Have you deliberately thrown a game?

Not since it backfired on the original CM. I was managing Notts Co in Div3 and against all expectations got to the playoff final. I knew my squad had as much chance as a snowball in hell in Div2 so played the weakest team I could with a striker in goal and a couple of goalkeepers up front. No chance of winning, right? No, one of the goalies got a hat-trick and we won 4-0.

Suprisingly managed to survive the following season. I have not tried this trick again:)

I've twice been in the situation in international tournaments where it was better for me to finish second in the group as I'd get an easier draw than to win the group. In the latest one I only needed a draw to go through and was playing the current group leaders Romania. Annoyingly despite my defensive tactics we went into 1-0 and 3-1 leads, however Romania pressed hard for the result and in the 92nd minute equalised to make it 3-3. I went onto play Russia and ended up in the final, Romania lost 5-3 to Holland.

I effectiely threw my first UEFA cup run with vauxhall motors on FM8 - my squad wasn't big enough to compete for it so i figured i'd just let my U18 team have a go - needless to say they got knocked out in the first round lol

I've wanted to a few times. When first reaching europe in the CL and wanting to have a few goes in the euro cup as opposed to the CL knockouts until I was sure I was strong enough, when playing rivals to teams I want relegated... generally when things are bad and I want to move on. My sense of professionalism means I'd never do it but at times it can't help but pop into your head.

I often put out weak teams in cups like the Johnstone's Paint Trophy and the Setanta Shield.

Not quite sure why you'd want to throw a CL game though, there's a lot more money available in the CL than the UEFA Cup, even if you don't get very far.

Well for me its about building up european momentum (and coefficient points) as well as a test of where you stand on a continental scale. Especially as on my only proper 09 save the CL was my first european qualification so it had more merit as an 'entry level test'. And I did get Liverpool, Bayern and Ajax on the Uefa run having (not deliberately) failed to get out of the group so there was value to it. As it happens another reason I don't do it is you never know how you'll do. I made it out of the group the following year and did very well. Just as fortunes picked up after the poor spell where I wished things would stay bad so I'd be fired and move on, leading to amazing success. Each to our own.

"Not quite sure why you'd want to throw a CL game though, there's a lot more money available in the CL than the UEFA Cup, even if you don't get very far."

True. I found out that celtic last season made the same amount of money as rangers from european competition

Celtic lost in first knockout round of UCL

Rangers came third in UCL group and then lost in Uefa cup final

So the money Celtic got from just one round was the same as the money rangers had to earn over all those knockout rounds in the uefa cup

Taking the UCL option is better for your team, even if you know you cant compete because of a free scedule at the critical point of the season and lots of money banked for next seasons signings. However if your like me and would like to win silverwear occasionally (my getafe side has a spanish cup in its name in 2 seasons) then the uefa may be the answer

I did it last night :D I am currently Bayern Munich in 2017 and having already won the league championship and was playing Glabach (one of Bayerns rivals) on the last day of the season and they needed a draw to avoid 2nd last spot. Seeing as i raided their squad in the January transfer window by signing up 3 of their top 3 young stars i felt guilty. So i decided to play a completely in experienced squad made up of reserves. They won 2-1 after i dominated the game but couldn`t score but the coming season i will not let them off so lightly asi copped a roasting from the Board for the loss versus one of my rivals :)

I don't go into games wanting to throw them, however, if I'm playing in the FA cup and it's a draw coming up to 80 odd minutes I do tend to go stupidly gung-ho as I can't stand cup replays so would rather go out than face one (usually I'm in no position to win the FA cup). I occasionally do it in other cups too if I'm coming towards extra time. I'm just not a cup manager...

Archived