FMS Community Thread Mk II

Terk

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why don't sky ever show a 3 o'clock kick off on a Saturday?

They're not allowed to. It's one of the more archaic rules of the TV rights for the Premier League, but it's felt that if they show a 3:00 kick-off on a Saturday (the traditional football kick off time) then it would disproportionately affect attendances. No, I don't get the logic either, but that's the way it goes.

I can understand why, it's more to do with showing a Premier League match live on tv when all the lower leagues are playing, the view is that it will affect their attendances as fans who may support a big side and their local one will not attend the local sides games if a premiership match is on TV.

No time to read any of this thread (again :( ) unfortunately - too busy at work.

Just wanted to say that whilst I am delighted at Burnley winning last night I am sad to see Steve Coppell resign. He was one of a very small number of managers I have absolute respect for.

How many managers in the game come out after a game (and after a season in this case) and admit that as manager the buck stops with them and they take responsibility for their team's failure to achieve what is required?

We seem to have a naff culture in which morons who refuse to ever quit are held up as a great example and all that crap, when really all it means is that they don't stand up and accept responsibility. I seem to be in a small minority of people who applauds a manager for resigning if they feel they have taken a club as far as they can or the time is right to leave. How many times have managers like Rafa Benitez or Arsene Wenger ever said after a match that it was their fault? Every time they blame the referee, bad luck or whatever other pathetic excuse they can find for their team's failure.

Bah! I hope he gets another management job soon because football is far worse off without Steve Coppell as one of the few truly honest and honourable managers left.

\end{rant}!

Glamdring, I agree so much, that the part of my brain that controls how much I agree with things is throwing a mini party and has invited other parts of my personality to join in the celebration of witnessing so much agreement.

How many managers in the game come out after a game (and after a season in this case) and admit that as manager the buck stops with them and they take responsibility for their team's failure to achieve what is required?

Although in principle this sounds like a great idea, if you're planning to stay on at a club you can't just admit defeat. Imagine how much respect you'd lose with the players if you just said "OK, I've ballsed this season up a bit, lads, but don't worry. Next year will be just fine."

This is not meant as criticism - I'd love to see managers be able to do this, but with so much at stakes both for the clubs and for themselves, they aren't going to risk their jobs by making admissions like that unless they're on the point of leaving anyway.

Is it worrying that I am pretty nervous about tonights game..... I know it's only Wigan, and Steve Bruce is a United legend BUT the fact that we only need four points from our next two games to win the title means my stomach is fluttering like an emo's heart when in love....

Is it worrying that I am pretty nervous about tonights game..... I know it's only Wigan, and Steve Bruce is a United legend BUT the fact that we only need four points from our next two games to win the title means my stomach is fluttering like an emo's heart when in love....

Manxie Ash - I'm sorry but I really can't see Bruce getting his team anywhere close enough to trouble Man Utd. The cynic in me says neither does he especially if he ever wants to be King! Won't want to upset the apple cart!!!!

Wigan should have beaten Utd in the final game of the season last year but somehow blew it handing Utd the title. All the more galling seeing as Wigan had all but ended Chelsea's charge days before. (Heskey scored in the 90th minute. Says it all really Heskey scored!!!)

Mind you Chelsea then wimped out against Bolton in the final game..........

Of course I am just bitter!;) (the tears are filling my eyes as I type)

Bruce must be laughing at the also rans now blowing up in the fast lane and whilst I think Moyes is now nailed on to replace Fergie, Bruce is probably the closest ex Utd player to the dream. Hughes, Keane and Ince are all falling or have fallen at the wayside.

Fergie probably has one or two seasons left to go. It will be interesting to see just who replaces him.

Would not bet against Mourinho at this moment in time - if he can succeed at Inter then he will be very hard ot overlook. Besides, his contract is up at the end of next season, and that seems to be when Fergie will finally call it a day (Unless Liverpool can win the title next season or somehow sneak it this time!)

I could also see Roy Keane's stock rising over the next season or two. He's started off OK at Ipswich...

It's actually common knowledge around the club the David Moyes is almost odds-on to take over from Ferguson in the next few years. Alex Ferguson massively rates him and he's going to be allowed to name his own replacement, unless something unbelievable happens and Man Utd get relegated next season!!!

Personally, I hope it isn't Moyes who takes that job - as that means he'd leave Everton (then we'd be screwed, big time.)

Don't you think it's just amazing' date=' how he adopted two kids who have become footballers and also Bradly Wright Phillips looks like him![/quote']

Iirc, he didn't adopt Bradley.

Coppell going is terrible news.

Burnley are a terrible side and should have been down to 9 before half time.

I said it as soon as I heard his name announced, and nothing during the match made me change my mind: Mike Riley is a terrible, terrible referee and Chelsea and United should stop complaining.

I predict a massive sale of the deadwood (SHunt, Doyle, Bikey, Lita, SHunt, Kebe, Hahnemann, SHunt, Gunnarsson, SHunt, Lita) and the kids given chances to pull us back up the league.

Alan Curbishley in please.

Keane starting well at Ipswich? He's managed, what, two matches?

Burnley are a terrible side and should have been down to 9 before half time.

I'm a Burnley fan who was at the game. You had plenty of possession in the first half but your strike force couldn't shoot its way out of a wet paper bag. In the second, you collapsed quicker than a tower made from a deck of cards.

On second thoughts, a 3-0 scoreline over 180 minutes plus of football is rather comprehensive, would you not agree? Big problems at the Mad Stad if you're not careful. The atmosphere around the ground was abysmal. It must have filtered through to the players.

Been listening on the radio and it's sounded like it was coming, to be fair. The impression I've been getting is that Wigan have been the better side so far, so doubtless United will now win 4-1 or something.

Btw, I have money on United getting the four points they need to win the title before Liverpool play again, but doing it by drawing tonight and beating Arsenal.

And after they'd just gone to the top of the table at the weekend. I'll laugh very hard if Rangers throw it away from here.

You watching it? Just been the definitive argument in favour for goal-line technology. Scramble in the Hibs box, ball appears to cross the line, not given. Even replays can't determine it!

Archived