[FM20] Manchester United: Falling Giant...

stevemc

Here's some of the youth players I've been stock piling :D 

These came though my youth intakes:

49. Charlie Burton (labelled the next Paul Gascoigne):

V8QNjD0.jpg

45. Charlie Proctor (on loan at Oldham):

WzLvvTY.jpg

Gavin Bennett

cgTPcIa.jpg

These are players I've signed:

31. Yannick Becic: £4m

uUmiMXC.jpg

Señén Martín Domínguez: £900K (labelled the next Andoni Zubizarreta)

jbiJ4R5.jpg

40. Victor Maurin: £5m (labelled the next Michel Platini)

bo9zWet.jpg

25. Jude Bellingham: £14.75m

bFXlywx.jpg

William Bøving Wick: £1.4m (labelled the next Flemming Povlsen)

p1oAcUj.jpg

Lorenzo Lucca: Free  (labelled the next Roberto Bettega)

enYsLlB.jpg

Isaac Lihadji: Free

zRutV6D.jpg

Yassine Hamzaoui: £625K (transfer agreed)

eeqVWVs.jpg

Alvaro Marín: £1.6m (transfer agreed)

ntga0v4.jpg

Laurent Borges: £4.2m

J0OdHmp.jpg

Giuliany Ben-David dos Santos: £3.9m

xSGevAD.jpg

Isaías Andrada: £2m

Vqx19OU.jpg

Benjamin Hebert: £5.5m (Everyone in Europe wanted him, but I've gambled on his Mercenary personality)

I0BFfGr.jpg

Nesta Zahui: Free

We2YHDF.jpg

Fabio Calvet: £5m

soALrvZ.jpg

Mateo Tanlongo: £2.2m

h4hcVTo.jpg

Thiago Hurtado: £2m

IWOquVG.jpg

Solomon Bonnah: £4.2m

dqEN4NM.jpg

Souareba Dabo: £1.4m

ThqZ8LM.jpg

Add that to an already talented list of Ethan Laird, James Garner, Hannibal Mejbri, Axel Tuanzebe, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Rúben Dias, Brandon Williams, Florentino Luís, Yari Verschaeren, Jadon Sancho, Mason Greenwood and Marcus Rashford, that's an impressive collection of youth players.

Edited by stevemc

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Powello said:

damn I haven't posted images on here for so long I cant remember how to do it and the way in the faq is not the right way, can someone remind me please haha

Use this: https://imgur.com/upload

Then hover over the pic, click the down-arrow and select "Get Share Links" and selected "BBCode (Forums)" then paste it here :thup:

So The first season was good, won the league but it was tight if I rmeember right, also won the carabao cup and Europa League. I have now just finished the second season and things got way better. The league was over with 6 games to go.

qGn0IAd.jpg

I am annoyeed though as I was hoping to get over plus 100 GD and failed by 2 :( But set new records for wins, goals scored and points in a season so happy with that.

In the cups, we failed to retain the carabao cup but won everything else:

YCILvlX.jpg

Bsetx1F.jpg

A9E8fHY.jpg

4X3oe5D.jpg

K3rk4am.jpg

There were goals form all over th epitch so that is pleasing, although I am getting annoyed with all the wide men, full backs included, driibling and shooting too much so going to try and fix that over the next season I htink, as long as it doesn't impact results.

I'm determined to go unbeaten next season, almost did it this season, only losing 2 games in all competitions and drawing just 4, the rest we won, most pretty easily.

This is my current squad at the end of season 2

tWkMK7x.jpg
vvwCiTo.jpg

At the moment I have Jude Bellingham coming in, in the summer to add to and already amazing midfield. Not quite sure how I am going to keep every one happy, but I have so far so will see how it goes

17 hours ago, Powello said:

So The first season was good, won the league but it was tight if I rmeember right, also won the carabao cup and Europa League. I have now just finished the second season and things got way better. The league was over with 6 games to go.

qGn0IAd.jpg

I am annoyeed though as I was hoping to get over plus 100 GD and failed by 2 :( But set new records for wins, goals scored and points in a season so happy with that.

In the cups, we failed to retain the carabao cup but won everything else:

YCILvlX.jpg

Bsetx1F.jpg

A9E8fHY.jpg

4X3oe5D.jpg

K3rk4am.jpg

There were goals form all over th epitch so that is pleasing, although I am getting annoyed with all the wide men, full backs included, driibling and shooting too much so going to try and fix that over the next season I htink, as long as it doesn't impact results.

I'm determined to go unbeaten next season, almost did it this season, only losing 2 games in all competitions and drawing just 4, the rest we won, most pretty easily.

This is my current squad at the end of season 2

tWkMK7x.jpg
vvwCiTo.jpg

At the moment I have Jude Bellingham coming in, in the summer to add to and already amazing midfield. Not quite sure how I am going to keep every one happy, but I have so far so will see how it goes

What role do you play Bruno and Rashford in ?

2 hours ago, BigV said:

How are yous getting your 4231 to work and in a way your CAM to work. Bruno is OP from what im getting from you guys. 

I just have Bruno as CAM, with two IF's either side, cutting in, with full backs overlapping on the outside - plenty of options for a CAM to pick passes out

3 hours ago, DownTheFrank said:

What role do you play Bruno and Rashford in ?

Bruno mostly plays in the cam spot as a SS-A but also sometimes plays in the 2 as a dlp-s, I have also played him on the AMR spot as a W-S

Rashford pretty much always plays in the AML spot as a W-S but has played as an AF-A

1 hour ago, stevemc said:

I just have Bruno as CAM, with two IF's either side, cutting in, with full backs overlapping on the outside - plenty of options for a CAM to pick passes out

Guessing you get a fair few crosses then? Fullbacks on attack/support? or do you use overlap?

So season 5 is done.

The league went right down to the wire. Liverpool were top but had to face man city, and as you can see man city beat them, which won me the title and now 3 back to back titles.

leagues5.thumb.png.1a902a1cb3eb1061bd8057fd60e6b279.png

It was an incredible title win as after I lost to city in February we were 8 points behind in 4th, but we put a brilliant run together lead by Bruno Fernandes who just seems to get better and better. On top of his 22 assists, he also got 15 goals in the league so rightfully cleaned up with the awards, and I'm expecting him to win world player of the year again as well.

Henderson also had a great 1st season as number 1, beating De Gea's clean sheet record. Rashford and Greenwood both scored plenty of goals, Greenwood was my top overall goal scorer, but Rashford got more in the league.

We also won our 2nd Carabao cup of the save, thrashing Leicester 5-0.  

1340988038_carabaos5.thumb.png.9b3c8ade4dc2ae6fd10c39317464169b.png

We did however lose in the fa cup final to man city 2-1, and continue to struggle in Europe losing to Inter in the 1st knockout round.

Pavard was my signing of the season and had an excellent season, an absolute bargain at 24 mil. My youngsters that have previously mentioned in Winterbottom and Haliva both had good seasons, Mejbri also stepping up his involvement and scored some cracking goals.

So onwards to season 6, to try and finally conquer Europe, it's going to be a quiet transfer window.

Last season I brought 3 in then the new board brought in Saul and Sule so I don't feel the need to splash the cash, there is a regen striker from Valencia who looks very good and he may be my only signing.

On the outs, Telles and Tuaznebe are going to go, both want more 1st team football which I can't give them. If I buy the striker from Valencia then I will sell Dembele, he's had a good 4 seasons with me but just struggled abit last season for goals and niggling injuries.

On 30/03/2020 at 17:12, BigV said:

Guessing you get a fair few crosses then? Fullbacks on attack/support? or do you use overlap?

FB position but as WB(s).

FB's provide the width/cross/decoy, IF's provide the inside option.

Since windows thought I'd have nothing better to do than reinstall windows, I'm back on season one.

Back to 4-1-2-3 

Halfway stage 

Anyone recommend a bwm defensive midfielder 

Half way.jpg

On 05/12/2019 at 12:23, sean_oc16 said:

January 2021

After the previous update we lost 1-0 against Man City in what was an even game where we had all the CCCs so I wasn't too worried about that and it was our only loss through the end of the year. I did end up switching systems a few games later to try and get more goals out of the team, settled on an asymmetric 4-1-4-1 that was working nicely and led to some dominant performances that had us scoring 4 or 5 in some games instead of struggling for 1 or 2.  Andrea Belotti still isn't scoring as well as last season, but the likes of Rashford and Sancho are doing great and even youngster Vlahovic has impressed in some starts. 

On the transfer front, I'm not looking to do anything right now, just a case of if an opportunity for a good deal for now or the summer becomes available then it may happen. PSG are circling around Pogba again and probably get him upset for the rest of the season, while Madrid are chasing Belotti and Martial and I could be tempted to let one of those go if they actually make a reasonable offer.

On the competition front; in the league we a top with a 6 point gap to Man City and Liverpool, in the FA cup 4th round, just beat Everton 5-0 in leg 1 of league cup SF, and won our CL group.

What role did you use for Belotti? Struggling to get him to score as a lone striker. Wondering if to switch him to a CP?

Edited by harvo

Intrigued how you've got a narrow formation working tbh, heavily favours wide play, are your wb's/fb's bombing forward wider than the narrow formation shows? so in this case close to the touchline? 

To be fair it’s not a fully formed tactic by any stretch of the imagination. I literally chucked it together at 4am this morning.

GKd

FBs CDd CDd FBs DMd

MZa DLPs

AFa AFa AFa

the only instructions I have are to play more direct and the 2 wide AFa’ are set to mark the FB on their side of the pitch.

I decided to give it a go as it allows me to play 3 out of Greenwood, Haaland, Martial and Rashford as strikers and means I can still play Pogba/Garner, Fernandez/Bellingham and McTominay/Florentino Luis all in the same team and then either a 4231 or 41221 to get Sancho/Chiesa into the squad as well

Edited by Zeonflux

Finished 1st season won the league by 3points from Liverpool went out early in both domestic cups and got beat in Europa League semi .Started with the winter update so had Fernandes already in brought in Goretzka and Tonali to beef up the midfield sold matic,mata,lingard and pereira also added david neres and Rugani in January happy with the clear out so far and the young players getting game time been impressed with gomes and chong .

2nd season outs really hard to get rid of these

Bailly 11mil

Sanchez 5mil

Lindelof loan

Romero 10mil

Smalling 19 mil

2nd season ins

Proper free

Aarons 23mil

Sergio Gomez 3mil

Marcus Llorente 17.5mil

Reguillion free

Also added some players to under 18s

My Sheffield Wednesday save is going well, but I'm in the mood for a new save. Going to restore Manchester United to their perch, and hopefully build a legacy.

I signed Chong in January for Wednesday (First season), and managed to get him for under £10,000,000 (with almost all of the fee over three years) and just want to say I think he is an absolute monster. He made 15 appearances for Wednesday between January and the end of the season and scored or assisted in all but one game. Williamson has done exceptionally well second season along with Chong and Garner is a really solid midfielder. I am planning on giving all three a good run in the Manchester United save too!

12 hours ago, harvo said:

What role did you use for Belotti? Struggling to get him to score as a lone striker. Wondering if to switch him to a CP?

Pressing forward. That was a while ago though, been a few patches and ME changes since and I don't use that tactic any more.

Finally settled on a 4-1-4-1 formation and I'm wanting to have a high pressing team with a high work rate and my dilemma is Martial  he doesn't have the aggression or the determination for a pressing team but he's scoring loads of goals 17 games 17 goals 1 assist.

So my question is do I keep or sell and who could be his replacement? 

11 hours ago, sean_oc16 said:

Behold my 2024 youth candidates. This is why I'm always looking to add young players every window because I'm not getting much talent being generated at the club.

Noticed the AI gives more top class youth candidates, if you manage a low team and look at united for loans you'll see alot of strong youth prospects within a year or so, it's stupid how we do everything in our power to get them yet the AI still beats us to it so we have to buy them lol.

9 hours ago, pele10 said:

Finally settled on a 4-1-4-1 formation and I'm wanting to have a high pressing team with a high work rate and my dilemma is Martial  he doesn't have the aggression or the determination for a pressing team but he's scoring loads of goals 17 games 17 goals 1 assist.

Keep, always keep, better as an AF imo, put him in a tutoring group with high det and aggression/work rate, give it time and it'll go up by 2-4 within a couple years, trust me. 

9 hours ago, pele10 said:

I personally sold him, as I had Dembele and greenwood who were better.

But if he’s scoring plenty of goals then keep him, no need to change it.

Just about to embark on a save with United. What do people do with most of the coaching staff? Mike Phelan looks like a better coach than assistant manager, Butt and Cox don't seem good enough for Manchester United either. 

Interested to hear people's thoughts and experiences.

1 minute ago, sedge11 said:

I personally sold him, as I had Dembele and greenwood who were better.

But if he’s scoring plenty of goals then keep him, no need to change it.

34 minutes ago, willbrown83 said:

Martial has been great for me 33 goals in 1st season got 30 in the league and missed a few games with injurys and rotation playing as AF 

I'll keep him and see what happens at the end of the season

Yes I have mentioned about starting a save, but still haven't started yet :lol:

The main reason being, it's my first FM save since FM13 so everything seems overwhelming for me right now, I honestly don't know where to begin, training seems so complicated! I like the full fat version as I actually enjoy having interaction with coaches and players etc but the depth to this game is on another level compared to 7 years ago. I also haven't started because I was working on a tactic to get my lone striker firing in a 4123, but from my tests on FM Touch I have now done that so I'll be starting asap. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

4 hours ago, BigV said:

Keep, always keep, better as an AF imo, put him in a tutoring group with high det and aggression/work rate, give it time and it'll go up by 2-4 within a couple years, trust me. 

Wait, how do you do turtoring? I spent ages trying to figure it out but found nothing about tutoring, thought they had taken it out of the game. I saw it in touch but not the full game

edit: forget that, I will just google it haha - idiot moment, don't mind me, think this virus is messing with my brain lol

Edited by Powello
I'm an idiot

Title decider  Liverpool vs United 

Untitled.thumb.jpg.14439cf9ade2c6beecb5f2a82d5678b8.jpg

They won at Old Trafford when we lost 1-2 when Rashford got sent off early in the first half.

Wish me luck

15mins Goal Mane 1-0

29mins Goal Arnold 2-0

34mins Goal Mane 3-0  We can't get the ball :(

All out attack 

44Mins Goal Mane 4-0 ffs

4-0 ft we never turned up  (gutted)

Edited by pele10

Season 2020/21: Feb-May

News:

Managed to sign Axel Tuanzebe up to a new contract on £75Kp/w, he saw sense after binning his agent. Also had issues with Rúben Dias and Jack Grealish who both had agents demanding £275Kp/w, I offered £190Kp/w which I thought was fair, but both rejected. Got a bit messy, ended up dropping both and putting them in the U-23s for about a month before they both started moaning in the media, so we reopened discussions and ended up getting Grealish on £140Kp/w and Dias on £200Kp/w :D

Going through a similar issue with Aaron Wan-Bissaka's agent asking for a silly fee plus a £275Kp/w wage for his client. Not happening.

Ethan Laird has made some fine progress and is now a great understudy to Wan-Bissaka, who signed him up to a new 5-year-contract. Don't know if anyone has tried this either but I'm currently retraining Scott McTominay into a right-back too as he has the skillset, in my opinion, to play there, and be a useful option.

Tahith Chong won Young Player of the Year on loan at Rangers in Scotland.

Takeover rumours have also started to circle in the media - are the Glazers ready to sell up?

The u-23s had a great season, lifting the PL International Cup and the U23 title:

0n8rcNL.jpg

7uOssnK.jpg

The u-18s had a solid season, just missing out to Manchester City:

9wgFjLa.jpg

Premier League: :thup:

Back-to-back titles at Old Trafford, no messing about, with Lautaro Martínez smashing in 36 goals in the process:

BMNUUnz.jpg

zO5FLT6.jpg

Highest win of the season coming away at absolutely awful Middlesborough:

0DwNaqO.jpg

Paul Pogba picked up the FWA and PFA Player of the Year awards, with Lautaro Martínez easily winning the Golden Boot with 36 goals in 34 games whilst also taking the PFA Young Player of the Year award.

Leicester City underperformed and sacked Brendan Rodgers replacing him with Unai Emery. Chelsea hired Şenol Güneş after losing patience with Massimiliano Allegri. At the end of the season, Liverpool also sacked Jürgen Klopp and Arsenal sacked Mikel Arteta with no replacements yet hired.

Community Shield: :thup:

Simple, comprehensive win against FA Cup winners, Brentford:

xf6R320.jpg

EFL Cup: :thup:

And the prize for the most boring final in living memory goes to Arsenal v Manchester United - sweated a 1-0 win thanks to Arsenal's reserve goalkeeper throwing one in his own net in the 94th minute after Pablo Mari was sent off:

uAWGpP9.jpg

FA Cup: :thup:

Having knocked out Liverpool (H), Ipswich (A), Swansea (H), Lincoln (A) and Tottenham (N), we had Everton left in the final. Everton have been heavily investing over the last two seasons despite losing Carlo Ancelotti, but Manuel Pellegrini has taken them to 5th in the league.

We ended up running out 3-1 winners to complete a domestic treble:

F6QY7SY.jpg

Champions League: :thup:

Topped the group then knocked out Benfica, Lazio and Manchester City:

gpiIRZz.png

Setting up a final against an ageing Real Madrid.

We didn't disappoint in Saint Petersburg, after being dominated in the opening 15 minutes, we got a lucky equaliser before controlling the game, despite Marcus Rashford hitting the crossbar from the penalty spot. Run-in gout 3-1 winners after goals from Paul Pogba and a poachers effort from Lautaro Martínez we lifted our first Champions League since 2008 and bring home the quadruple:

hBMQ8v7.jpg

Transfers:

Obviously I already have Gianluigi Donnarumma coming in on a free transfer which may see David de Gea leave, I've got a big decision to make there. This summer I'd ideally like another striker (proper #9) so I can rest Martinez more often, and a left-footed inside forward to play off the right as competition/cover to 99. Gianluigi Donnarumma. Also an elite centre-back is on the list. The board have set the budgets at just short of £200m.

Roll on Summer...

Edited by stevemc

@stevemc That goalscoring record still with the 4231? Damn, most of the signings you have made, I'm also planning to sign them lol. Definitely Martinez, Sancho, Luis, Dias, Bellingham and Milinkovic Savic. Well hopefully it turns out that way :D Definitely targeting the LB Sergio Reguilon on a free transfer at the end of season 1 as he looks quality, he'll compete with Williams for the starting LB spot. I then plan to sell Shaw, should make a very healthy profit and receive a slightly better LB than Shaw in the process with potential to get even better. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

20/21 Season

Fresh after winning almost everything last season, we went into the summer in good spirits. On came the Club World Championships which we won, beating Liveprool 3-2 in the Final. Can't really remember what happened now and for some reason I can't look at the match, just the result.

For obvious reasons I was pretty happy with the squad but wanted to add a few youngsters. I'd already sorted out a few signings for the summer by watching the youth intakes in march and snapped a few of the quickly and as I mentioned in my last update I had already arranged Bellingham to sign

SLzzbkr.jpg

As You can also see I brought Rinaldo back in January, which was a transfer made from the heart rather than the head and turned out to be a bad deal as he only played about 6 times before getting an injory that was going to keep him out for 8 months. He decided to retire during that time.

We started the new seaosn by beating Liverpool 2-1 in the Community Shield and Hoffenheim 2-0 in the Euro Super Cup. The league went pretty much as expected, we won it again, this time remaining unbeaten but I am disappointed that we didn't win more games. We conceded 1 less than last seaosn but scored 13 less which was disapoointing and also meant I didn't get the +100 GD I was aiming for :(

OBhLjD7.jpg

sGKryNi.jpg

As you can see we won almost everything, our only failure was losing the Carabao Cup final against Wolves on penalties after a 1-1 draw. We beat Liverpool, again.p Final and we just beat Barcelona 3-1 after ET in the Champions league thanksto a super sub cameo from Haaland  scoring twice.

Below are the stats for the first team squad this season:

fw28jnV.jpg
77ynQ8h.jpg
uLKQBUt.jpg

u23 and u18s;9

The U23s lost the league by 1 point to city :(, they didn't get out of the group in the international cup but they beat Palace in the premier division cup.

The u18s won the division 1 north then beat Chelsea in the final, lost in the 5th round of the FA Youth cup, Beat Liveprool in the premier division cup, then beat City in the Champions cup. So I would have to say the future looks bright for the club.

Next seasons aims

As Iam currently unbeaten in the league for 72 games I think it is, I want to keep that going and have another unbeaten season, but I want to win every game this time and smash the GD target. I want to break as many records as I can. Obviously I want to retain all trophies and reclaim the Carabao cup.

Player wise, I am looking at selling a few players, on my list at the moment are Maguire, Martial, Everton, maybe Shaw and Pogba as well, not decided yet. I have some good youngsters I want to give more game time to and get them developing quicker. 

I want to sign Mbappe, just for the hell of it, but hes at Madrid and I have been quoted almost 300m. The board have given me 200m at the moment but the new season hasn't startted yet so that could change, If I managed to sell the 3 I really want to then I could afford mbappe but I haven't decided what to do yet. Not like I need him lol

31 minutes ago, manchester said:

Starting a save shortly and want to sign Bellingham where do you think his best position is ?

I personally play him as a rw on support and hes doing pretty well for me. Not tried him anywhere else

Anyone else really like the look of Garner and has anyone kept him long enough to be a first team regular? I really like the look of him, he looks like he has potential to be a top DLP or even just a bog standard DM. I will be using him a lot in the first season for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Anyone else really like the look of Garner and has anyone kept him long enough to be a first team regular? I really like the look of him, he looks like he has potential to be a top DLP or even just a bog standard DM. I will be using him a lot in the first season for sure. 

Funny you should ask that, I have literally just been debating about whether to sell him or not as he is in his last year of contract and not done enough yet to cement a starting spot. I'm still not sure whether to sell or to renew contract and I am just starting the 4th season. I don't think I have given him enough game time to date to aid his development and I might have ruined him for my squad

3 minutes ago, Powello said:

Funny you should ask that, I have literally just been debating about whether to sell him or not as he is in his last year of contract and not done enough yet to cement a starting spot. I'm still not sure whether to sell or to renew contract and I am just starting the 4th season. I don't think I have given him enough game time to date to aid his development and I might have ruined him for my squad

I plan on playing him semi regularly for the first season, he will be playing with the 1st team definitely but will be made available for the other squads league games too. I'll definitely be getting him mentored asap as he has low determination so that will need to be sorted. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

2 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I plan on playing him semi regularly for the first season, he will be playing with the 1st team definitely but will be made available for the other squads league games too. I'll definitely be getting him mentored asap as he has low determination so that will need to be sorted. 

over 3 seasons for me he played 45 times, he did ok when called upon, has an average of 6.92. My biggest mess up was not utilising mentoring . I'm in the middle of a mass clearout at the moment, getting rid of a lot of players, quite a few cms, pogba included. SO I might give him another go this season, see if I can get him developing and playing better