New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you were using that setup did you feel it had potential to run more leagues and players than that at a good speed?

Still very interested in this.

Yeah i would say so, it wasnt slow at all in terms of processing times or during the 3D. Loading time for starting the game was fine too, a couple of minutes. I would say if you wanted to speed up even more, SSD would be a decent option.

I havent really looked at RAM or CPU usage as i play, might have a look tonight. I cant see how many more players you could add without DDT files either!

• 2 weeks later...

Was shopping around looking for a USA version of that amazing Acer deal. Found the same machine with different specs (including a "different" graphics card), refurbished at TigerDirect for $584.96, in case any other Yanks are reading this.

I'm looking for pretty much this very deal. Wonder if anyone has some insights on this particular package? Looks like the 630m and 540m are the same card (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/343935-33-which-better-nidivia-geforce-540m-630m) for one thing. Going to mull this over for 24-48 hours. Would be really nice to have a new laptop for FM this year!

I'm interested in the Acer as well. I'd been thinking about something with a SSD for faster saving of games, but I can't seem to find one that matches up otherwise. I'd also considered going down the desktop route, but I wouldn't know where to start. My budget is about £600 and I already have a monitor etc - I presume you still get more bang for your bucks in a desktop compared to a laptop these days?

I've managed to up my budget to £750 or thereabouts so I'm looking at the Chillblast Fusion Chimera (http://www.chillblast.com/pconf.php?productid=18332). I wonder if any of you could help me with a few questions I have in terms of configuring it.

Firstly the Intel Core i5 3570K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.5GHz and the Intel Core i5 2500K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.6GHz are the same price. What would be better for FM?

Secondly, would RAM running at 1600MHz be much better than that with a speed of 1333MHz? Again, FM is my main concern.

This is spec I have saved just now (just under £750). Am I light in the PSU/cooling/case/mobo or anything like that given the overclocked processor?

Case:

EZCool A200D Basic Case

Processor:

Intel Core i5 3570K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.5GHz

CPU Cooler:

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste:

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste

Motherboard:

Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard

Memory:

8GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB sticks)

Graphics Card:

Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 1024MB Graphics Card

Solid State Drive:

Intel 120GB 330 Series Solid State Drive

1st Hard Drive:

1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps

1st Optical Drive:

Sony 24x DVD-RW Drive

Power Supply:

EZCool Basic 650W PSU

Sound Card:

Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Cable Management:

Standard Chillblast Cable Management

all looking good there matey.. the 650W psu should be plenty .. even for the overclock.

the 3570K is essentially the follow up to the 2500k but for gaming sake.. its only marginally better... so really, its up to you to weigh up the cost. personally i'd still go for the 3570K though, it's superb.

Higher MHz RAM is always a good thing.. get the higher one.

all in all.. its a sexy beast

Thanks. The PSU on that one isn't that well recommended it seems though :/

I'm either going to go with that spec or this one from overclockers (with the addition of the same SSD as above): http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-247-OE

It comes in about £75 cheaper overall once delivery is included. The graphics card is worse and the HDD is smaller though. I don't intend to play many games other than FM (and I'd hope that card could cope easily) and I don't think I need a whole 1TB storage, so I'm leaning towards the overclockers one just now. I'm just not sure though.

Decided to get the laptop (my post, 4 posts above this) after some consideration. I'm terribly excited and glad to be the 3rd or 4th person in this thread to go for it. We should have an Acer FM club or something. Thanks for all the discussion and review people. I know I'm not the only one to have lurked this thread to some nice hardware.

Gee... with tech like laptops and pc's .. you just have to dive right in and buy what you're comfortable with...

specs and prices change week on week so you can't just hang around...

just be sure what spec you want and buy

Yeah I keep telling myself that lol. I'll hopefully make a decision over the weekend.

After my previous comments about the amazing value, ordered that one myself. Arrived Friday and confirm its a cracking laptop. Not done much FM, but first game loaded 19 leagues and 72000 players and ran like a dream, the 3d graphics also as smooth as.........well lets keep this polite and say very smooth ;)

Any updates on the general performance of this laptop? I would like to run 26 leagues or more.

Oh and btw bad luck for you, Jordan, as the laptop is now unavailable at that price. It is still available for £550 though which is still a good deal.

Tried to buy the Acer for £500 but its no longer for sale.

Did notice 2 for £600 www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5755G_1269327.html#DetailTop and http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5755G_1152340.html#DetailTop

Only differences I could see is one had NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M with 1GB and the other had 2GB, Is there much of a difference between the 1GB and 2GB?

Right, back to the OP, the time has come for me to finally order my new laptop. I had been looking forward to ordering this laptop today for about 4 weeks now - http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5755G_1175154.html

On thursday I checked to see if it was still on offer and if there were plenty left and everything was fine. I finally get paid today, come to order it just now and what do you know? ITS BLOODY NOT AVAILABLE NOW!! I knew this would happen....

Anyway, Basically, I need help finding another similar specced laptop on offer for a similar price. (i7 processer, decent graphics card, 500 pound ish). I hope you can all help me as much as you did a few weeks ago, Thanks again.

Right, back to the OP, the time has come for me to finally order my new laptop. I had been looking forward to ordering this laptop today for about 4 weeks now - http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5755G_1175154.html

On thursday I checked to see if it was still on offer and if there were plenty left and everything was fine. I finally get paid today, come to order it just now and what do you know? ITS BLOODY NOT AVAILABLE NOW!! I knew this would happen....

Anyway, Basically, I need help finding another similar specced laptop on offer for a similar price. (i7 processer, decent graphics card, 500 pound ish). I hope you can all help me as much as you did a few weeks ago, Thanks again.

The same one is still available, it's just £50 more http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5755G_1152339.html#DetailTop

Seen these 2 which have appealed- not very tech minded so need help.... was thinking of a macbook but a mate has sort of talked me out it, so looked at a few other laptops. I need a decent laptop for work, but at the same time i enjoy playing as detailed a game as possible on fm, large database. 150k players and 25 plus leagues etc.

Acer Aspire 5755G

Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Quad Core Processor

Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit

8GB DDR3 RAM

2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M Graphics

£599

Vs

Samsung 350V

Processor - i7-3630QM Core i7 - 2.4 GHz

RAM - 8 GB

Graphics- Intel

£699

If there isnt going to be much of a difference I will obviously go for the Acer.

Okay so I think I'm gonna go for a desktop. I need a monitor though and the one I was looking at was a 1080p LG for £83. I'm trying to keep the price down though (don't want to go above £800 for desktop and accessories combined) so should I just save some money and get a 720p monitor instead?

Seen these 2 which have appealed- not very tech minded so need help.... was thinking of a macbook but a mate has sort of talked me out it, so looked at a few other laptops. I need a decent laptop for work, but at the same time i enjoy playing as detailed a game as possible on fm, large database. 150k players and 25 plus leagues etc.

Acer Aspire 5755G

Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Quad Core Processor

8GB DDR3 RAM

2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M Graphics

£599

Vs

Samsung 350V

Processor - i7-3630QM Core i7 - 2.4 GHz

RAM - 8 GB

Graphics- Intel

£699

If there isnt going to be much of a difference I will obviously go for the Acer.

go with the acer.... ive never liked samsungs on the whole and the processor in it isn't really any better on the whole

Okay so I think I'm gonna go for a desktop. I need a monitor though and the one I was looking at was a 1080p LG for £83. I'm trying to keep the price down though (don't want to go above £800 for desktop and accessories combined) so should I just save some money and get a 720p monitor instead?

720p one mate... there's very little need to stretch a budget to get 1080p ... even if you did notice a difference, after a day, it would fade from memory :)

what desktop you thinking?

go with the acer.... ive never liked samsungs on the whole and the processor in it isn't really any better on the whole

Cheers mate- thanks for taking the time to offer some advice! Was hoping I was going to be told to go with the acer!

Thinking of getting a new desktop as my current one is quite a few years old now. Was thinking of this one - does anyone know if it will be decent enough for FM.

ADVENTDT2111

Intel® Core™ i5-2320 Processor

Memory: 8GB DDR3

Graphics: AMD HD6670

yep more then adequate mate.. but i'd question the price of an advent pc... i'm sure you can get better for whatever the price of that one is ... if you give us a budget, id be happy to find a suitable one :)

especially if its the one from bloody curry's .. £589!

yep more then adequate mate.. but i'd question the price of an advent pc... i'm sure you can get better for whatever the price of that one is ... if you give us a budget, id be happy to find a suitable one :)

especially if its the one from bloody curry's .. £589!

Yeah it's that one from Currys - looking to spend £700 top (bit less if possible but 700 if need be.)

Any reccomendations would be appreciated mate.

what you gonna need the pc for? just general every day use or like gaming etc?

and do you need a monitor and OS etc?

but just as an idea...

http://www.chillblast.com/pconf.php?productid=18332

this one i knocked up is cheaper than the advent and around 3 times better .. did i mention how much i hate curry's?

Ha ha - I kind of got that impreesion!!

Pc will just be for browsing online and word processing use. As far as games go then FM and Civilization are the only games I use the PC for.

oh ... you really don't need to spend anywhere near that amount of money then mate..

but the one i just linked up there will last you years as it is and will handle anything you throw at it

Cheers mate - is that a good site to order from?

One thing I forgot to mention is that I use a lot of music software - ableton, sonar, reason etc.

Currently using a Mac at the moment but considering changing my setup - would that desktop handle that kind of stuff or would I be looking higher end?

chillblast is superb.. i love it ..

if you're after a system to do some sound editing etc.. you might wanna configure it a little more and give yourself a decent sound card.. the asus xonar is superb from personal experience....

you can swap out the cpu etc if you like too.. you dont really need as powerful a cpu as the 3570.. certainly not overlocked... maybe the 2500k?

have a play around with it mate.. and google the components if you dont know them.. you'll find you can save £100's just from playing around and getting the right setup for you

chillblast is superb.. i love it ..

if you're after a system to do some sound editing etc.. you might wanna configure it a little more and give yourself a decent sound card.. the asus xonar is superb from personal experience....

you can swap out the cpu etc if you like too.. you dont really need as powerful a cpu as the 3570.. certainly not overlocked... maybe the 2500k?

have a play around with it mate.. and google the components if you dont know them.. you'll find you can save £100's just from playing around and getting the right setup for you

Cheers for the info and help mate.

720p one mate... there's very little need to stretch a budget to get 1080p ... even if you did notice a difference, after a day, it would fade from memory :)

what desktop you thinking?

I'm looking at this one:

http://www.palicomp.co.uk/cheap-pcs-from-a-199/intel-home/office-pcs/phoenix-i5-storm/prod_348.html

My adjustments are:

AEROCOOL Strike-X Advance Black Case With Red LED USB3 (+£30.00)

PSU - I'll be phoning to get a better 550w/650w version as I don't like the options given.

Intel Core i5 4 Core 2500K 3.3Ghz 6MB L3 CACHE (overclocked to 4.7ghz)

ThermalTake Contac29 BP High Performance Ultra Silent Cooler (+£30.00)

GIGABYTE Z77-D3H With NEW Z77 Chipset

8GB DDR3 1600Mhz - PATRIOT VIPER V3 RED Performance/Gaming RAM

128GB SSD KINGSTON V200 SATA3 - 6Gb/s (+£65.00)

REMOVE HARD DRIVE (-£50.00)

500GB SATA3 - 6Gb/s, 7200 RPM & 16MB Cache (+£45.00)

DOWNGRADE FROM BLU-RAY DRIVE TO DVD+/-RW DRIVE (-£10.00)

AMD Radeon HD 6670 2GB

WINDOWS 8 - 64 Bit Inc DVD/Licence (PC Ships After 26th Oct 2012) (+£10.00)

PRICE - 670.00

..............................................................................................................

So, what do you reckon? Going over board?

I'll be buying a monitor too which will probably range from £50-80 but haven't found one yet.

all good ... i'd question why you are going for such a beast of a gaming machine and then plumping it with windows 8 though...

I'd also question paying an extra £30 for a flashy light in your case and then not paying the extra £15 for 500gb extra HDD space!

no problem mate.. its a hell of a machine... will blaze through fm and anything else you care to throw at it

Just out of curiosity- what setup do you think i could go with in terms of league, players, and database size etc? Thanks again?

oh, you can basically pick and choose whatever you like.

the cpu is overclocked to a stable 4.6GHz, which is ridiculous, you'll breeze through 30 leagues, 150k player database .

I used to run a 2500k which hadnt been overlocked yet and managed a 200k player database with 15 leagues at 4 1/2 stars in fm performance for 5 or 6 seasons .. no slow down at all...

While the aforementioned Acer is good value for money, I don't quite get the hype, as the graphics card is a bit of a bottleneck, if you're not only playing FM. But maybe laptops in germany are a tad cheaper - anyone tried ordering from there? (cyberport.de or notebooksbilliger.de are 2 of the best/cheapest online-shops)

The best gamer's choice at this time for a laptop under 800£/1000€ is the MSI GE60 series. Lenovo Y580 takes 2nd place, but only with the HD panel (check first!).

MSI GE60-66027H (http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/799303 / in german, but you can see the specs) is my new baby for 850€ (685£) - I recommend upgrading to 8GB though. Never thought playing games in Full-HD on my TV would be affordable that soon. :)

I see what you're trying to say Dooro..

but lets for arguments sake take your new baby...

for almost £200 extra for yours you get yourself an inferior cpu, less ram and a card that isn't actually that much better.. not that it matters one bit with FM....

so in that respect... I can't see why you would pick yours over the acer

There appears to be a few people in here that know their stuff. Could one of you kind people run your eye over this laptop and give me your opinion.

I'm not looking for anything high end as it's a christmas present for my parents. They would just be using it for general use but my dad likes to play FM now and then so want to buy one that is good enough to let him. Do you think the one I have linked to is a decent price or should I be getting more for my cash?

hey shy... that's not a bad price at all to be fair ... and it's perfect for the general browsing, word processing stuff aswell... and yeah, you'll play fm casually on it easily , it has the HD 3000 integrated graphics on it as well if i remember correctly which should be more than able to handle fm

I see what you're trying to say Dooro..

but lets for arguments sake take your new baby...

for almost £200 extra for yours you get yourself an inferior cpu, less ram and a card that isn't actually that much better.. not that it matters one bit with FM....

so in that respect... I can't see why you would pick yours over the acer

Sorry, but:

- Graphics card: http://i.imgur.com/0W5sc.jpg

- CPU: 99% of games don' take advantage of hyperthreading, we're pretty lucky with that for FM, as processing matches (and only that!) uses hyper-threading.

- RAM: really, are you serious? ;)

"the graphics card is a bit of a bottleneck, if you're not only playing FM" - just wanted to point that out, in case you missed the latter part.

Regarding the need to buy a laptop again, CPU & graphics card are the problem, as they are the most difficult to upgrade (normal users won't touch those laptop-wise). RAM, hard drive and so on can be easily changed.

The MSI one is far superior to the Acer, but it's a different price, and the point i wanted to make there is, in German online stores I've seen Acer laptops for roughly the same price but a GT640/650 in 15'' or 17''. So might as well be worth checking if one'd be better off ordering from abroad. :)

i recommended that laptop on the basis that it was for fm .. and everytime ive recommended it, i've asked what it will be used for...

my point still stands, you're paying almost £200 extra for an inferior cpu, less ram and the only thing superior is the graphics card , which frankly, despite your benchmarks there, won't help a damn jot with FM or the casual user, which is all i've recommended that laptop to...

if you can find a german online store which sells the same spec or better for the same price, I will gladly concede that everyone should go along with your recommendation...

You're obviously upset over the fact, that i added the following information to your recommendation: "the graphics card is a bit of a bottleneck, if you're not only playing FM" plus that I've seen similar builds for less or with a better graphics card in Germany. That was more of a hint, to check if the pricing of Acer laptops is higher in the UK than elsewhere.

Don't see anything wrong about it.

The next part was - not to be mixed up with the first statement - my example of possibly the best gamer's choice in its price region (yes, don't forget the close 2nd, the Y580 from Lenovo), to add more valuable information to this thread, as it clearly concerns more than one type of FM playing laptop buyer. It will exceed your recommendation in any other game by miles (which, by the way, was NOT my point, it wouldn't make sense to compare 2 so differently priced ones ;)).

Please don't take this discussion personal, there was nothing of that kind intended.

edit: gonna check for similar i7 Acer ones later on :thup:

nooo not at all dooro, I don't take anything personal!

I'm just used to people coming on just for the sake of arguing..

but a thread like this at the end of the day is all about helping people with recommendations, and if someone can come along and find a better deal, everyone wins :)

Ah, we're on the same page then :)

I forgot the y580's little brother, the z580: http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/lenovo+ideapad+z580+m81f7ge+15+multimedia

Or one of the Acers i thought of earlier: http://www.cyberport.de/?DEEP=1C26-8KD&APID=204 (25 pounds more than your Acer, but 3rd generation i7, more RAM & HD - i really think laptops are more expensive in UK :( )

edit: The i5/i7 part is especially important, does anyone have some facts about the influence of hyperthreading in FM eventually? Because missing out on i7 and choosing i5 (3rd generation) is the biggest way to save money, as it doesn't have an impact for other games.

edit 2:

http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/packard+bell+easynote+ts11hr+310ge 40 pounds less, larger RAM & HD. Packard Bell is owned by Acer and often you can find (almost the) same builds for less.

Archived