FMS Community Thread Mk II

Terk

This may be classed as rude, but I'm a fairly blunt and honest person...

When I first joined the forum, Terk had a reputation for starting stories and not finishing them, I think PM7 consistently teased him about it.

Of course that reputation no longer belongs to Terk as he has written several very good stories that he is still updating and my hats off to him as I'm one of the biggest fans of his stories.

I'd like to venture out and say something here, I think Sherm is the new Terk.

Started several promising stories recently (last few months) which have just died after a few weeks/getting to 15/20 posts.

Apologies if viewed as offensive/insulting, just thought I'd say what I'm thinking.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first joined the forum, Terk had a reputation for starting stories and not finishing them, I think PM7 consistently teased him about it.

Of course that reputation no longer belongs to Terk as he has written several very good stories that he is still updating and my hats off to him as I'm one of the biggest fans of his stories.

Started several promising stories recently (last few months) which have just died after a few weeks/getting to 15/20 posts.

Apologies if viewed as offensive/insulting, just thought I'd say what I'm thinking.

How dare you even share an opinion.

That is what I was thinking, and I really don't meean to be rude, but he has at least 10 stories with less than 15 posts in them.

Finishing what you start can be hard, especially when you don't get paid for what you write. Take a look up and down the forum and see how many stories are well and truly FINISHED. There are a larger number of stories that are longtime works in progress (it's going to take me all summer to finish Rat Pack's season, for example), but I think you'll find the number is very small. Many of the finished works are HoF candidates because of the time and effort their authors put in. I'm thinking of Faramir's East Sterling story, for example, here.

We do ask for effort, and I'm trying to encourage that in my personal mails. I admire the industry of some of the newer writers like mytton and JamboJen who came in here and have done a job over the long haul. Applause to them.

I thought that any team out of Newcastle, Middlesborough, Hull and Sunderland that managed to nick a win somewhere would probably stay up. Absolutely huge result for Newcastle in front of their home crowd. Sounds like it was quite tense and tight when it was 1-1, but you would expect them to carry some momentum into their last 2 games. Another point is probably enough to stay up this year.

That said, Newcastle have tough fixtures. Fulham aren't the best on the road but they are in good form. Villa away is probably looking winnable given Villa's form problems, but Newcastle is weakest in defence and Villa have still be scoring goals, so the Toon will need at least a point at home to Fulham to have any chance.

It will be tense, tense, tense at the bottom going into the final weeks!

As for English teams taking the second-tierd Euopean competition seriously, I think Fulham would take it seriously given that they would just be in it for the ride and enjoying themselves. Man City would also surely take it seriously, as Huges will need to win something if he wants to keep his job! (Actually, to be honest I reckon if by Jan Huges does not have City in the top-6, he will get the sack).

What would be seen as a "completed" story.

If I ended mine' date=' would that been seen as a successful story or more of a stopped story?[/quote']

Here's the thing. A traditional story has a beginning, middle and end.

An FM story differs because in theory it's a "neverending story" - only to be finished by retirement. And that hardly ever happens.

The only way I can think to effectively finish a story is to finish a "part" of it, like leave a club after a successful spell or have a life-changing event alter something.

So you could end up with a trilogy of stories!

In the instance of FMS, a "successful" story would be seen as "completed" - and as a rough guideline, one that runs for several seasons at least and has "highs and lows".

Here's the thing. A traditional story has a beginning, middle and end.

An FM story differs because in theory it's a "neverending story" - only to be finished by retirement. And that hardly ever happens.

The only way I can think to effectively finish a story is to finish a "part" of it, like leave a club after a successful spell or have a life-changing event alter something.

So you could end up with a trilogy of stories!

In the instance of FMS, a "successful" story would be seen as "completed" - and as a rough guideline, one that runs for several seasons at least and has "highs and lows".

Well, the forerunner to Rat Pack was finished, but not intentionally when I started to write it. Rob Ridgway changed clubs, and changed countries, so I felt it best to end American Calcio where I did and begin "Rat Pack". If Ridgway stays at Reading after this season, Rat Pack will continue. If I stopped that story with Rob still in Berkshire, it would be foul play and rightly so.

There are folks like Mark Wilson27 who have changed clubs more than once and kept a story going ("United We Stand, United We Fall"). Up to the author, in my opinion.

Well, the forerunner to Rat Pack was finished, but not intentionally when I started to write it. Rob Ridgway changed clubs, and changed countries, so I felt it best to end American Calcio where I did and begin "Rat Pack". If Ridgway stays at Reading after this season, Rat Pack will continue. If I stopped that story with Rob still in Berkshire, it would be foul play and rightly so.

There are folks like Mark Wilson27 who have changed clubs more than once and kept a story going ("United We Stand, United We Fall"). Up to the author, in my opinion.

Indeedy.

But back to the initial "thing" (complete writers block in trying to think of a suitable word there!) I think the problem is the sheer amount of stories that are started and left unsaid within a few posts that is causing the criticism - and maybe that IS a bit valid. Even a word at the end such as "Abandoned due to..." or something would help, but leaving one unannounced and starting another... and another... and another...

Would seem in bad taste to me. Some could call it spam!

I'm thinking that Tevez will be off to Real in the summer. They're in need of a new striker and Real are immensely popular among the South Americans so that's where I see him going. I think he respects Man U too much as a club to leave and go to their rivals, Man City, but it's not unheard of.

I'd love to see him at Chelsea (and if I'm right, he almost signed for Chelsea instead of United? The news at the time was that SAF signed him primarily to keep him away from Chelsea and from forming a partnership with Drogba rather than for his own team I think?) but I don't think he'll want to be here.

And, as was stated by Markyt, I think we'll be seeing a lot of players leaving Chelsea this summer. If we're to win the PL again, we need to get rid of some of the dead wood (Ballack, Kalou, Beletti....And I'm not sure whether I want Drogba out or not....yea what the hell, lose him as well :D) and bring in a few more young-ish players.

As for Liverpool, I don't think they should or will go out and bring in loads of new players. A few back ups and maybe another world-class defender to play at the back and that would be all I should think. After coming close this year, an overhaul would be unfair on the current set of players

Where it now says 'Moderator' under my name, it used to say 'Story Whore' (between those times it said 'CMS Air Hockey Champion' as I kicked everyone's ass at the Groningen meet-up, but that's another story) and it was a reputation which was fully deserved; I must have started twenty or thirty stories before I properly stuck to one.

Indeed, to my mind I still haven't 'finished' a story. Sure, I've completed parts 1 & 2 of the trilogy I'm currently writing (and part 3 is written to a finish in word, I just forget to post it sometimes), but I haven't taken the tale of a game from start to finish.

Finished stories, as such, are actually very rare on the forum. Career games tend to be so long that people will often have naturally drifted away from FMS before they come to an end. It's one of the reasons why it's so difficult for stories to get into the Hall of Fame, and why that accolade is so prestigious, because a story needs to be finished before it is eligible to be entered.

I noticed someone said Frank Rijkaard was going to manage Chelsea?

I heard on SBS sports here in Australia, that he has signed up with Ajax to replace Van Basten.

Gotta love all the coaching failures from the stars of the 90's. Van Basten, Klinsmann, Rijkaard, Donadoni..... oh the failures!! :D

@ Tubey. Screen shot or it didnt happen. (lol jokes!)

Finished stories, as such, are actually very rare on the forum. Career games tend to be so long that people will often have naturally drifted away from FMS before they come to an end. It's one of the reasons why it's so difficult for stories to get into the Hall of Fame, and why that accolade is so prestigious, because a story needs to be finished before it is eligible to be entered.

Either that or the fact that FM is based on a perpetual sport and comes out with a new version every year. While FMS in particular is pretty good at sticking with older versions of the game, I know there certainly is a tendency for me to stop playing older versions of the game when I pick up a new one. No more playing then tends to = no more writing.

It's also harder (I think) to engage the audience when you are writing about another time period in a club's history. Take Spav's recent post in his Olympiakos story; I felt like I was re-living the days of my youth reading about that Liverpool lineup! Might work for a relative oldie like me, but chances are it might somewhat lose a younger reader who might be like "Eh, Owen doesn't play for Liverpool! When did that ever happen?" :p

Finishing a story can be hard, even for non-FM storylines. Heck, I have about four other stories running elsewhere that I have not properly 'finished'. It's like a bloody soap opera. :o

Back to football. I guess the winner of Newcastle vs Hull will stay up, but it really would be a shame for either team to go down. That said, I think the Toon will just squeak it.

I said Newcastle would be the safest bet to stay up :D As much as I would love the Bluebirds to be playing at St James' Park next season :p. They have the "easiest" run in compared to Hull and Sunderland, and should have enough to stave off relegation and have a complete overhaul in the summer. I think unless Boro can suddenly conjour something up to beat Aston Villa at the Riverside on Saturday they are doomed because I can see Sunderland beating Portsmouth.

If WBA survive again, I think I will have a special place for them in my heart :p

I love FM ^^ Bizarre things that happen as the seasons go by make me laugh.

This for example;

Aiden McGaedy has moved clubs five times in four seasons:

Man City (from Celtic) £15m (2009/10) Makes 10 appearances.

AC Milan (from Man City) £19.75m (2010/11) Makes 2 appearances.

Tottenham (from AC Milan) £18.25m (2011/12) Makes 6 appearances.

Man City (again!) (from Tottenham) £19.25m (2011/12) Makes 8 appearances.

Inter Milan (from Man City) £22.5m (2012/13)

So he plays 26 times in four years, yet commands almost £100m in transfer fees.

Mentalists!

Look back through your word document. Make the changes you want. Re-post.

That's cheating...

Isn't the standard line something along the lines of:

'I woke up and it was all just a horrible dream..."?

That's cheating...

Isn't the standard line something along the lines of:

'I woke up and it was all just a horrible dream..."?

Yup.

Or "the guy I killed was actually my evil twin sister. Doctor Vesuvius still lives!"

Cue sequel etc. ^^

In school, I was advised against using the "I woke up and it was all a dream" ending. Apparantely it shows that you do not know how to end a story properly.

The Americans love it though. The 80s sitcom Newhart ended that way, where it was shown in the season finale that everything was just a dream. It was voted best ending ever.

:rolleyes:

Test matches should go back to Channel 4, and get Richie Benaud back...

Wouldn't mind a bit more golf on the BBC - their coverage of the Open and the Masters is far better than on Sky, so wouldn't mind seeing the other majors, and maybe the Players Championship as well (Sawgrass is a brilliant course).

I agree with the man above me with regards to football; ITV are godawful and deserve absolutely nothing (on the grounds that they have David Pleat, Robbie Earle, and Andy Townsend (I think that's his name!) as part of their analysis team).

I agree with the man above me with regards to football; ITV are godawful and deserve absolutely nothing (on the grounds that they have David Pleat, Robbie Earle, and Andy Townsend (I think that's his name!) as part of their analysis team).

Couldn't agree more strongly if I tried! Bloody awful! Another bonus of BBC is now that Shearer's a manager, he isn't a pundit. Didn't Ian Wright leave as well? Bonus!

If I'm remembering things correctly, Ian Wright Wright Wright left the BBC to do SKY's new version of Gladiators because he was tired of being treated like a jester. I'm not entirely sure he appreciated the irony of the situation though.

If I'm remembering things correctly, Ian Wright Wright Wright left the BBC to do SKY's new version of Gladiators because he was tired of being treated like a jester. I'm not entirely sure he appreciated the irony of the situation though.
Indeed, I was really glad to see him gone as his analysis was... how do you say... non-existent

Indeed, I was really glad to see him gone as his analysis was... how do you say... non-existent

I learned two things.

1. How much he loves England

2. How good SWP is.

Don't you think it's just amazing, how he adopted two kids who have become footballers and also Bradly Wright Phillips looks like him!

Am I only person in the world who doesn't mind Setanta? I'm just anti-monopoly I guess!

Yeah, I mean I know the pundits ("Macca"... *shudder*) are beyond awful but that Jose Mourinho puppet show thing is superb ^^

Am I only person in the world who doesn't mind Setanta? I'm just anti-monopoly I guess!

Yeah, I mean I know the pundits ("Macca"... *shudder*) are beyond awful but that Jose Mourinho puppet show thing is superb ^^

Tubey, it's the fact you have to pay what £10 a month when sometimes your team isn't on. I mean It's like 120 a year for about 4 Villa games all year! Can't miss them though.

Tubey' date=' it's the fact you have to pay what £10 a month when sometimes your team isn't on. I mean It's like 120 a year for about 4 Villa games all year! Can't miss them though.[/quote']

Ahh... Well, yeah guess thats a point. I don't mind watching the games as a neutral, and it's included in my Virgin package so I just take it for granted I guess.

Personally, I'd like to see a Premier League game on the BBC once a week. I honestly can't see why not; Sky pick 2/3 games to show, Setanta get 2, BBC gets one that nobody else gives a toss about. I don't understand why in the modern media era that any live football game is not on television!

Ahh... Well, yeah guess thats a point. I don't mind watching the games as a neutral, and it's included in my Virgin package so I just take it for granted I guess.

Personally, I'd like to see a Premier League game on the BBC once a week. I honestly can't see why not; Sky pick 2/3 games to show, Setanta get 2, BBC gets one that nobody else gives a toss about. I don't understand why in the modern media era that any live football game is not on television!

All I can say is,

thank the lord for streams on the Wb :thup::D.

Along with that, general games on TV and just my usual 10 home matches and couple away games a year, I only miss around 5/6 matches per year now.

Those one's being the 3pm kick offs like Villa Vs Stoke say when loads of other games are on instead of it!

Just be thankful that you can still get any football free-to-air in the UK, out here in Aus it's pay-TV or nothing; not to mention that if you want to watch it live, you're paying to watch something that clashes horribly with a thing called 'sleep' - which doesn't work all too well when you have a full-time job...

EDIT: I should correct that; we do get live broadcasts on free-to-air TV for the Champions League, FA Cup (only the final, this year they didn't show the semis), UEFA Cup, and some of the cup finals (they're showing the Italian Cup this year, usually show the Carling Cup final too). That said, match selection for the Champions League live match prior to the semis is usually awful; they always pick Liverpool and Chelsea games! :mad: and even worse, Liverpool v Chelsea games!! :mad: :mad:

Anyway, it's Burnley v Sheffield United for the final Premier League spot.

Predictions?

I love watching Setanta!!

Over here we get the French, Dutch, Italian and German leagues on it, breaks up the monopoly of watching the EPL sometimes

They also cover the BSP which I enjoy watching.

Fox Sports over here covers the EPL for us, we get the early game on saturday, after that there's 5 games picked, which you can watch any off or flick between them, then you can watch the late game after that. Then you get two Sunday games shown live and a Monday or Tuesday fixture, means we usually only miss out on 1 or two games a week, seeing I am a United follower it's never them.

I love watching Setanta!!

Over here we get the French, Dutch, Italian and German leagues on it, breaks up the monopoly of watching the EPL sometimes

They also cover the BSP which I enjoy watching.

Fox Sports over here covers the EPL for us, we get the early game on saturday, after that there's 5 games picked, which you can watch any off or flick between them, then you can watch the late game after that. Then you get two Sunday games shown live and a Monday or Tuesday fixture, means we usually only miss out on 1 or two games a week, seeing I am a United follower it's never them.

Ironically, I think you get to watch more Premier League football than an Englishman can without illegal means. Crazy really! We get two or three spread out over the weekend on Sky, two if you're luck on Setanta - and thats it.

Gief Fox Sports!!!!

And I agree about the European leagues; I watch the Bundesliga in particular as I think the football there is superb.

Just be thankful that you can still get any football free-to-air in the UK, out here in Aus it's pay-TV or nothing; not to mention that if you want to watch it live, you're paying to watch something that clashes horribly with a thing called 'sleep' - which doesn't work all too well when you have a full-time job...

EDIT: I should correct that; we do get live broadcasts on free-to-air TV for the Champions League, FA Cup (only the final, this year they didn't show the semis), UEFA Cup, and some of the cup finals (they're showing the Italian Cup this year, usually show the Carling Cup final too). That said, match selection for the Champions League live match prior to the semis is usually awful; they always pick Liverpool and Chelsea games! :mad: and even worse, Liverpool v Chelsea games!! :mad: :mad:

Same here. The local broadcaster have been priced out of all football activity (except for the local S-League, which even then is only shown once a week. Lazy bastards). Two very competitive cable operators constantly jacking up prices every season, for every tournament they can get. We now get league matches (EPL and most major European Leagues, plus FA Cup etc) on one cable operator, while the Champions League (plus Serie A) goes to the other cable operator. Internationals, when they come around, results in another bidding war which see prices go up again.

Archived