New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

Nothing to do with hard drive space - it's a better processor - that's what the game needs to run on - a good processor.

160 gb is loads for FM.

Now I'm confused...This one is 2.6 ghz processor yet i wont be able to run anything else with it?

http://www.thelaptopcentre.co.uk/cheap-refurbished-laptops/toshiba-tecra-m10-10h-intel-core-2-duo-m-226ghz-2gb-ram-160gb-hdd-dvd-rw-windows-141-widescreen-wifi.html

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

Would appreciate an opinion on this. Going to pick up a laptop later and im stuck for choice between the 2 below. Could someone advise please :)

Going to mainly be using it for FM and the occasional use of Music software like cubase. Thanks :)

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Laptops/buy-ASUS-K55VD-SX218V-Laptop/407715

or

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Laptops/buy-ACER-ASPIRE-V3-5710G-Laptop/789429

They're both practically identical. The graphics card is weak in both models.

If you plan on playing other games then try get the Graphics Card with the 650m model instead of the 610 or 630.

Other than that both are fine for FM.

If you want to save a few quid go for the cheaper model - it's basically the same as the other one - very little difference.

I've been monitoring this thread for a few weeks... waiting for payday. Payday came.

I agree the Acer from SaveOnLaptops is a brilliant deal (although its £550 now, not £500 as it was at the time this thread started!)...

But after much deliberation i've gone for a Dell Refurb from the Dell Outlet, for £535.50 (inc. VAT), this is the spec i'm getting;

Inspiron 15R - 7520

Processor: Intel Core i7-3612QM (2.1GHz, 6M Cache, up to 3.10GHz)

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

6 GB DDR3 Dual Channel 1600MHz (2 DIMMs)

750 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

8X DVD+/-RW Drive

Display: 15.6 inch High Definition LED Display (1366 x 768) with TrueLife

Graphics: 2 GB AMD Radeon HD 7730M Card

English Genuine Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64Bit OS)

Back Up Media Not Included

Wireless : Intel 2230 Wireless Card + BT

LCD Back Cover : Aluminium

LCD Back Cover : Aluminium

Battery : Primary 6 Cell 48W/HR

Internal Qwerty Keyboard

Some people don't trust refurbs... but i think they're a great way of getting (a) the same laptop cheaper, or (b) getting a better laptop for your budget. Thoughts on my Deal? There's still some left if anyones in agreement i've got a nice machine for that money :)

@ Welshace -

Just posting in here as your inbox is full.

Thanks for the advice mate but honestly I would only need 500 GB anyway as my current PC which I've had for 4.5 years only has a 320 GB HDD and I haven't even filled that up yet. I don't tend to store much photos/videos etc on my PC anyway.

Hi guys

I'm after a decent laptop that can run fm smoothly with as many leagues as I want without worrying. My budget isn't a lot, around the £300 mark. Apologies if this is the wrong place to put this in.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

@ Welshace -

Just posting in here as your inbox is full.

Thanks for the advice mate but honestly I would only need 500 GB anyway as my current PC which I've had for 4.5 years only has a 320 GB HDD and I haven't even filled that up yet. I don't tend to store much photos/videos etc on my PC anyway.

fair enough mate.. it was more from my own personal experience.. i constantly run out of space lol

but id still go for the desktop tbh

Hi guys

I'm after a decent laptop that can run fm smoothly with as many leagues as I want without worrying. My budget isn't a lot, around the £300 mark. Apologies if this is the wrong place to put this in.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

laptops with that budget are likely to leave you with a system that can only run 5-6 leagues without causing issues...

laptops with that budget are likely to leave you with a system that can only run 5-6 leagues without causing issues...

I've seen some at around that price with 8gb ram and 2.7ghz, that wouldn't cause me problems would it?

My laptops started playing up so need a new one, im on a bit of a limited budget (£300-400) and ideally from argos so I can use the pay in 6 months card.

I only ever run 1 league at a time but do like to use the 3d match engine and have saves that go on for quite a few seasons.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/catalogId/1500002951/partNumber/5087815.htm#pdpProductReviews

Do you think that would be up to scratch??

Cheers

My laptops started playing up so need a new one, im on a bit of a limited budget (£300-400) and ideally from argos so I can use the pay in 6 months card.

I only ever run 1 league at a time but do like to use the 3d match engine and have saves that go on for quite a few seasons.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/catalogId/1500002951/partNumber/5087815.htm#pdpProductReviews

Do you think that would be up to scratch??

Cheers

It's all relative. That laptop will run the game but it's probably going to be an unpleasant experience in some regards particularly the 3D match. At this price level though, they're all going to be much the same, especially if you limit yourself to Argos. Having said that, check in the local Argos store - they sometimes have returned laptops that they sell at a discount.

In that particular machine, the processor is an oldish design (would have been average about 5-8 years ago in a desktop) and not all that fast, but for one league (and a small maybe medium DB) day to day turns should be OK - no more than a minute of processing I should imagine (unless it's a busy cup day, that could chug). The 3D Engine though will struggle on the integrated graphics hardware and only 64Mb of graphics mem <- this will probably not be fun to play.

You *may* be better off trying to find a used laptop with a better spec than buying a new one like this if your main goal is to play FM. Of course that takes its own risks and you'd have to pay now.

Being of the 'old git' variety, I would appreciate some help on this subject. I'm buying a laptop for my Grandson for Xmas, and hoping he will become part of the 'FM' scene. The above has already been helpful, but my Grandson also enjoys 'Minecraft' on line. Would this require a higher spec machine than the one's quoted as perfectly suitable for FM? What do you think 'welshace', or anybody else please...?

the ones generally posted are more than enough for minecraft mystic... minecraft doesnt require a high spec really.. but it does gobble up Ram .. so make sure you have plenty of that...

what sort of budget you looking at? will gladly see what i can find... or of course, just go for one of the ones posted above. Feel free to PM me if you would like any other help at all , or ask in here, i'll see it and there are lot's of people in here who know their stuff :)

Much obliged 'welshace'. My budget can stretch to near 1k if needed, but probably not what I really wanted to pay out. I was thinking about the Dell on here, but if you can give me any other tips I would be most grateful. Not totally dumb, but at my age technology isn't easy mate. Well, at least I'm still mad about FM, so things aren't all bad. Thanks again!

because they are expensive and full of cheap parts paul

Fair enough - I think i've got a good deal however. The reviews I've seen are fairly decent.

EDIT: oh btw the computer I'm using at the moment is an Advent. I doubt it could be any worse!

Never Dell!!!Always overpriced and no part is ever close to it's appropriate quality whatsoever!

What's your evidence for this?

i wouldnt recommend dell either to be fair..

Nothing wrong with Dell at all.

I'm working on a Dell Precision 390 right now and I've had this computer since 2007 and works fine running an Adobe suite on it every day and do Flash and other things. This baby is packed with 3gb RAM and a Intel Core 6400 @ 2.13 ghz.

I've a laptop at home that's Dell too and I bought that in 2006 and it plays FM12 fine. I haven't installed FM13 on it.

And my new laptop is a Dell and it's great for running FM13.

I genuinely in all the years of buying computers have never bought a better one than a Dell.

Well once you format the Drive and install a fresh version of Windows on it to rid of all the Bloatware - they're great, imo.

For the record over the years I've bought HP, Sony, Compaq (might as well be HP), Medion, and a few others and I've had nothing but problems with them.

I guess people just have different experiences with computers, and that's fine. I honestly think Dell have come a long way though and I think their builds are a lot better nowadays than they used to be.

I've been looking for a new laptop for FM as well as a cheap desktop replacement. I'm not a hardcore gamer anymore (I used to think I was, turns out I never was and probably never will be) and I do most of my "proper" gaming on the PS3 so I won't need to spend a bucketload. I've got my mind set on the ASUS N56VM and it looks very decent for the price. It's using the latest quad core i7 processor with 8GB RAM and a dedicated graphics card that will apparently run some really intensive games on medium settings. Finally it has a nice 15.6" screen that has a resolution of 1980 x 1080. I'll be getting it probably before Christmas and so this is a small recommendation for anyone still looking for a laptop!

Since I haven't actually bought the laptop yet, I'd still like to hear if there are any better alternatives available for a similar price. But the design and size of this computer seems pretty well balanced to me.

For the record over the years I've bought HP, Sony, Compaq (might as well be HP), Medion, and a few others and I've had nothing but problems with them.

I guess people just have different experiences with computers, and that's fine. I honestly think Dell have come a long way though and I think their builds are a lot better nowadays than they used to be.

I get a dozen or more laptops through my house/shop a month and dell have always and still will always be the most problematic. In actuality, I'm sitting on a dell typing this right now (only because I won it ). And the parts inside are a case of the lowest bidder wins.. it's all budget parts stuffed into a neat black shiny casing with dell stamped on it... if you were to buy it without the dell logo or casing .. it will be at least £100 cheaper, Which isn't ok with me , and shouldn't be ok with other people.

this is why some websites that let you pick and choose your parts always seem a bit more expensive. Quality over quantity.

but eugene is right.. dell have improved a lot to be fair.

Well you won it - so they were obviously raffling off or whatever way you won it - a cheap computer. It could easily have been any other make.

I'm not saying Dell are amazing - I just don't see the need to single out any specific manufacturer - everyone has different experiences.

Some Dell models are bad, and some HP, and Asus, and Acer etc. are bad. Asus and Acer were terrible for years but they've come on leaps and bounds in the last year or two.

its a inspiron R special edition Eugene :D the best dell offer , but I agree with you in that all brands have faults...

they all have to cut costs in some way... it's just that Dell choose to go the apple route and use cheap components rather than compromise on the build of the casing etc...

the argument really is : great components but cheaper screen and case/build quality or cheap parts and shiny shiny casing etc

I know what id prefer, but you are right.. it's all a matter of opinion and perspective :)

I just think it steers people in the wrong direction especially when there's a really good, for example Dell computer, and people don't go for it over another inferior machine just because it's Dell (or whatever make) because someone said they don't like that particular manufacturer.

So 'welshace', I presume 8GB Ram is what I require? And what other brands would you suggest rather than the Dell, although it appears brand choice might be down to individual preference? What do you think of the ASUS N56 VM mentioned by 'MSCCG'? Also, is it worth looking at extra cooling devices for a laptop over and above the original spec of the machine? Once again, thanks for any help.

anything 4gb and above for ram is fine for what you are looking for mystic...

the ASUS N56 VM is high end and would be over kill for a bit of fm and minecraft thats for sure but its a very very nice machine.

if you can choose upgraded cooling for the laptop.. do it... if not.. purchase an external laptop cooler that your laptop can sit on... i swear by my targus one ... its been a life saver

4gb RAM or more is prefereable (8gb is plenty any more and it's a waste of cash imo)

You'd want a good processor - the numbers are a bit confusing but if it's i5 2xxx then that means it's 2nd generation. If it's i5 3xxx then it's 3rd generation (newer). Similar process with the i7 2xxx an i7 3xxx.

You can do a search for processor number and compare them on Ark Intel - it's pretty easy to see which one is better when the specs are compared side by side.

And you'll need a dedicated graphics card (although the i5 and i7 3xxx are pretty good for FM without a dedicated card). But I recommend a graphics card around the nVidea 650m, not the 610 or the 630.

There are other makes and models of processors like AMD (but I'm not familiar with AMD anymore but it's easy to look up) and graphics cards like Radeon (which I'm not really up to speed on anymore but again easy to look up) - but you can google the parts of the graphics card and use Notebook Checker to read up on if it's an entry level, middle range, or fast graphics card - they usually make it very clear what's best.

There really isn't much to it

4 or 8 gb ram

i5 or i7 2nd or 3rd gen processor

Dedicated graphics card - preferably a middle or fast classed one.

You want the computer to last so buying the best now saves you in the future. I usually go for middle - high class computers (not the top end computers) when I buy, and they usually last me 5-7 years.

@ Welshace - How come the Dell had cheap components? The specs sounded pretty good to me? Do you reckon I should go ahead and purchase that PC I pm'd you about or with it being close to new year, maybe I should wait until the January sales?

@ Eugene - Surely a GT 630 is more than enough for FM. My current desktop of 4.5 years has a 9500 GT and it ran FM 12 on full settings. It only started getting a lesser rating in 'stars' after FM 11 but still runs fine on full.

@ Eugene - Surely a GT 630 is more than enough for FM. My current desktop of 4.5 years has a 9500 GT and it ran FM 12 on full settings. It only started getting a lesser rating in 'stars' after FM 11 but still runs fine on full.

I never intended to play other games on my laptop. But I'm glad I opted for a better graphics card.

The 610 and 630 just don't cut it with a lot of other games and the 650 is better.

And we never know what FM14/15/16/17/18/19 will have in store for us.

Building a computer to last years.

I never intended to play other games on my laptop. But I'm glad I opted for a better graphics card.

The 610 and 630 just don't cut it with a lot of other games and the 650 is better.

And we never know what FM14/15/16/17/18/19 will have in store for us.

Building a computer to last years.

I'll probably be getting a desktop though which is easy to upgrade the graphics card later if needed.

My Inspiron 17R SE arrived yesterday - first impressions are very good, although I've only had half an hour or so with it at the moment.

The screen is astonishing, a substantial improvement on my old Advent, and Windows 8 - although it looks like it will take a bit of getting used to - looks pretty good. The sound is also not too bad for a laptop, although I'll probably connect up my logitech 2.1 set asap.

Archived