"I am pleased with your Performance"

Genuine question - Is telling the players at HT "I am pleased with your performance" bugged? 

Most of the time I stopped using it as noticed a massive drop in player performance second half or the opposition turned into world beaters.

However, I made the dreadful mistake in my last game of using it again while being 4-0 up at HT (17 shots to there 1). My player must have started on the booze immediately as second half we played like a pub team and the opposition are world beaters.

Finished 4-4. Never saying it again.

I've been of the same opinion, whether or not its a bug, or just brings on crazy amounts of complacency, who knows. The team talks and shout reactions often don't make sense.

not used it in years.

I say it assertively these days if I am three or more goals up against decent opposition and don't have the same issues I remember from the past where it just made them fall asleep but yeah it's still definitely a bit of an issue. I've found that if I'm playing a poor side I can still tell them to guard against complacency with a three goal lead these days though, whereas before it seemed to be capped at two.

Is funny but it’s my go to comment at half time if I’m winning. I very rarely see a drop in performance. Occasionally it happens but then I just shout my way through the 2nd half.

Guess it all depends on how I think we’re playing and what’s been happening throughout the season. I always say everything calmly. Unless we’re losing 3-0 at half time. Then it’s boots in the face time.

9 hours ago, FrazT said:

Praising the team at half time has always been capable of bringing on huge complacency, regardless of how justified the praise is.  IMO, it is best to avoid during half time and use "don't get complacent"

Praising the team at HT is something I would only do if morale is low or if we are massive underdogs

18 hours ago, richard_dunk said:

Genuine question - Is telling the players at HT "I am pleased with your performance" bugged? 

Most of the time I stopped using it as noticed a massive drop in player performance second half or the opposition turned into world beaters.

However, I made the dreadful mistake in my last game of using it again while being 4-0 up at HT (17 shots to there 1). My player must have started on the booze immediately as second half we played like a pub team and the opposition are world beaters.

Finished 4-4. Never saying it again.

The second you concede that 1st goal, if there were any signs of complacency, that'd be gone then. Conceding a goal is always a wake-up call. The rest of the goals you conceded wouldn't have been because of a single team talk.

If you are winning comfortably at HT and praise the players ( probably deservedly) then IMO one of two things normally happen.  They turn off, go through the motions and there is no further scoring - or they turn off, go through the motions and lose an early goal and you manage to shout at them to enable them to stay in front.  Hence why I never use it.

Here are my rules

If you have pressured team too much during build up(press, pep talk) and team is winning at half time by at least 2 goals - praising them makes them more confident and they enjoy game in second half and end up scoring more

If you have conceded 0 "shots on target" before half time - dont praise them instead use dont become complacent. It helps their concentration levels

If morale is low - praise them

if morale is high - use your stick

I always avoid praising my players at HT, if you do it at 2-0 up you're guaranteed to bottle it, been happening since team talks were introduced, it's quite a broken feature. 5-0 at HT? Praise and no more highlights, it's dumb. 

I wish there was an option to say "Be ruthless out there." when smashing a team at HT.  

35 minutes ago, jbutton said:

I always avoid praising my players at HT, if you do it at 2-0 up you're guaranteed to bottle it, been happening since team talks were introduced, it's quite a broken feature. 5-0 at HT? Praise and no more highlights, it's dumb. 

This is wrongly attributed to team talks, tbh.

I've praised teams plenty of times at half time without giving up leads. At 2-0, it's still possible for the other team to get back into the game, so that's what they'll try and do, usually. That increase in aggressiveness is almost always the culprit. As long as that's taken into account and the tactic can handle the other team throwing more people forward, you shouldn't have many issues.

5-0 at HT is a situation where it'll be damage limitation for the other team, so they'll crawl into their shell and park a bus or three. Continue with the same aggressive tactic that got you a 5-0 lead and it'll naturally lead to fewer or no highlights.

I honestly feel like I’m playing a different game to most on this forum.

I’ve been using this instruction pretty much exclusively since half time team talks were introduced.

Always had success with it. Always get a sea of green happy faces looking back at me. Incredibly rare I go on to lose the game. 1-0, 2-0, 3-0. It doesn’t matter. Praising the team for winning at half time, I’ve generally found just gives them encouragement to continue doing what they’re doing.

Also starting the game with a pre match team talk, if it’s available, of “the press have been singing your praises” nearly always produces a good performance I’ve found.

Obviously just me though.

Again.

I've been using it now and then in the right circumstances (at least what I think is right) and thats usually when we are up against an opponent we aren't expect to win against. 

The only talk option I never use any more is the one pre-match where we can tell them to get revenge against a team we lost to before. It ALWAYS give good green reactions but I have never ever won a game where I used it :lol:

1 minute ago, likesiamesefish said:

Yeah I would say this is one of the things people are in most agreement on. It's not as bad as it used to be, like I said I use it myself sometimes, but it used to be a guaranteed balls up from your team. Guaranteed.

This is interesting. I must have selective memory. (Addled memory, no doubt) Ha.

Now you mention it a few years ago I do vaguely remember it being the kiss of death. 

I’ve definitely been using it for the last two years though with great success. Odd.

Just now, Tyburn said:

This is interesting. I must have selective memory. (Addled memory, no doubt) Ha.

Now you mention it a few years ago I do vaguely remember it being the kiss of death. 

I’ve definitely been using it for the last two years though with great success. Odd.

Yeah it's probably just a hangover from previous versions when people say it's still broken.

On 24/02/2020 at 07:29, HUNT3R said:

5-0 at HT is a situation where it'll be damage limitation for the other team, so they'll crawl into their shell and park a bus or three.

Good point. Confirmation bias often makes one think that your intervention is what is making the difference, especially when it seems to have a negative effect. I think you're right in that you have to look past of being something being broken or bugged.

Edited by scass
spelling

You guys ever notice how your assman never detracts from one of perhaps three different talks pre-game, half-time and full-time? My assman never suggests to tell the players that we expect nothing but a win. It's always either do it for the fans, prove a point etc. At half-time it's mostly praise or not good enough, and at full time it's either did well or the performance was disappointing. There are so many options that the assman never ever suggests, making me wonder how this is even coded in the first place. My assman has 20 motivation. I feel like this is a black/white area in the game where there are definite right and wrong options to tell the players and I don't like it. In this area I just feel the game is lacking depth and I don't dare to go with my own team talks in fear of mucking things up.

2 hours ago, Norfair said:

You guys ever notice how your assman never detracts from one of perhaps three different talks pre-game, half-time and full-time? My assman never suggests to tell the players that we expect nothing but a win. It's always either do it for the fans, prove a point etc. At half-time it's mostly praise or not good enough, and at full time it's either did well or the performance was disappointing. There are so many options that the assman never ever suggests, making me wonder how this is even coded in the first place. My assman has 20 motivation. I feel like this is a black/white area in the game where there are definite right and wrong options to tell the players and I don't like it. In this area I just feel the game is lacking depth and I don't dare to go with my own team talks in fear of mucking things up.

I understand your fears. In past versions this definitely seemed to be the case. But each year I try a slightly more adventurous approach when it comes to talking to the players. Overall it’s a rewarding experience. Even if I get it wrong, which in fairness is rarely because, like your assistant manager, I have a routine that works for me.

42 minutes ago, yezzko said:

Slightly offtopic:

Have you ever seen ANY reaction to "do it for the fans" pre-match talk? I can't remember any single reaction, be it red or green.

Yep. Lots of greens. It’s my go to chat for a rival game. A derby.

49 minutes ago, Tyburn said:

Yep. Lots of greens. It’s my go to chat for a rival game. A derby.

Yeah it's basically just specifically for rival games when I use it, particularly if I am the underdog. I sometimes use it on the final day or last home game of the season but without really expecting the same impact.

14 hours ago, likesiamesefish said:

Yeah it's basically just specifically for rival games when I use it, particularly if I am the underdog. I sometimes use it on the final day or last home game of the season but without really expecting the same impact.

You're just basically asking the players to do a professional job (in front of the fans). I often get reactions, but not necessarily "green" ones.

A green reaction just shows an increase in morale. It doesn't show any other increase. If I use a "for the fans" talk, it's not because I want to increase morale at all. I want them to focus on doing a professional job, so no complacency and maybe even up the motivation a bit.