Strikers scoring all goals!

Hi,

Im 36, have been playing CM since Domark and have never missed a version, its cost me 2 relationships!

However, despite all the fireworks surrounding the release I am a little worried.

Firstly I played the demo and was really impressed by the speed, baring in mind that in my 2009 game I am 6 teams and every nations with all divisions is in it. So that is something to look forward to.

The skin does not bother me too much, Im sure I will get used to it.

The transfers seem to need tweaking, I would further like to see teams bowing to monster bids and players bowing to monster wages, If a team is willing to break the bank for someone, it doesn't mean the player has to be happy there when he arrives!

The match engine is aesthetically very pleasing and yes I see a stadium editor coming very soon (Hint hint!) The game runs really smoothly but the heartbreaker is the goal scorers, The top two are getting far too many goals, and it goes right the way down, all the games.

I appreciate that the game engine must be ever so difficult to code and it is awesome in its own right, however the playability is lessened by the front 2 scoring 20 a piece, as we stand I actually prefer FM2009 for the match, but only as there is more chance of other players scoring.

Its a case of every now and again a player popping up in a different area, certainly after corners and free kicks, maybe midfielders could burst through ahead of the strikers more often, I don't know. Myber more rifled shots bouncing before the keeper etc too. I do apperciate this maybe near on imp[ossible to code and I guarantee you have looked at it.

Im not bitching too much, what you have achieved is more amazing than ever. Just my 2 penny worth for the patch.

I will be buying it no question, I am another who buys new computers to house FM!, just seems odd that I am still into my FM2009 game.

Well done in any case.

Strikers scoring all the goals could be at least partially down to your tactics. If you play a fairly long or direct style or have strikers running with the ball, they are going to get isolated from the rest of your team and it will either be them scoring or no one. If you play a shorter passing style, or have strikers holding the ball up and bringing other players into the game, the goals should be spread around a bit more.

On the demo I have actually had more players from other postions score then in previous versions. My Wingers and Midfield have all scored a couple of goals, and the CB have scored from Free Kicks and Corners. The strikers score the majority of the goals, but for me the ratio has gone down. FM09 had my strikers scoring 95% of my goals (unless I setup and exploited the Corner bug).

It's a genuine issue. Wingers are reluctant to cut in and take a shot whatever their settings and midfielders almost never run beyond the strikers. The strikers get through on goal way too easily and if you add the ridiculous amount of defensive errors that plague this version you get strikers scoring 20+ goals in half a season. Which is absolutely ridiculous on the top level.

It's a genuine issue. Wingers are reluctant to cut in and take a shot whatever their settings and midfielders almost never run beyond the strikers. The strikers get through on goal way too easily and if you add the ridiculous amount of defensive errors that plague this version you get strikers scoring 20+ goals in half a season. Which is absolutely ridiculous on the top level.

Thank you, someone else who appreciates what I am saying. I appreciate that it is difficult but if you look at all the other teams you will find that their strikers are scoring a lot of goals.

Its something to work on. I thought "Brilliant!" when I saw fluid attacking, I was expecting players to interchange, overlap, cut in etc. Since I have played for Spurs, Lennon has yet to score and it has been Keane, Defoe, and Crouch! (Loads) of goals.

If you guys are happy at the "Kick Off3" area then fine, I personally want to see the banks of 4-4-2 broken down, fitness coming into it, breaks where the player accelerates away, defenders too tired to get back when the sub is on.

Its loads to ask for and I know SI want it in, but it just seems to me at the moment that although the smoothness and passes look better, indeed some of the interchange do. But the strikers are scoring too many.

Keep going SI!

Strikers scoring all the goals could be at least partially down to your tactics. If you play a fairly long or direct style or have strikers running with the ball, they are going to get isolated from the rest of your team and it will either be them scoring or no one. If you play a shorter passing style, or have strikers holding the ball up and bringing other players into the game, the goals should be spread around a bit more.

I was managing Spurs and playing short passes and fluid game.!

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. I have noticed that it has at least been acknowledged by the testers on the bugs forums and they are looking into goal ratios for positions. I have no real problem with a human player setting up a tactic designed to maximise chances for strikers but when the vast majority of an AI teams goals come from strikers then I feel it is a problem. I noticed Emile Heskey scoring 11 goals in 12 games in one of my goes on the demo, whereas Ashley Young scored 2 in 21, personally I feel that is a problem as it just doesn't happen IRL. In another, Filipo Inzaghi scored 9 goals in Serie A without even starting a game.

I'm glad the strikers are scoring most of the goals. For me, they never scored enough in FM2009.

Besides, looking at the current top scorers in the Premier League irl, only 3 of them are not strikers..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...rs/default.stm

This may be so, but its the amount of goals that strikers are scoring which is the problem. In the Premier League last season no-one scored 20 league goals and only 3 players scored 15 or more. I've seen Carlos Tevez scoring 20 league goals in the demo which is stretching the boundaries of reality somewhat. The Good Players and Teams Forum seems to be full of posters stating 'wow player x scored 15 goals in 10 games for me he's great!'. I'm not saying it should never happen just that it appears to happen to frequently for it to be any kind of achievement whatsoever. For god sake someone had Henri Camara, a free transfer, scoring over 30 goals in around 25 games!

I really do hope this is tweaked for the boxed version as FM09's goal ratios for positions were perfect if you avoided the corner bug.

In my small experience of FM2009 and demo 2010, I can confirm that when I play a low class team as Paris St Germain, the player are playing nice passes all the time, nice touch, smoothly etc.. like I manage Manchester. In reality, PSG is not playing so good, even if you find the best tactic. BUT, when I play against for ex Manchester, it seems that the only difference for Manchester to win is the speed of action and each player, there is no difference in the way to play ! Who catch the ball the first will goal !

This is what I felt, the match engine seems to run in the same way for all the team but the collective speed is only changing.

Maybe I'm wrong ...

I think that the key is the player condition in the match :

- if a player is starting with 100% condition and go down to 60%, the impact is seen of the ball control, speed etc..

So the game become more difficult for lower team who are usually physically weak.

I hope that in FM2010, the condition will impact more the performance and the condition will go down more often, so a striker will not be able to gaol so often ( like real ).

Lack of variety is indeed one of the biggest issues with the ME. It's the same pattern of play all the time regardless of how you set your team up to play. The ball is being passed around in midfield until one of the three things happens:

1) midfielder tries a pot shot from distance;

2) through pass releases a striker/tries to release a striker -> striker getting through one on one or

3) through pass releases a wide player -> ball crossed in towards a striker.

My second demo game was in Brazil, I picked the same formation for Corinthians as I had done for Man Utd in my first game - a standard attacking 4-4-2 that virtually no other team over there apparently uses. Most of them lined up with some sort of weird variant of 4-2-2-2 with no wide players. But the games still looked pretty much the same as they did in my Utd save. The pattern above still almost never varied.

Neil,

Can you tell me if the impact of the player condition is higher in FM2010 ?

I felt that in FM2009, a player with 75 or 80% of condition were still running and doing excellent passes, dribbles. Has this been improved ?

Thanks in advance.

According to the statistics, in our current Match Engine 50-60% of goals are scored by strikers. That's a fair way off of being all goals scored by strikers.

Brings back memories of yesteryear FM games (CM) when some tactics birthed strikers who notched up 100 goals per season.

In the demo, I found the stats to be pretty decent. JD 16 goals, Keane 15. Probably more than either will have by the time Xmas comes round in real life, but the rest of the goals were shared between the midfield and a couple of defenders.

According to the statistics, in our current Match Engine 50-60% of goals are scored by strikers. That's a fair way off of being all goals scored by strikers.

Hello Neil, weird thing. I also felt strikers are scoring too many goals. But after your post I started doing the math in my own game, I manage Barcelona and I have scored 64 goals until end of demo:

- Ibrahimovic, Bojan and Henry as strikers scored 36 of them: 56,3 %

- My wingers scored 12 of the 64: 18,8%

- My central midfield (a dmc, 2 mc's) scored 8 of the 64: 12,5%

- My defenders: 8 out of 64: 12,5%

I have to add to that that I only had 1 perfectly suitable inside winger, Messi who scored 8 out of the 12 winger goals and also added 9 assists. So with also a good inside left winger I might have scored more from the winger position. And I felt my attacking central midfielder did not get in the box enough even though have the prefered moves to do so. So if there is anything out of tune in the 4-3-3 tactic I use, it is the central attacking midfielder not really getting into scoring positions enough.

Valencia, the number 2 in the league , playing the same system (4-1-2-2-1) as I did,shows the following:

A total of 46 goals:

Strikers: 22/46 = 48%

Wingers: 12/46 =26%

Central midfield: 9/46 = 20%

defenders: 3/46 = 6%

Again very decent and very much accurate with the statement by Neil Brock.

I have also looked at Real Madrid (nr 4 in the league). Clearly they are only relying on 2 strikers in their 4-4-2 defensive formation. 28 out of 41 goals are scored by the strikers: 68 percent. That also means Christiano Ronaldo is not scoring enough goals, he only scored 3 after half a season.

Espanyol is the number 3 in my demo and it is very obvious again that with their flat 4-4-2 system it is all about the striker. Topscorer has 16 goals, the SC and the number 2 topscorer in that team only has scored twice.

Sevilla is the number 5 in the league, playing the same system as Real Madrid and you can guess it again: 31/39 goals are scored by the strikers: 79 percent

I am therefore thinking the strikers scoring too much overall is not the problem. The tactic is a big factor in who scores the goals. When playing a 4-4-2 strikers will be the centre of a team, wingers and midfielders will mainly support and thus score less. With a 4-3-3 the goals will be spread more with good wingers who have the space to roam more and get in front of the goal. Is there a problem with strikers scoring too much? Not in a 4-3-3, yes in a 4-4-2. I think SI could finetune the goals being divided a bit when playing a 4-4-2, Christiano Ronaldo in a 4-4-2 will still score loads of goals. And in a 4-3-3 the central midfielder in an attacking role should be able to score quite a few goals. Other than that I think SI has done a good job.

I hope this information helps in the discussion! :)

Archived