FMS Community Thread Mk II

Terk

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, we've had at least our fair share of late winners and comebacks over the season - think back to Middlesborough last August, and Fulham more recently, and you have to admire their character (although part of it is the aura that surrounds a Ferguson Man Utd team). Liverpool are getting it as well, which is a great sign, but it seems inevitable that when United go a goal down to a weaker team that they will come back and win, and it seems to affect the opposition as well. They end up sitting back, pumping aimless clearances and just giving possession away. Wigan weren't so bad until the equaliser went in, they looked pretty good going forward, and I can't believe that Rodallega only had one in thirteen before tonight...

Well, one way to look at it is that hopefully United will be in near celebration mode against us and thus will happily stroll to the point that they need.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling they will want to kick us while we're down just to make themselves feel better and so that Fergie can be patronisingly nice to Wenger again. I sense a hammering coming up. /sarcasm/ Oh joy /sarcasm/. :(

You should support Villa.

Win a game by conceding and then scoring in the last minute.

throw points after points of last minute goals,

be winning 2-0 with 5 minutes to play and a chance to go 8 points clear of 4th and **** it up to Stoke City, one of the worst away records in the league.

since then we can only beat orange and black derby.

We decide to throw away the uefa cup and also get knocked out of the fa cup in the same week.

we continue our **** form against United by conceding a last minute goal.

We somehow produce a devasting 0-2 performance at the emirates.

We have John Carew.

that's a real team :)

I think the thing abut Berbatov is, Fergie is hoping he is going to be Ruud Van Nistlerooy. But for that to happen he needs to stop playing him so freaking deep!

The tactics didn't work last night, and yet again we had to rely on Tevez to bail us out. We are now saying a deal is on the table and we are wating for Joorbachin to have his say over it. If we d not sign Tevez on a permenant deal I will be so annoyed, he is an incredibly important player for us. His work rate is second to none and you can see the difference he makes when he plays, you only have to look at the games against Spurs, City and Last nights game to see that.

On to Arsenal, I am so happy that we only need a point against them. I would have been more nervous if we had to beat them. They should have Arshavin back and as a player he scares the sh*t out of me. It's gonna be tough and my stomach is going to be going through more turns than Ferrari's season :D

John Carew is awesome and 10 times the targetman that Heskey will ever be! :thup:

Definatly! He's an absolute legend at Villa Park, always gets the biggest cheer, always the one who's song is sung the loudest and he loves it by clapping the fans while he's playing or when he scored against Hull, ran to the holte "THIS IS FOR YOU! I LOVE YOU" :cool:

Also 10 goals in 15 League games and 14 in all competition which is pretty decent considering he was injured for 4 months.

No surprises at last night's result and the P League is all over now bar the shouting.

Tevez has certainly upped the ante with his last two performances and perhaps the thought of him going to Liverpool or (you can hope) Chelsea something that Fergie has realised cannot be allowed.

Anyway Leeds to win tonight and Mk Dons tomorrow. Decent play off final that one.

Torn on who should come out winners in the end. Roberto or Ken! Nope can't decide!:D

Burnley, Shrewsbury and Torquay are my other tips for promotion.

Light firework with blue touch paper and stand well back!;)

I think Berbatov was pretty bloody good in the first half last night, he comes deep a lot and plays other through and he plays a completely ddifferent role than Tevez, United should have scored those first two goals where Rooney and Carrick missed and Berbatov set up both chances from memory.

He played in Ronaldo who hit Carrick, and he got set up Rooney with a perfect cross.

My first team looked like they were doing to get relegated out of the league at Christmas, but got a new manager, a few inspired loan signings, and we finished a respectable seventeenth...

The second team now seem bound to finish second... :(

Still, it's an improvement

You support a team winning most trophies avalible and then complain that your other team will only finish second. My first team stayed down twice in one season and my second side got relegated even though their league was expanded.

I was under the impression that the reason you keep a league table was to see who comes out on top. :)

For the record, I started to follow the game closely in the mid 90s, before United went on the run of much of their current success. I began to follow Rangers at the same time.

However, it's fair to say that FM has brought me closer to several teams, among them Reading, Blackpool and Rushden. I like the thought of teams I follow closely winning. That's part of being a fan.

Is THAT what you meant when you said that, 10-3? Must be one of those quaint 'Americanisms'... :p

Sad to hear of him leaving Reading; as he's a top manager and brought a lot of success to a team I have a huge soft spot for.

I expect he will take some time out of the game before finding himself another job. I expect that there will be some EPL clubs that will certainly be interested should he decalre himself 'available for hire'.

Is THAT what you meant when you said that, 10-3? Must be one of those quaint 'Americanisms'... :p

Sad to hear of him leaving Reading; as he's a top manager and brought a lot of success to a team I have a huge soft spot for.

I expect he will take some time out of the game before finding himself another job. I expect that there will be some EPL clubs that will certainly be interested should he decalre himself 'available for hire'.

Actually, it is. "Taking the pledge" is to swear off, but it's usually used in connection with alcohol.

I think it's unfortunate too. Yet, I'm sure he'll be back. I have always admired his stoic approach to management, especially since I know I could never be that way myself.

Just heard about Laursen, sad to see such a good player forced to quit. He always struck me as the model professional and a real gent off the pitch as well, and speaking as an Arsenal fan I very much doubt we'd be so far ahead in fourth had he been around all year. A real shame he's retired.

Out of curiosity, what do people think of the expenses row that has gripped UK politics?

I've met Shahid Malik before when visiting the Houses of Parliament a year or three back, and I actually believed that he was an MP for the sake of his constituency (and my home town) in Dewsbury (he's my MP...joy). After the expenses row has forced him to step down as justice minister , I quite frankly think that the man is an idiot - after all, only an idiot would try and defend taking £67k of taxpayers money - the most of any MP - over 3 years for things such as a TV and a designer leather recliner.

In general, I am absolutely disgusted by the way MP's can say that all the things they've spent taxpayers money on (such as moat clearing, swimming pool cleaning and the installation of a helipad) and say it is all above board. The rules, quite frankly, need changing to stop this kind of thing happening in the future (though then again, the UKIP say that's it even worse in the EU :D)

Oh, and fail of the week? Elliot Morley- claiming for a non-existant mortgage...priceless! :D

I'd be careful not to believe everything you hear or read - some of these claims are completely unfounded (i.e. the MP submits a receipt but only claims for some of the things on it, but the press leap on it and talk about all the items)

However, there are easily enough so far to suggest that there's a real problem. Oh, and I find it quite funny that they come out, say sorry, offer to pay the money back, and carry on as if nothing happened. I'd be surprised if your Mr Malik will be an MP this time next year...

The root of the problem is that the salaries are too low - £64,000 is not enough to run two houses (if you aren't in a London based constituency) and commute between them. IMO the best option would surely be to build or buy an apartment block within easy reach of Westminster and allow the MPs to stay there. Fit it with all the mod cons, allowing them to live comfortably, and all that, but then cance the second homes allowance...

However, there are easily enough so far to suggest that there's a real problem. Oh, and I find it quite funny that they come out, say sorry, offer to pay the money back, and carry on as if nothing happened. I'd be surprised if your Mr Malik will be an MP this time next year...

I totally agree that it's hilarious that they offer to pay the money back and carry on like nothing ever happened.

I'd be surprised too, quite frankly, if Shahid Malik is an MP this time next year - it seems the power went to his head. Mr. Malik needs to take responsibility for his actions, stop acting like a pompous git and stop passing the buck on to other people. Naturally, he failed to do all of these in a recent TV interview with the BBC - in which he always tried to avoid the question being asked and attempted to interrupt the interviewer if he heard something he didn't like.

Hall of Fame Announcement

After discussion amongst the moderators, there has been a change in the process of nomination for the FMS Hall of Fame. Over the past two years users have made their nominations for the Hall of Fame in the second nomination round, then voted yes/no on anyone who won a place on the nomination shortlist for the final voting round.

For this year, we have formed the Hall of Fame Panel, who will decide on a maximum of three nominees for each of the Writer's and Stories Halls of Fame. Those nominees will then be subject to a yes/no vote by forum users during the final voting round as in previous years - and the 66% yes vote required to win election to the Hall of Fame still stands.

We feel that this will better ensure that a view of the history of FMS is taken into account when nominating users and stories for the Hall of Fame, whilst still making sure that the forum as a whole has the final say on who gets elected.

The Panel is made up of the three forum moderators (Faramir, tenthreeleader and myself) and two senior forum members. For the 2009 Awards, both BobBev and flipsix3 have been asked to sit on the panel and both have accepted. The panel will sit in late August and their chosen nominees will be announced during the second nomination round for the awards in early September.

To win nomination by the panel, any story or writer needs a yes vote from four of the five members (ensuring that should one of the panel members be up for nomination, they can abstain whilst still getting the required vote), and as between them the panel have won four Writer of the Year awards and two Story of the Year awards between 2003 and 2008, I think it's fair to say that they represent a talented cross-section of the history of the forum (and then there's me tagging along as well :D )

The MPs expenses scandal is exactly that, a scandal.

They all say they were acting within the rules, but when they set the rules, and they exempt those rules from any scrutiny, and then further exempt those rules from any other expenses law/practice, its no wonder they were in the rules.

What many of the MPs have done is quite simply, and bluntly, fraud.

Now I know forum etiquette dictates in debating that people should not lay claim to authority, but I'm going to lay claim to it anyway. I'm an accountant, I know my tax rules, I know my tax laws, exemptions etc. I also know all about fraud, seeing as I have to take a money laundering and fraud test every year, at the government's behest.

Wilfully deceiving for financial gain is fraud. Claire Short, the Labour minister who claimed for a mortgage that didn't exist. They're both guilty of that.

All these MPs are claiming ignorance and offering to pay back. A woman in a company I audited had committed fraud to the tune of £20,000, she paid back £15,000 and was put away for 12 months.

As for ignorance, there is a principle in law, its called "Ignorantia juris non excusat" - Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

These MPs knew they were claiming for things that weren't allowed, didn't exist, and did it anyway.

Let's not even get onto the fact that all these MPs expenses are tax exempt, whereas if any other person received the benefits the MPs received from their employers, they'd have to pay 40% tax on the market value of the 'benefit in kind'.

Thus for your MP viperk1, company renting you a property for £100 a week? Market value £300 a week? That's a annual market value rental of £15,600, that'll be £6,240 in tax please, thank you very much.

As for flipping their second homes/main homes for allowances purposes while having different homes designated as their PPR (Principal Private Residence), that again is so close to fraud it should be investigated. They're dodging tax as capital gains tax is 40% for them (unless the gain is under £9,200 in which case its zero).

Basically, if it were company directors/employees or you or me getting these expenses or doing what this lot has done we'd have a huge tax bill, be prosecuted for fraud, and fined by HMRC.

The root of the problem is that the salaries are too low - £64,000 is not enough to run two houses (if you aren't in a London based constituency) and commute between them. IMO the best option would surely be to build or buy an apartment block within easy reach of Westminster and allow the MPs to stay there. Fit it with all the mod cons, allowing them to live comfortably, and all that, but then cance the second homes allowance...

I disagree. Would you want to live in an apartment block full of your work colleagues?

What about those that don't like apartment blocks? Or have big families? The cost of an apartment block near Westminster would be enormous.

Anyway, its not just London based constituencies that shouldn't be able to claim, but those easily commutable to Westminster like Guildford, and other towns close to London's west end.

Archived