New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so what sort of processors should we be looking for?

Here is a decent guide to go with, it also depends on what you can actually afford of course, for gaming I would avoid the U series, if you could afford it then the HQ or MX is what you will want.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html?iid=prod_core2duo+body_processornumbers

Scroll a little down to find out what each letter represents.

I'm not arguing either...I've been asking for days on here also barely got little reply...as soon as i started posting on otf2 (the otf offshoot website from here) i started to get some proper advice from some of the more serious fm users...after posting my budget and them searching (and debating at length even between themselves) the lenovo i posted is the one they came to that is best for that budget...I'm just waiting on what they say about the gpu, as on the amazon website you can switch between 2...if the most isn't needed I'll just get the lower one...i haven't ordered mine yet, but i will be doing once I've sorted the gfx query out

can you send a link to this thread so I can have a read :)

Sorry, i thought u meant the last one on ur links...now i see it's the first. I've been asking for days about new laptops...i haven't had as much detail as what I've had off otf2...i will link the website for u, but u might need to register to get to the thread.If the U processors are seen as worse then fair play...but the lads on tgere seem to know their beans and they've put this laptop up over others...maybe the fact it has a sshd means it makes a bigger play than one that is inly an m processor...I'm not sure!I have now said about Daylight saying those processors are worse and will hopefully get some response.http://www.otf2.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16630&p=1860797#p1860797

Here is a decent guide to go with, it also depends on what you can actually afford of course, for gaming I would avoid the U series, if you could afford it then the HQ or MX is what you will want.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html?iid=prod_core2duo+body_processornumbers

Scroll a little down to find out what each letter represents.

Any more advice when looking for a good laptop in price range?

Any more advice when looking for a good laptop in price range?

I take it you guys are in the UK?

I am in Holland and have just last week bought a new laptop, all of my searching was based in Holland of course.

I was moving from a desktop to a laptop as, well with 2 young kids in the house my desktop setup was taking up too much room.

I also play a lot of games with my laptop and has been my main hobby for quite a few years so I decided to spend a bit extra when buying 1.

I will have a look around the UK sites that I know of and post anything I find here, I will just grab a beer and see what I can find. :)

Conquering the Italian Leagues in FM can wait for a bit I guess!

Cheers daylight...much appreciated...cliff over on otf2 can't split our 2 machines for different reasons...another tech guy like u helping out would be much appreciated...I'm in no hurry, just want to get the best for my budget, I'd imagine kirky's budget is similar to mine of 600 quid

I take it you guys are in the UK?

I am in Holland and have just last week bought a new laptop, all of my searching was based in Holland of course.

I was moving from a desktop to a laptop as, well with 2 young kids in the house my desktop setup was taking up too much room.

I also play a lot of games with my laptop and has been my main hobby for quite a few years so I decided to spend a bit extra when buying 1.

I will have a look around the UK sites that I know of and post anything I find here, I will just grab a beer and see what I can find. :)

Conquering the Italian Leagues in FM can wait for a bit I guess!

thankyou daylight much appreciated :)

Looks like the Kirky link is the better laptop overall...unless daylight can now come out with a beefier one???

Cliff did such a great job over on otf2...he might not be finished yet with finding a beast of a machine!!!

its taken about an hour but I have gone through all the thread lol. it sound like the link I gave is better processor but poor on anything else.

im still not completely sure on Lenovo. is there a reason that the spec inside them only 600 compared to same spec in a hp envy is about 1k

its taken about an hour but I have gone through all the thread lol. it sound like the link I gave is better processor but poor on anything else.

im still not completely sure on Lenovo. is there a reason that the spec inside them only 600 compared to same spec in a hp envy is about 1k

It has a poorer screen and doesn't have a sshd...but apart from that it looks to everything at best. Looks the best so far in my budget anyway.

Well had a little look around and I am just wondering if you guys can move a little on your 600 quid budget?

If so then you can get this laptop for 700 quid and I am sure it will do you for quite a few years.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-175A12-278-MSI-GP70-2PE(Leopard)-278UK_1682400.html

hmmm i5-4200h is not quad core its a dual core according to intel. is that correct. would that change your recommendation?

msi are better laptop is that correct? got a lot better screen and the NVidia graphics also better

http://ark.intel.com/products/75027/Intel-Core-i5-4200H-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

due to having a low price budget for a gaming laptop has anybody gone for refurb laptop or this too risky???

hmmm i5-4200h is not quad core its a dual core according to intel. is that correct. would that change your recommendation?

msi are better laptop is that correct? got a lot better screen

http://ark.intel.com/products/75027/Intel-Core-i5-4200H-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

It has 2 cores but 4 threads.

MSI are 1 of the best makers of gaming laptops, they are full HD and backlit, I am maybe being a little blindsided as I own an MSI laptop, not that particular 1 but I can say the screen is amazing and I have no complaints with mine.

When looking I am also looking at the GPU, I have seen cheaper laptops but I find it a bit hard to recommend buying a laptop with a lower end GPU, maybe a year or 2 from now you will not be able to play the games you would want with anything less.

With anything you only get what you pay for, I paid a bit extra for my laptop as gaming is a hobby of mine and I dont want to be buying another new laptop in 2 years.

It has 2 cores but 4 threads.

MSI are 1 of the best makers of gaming laptops, they are full HD and backlit, I am maybe being a little blindsided as I own an MSI laptop, not that particular 1 but I can say the screen is amazing and I have no complaints with mine.

When looking I am also looking at the GPU, I have seen cheaper laptops but I find it a bit hard to recommend buying a laptop with a lower end GPU, maybe a year or 2 from now you will not be able to play the games you would want with anything less.

With anything you only get what you pay for, I paid a bit extra for my laptop as gaming is a hobby of mine and I dont want to be buying another new laptop in 2 years.

thanks for the advice will have to have to see if I can persuade the mrs to let me spend more :)

what do you guys think of this looks a bargain to me and with my limited knowledge should play fm fine or am i missing something as it seems to good at £500

http://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-z50-75-laptop-amd-fx-8gb-ram-1tb-8gb-sshd-15-6-/p1756529

after reading all this thread and others threads regarding laptops for fm the opinion was to stay away from amd as intel is supposedly far more superior but it all depends budget. have a look earlier in thread there a few Lenovo with decent intel processors in for between 550-600 but if budget is higher look towards what daylight posted the msi, I quite like that and I think that going to be my choice just a tad over my budget though

I'd agree with what Kirby said regarding processors. I have an AMD processor with my Samsung laptop and I've really been disappointed. I've had it approximately 2 years and it feels like it's on its last legs. For a little extra this looks like an excellent choice

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/59405975-Lenovo-Z510_1536146.html

ive never had a amd so could only say what comments ive seen. as I have said in earlier threads specs seem decent in this for price just not sure on the Lenovo laptop, I like the msi, on another thread that rebel was on yesterday the guys seemed to think that the msi was overpriced for what it was..

It really depends on what people want, like I said I would not recommend getting a laptop with less than the 840m card, I am not saying they would not be any good but personally I would go for that card or higher.

Looking on the same website for the 840m card here is the list of laptops.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/products/keywords/840m/ex/clearance%2cdummy%2ctradepack%2cdummy-warranty%2cdummy-peripherals%2cacc-PSU~A~Battery%2cebay%2cshape-Laptops%2cshape-Tablets%2cshape-Desktops%2cclearance-laptops

Now you can get a laptop cheaper with that card but it does come at a cost, you will either have to get the 15" screen instead of the 17" screen also the screen will not be as good as the MSI screen, or you will have to get a slower processor, maybe even both.

It really is down to personal choice, you could even go for something like the 620m card and again find it a bit cheaper, personal choice and of course it all depends on your budget.

It really depends on what people want, like I said I would not recommend getting a laptop with less than the 840m card, I am not saying they would not be any good but personally I would go for that card or higher.

Looking on the same website for the 840m card here is the list of laptops.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/products/keywords/840m/ex/clearance%2cdummy%2ctradepack%2cdummy-warranty%2cdummy-peripherals%2cacc-PSU~A~Battery%2cebay%2cshape-Laptops%2cshape-Tablets%2cshape-Desktops%2cclearance-laptops

Now you can get a laptop cheaper with that card but it does come at a cost, you will either have to get the 15" screen instead of the 17" screen also the screen will not be as good as the MSI screen, or you will have to get a slower processor, maybe even both.

It really is down to personal choice, you could even go for something like the 620m card and again find it a bit cheaper, personal choice and of course it all depends on your budget.

I thought for fm it was all about cpu and not the gpu?

after whats been said about amd proccessers on here i am looking at this 1 again from john lewis but i am going to have to get one from there as is only option due to finaces im pretty sure this will run fm fine i7 and ssd but am not 100% any advice appreciated guys

http://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-z50-70-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-ram-1tb-8gb-sshd-15-6-/p1603672?navAction=jump

U processors are very slow compared to other processors, they should be looked at as the 'budget' range.

I'm sorry but that is completely untrue, U processors are not "budget"!!

I have an ASUS UX32A ultrabook (had it for 2 years now) with an Intel i5-3317U processor and only 4GB RAM and it handles FM15 easily (like it handled FM14).

The UX32A is actually a premium ultrabook so to brand a whole host of processors as budget is ridiculous. Yes, they don't use as much power but that doesn't mean they're budget or not good enough to run FM15.

Guys, if your buying a laptop just so you can play fm15 then do not think you need anything amazing.

FM15 specs are incredibly low.

I bought a laptop for the girlfriend 3 years ago for £300 and it can probably run fm15.

You do not need an i7 cpu, so dont pay the extra for it. i7 is still not even needed for top end games that are being released atm.

So if you see a laptop you like with an i5 cpu then thats fine.

If your on a budget I would reccomend you to buy AMD instead of intel though, as for what FM15 needs, the AMD cpu can more than deal with it

A low end graphics card will run the game the exact same as a high end 1 will.

You need minimum 2gig memory to run the game but I would recommend at least 4 gig, 8 gig if you can get it though as laptops slow down fairly quickly.

For me the biggest annoyance with laptops is windows 8.1. As all new laptops come with that i recommend if you have got an old copy of windows 7 or even windows xp, to reformat and install those as windows 8.1 is a very bad and very slow operating system.

Changing the operating system will speed up your game. But make sure you download your wireless/lan driver onto a usb stick first, or you wont get back onto the internet after reformat :)

What people should look for more than anything else is a good sized screen, almost all new laptops will run the game fine.

I'm sorry but that is completely untrue, U processors are not "budget"!!

I have an ASUS UX32A ultrabook (had it for 2 years now) with an Intel i5-3317U processor and only 4GB RAM and it handles FM15 easily (like it handled FM14).

The UX32A is actually a premium ultrabook so to brand a whole host of processors as budget is ridiculous. Yes, they don't use as much power but that doesn't mean they're budget or not good enough to run FM15.

The U processor is the lowest cost processor, they do not use as much power and they do run slower than other processors, I never said they would not run FM15, they are the cheaper option when looking at processor types from Intel.

If you read my posts you will see I said time and again that I play a lot of games and as such I would not buy a laptop with the U processor and thus could not recommend them to other users.

I also said time and again it is player preference what they would use the laptop for and how much they could afford, I am just one of those people that when spending maybe 600 quid on a laptop I would rather hold off for a month or two if I seen a better laptop for a hundred quid more and save for that laptop rather than regret my purchase a year from now.

As I have said it is up to each individual in what they want, I can't very well recommend a processor that I would not purchase myself, I gave my recommendations based on what I use my laptop for.

hi guys, can anyone tell me if this laptop will be good enough to run fm 15 smoothly before i buy it.

Acer Aspire ES1-512, 15.6" Laptop, Intel Celeron Dual-Core processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB - Black

Thanks in advance

It should run it okay but you might want to spend a bit more for a better CPU

For those in the know guys, is it better to wait now until January to invest in a new laptop? I'm not in a major rush and I was wondering if I can expect to find better deals then?

Prices wont really be better then compared to now, Christmas is coming up so there will be plenty of deals to be had.

Ok - this is a U processor - so it won't be very fast compared to other models - and the graphics card is an entry level (not very good).

For that money consider this

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/59395010-Lenovo-Z510_1536137.html

Would this be better than the one mentioned, its a u processor but it is i7?

Cheers,

http://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-z50-70-intelreg-coretrade-i7-processor-8gb-ram-1tb-8gb-sshd-hybrid-drive-wi-fi-156-inch-laptop-with-4gb-dedicated-graphics-and-optional-office-365-silver/1409811882.prd

At a quick glance I can only see a couple of minor differences.

The more expensive 1 has 4gig more RAM and a 4k resolution screen and slightly better graphics.

Not as massive difference but for an extra £30 I would go for the 2nd 1.

Archived