New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's get one thing straight though - there's nothing wrong with a U processor.

It probably does quite well, especially the newer models.

But FM is a processor intensive programme, it processes a lot of data through the CPU.

It makes sense to have a better processor.

It's just that some people post asking about a specific computer, on analysis of the computer it's expensive and has a U processor.

On looking at other computers you can get a processor that is better for the same money.

So why on earth would you buy a computer with an inferior processor over one with a better processor for the same price/little bit more/little bit less???

That's all that happens here. Just advice on what's best and within their budget.

Instead of spending £450 spend £500 and get more longevity.

Yes - U processors will run FM. But with your money you can get a processor that's better and have a better FM experience.

Indeed as I said a U processor will definitely run FM, for the same price people can get a better processor and a better experience.

When I was looking for a laptop(I always used a desktop in the past but my 2 kids toys are taking over the living room so I needed a laptop)

I did a lot of research and as I said earlier in the thread I do a lot of gaming in my downtime and quickly decided the U processor would be of no use to me.

Also as I said earlier in the thread I am 1 of those people that when spending a lot of money on something like a laptop that I want to use for a good 4 or 5 years I think it is best to spend that bit extra and get the best possible 1 I can, even if it means delaying the purchase for a little bit.

I ended up spending maybe a bit too much on my laptop but a couple of months later I am delighted I did, much better than a couple of months later regretting the purchase.

Indeed Daylight - I agree.

danthemanwhocan - macs are expensive and you can get more for with pc/laptop for the same price.

Macs are very well built but you either love them or hate them.

I've worked on PC and Mac for over 15 years so I know a lot about them.

You can get an excellent PC that's better than a Mac for half the price.

But... if you want to invest in the Mac then go for it. I'm just an opinion. If you have ipads, iphones apple tv etc then totally worth it.

Really stretching my budget with this but it looks good to me? Any opinions?

http://direct.asda.com/MSI-GP70-2PE-278UK-Leopard---17.3-in.---8-GB-RAM---1-TB-HDD/000542030,default,pd.html?dual=0

I would only have to pay £675 too, not £750.

I have an MSI laptop, not that model but all I can say is I am well chuffed with mine.

If you can afford it I would certainly pull the trigger on that, the cooler boost button is really good for keeping the system cool, I normally start that just before I watch the 3D highlights and it works very well, really nice addition to have.

The specs on the Leopard are also really good, also the steelseries keyboard and screen I can 100% guarantee you will love!

Indeed Daylight - I agree.

danthemanwhocan - macs are expensive and you can get more for with pc/laptop for the same price.

Macs are very well built but you either love them or hate them.

I've worked on PC and Mac for over 15 years so I know a lot about them.

You can get an excellent PC that's better than a Mac for half the price.

But... if you want to invest in the Mac then go for it. I'm just an opinion. If you have ipads, iphones apple tv etc then totally worth it.

Cheers. I just want something that will last a few years, I dont want to have to spend 1k every year in a laptop for FM. I purchased one for 900 4 years ago and that lasted me until recently. so something like that with good longevity and good processing speeds

There is (much) more to laptops than the CPU o.O How good is the screen? How light is the laptop to carry around? What about keyboard and trackpad (are the keyboard buttons illuminated)? Battery life? Storage space and RAM? Dedicated graphics? Build quality and durability? And most importantly, what are you going to use the laptop for? To base the decision solely on the CPU (or raw power) the laptop has is just silly.

If you're gonna carry that thing around then, IMHO, the best laptops you can get yourself are a top-notch Macbook Pro or the Asus Zenbook NX500 (if you can afford any of these). Or for super portability, get yourself a Surface Pro 3 with an i7 (if you can afford it). It will run Football Manager a tiny bit slower, but you get all the other benefits I mentioned above.

For a desktop replacement, you can get a 17" gaming Asus or maybe even Alienware. Yes, they cost a fortune, but they're going to last a long time. Just don't expect to be able to carry them anywhere. Carrying a 17" 4,5kg Asus on a business trip is not something I'd recommend to anyone.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you want to do with your laptop. So dismissing one that has a bit slower CPU but a brilliant screen (the screen is what you'll be looking at all of the time, even when NOT playing Football Manager) for one that has a faster CPU but a crappy TN panel with a low resolution... Well, whatever floats your boat.

Of course they all have to be taken into consideration, no one is just judging a laptop by the processor speed, the thread just got side tracked into talking about that.

Also for a desktop replacement you could get an MSI laptop, they start at a lower price than the Alienware. ;)

The main aim here is to look at peoples' budgets, where they usually buy from or if they don't find somewhere for them to buy.

I then look at the 3 most important aspects for FM.

Processor

RAM

Graphics

For FM everything else is secondary.

If someone says they want a 17 inch then I look at those, or 15 inch or whatever they are looking for.

If they want a 13 inch computer in the range of £650 then I might recommend an MacBook Air for an extra £200 - or this which is in their price range http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/MCF3CUK-Lenovo-M30-70_1656775.html and suits their request - and it's pretty similar performance to what's in a MacBook 13 inch base computer.

Am I happy about the processor - no - but it's in their range of what they're looking for.

If someone wants to have a Super HD screen like a Retina display and has a budget of £500 they need a reality check. If they have £1500 then there's some wiggle room to find a laptop or Mac that suits their price range.

What Eugene, Daylight, Myself and others aim to do is this thread is to try and find the best possible laptop that will last the longest and is the best value for money. Eugene is very experienced in this field and as he said before, nobody has ever come back to complain about his recommendation in all the years that he's been here to help.

Of course everything needs to be taken into consideration, but certain parts of the laptop are more important than the others. Nobody is saying and has never said (despite people jumping to conclusions and calling certain people clueless) that U processors wouldn't do the job, but when somebody comes along and shows the person who has a £500 budget a £400 laptop with a U processor and then someone else comes along and shows the person a £495 laptop with an M processor and pretty much better in everything else, why would he buy the U processor laptop?

I can't speak for others in this thread, but the screen resolution is the very first thing I look at. If it's rubbish then I don't recommend it.

I know what you mean, but I feel you focus too much on the raw performance. Sometimes it's better to buy a laptop that is 10% slower, but is lighter, does not get too hot, has a better screen etc. And what about the keyboard, connectivity, trackpad and all other parts? And build quality? Will it stop working just after warranty expires? I think the advice "faster CPU, bigger hard drive" is oversimplified.

Why not get the laptop that's 10% faster, doesn't get too hot, has a better screen?

FM is a processing computer - people need a fast processor - not a slower processor.

Most people here don't care about the scree, they just a computer to play fm with.

You go ahead and make your suggestions on what computers people should think about getting - and we'll go ahead and do the same.

I've no further interest in talking about this with you at all. You clearly have a different set of criteria that you focus on - so you do just that and post your computers that you found that suits the OPs request.

The main aim here is to look at peoples' budgets, where they usually buy from or if they don't find somewhere for them to buy.

I then look at the 3 most important aspects for FM.

Processor

RAM

Graphics

For FM everything else is secondary.

If someone says they want a 17 inch then I look at those, or 15 inch or whatever they are looking for.

If they want a 13 inch computer in the range of £650 then I might recommend an MacBook Air for an extra £200 - or this which is in their price range http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/MCF3CUK-Lenovo-M30-70_1656775.html and suits their request - and it's pretty similar performance to what's in a MacBook 13 inch base computer.

Am I happy about the processor - no - but it's in their range of what they're looking for.

If someone wants to have a Super HD screen like a Retina display and has a budget of £500 they need a reality check. If they have £1500 then there's some wiggle room to find a laptop or Mac that suits their price range.

For FM, yes. But are people here really going to use their laptop only for FM? Think it's better to play FM faster on 1366x768 than a bit slower in full HD? I don't think so :p And what happens when they want to watch a movie on it? :)

For everything else, I do agree.

For the love of crud! Yes people here are mostly looking for laptop to play FM with - that's all!

If they have a budget of £1000 I'll recommend a Mac.

If they have a budget of less than that I'll recommend something else.

It's about other people's budgets! Not what I prefer!

For the love of crud! Yes people here are mostly looking for laptop to play FM with - that's all!

Just out of curiosity:

Let's say these two laptops cost the same:

i5 CPU @ 2.0-3.0 GHz

8 GB RAM

Integrated graphics

15" 1920x1080 screen

Has HDMI out, USB3.0

256GB SSD drive

Light and portable

i7 CPU @ 2.0-3.0 GHz GHz

8 GB RAM

Integrated graphics

15" 1366x768 screen

No HDMI, only VGA, USB2,0 only

512GB SSD drive

Bulky and heavy

Which one would you recommend here?

What's the model number of the processors?

What type of RAM?

What integrated graphics, card or just on the chip?

Screen resolution may play a deciding factor.

Do you require HDMI out?

USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 - this may be a deciding factor.

SSD drive size - not important as both are sufficient - any other plans for your make believe laptop?

Light and portable vs Bulky and Heavy? Well are you planning on traveling with it or just have it in a corner dedicated to FM?

It's not a test, it's a legitimate question :confused:

No it's not, you just made up 2 systems and asked which he would pick, you even went to the trouble of listing 1 as bulky and heavy and the other as light and portable.

It all comes down to what each individual needs their laptop for.

For example I could not care less if my laptop was bulky and heavy or if it was light and portable, my laptop never leaves the house, so that would not even come in to it when I was decided on a laptop.

It's not a test, it's a legitimate question :confused:

It's nonsense. You're trolling the thread.

This thread is for people that want advice on buying a laptop dedicated for Football Manager.

Feel free to start your own.

What's the model number of the processors?

What type of RAM?

What integrated graphics, card or just on the chip?

Screen resolution may play a deciding factor.

Do you require HDMI out?

USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 - this may be a deciding factor.

SSD drive size - not important as both are sufficient - any other plans for your make believe laptop?

Light and portable vs Bulky and Heavy? Well are you planning on traveling with it or just have it in a corner dedicated to FM?

Ok, I got the impression you'd ignore all that and just go for the faster CPU, without considering anything else and what the people asking for advice really want to do with their laptops, other than playing FM. My bad, this time :)

I'd Just like to say I am one of those people who just buys a laptop for FM. its nice that I can watch movies on it, download/listen to music etc but that's not my main priority. If I wanted to watch a film, i'd rather watch in on the tv and not a small screen. if I wanted to listen to music, i'd plug the ipod into the stereo. The laptop for me is the conduit for Football Manager nothing else (apart from the internet of course) :)

Can some please have a look and tell me which one is better. Or can somebody recommend one i have a budget of £500 thanks

Best guess for you

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.MG7EK.003-Acer-Aspire-E1-771_1558089.html

You can upgrade the RAM later on to 8gb if you get a bit more spare cash. Simple to do - look up the computer model and instructions for removing/replacing ram.

I think I've found the best deal:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Beautiful-i7-Laptop-With-Max-Turbo-3-2-Ghz-8GB-1TB-Hard-Drive-Slim-14-/251706557572?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item3a9ae14484

I've bought one of these and its arrived today, it comes with the top integrated graphics (iris 5200) which are equivalent to the GT 640/650m and it has one of the best processors of this generation (I7 4750HQ) it preforms much better than my Dell (which had i7 4500u).

haven't tried FM on it yet but it should load 80k players with 5 star game speed.

Archived