New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

The 4350u has a base rate of 1.7ghz

2450m has a base rate of 2.5ghz

i3-4100m has a base rate of 2.5ghz

The 1.7 ghz can overclock to 2.9ghz

Usually the "u" processors have a very low frequency base rate which can overclock to larger numbers.

As FM is a processor intensive game it uses the processor a lot, a side effect of this that the processor gets hot - meaning that it will run slower and blow the fans on it to try keep it cool. If it gets too hot it shuts down.

Therefore, for FM a "u" processor" will likely never get to it's highest possible ghz.

Whereas a computer that is already performing at 2.8ghz at it's lowest frequency base rate is better than one that might reach it's highest frequency base rate.

I say avoid the "u" processors for FM only - as it's a processor intensive game - and for the price people are paying there are better computers with better processors.

And I have found better processors/computers for people who keep posting links to "u" processors.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking for a laptop to run FM smoothly were I haven't got to worry about the game speed and can have a fair number of leagues loaded. Not really arsed about 3d as I enjoy text and 2d! Budget around £350-£400. Don't know if this is asking too much, but any help is appreciated!

Ok so I have decided maybe I can spare a bit more money, how about the Dell Inspiron X510000AU 15.6" Notebook?

Specs

Display Size (Inches) - 15.6

Resolution (Pixels) - 1366 x 768

Screen Resolution - HD

Processor Type - Intel Celeron

Processor - Intel Dual Core Celeron

Processor Model Number - N2830

Processor Memory Cache - 1M

Processor Clock Speed (GHz) - 2.1

Processor Max. Clock Speed (GHz) - 2.4

RAM (GB) - 4

HDD Storage - 500GB

Total Storage - 500GB

Graphics Processor - Intel HD Graphics

Card Reader - MMC

Battery Cell Count - 4

Operating System - Windows 8.1

Link:https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/dell/dell-inspiron-x510000au-15-6-notebook/546914/

Thanks for all the help guys :)

As FM is a processor intensive game it uses the processor a lot, a side effect of this that the processor gets hot - meaning that it will run slower and blow the fans on it to try keep it cool. If it gets too hot it shuts down.

The trouble is, the above is essentially scaremongering ... if the laptop is of any decent build quality (and if it's not, they should steer clear of that model / manufacturer completely anyway) the processor WILL NOT overheat, because the cooling solution fitted by the manufacturer will be sufficient. Therefore it will NOT underclock itself, and therefore it will perform just as well if not better than the other processors mentioned. The advice is even more odd bearing in mind I'd fully expect a lower-powered CPU to run cooler anyway, not hotter.

My point stands ... people should use all available information to make an informed choice, simply telling people not to buy a 'u' processor across the board when it may in fact be the right choice for them at their price point is not helpful imo.

Don't get me wrong Eugene, reading back through this thread it appears you've been extremely helpful to many people, I just thought this particular point needed some more clarification.

Monty.

As you can see - using your site you pointed to as a reference the 4350u is not the best

http://cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2010&cmp[]=2410&cmp[]=800

And it's not surprising the 2450m is at the bottom as it's 2 generations older.

Hmmm, steady on ... I never said it was 'the best'. And your second point actually reinforces my point ('m' is not always a better choice than 'u').

This is quite hot on HotUKDeals. Might be of interest some.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dell-intel-i7-8gb-ram-geforce-840m-465-dell-2066424

Oooh, good find ! That discount code can actually be used against any Inspiron laptop, so you can get the non-touchscreen version for £350 ... this one;

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-3542-laptop/pd?oc=cn54228&model_id=inspiron-15-3542-laptop

Monty.

Hello. I've been looking for a laptop to run Fm15, I don't know a huge deal about these things. Was wondering if somebody could help me out as I've been looking at this one: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-e5-551-15-6-laptop-black-10011211-pdt.html#cat-0. Is that good enough to run a few leagues on smoothly while being able to play with 3d graphics at atleast medium settings?

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: Budget probably about £500 max

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MGX72B/A&step=config#

I am looking to get the macbook pro but my budget probably won't stretch to the i7 model (which is dual core rather than quad core anyway).

I was wondering what difference the extra 80 quid for the faster i5 would make? Also how many leagues could I run with very very fast processing day to day (say maximum of two seconds)?

TThanks

I am looking to get the macbook pro but my budget probably won't stretch to the i7 model (which is dual core rather than quad core anyway).

I was wondering what difference the extra 80 quid for the faster i5 would make? Also how many leagues could I run with very very fast processing day to day (say maximum of two seconds)?

TThanks

You could get an i7 laptop windows for that price. Better specs than the i5 mac book pro for less the cash.

You could get an i7 laptop windows for that price. Better specs than the i5 mac book pro for less the cash.

Not if I have to purchase it through work and have to use Macs. I'm not looking for an alternative, just an estimate of what I will be able to do with my purchase.

TThanks

Not if I have to purchase it through work and have to use Macs. I'm not looking for an alternative, just an estimate of what I will be able to do with my purchase.

Ah work computer. There's no real answer to your question. It depends on the processor model. Nobody can tell you how many leagues it will run efficiently.

There's a few benchmark threads around - I suggest you look at those.

what about this one? http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-15-j186na-15-6-laptop-silver-10011532-pdt.html#cat-0

I am thinking of getting a new laptop

I know the processor is good but what about the GPU?

Not bad :)

But this is better!

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/CB-CZ5850-518GA-Cube-Chameleon-CZ-5850_1693789.html

Differences are

The one point to is a 5,200 rpm drive - where the one in my link is 7,200 rpm - slight faster.

Graphics card in my link is slightly better.

Only downside is that I don't know Cube Chamelon at all, so not sure on their reputation.

Where HP is very reputable and highly recommended.

Completely up to you.

From my own limited knowledge, if you look at the currys processor - i3-4030U Processor. Basically means an i3 with a U at the end (meaning ultra low power), not the best for a laptop running games. But look at Eugenes SaveOnLaptops link, its got an i7-4700MQ. simply i7 - better, with an MQ - meaning quad core laptop. i.e. very very good.

Personally i am looking for an i5 with M at the end of the number but not having much luck

From my own limited knowledge, if you look at the currys processor - i3-4030U Processor. Basically means an i3 with a U at the end (meaning ultra low power), not the best for a laptop running games. But look at Eugenes SaveOnLaptops link, its got an i7-4700MQ. simply i7 - better, with an MQ - meaning quad core laptop. i.e. very very good.

Personally i am looking for an i5 with M at the end of the number but not having much luck

I struggled to find an I5 processor with anything other than a U processor. There wasn't much choice about.

What are your budgets for the i5? I can possibly find you 1.

Im looking an i5 mobile, with no optical drive, and approx a 15 inch screen. with no excessive memory needed, obviously mainly to be used to play FM!

Im not sure yet about an integrated graphics card, as i know there is a min spec to play it and not fully sure if an i5

would cater for this.

And budgets about 500.

Ive hunted but not had much luck yet for what i want

Im looking an i5 mobile, with no optical drive, and approx a 15 inch screen. with no excessive memory needed, obviously mainly to be used to play FM!

Im not sure yet about an integrated graphics card, as i know there is a min spec to play it and not fully sure if an i5

would cater for this.

And budgets about 500.

Ive hunted but not had much luck yet for what i want

Dell Inspiron 15 ? See link higher in thread.

Hmm you can custom build your own computer on save on laptops . co .uk

Handy

Cube Chameleon Cz-5 Series, 15.6" HD (1366x768) Matte Screen, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 2GB Graphics, USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth, 2 Year Cube Warranty, Brushed Mineral Grey

System:269CD-6ZN2

£598.96 £598.96 Remove

COA Win 8.1 x32/x64 COA ORY OEI PC,WN7-00822

Express 10 day manufacture and testing

Intel Cpu/Core I5-4210M 2.60Ghz Fcpga10 Tray

Kingston ValueRAM 1x 4GB Laptop So-Dimm DDR3 1600Mhz Memory RAM Module, 1 x 4 GB , DDR3, 1600MHz, Non-ECC, CL11, 1.5V, Unbuffered, DIMM,KVR16S11S8/4

Seagate Momentus Thin 500 GB 2.5" Internal Laptop Hard Drive, SATA ,5400 rpm ,16 MB Buffer,ST500LT012

Offer Code:

Total Exc VAT : £499.14

Total Inc VAT : £598.96

Read the quote, he said £500 and he can get an i5 2.9GHz with 4GB RAM at £525, if he can't stump up the £25 then he can always go for the cheaper i5's.

I though the entire budget is £500.

If the OP can clarify on the entire budget that would be great.

It's also a U version which he doesn't want and shouldn't get.

This again ?!

That laptop will run FM15 absolutely fine from a processing perspective (3D graphics on lower settings I assume), and it's within his budget. If you think it won't, you have no idea what you're talking about and should not be giving advice in this thread I'm afraid.

It might run it fine - but it will play at the much lower base rate frequency which is 1.7ghz - due to the processor being in excess demand, it will be hot and due to this it will go a slower speed to keep cool. Otherwise it will overheat and the laptop shuts down.

U processors are good for running Office applications, multimedia etc. but not great for games, and certainly not great for games such as FM which use the processor a lot.

It might run FM fine - but I'll only find computers that are better than what people post, and in fact, the "u" processors aren't that fast at their base frequency.

What I find online are superior computers for roughly the same price.

Gives the user on the forums here a better computer to play FM with.

It's not about finding what FM will be comfortable with, it's about finding the better computer for the same price.

You need to calm your beans you angry little man ...

Oh dear ... *ignore*

It might run it fine - but it will play at the much lower base rate frequency which is 1.7ghz - due to the processor being in excess demand, it will be hot and due to this it will go a slower speed to keep cool. Otherwise it will overheat and the laptop shuts down

This is the bit I don't get Eugene ... you say this like it's the standard operating procedure of all 'u' chips, but my understanding is that this will only happen in a situation where the build quality of the laptop is poor and sufficient CPU cooling isn't built in (machines / manufacturers that should be avoided anyway I would suggest) ? As a general rule I'd expect a low power CPU to run cooler, not hotter, no ?

Just got this myself seems fine from what i can tell if I have missed anything John lewis are very easy to deal with in regards of returns pretty sure will run the game fine tho

http://www.johnlewis.com/hp-envy-touchsmart-15-j144na-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-ram-1tb-15-6-touch-screen-silver/p1585641

Now I'm heading over to game there offering fm 2015 for £19.99

This laptop and offer was stunning but unfortunately it went before I could get it. Has anyone seen any good similar deals?

Look I'll put it to you like this

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4210U+%40+1.70GHz

See the processor your recommended - it's worse than a 2nd generation i5, and your 4th gen processor that you linked to in your post says this is a good buy?

I'm pushing people towards the higher end of the processors - the top 3 on that list, or top 5.

If they can afford a M or MQ or HQ etc. processor then that's what they should get.

If they're looking at U or T model processors then I steer them towards the higher end of the processors that give better value for their money and more longevity.

I'm not going to recommend U or T model processors for FM. That's my opinion, and you're welcome to your opinion.

If they're budget only allows them 1 buy for the next 5 years don't you want that to be the best buy they can get?

If the choice is between an i5 4200m or a i5 4200u then they should get the "m"

http://ark.intel.com/compare/81012,81016

It's not rocket science.

Thats all fine, opinions are opinions ... but you've made a specific claim (on multiple occasions) about constant overheating under load, that the processors will routinely underclock themselves to cool down etc, and stated it as FACT. That's what I'm specifically questioning;

It might run it fine - but it will play at the much lower base rate frequency which is 1.7ghz - due to the processor being in excess demand, it will be hot and due to this it will go a slower speed to keep cool. Otherwise it will overheat and the laptop shuts down

This is odd, as a) lower powered processors run cooler, and b) I've seen far more anecdotal evidence of faster chips overheating in laptops (as they use more power and therefore get hotter. So where is the evidence to back up the above ?

What it all bottles down to is the U processor is the slowest and should not be bought for gaming.

If like me people are planning to use your new laptop for say 5 years they are better investing in the best they can, even if that means stretching their budget a little further.

I have also said a few times in this thread for people to stay away from a U processor, I would not buy 1 myself so I can't very well recommend them to other users.

I have a laptop with i5-3337U CPU, 8GB RAM, and an SSD drive, and it runs Football Manager just fine with a large DB and 10+ leagues (can't remember how many exactly, I'm at work now). It has no dedicated graphics, so the 3D match is choppy, but that is unrelated. Note that the CPU is actually an older generation. They are not the quickest (weren't designed to be), but nowhere near as terribly slow as some people here claim them to be.

This is odd, as a) lower powered processors run cooler, and b) I've seen far more anecdotal evidence of faster chips overheating in laptops (as they use more power and therefore get hotter. So where is the evidence to back up the above ?

Ultralow power processors are not as good as M or MQ or HQ etc.

If they do run at their top speed they can overheat, like any processor. To keep cool they run at their slowest speed....

Makes sense.

Therefore, I would not recommend a U processor that runs at 1.7ghz for FM.

Would I recommend it for someone who wants to do MS Office, play videos and listen to music online? Of course I would.

But not for FM.

What it all bottles down to is the U processor is the slowest and should not be bought for gaming.

If like me people are planning to use your new laptop for say 5 years they are better investing in the best they can, even if that means stretching their budget a little further.

I have also said a few times in this thread for people to stay away from a U processor, I would not buy 1 myself so I can't very well recommend them to other users.

Exactly

I have a laptop with i5-3337U CPU, 8GB RAM, and an SSD drive, and it runs Football Manager just fine with a large DB and 10+ leagues (can't remember how many exactly, I'm at work now). It has no dedicated graphics, so the 3D match is choppy, but that is unrelated. Note that the CPU is actually an older generation. They are not the quickest (weren't designed to be), but nowhere near as terribly slow as some people here claim them to be.

How far are you into your save?

I'd run just as many leagues, and in 10 seasons it's just fine.

20 seasons, grand.

30 seasons, there's a bit of slowness.

After about 40 seasons I get bored and start over.

1st season of new game much quicker than game with 40 seasons.

Thats all fine, opinions are opinions ... but you've made a specific claim (on multiple occasions) about constant overheating under load, that the processors will routinely underclock themselves to cool down etc, and stated it as FACT. That's what I'm specifically questioning;

A U processor is bad value for money.

I had a U processor before my AMD and I hated it thought it was slow for the amount that I spent and was disappointed. I now have an MQ processor and find it much better for around the same price I paid for the U processor.

So just to summarise what we've learnt today. Avoid u processors unless its all you can afford as they are slow and can be prone to overheating with playing games or something along similar lines. I guess I wasn't so clueless after all :-) to be fair I learnt this stuff off Eugene and others on the forum from where I bought my laptop from and to be fair its all been sound advice.

nothing wrong with U processors they run on a lower voltage than thier counter parts and run cooler than thier counterparts, so I have no idea why anyone can complain they overheat.

The U stands for Ultrabook, which is the very slimline thin laptops. If your playing games on ultrabooks of course they are bloody going to overheat. They are thin, so a lot less cooling in them. Which is why the U processor was created to lessen the effects.

The U stands for Ultra Low Voltage.

Nothing to do with Ultrabooks other than they're used in them, along with netbooks.

Playing FM most processors will be running hot. It's just the way it is.

The advice all along was to avoid U processors as they have a lower base frequency rate - meaning that when it's in overheat mode it slows to the lower base rate.

You can get a M or MQ processor where it's base rate frequency is much higher - therefore better for FM.

But if you want to get a U processor then go for it - don't come crying back here :)

The U stands for Ultrabook, which is the very slimline thin laptops. If your playing games on ultrabooks of course they are bloody going to overheat. They are thin, so a lot less cooling in them. Which is why the U processor was created to lessen the effects.

Now we are just getting silly. :)

This thread is about people giving advice for other people that are going to spend their money on a new laptop, a lot of money for some people.

Eugene's advice has been very good and he has went to a lot of trouble in giving that advice.

I mean really if you don't agree with the advice then post what laptops people should be buying, keep in mind they are putting their money in your hands.

No one is saying a U processor can not run FM, of course it can, on the other hand if someone is handing over €500+ on a new laptop they are best to get the best laptop they can, that I think everyone can agree with.

Archived