FMS Community Thread Mk II

Terk

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just noticed the lack of a safety smile in my last post, which made it sound like I was moaning at you. I wasn't. :)

Said league table also shows who comes fourth, or indeed, twelfth out of twelve :(

I wouldn't know Sport Boys (of Peru) existed if it wasn't for FM. I'm especially annoyed that the year cups are introduced in Peru and the league is expanded, they are relegated out of the single playable league :mad:

More bad news at Reading, incidentally. Club captain Graeme Murty won't have his contract renewed. Neither will Marcus Hahnemann, Michael Duberry or Leroy Lita. Every day, it looks more like we're going to get a terrible manager. Ian Dowie has applied, apparently.

Dang. That isn't so good, I quite agree. I really admire Marcus for putting in his time and getting a shot at the Premiership. And I must say that since Rat Pack went to Reading, I definitely have a soft spot in my heart for Leroy Lita.

Dowie. That makes even me cringe.

Okay, I know not all of you like it, but I like to spread it as much as I can ;)

Like all footballers of my generation, and entirely unlike all the money grabbing, overpaid popinjays that play the game to day, I do my bit for charity. Only last week I gave a tramp a tenner to buy some beer. And when he got back I even let him have one.

Man Utd v Arsenal

Much to the disappointment of Liverpool fans everywhere I can't see anything but a Man Utd win here, meaning they'll retain the title. But Liverpool fans shouldn't blame their team. They should blame Arsenal. They just haven't got the guts to win this sort of game. They lack, what I would call, British players.

Verdict 2-0

Bolton v Hull

What a corker this match is going to be. Hull have everything to fight for whereas Bolton just like to fight. I think I'm literally going to explode with excitement.

Verdict 0-0

Everton v West Ham

A lot of people expect me to dislike Everton due to the almost six games I played for Liverpool. But Everton have two things going for them; they're northern and their manager is English. West Ham have neither of those things so I can't see anything other than win for the Toffees here.

Verdict 1-0

Middlesbrough v Aston Villa

After losing to Newcastle Middlesbrough are as good as down. But the chairman has stated that Gareth Southgate will keep his job. Why? He's clearly rubbish. He got you relegated for God's sake. Sack him. Sack him now.

Verdict 0-2

Newcastle v Fulham

I'd never want a manager to be sacked but when Joe Kinnear could no longer manage Newcastle it was good news for everyone. I just don't think Kinnear had enough heart for the job. Tactics and experience are all well and good but everyone knows that what a club needs is a good local boy to manage them. That's why Kenny Dalglish was so good at Liverpool. I back to Shearer to get the win here because I have no idea where Roy Hodgson is from.

Verdict 2-1

Stoke v Wigan

Both of these teams are playing for pride but unlike foreigners us Brits rate pride higher than actually winning stuff so this game should be a cracker. Rory Delap's throw could be the difference here if I'd had something that long and hard when I was playing I'd've put it to good effect too.

Verdict 1-0

Tottenham v Man City

Spurs are still pushing for Europe and Man City might be as well. I can't really remember. To be honest if it's not a title decider or a relegation dogfight at this stage of the season who cares? Well Robbie Keane probably does, like all good Brits he's a caring person. Not like foreigners. If foreigners were caring how do you explain Hitler?

Verdict 1-0

West Brom v Liverpool

Liverpool will fight to the very end, as long as there's mathematical hope they'll want to win the title. West Brom on the other hand are down and out. Not mathematically of course but that's not the sort of thing footballers think about.

Verdict 0-3

Chelsea v Blackburn

Chelsea would be wise to rest players for the FA cup here because lets face it, whoever you put out against one of Big Sam's team you can guarantee 50% will get injured. Not John Terry though, he doesn't need rest, he's like an insomniac on speed but in a good way.

Verdict 2-0

Portsmouth v Sunderland

Sunderland will be hoping that results will go there way over the weekend and they'll be safe by the time they play this match, if that's the case then no one will care about the result at all so I might as well predict something crazy.

Verdict 1-1

OK, gotta admit, I don't know if this is a joke or not - but DID you play for Liverpool?!! :O

Also, David Moyes is Scottish, not English!

Also, is the whole thing like a joke or...?

I'm lost! Because I actually agree with most of what you have said!!! In fact, I agree with every prediction you've made...

What many of the MPs have done is quite simply, and bluntly, fraud.

While I don't necessarily agree completely with this, there was one MP who claimed on her mother's constituency bungalow as the PPR, only to be living in a mansion in London with her family. That isn't just using some poor rules, that is breaking those rules too - that's the one definite case of fraud I've seen.

I understood that that was a mistake and that he began to pay that off as soon as he realised.

His mortgage was paid off when he submitted evidence of an £800 payment to a building society on a bank statement and claimed it was for his mortgage. That is deliberately making false representations for financial gain, which is fraud plain and simple.

At least American politicians try to cover up their corruption by funneling money through supporters and spouses. Clumsy :D

So how mad are people over all this? I've read about the scandal in the Wall Street Journal but I don't know that it gauges peoples' feeling all that well.

I think most people are pretty furious about it, it's probably worsened by the fact that it comes in the middle of the whole 'financial downturn', so it's seen that whilst most people struggle to pay their bills, etc, MPs live well off ridiculous expenses.

I was watching Question Time the other night (for the Americans on the board, a programme where an audience of the general public puts questions to a panel, usually comprising some politicians and heads of various groups depending on the subject matter) and the questioning from the audience was just relentless, they kept going after the politicians about their expenses and it was getting very heated. I think it pretty well summed up how most people feel about it.

Similar, I suppose, to the AIG executive bonuses over here. Even though the politicians here knew about the bonuses which were part of the bailout passed when Bush was President. Nothing seems to stick to our politicos over here. Do you think it will be the same for this scandal?

It's already claimed two Labour MPs. Shahid Malik has stepped down as Justice Minister whilst David Chaytor - who had been claiming for a mortgage which had been paid off in 2004 - has been suspended by the Parliamentary Labour Party today. I don't think they'll be the last to suffer the consequences either.

Frankly, that sort of news impresses me. Over here, it seems that whenever a politician of either stripe humiliates himself or herself and the public process, nothing happens. We just get angrier and angrier.

Archived