Near impossible to score (patch 10.3)

No I'm not going to moan. Ive uploaded the game file on yousendit to show how difficult it seems to score. This is only one example of about 20 games where I barely score any goals. The strikers I have are excellent for this league and should be banging them in. Instead I come across superman GK's and always hit the woodwork in EVERY game.

At international level the same occurs - I always hit the woodwork. Never ever have I scored from a set-piece since this new patch. The players 90% of the time header the ball over the bar.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/RmNBNHA5NEhsMHlGa1E9PQ (only available for 100 downloads and 7-day period)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im sorry mate but my experience with this patch is completely different. Im in my fourth season with Celtic and this has been my most prolific season yet. We have scored an almost ridiculous 73 goals in 20 league matches. Another 21 in cup competitions.

Sorry you are having a tough time, but the problem is not the patch.

In my first season since this patch.. I think it's the bees knees tbh..

I'm top of the Premiership, played 18, won 14, drawn 4, lost 0. 32 goals.. conceded 4, and i'm 10 points clear.

and not scoring from set pieces? if you choose the correct kick taker, you should score... worked for me.

Ive set loads of new records :) such as, time/games without conceding a goal, winning streak..games unbeaten in a row etc..etc..

Good job SI.

I'd suggest looking into the Tactics and Training Tips forum if you're struggling to score, perhaps a tweak could help a misfiring squad.

I wasn't struggling at all until I downloaded this patch. I was beating Holland with Scotland until I used this patch.

I'd suggest looking into the Tactics and Training Tips forum if you're struggling to score, perhaps a tweak could help a misfiring squad.
What league is this ? and what team are you ..

Just took over from Blackpool and got in some good strikers who are very good for this standard of football yet they barely score any goals. They hit there shots straight at the GK, all headers are over the bar or straight into the GKs arms. What's weird is the opposition scores from set-pieces and one-ones yet I cant. I have only scored from one header in a total count of 45 towards goal. This was from open play - I decided to count them and mark down which went wide, over the bar, straight at the GK etc. but got bored so decided just to keep tabs on how many I had headed at goal Vs how many I score.

if you are asking me? then when i say basic i mean a basic 4-4-2 flat back 4, 4 across the middle and 2 up front.

i use the tactics creator to create the 4-4-2 and have the following for each postion, both CB set to limited, automatic FB, ML/MR are set to attacking, 2 MC one is set to support one is set to defend, 1 CF is set to DLF and the other to ADV F, the only thing i changed when i got my new CF was to make the ADV forward a Poacher as his stats suit that roll slightly better, so basically all the positions are the default ones the creator selects apart from changing the adv forward to a poacher.

this is what i call a basic 4-4-2, no deep laying play makers, adv wingers or any sort of unusual formation.

then i look at the players stats and the roll they have, if one player for example has long shots set to high but only has a long shot rating of 3 then of course i set it to the lowest setting but mostly i am happy to go with the default settings for most players. I do not alter any of the mental settings, closing down settings etc etc. the 2 main things i look at are running with the ball and long shots.

i dont alter the default width, defensive line etc, i am not playing with a target man set or play maker, i set corner takers, who takes throw ins etc.

you might not call this "basic" but compared to some of the formations i have used and made this is very basic for me, i am sure it will change and evolve over the seasons as my tactics always do, usually ending up in a totally different formation a few seasons down the line :)

Narrow formation with 1) central players "try through ball often" 2) wide player "cut inside" are killer move in 10.2. But it no longer work well in 10.3. Try play more wing attack with "cross often" will help you improve your score ratio.

i have to agree about headers. whether its from a set piece or open play it goes over the bar, yet the opposition almost always get it on target.

also players just walk through defenses now and injuries during a game are becoming a joke.

the previous patch for me only needed a couple of tweaks (1 on 1's, crossing) but know its unplayable and predictable.

going to try reinstall to see if it helps cos some people have no problem with it.

So you haven't tweaked the formation at all.
Narrow formation with 1) central players "try through ball often" 2) wide player "cut inside" are killer move in 10.2. But it no longer work well in 10.3. Try play more wing attack with "cross often" will help you improve your score ratio.

I play wing play and it worse. All players will just header the ball over the bar or straight at the GK. My striker has 19 for heading and he keeps heading it over the ball or straight at the GK.

I play wing play and it worse. All players will just header the ball over the bar or straight at the GK. My striker has 19 for heading and he keeps heading it over the ball or straight at the GK.

Keep trying, something in that tactic or shoutbox will trigger your strikers to score. Try getting your striker to play slightly more defensive.

Try this: Both of your strikers as poachers

Your midfield: long shots rarely with Run with ball often and through balls often

Touchline instruction: Get stuck in and hassle opponents

Try this: Both of your strikers as poachers

Your midfield: long shots rarely with Run with ball often and through balls often

Touchline instruction: Get stuck in and hassle opponents

They are still hopeless. Keep heading the ball over the bar or straight at the keeper. I keep hitting the woodwork a lot also. 3 times on average.

With through balls my players get lots of chances but always strike the ball straight at the GK. Still hopeless.

Why cant I score from a corner anymore? 20 games without a goal from a set-piece. Not even a penalty. Im sitting here scratching my head wondering why since I installed this patch I can predict nearly every shot and cross from a corner.

ok so i did a complete reinstall deleting every fie i could find.

1st game back against an average side but scored from a free kick, a header from a cross and 3 1 on 1's.

prior to reinstall i could never score goals like this

ok so i did a complete reinstall deleting every fie i could find.

1st game back against an average side but scored from a free kick, a header from a cross and 3 1 on 1's.

prior to reinstall i could never score goals like this

So uninstall FM and then re-install from scratch as if you just bought the game? also re-install the patch?

How is it that a striker who is tall, strong and has a heading ability of 18 and jumping 17 keep blasting it over the bar? He is considered good for the league and his moral is very good.

Never mind them trying to kill the GK by blasting the ball straight at him.

No I'm not going to moan. Ive uploaded the game file on yousendit to show how difficult it seems to score. This is only one example of about 20 games where I barely score any goals. The strikers I have are excellent for this league and should be banging them in. Instead I come across superman GK's and always hit the woodwork in EVERY game.

At international level the same occurs - I always hit the woodwork. Never ever have I scored from a set-piece since this new patch. The players 90% of the time header the ball over the bar.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/RmNBNHA5NEhsMHlGa1E9PQ (only available for 100 downloads and 7-day period)

would u b so kind as to post your save here? i wish to try and see - if i can SCORE with YOUR team and MY tactics?

My best striker has scored 24 in 20 games and keeps it going over and over again...

• SI Staff

I've been playing FML with this same ME for a couple of weeks, and its clear you need to use touchline instructions at the right times to get the best from your players, and control the course of the matches.

If that's the case Paul is there any chance of an official SI document being released to explain exactly what shouts are designed to do and how they can best be used? I've downloaded and read the TT&F guide, but didn't really learn a great deal from it. I've been playing CM/FM since 97/98 so the basics aren't a problem, but the fine detail of the more recent tactics changes still escapes me.

sored 22 (!!!) goals (and conceded 1) in the first 4 matches with this patch (vs. getafe, rangers, almeira, malaga) . 9 from set-pieces. "guy outside the area" and "far post guy" doing most of the set-piece scoring. the strikers are prolific as are the attacking midfielders. poacher and box-to-box players are working well (were kinda duds in older versions). i like this patch. great work SI. (BTW i am Barcelona in 2013).

I may be wrong here, but it looks like the people who are playing with top league clubs (I'm seeing Chelsea, Barca, Celtic and an unnamed Serie A team) are scoring freely, but people managing in the Championship or below are struggling. Always an issue given the incredible variety of leagues FM offers.

If that's the case Paul is there any chance of an official SI document being released to explain exactly what shouts are designed to do and how they can best be used? I've downloaded and read the TT&F guide, but didn't really learn a great deal from it. I've been playing CM/FM since 97/98 so the basics aren't a problem, but the fine detail of the more recent tactics changes still escapes me.

http://www.fm-britain.co.uk/2009/11/04/what-do-the-touchline-instructions-or-shouts-actually-do/

There you go :) .

Well I suggest you read patch notes carefully. You might be using a tactics approach that led your team to efficiently exploit defending flaws in previous patch.

On the other hand it might be inconsistency of your strikers, their morale and/or motivation. Having, a bad results streak can make your top goalscorer have flat 6.2 average last 10 games with 0 goals. Consider playing a young talent and reserve striker up front for 3-5 games not letting your main striker even come off the bench into the game. They will come back so motivated you'd be amazed. Don't tell them you'll rest them just drop them from selection.

To be honest Oxford Canary I dont think we have the time. I doubt we could do a better job of it than the folks in T&T anyway :)

Hi Paul,

I don't find that a terribly helpful response if I'm honest! I and many others appreciate how much time SI spend on here replying to users who are having problems, but, there must be so many players who buy this game and don't know about / have time to trawl through these busy forums. There is a distinct lack of guidance or documentation which comes with the game and whilst TT&F is a good read it doesn't necessarily offer a lot more than a few years of playing previous versions can offer. I'm sure 10.3 is a major improvement on 10.2 (it always is!) but yet again, I feel like I am back to square one with the tactics engine.

Thanks for your time and input though, it is definitely appreciated.

I may be wrong here, but it looks like the people who are playing with top league clubs (I'm seeing Chelsea, Barca, Celtic and an unnamed Serie A team) are scoring freely, but people managing in the Championship or below are struggling...

That's possible as I am playing as Chelsea (2020) and having installed the 10.3 patch near the end of the previous season I am playing rather well(and scoring) especially against the other big clubs. I've had a 3-0 victory over Man City (whom I always struggle against) a 4-1 victory over Man Utd and now in my last match a 8-1 victory over Liverpool(a rather big achievement for myself). :D

Here's a screenie of my fixtures:

Chelsea.png

Here is how my primary striker has been performing so far this season(never had a striker bag a goal every game :eek:).

5FlavioGatto.png

I've played 5 games since the patch, and am amazingly surprised. Aside from the corner bug (which, by the way guys, you can ignore, if it bothers you. Just don't set your corners up like that) - the game seems SO much cleaner. My tactic actually replicates how I've set it up now. I can use wingers, rather than having to play with a narrow formation to get a win, Players perform how I ask them to, and at last, my strikers can score. I play in English Tier 9, and this patch has renewed my interest in FM10.

Archived