Anyway to make FM09 run faster?

I find the game a little slow sometimes, I have a quad core amd phenom x4 940 3ghz processor and 3gb ram.

It's frustrating, It's also a shame that the game doesn't take advantage of the 4 processors.

If i add anymore ram would that make it a little faster?

I am running Windows 7 64 Bit.

delete all of your graphics inc.. facepacks,skins,logos if you have put any that worked for me

Graphics have no affect on game speed, they only slow the game down on startup. But if you have skin cache selected in preferences then there will be no slowdown caused by custom graphics.

I find the game a little slow sometimes, I have a quad core amd phenom x4 940 3ghz processor and 3gb ram.

It's frustrating, It's also a shame that the game doesn't take advantage of the 4 processors.

If i add anymore ram would that make it a little faster?

I am running Windows 7 64 Bit.

I wouldn't have thought more RAM would be neeed - best way to find out is go to Task Manager, click on the Performance tab and see what (if anything) is maxed out when playing FM. If nothing is maxed out, nothing needs upgrading, and you should consider playing with fewer leagues are shutting off background processes.

According to the website:

It works by temporarily shutting down background processes, cleaning RAM, and intensifying processor performance. That means you can keep all the features of Microsoft® Windows® Vista™ and XP® ready for when you need them, but turn them off when you are ready to get down to serious business – gaming. Game Booster makes it simpler to enjoy the latest games and take your experience to a new level. All systems go!

Could someone tell me how this game booster works? I would feel more comfortable using it if i new exactly what it does to speed up the game.

I've tried it just as I was curious.

Visibly, all you see it do is close down some nonessential services (a few network ones, Windows Aero effect and a few others). It's nice to have as a toggle I guess.

I would just say to the OP. Welcome to the club :p

I, amongst others, have been posting quite a bit about this, to find out why it is this way on quad-cores. You can check out my posts and you will find more threads about the "quad-issue".

The game takes advantage of your quad core. Unfortunately even quad cores are not fast enough for the game. You can try overclocking your processor. That's pretty much the only way to improve the performance, while other "solutions" like defragging, disabling background processes etc. are mostly pointless since you wont get any perceivable improvement.

You could try playing with less leagues, smaller db, disabling full detail in competitions you dont care about.

Graphics have no affect on game speed, they only slow the game down on startup. But if you have skin cache selected in preferences then there will be no slowdown caused by custom graphics.

Sorry to be thick but just to clarify - you should have skin cache selected?

Sorry to be thick but just to clarify - you should have skin cache selected?

Yes, go to the Preferences in FM and tick the Skin Cache option. This basically speeds up the loading of the game every time you start it (but it won't load any new graphics you include with this option selected).

Gamebooster basically just disables a bunch of services. It doesnt help much unless you already have an obsolete pc with little ram. I dont think you will notice any difference on a quad core with enough ram. Just a warning..most of those services are useful and thats why they are running.

Since you have an AMD computer you could perhaps try their own utility for game boosting. It does pretty much the same thing plus a few hardware tricks.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_fusion.aspx?p=1

The best possible cpu you can afford. There are quad core notebooks available but they arent cheap. Also stay away from integrated gfx cards. If you cant afford one with a dedicated gfx card at least get one with an ati or nvidia integrated gfx. 3 or 4 gb of ram should be more than enough. Dont expect too much since notebooks are much slower than comparatively priced desktops.

Thanks to this thread I've downloaded gamebooster but haven't had time fo ran FM session since. Can I just ask, presumably it's better that you're not online, but will it interfere with firing up WMP to play background music?

Could be. Its disabling a lot of services and some of them might be needed for online connection and media playing. You can select which ones you wish to disable.

with 64 bit vista you should really have 4GB RAM minimum really. Especially for games.

Nah..I have a 64bit vista with 4gb of ram and i dont think i ever needed that much ram running any of the games. Hell i even leave FM running while playing some other game and it still works just fine.

Amen to those suggesting Game Booster, it is a great utility to use when playing games. Running less leagues definately helps, but that is already widely known. This link http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Tips_on_making_your_game_run_faster_%28PC_Edition%29 from the Wiki has a few suggestions on how to make your game run faster.

Hope that helps.

Archived