Football Manager Wiki

I've finished Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester United(which took A LOT of work) and Wigan.

Seeing as the new Wiki has been made by all of us, should we change the introduction a bit?

At the moment it says

I think the second sentence needs changing a little, to give us all a little credit instead of just peter. Who fully deserves the credit, fwiw, for creating the first one.

Also about the home page. Do we want to change it to make it look not like Wikipedia but have it laid out with not just a list of articles?

For example have coloured boxes with the text in them, a header at the top with Welcome to FMWiki or something? And then have links to different sections up there or whatever?

If you have a look at Wikipedia's home page, you will see a bit about what I mean.

Just throwing out some ideas for if not now for trying to improve the layout when we feel we need to. :thup:

EDIT: Just saw snootyjim's post. Panels was the word I wanted instead of boxes. :D

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone has a look at my user page on the wiki, you will see a banner. That was something I was thinking of to start of with on the home page. Obviously it can be changed colour wise, text wise and so on and I just threw in a few links. What do people think of something like that?

Oh yeah I meant to say about this on the last wiki and I forgot. I never knew Sunderland was Sunderland Athletic. Is that right?

If anyone has a look at my user page on the wiki, you will see a banner. That was something I was thinking of to start of with on the home page. Obviously it can be changed colour wise, text wise and so on and I just threw in a few links. What do people think of something like that?

Oh yeah I meant to say about this on the last wiki and I forgot. I never knew Sunderland was Sunderland Athletic. Is that right?

Their full name is Sunderland Athletic Football Club. Do you think I should change it to just Sunderland? If you search for Sunderland it comes up anyway, as a redirected page. Still, if you think it would be better as just Sunderland then it's no problem.

Yeah I chucked in the redirect for that very reason... I think we should stick with official names for the club pages though, it looks a bit more professional and is more consistent if you know what I mean.

As for the home page, I think something like this or this could be good. As they're examples of gamewikis I thought they might be a good place to start.

Their full name is Sunderland Athletic Football Club. Do you think I should change it to just Sunderland? If you search for Sunderland it comes up anyway, as a redirected page. Still, if you think it would be better as just Sunderland then it's no problem.

Another Wiki :D - Wikipedia has this:

Sunderland Association Football Club are a professional association football club based in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, England, that compete in the Premier League.

;)

I've finished Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester United(which took A LOT of work) and Wigan.

Seeing as the new Wiki has been made by all of us, should we change the introduction a bit?

At the moment it says

I think the second sentence needs changing a little, to give us all a little credit instead of just peter. Who fully deserves the credit, fwiw, for creating the first one.

Really good work there arsenal_2111. Just a tiny point, the second last sentence on the disclaimers read "...I can not guarentee that the below is the exact ..." It should say 'above'. Oh and you spelt guarantee wrong ;)

I agree, but I think to be honest the whole front page / introduction could probably do with gutting.

Eventually it would be nice to see a structured page with various panels like you would for a typical gamewiki, and all of that type of information from above could be moved into its own 'About Wiki' page or similar.

Hence, maybe it's better to leave it for now, and wait until there's something more substantial in the way of pages whose links can then be used to populate the main page?

Yes I agree with this also.

Anyway, I am off to bed.

Glad you liked the banner snooty_jim. :D

What you think of the panel that I have now on my page? It is similar to Wikipedia but obviously could be changed.

Anyway, great work everyone. :thup:

Lost of club articles, Arsenal which is great. :D

Anyway, I am off to bed.

Glad you liked the banner snooty_jim.

What you think of the panel that I have now on my page? It is similar to Wikipedia but obviously could be changed.

Anyway, great work everyone.

Lost of club articles, Arsenal which is great. :D

Aw boo! No respect for the MLS article! :mad:;)

Good night jod. :D

Just looked at the MLS article and it's excellent, well done Rancer :thup:

I'm off to bed myself now. Jod, i've just added an article about League Standard, can you check it over tomorrow and see if you agree with what i've written, i think you also have a bit of knowledge about this area if memory serves me correct.

Well done guys, the Wiki is coming along nicely :)

Another Wiki - Wikipedia has this:

Oh right, sorry. I had always thought that it stood for Sunderland Athletic! Would you be able to change the page name for me please, it doesn't seem to be letting me:(

Really good work there arsenal_2111. Just a tiny point, the second last sentence on the disclaimers read "...I can not guarentee that the below is the exact ..." It should say 'above'. Oh and you spelt guarantee wrong ;)

Thanks for pointing that out, with most of them I changed that but as I just copied it from the old site is said below. What page did I forget to change it on?

There's already a football manager wikipedia site up, although it doesn't go talk about clubs like your one does, or as much detail.

http://footballmanager.wikia.com/wiki/Football_Manager_2009

You might already know this, I was just pointing it out.

EDIT: Just noticed that you already knew this. My bad :D

I'm pretty sure that was linked to near the start of the thread, and we decided that it was a bit out of date. Tbh I think a official site rather than a signup thing is better. Thanks anyway:)

Thanks to whoever changed Sunderland's:thup:

Thanks for pointing that out, with most of them I changed that but as I just copied it from the old site is said below. What page did I forget to change it on?

Never mind, realised that there was two places that it was meant to be changed, and I'd only done one. But they are all changed now, as it the spelling.

have been following this great project for the last few days and would love to get involved if that's ok.

Of course you can get involved, anyone can as long as they know a lot about the subject they are writing about and the articles are of a high quality.

If you do write one, let us know what it is so we can make sure that no-one else does it/is doing it.

Good luck:thup:

-------------------------

For the Premier League, shouldn't the page be called 'English Premier League Clubs' not 'Premiership Clubs', as EPL is from FM, and Premiership is the old term. As far as I know I'm not allowed to change title, so I would appriciate it if someone else could do that.

Are you an admin on it? If so, would you be able to change the name of the Premier League page please? Either to Premier League, English Premier League, English Premier Division. Just something more FM-like.

I'm an admin, but I don't seem to have the privileges to edit the title either. What you could do is make a new page with the 'Premier League Clubs' title, copy & paste everything from the old page into it, & replace the old Premiership page with the new Premier League one.

I'm an admin, but I don't seem to have the privileges to edit the title either. What you could do is make a new page with the 'Premier League Clubs' title, copy & paste everything from the old page into it, & replace the old Premiership page with the new Premier League one.

Alright, I've done that. It's all linked up, but the page 'Premiership Clubs' is still there. Do you know how to redirect it to the new page, or to delete it altogether?

I've sent out some PM's asking for permission to use club threads, to all writers of Premier League threads. Hopefully the Prem should be done by the end of the day.

Alright, I've done that. It's all linked up, but the page 'Premiership Clubs' is still there. Do you know how to redirect it to the new page, or to delete it altogether?

I've sent out some PM's asking for permission to use club threads, to all writers of Premier League threads. Hopefully the Prem should be done by the end of the day.

Just delete the old page & replace it with the new one. That's the best we can do I think.

Good to hear we might have the Premiership page complete soon :)

I will link it for you if you have posted it.

You go to the page you want to link it from and do a thing like this:

[[Lyon]]

I don't think that's what he's talking about though. He said that he wants people to be redirected to the Olympique Lyonnais page when they type 'Lyon' into the search box.

BTW, do you prefer the layout of the Premiership teams, i just changed it because it looked messy.
Much better :thup:

Archived