Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
JordanBlackpoolFC

New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, coop76 said:

That's an even weaker laptop, in both processor and graphics, than the first one you posted.

You just aren't going to get a new laptop that is capable of running FM well for less than about £600-£650.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

That's an even weaker laptop, in both processor and graphics, than the first one you posted.

You just aren't going to get a new laptop that is capable of running FM well for less than about £600-£650.

Thanks for looking but think he's just going to have to make do as don't have more than £400 to spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a levono z51-70 can I just ask general opinion of that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

 

Thanks to @Smurf and the others for the advice in this topic.

I was going to buy a Macbook Pro but after reading the advice and learning about the need for HQ processors I ended up buying this http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops-notebooks-and-2-in-1-laptops/inspiron-15-7000-gaming-7577/spd/inspiron-15-7577-laptop/cn57705

With cashback and discounts I got it for £980 which is a couple of hundred cheaper than the MBP.  

It runs FM2018 like a dream the processing is extremely fast and match engine is great on high quality.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what would be the cheapest on Very.co.uk to run FM18 reasonably as don't want to get young in a dud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, coop76 said:

So what would be the cheapest on Very.co.uk to run FM18 reasonably as don't want to get young in a dud.

Hi you want something like this to run fm really well.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM969T-ASUS-Gaming-ZX553VD-DM969T_2246201.html

A machine of less spec at very comes in at £799

http://www.very.co.uk/msi-gl62m-7rdx-intelreg-coretrade-i5nbsp8gbnbspramnbsp1tbnbsphard-drive-amp-256gbnbspssd-156-inch-full-hd-gaming-laptop-withnbspgeforce-gtx1050-2gb-graphics/1600229715.prd

This is decent for the price.

https://www.ebuyer.com/803890-msi-pl62-7rc-gaming-laptop-9s7-16jd21-068

 

 

 

 

Edited by private pyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kamy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

 

Thanks to @Smurf and the others for the advice in this topic.

I was going to buy a Macbook Pro but after reading the advice and learning about the need for HQ processors I ended up buying this http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops-notebooks-and-2-in-1-laptops/inspiron-15-7000-gaming-7577/spd/inspiron-15-7577-laptop/cn57705

With cashback and discounts I got it for £980 which is a couple of hundred cheaper than the MBP.  

It runs FM2018 like a dream the processing is extremely fast and match engine is great on high quality.

 

You're welcome! Glad you saved a few quid... and most importantly, got a better computer for cheaper!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coop76 said:

The graphics card will be mediocre at best for any graphically intense game, but the processor should be fine enough for FM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vor 1 Minute schrieb JordanMillward_1:

The graphics card will be mediocre at best for any graphically intense game, but the processor should be fine enough for FM.

FM is not graphically intense , this laptop should run FM 2018 fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, KUBI said:

FM is not graphically intense , this laptop should run FM 2018 fine.

Which is why I said just that. My comment was making the distinction between a graphically intense game (in case he wanted to play, say, Wolfenstein 2 or Assassin's Creed: Origins on the laptop) and FM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM970T-ASUS-Gaming-ZX553VD-DM970T_2145528.html

I bookmarked that after seeing it on here so thanks @Smurf

Ideally I'd like one maybe a bit cheaper, Just wondering if you've saw any lately that are close to/as good as that for say  £650/£700 or am I going to find there's a big drop off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM970T-ASUS-Gaming-ZX553VD-DM970T_2145528.html

I bookmarked that after seeing it on here so thanks @Smurf

Ideally I'd like one maybe a bit cheaper, Just wondering if you've saw any lately that are close to/as good as that for say  £650/£700 or am I going to find there's a big drop off?

See when you go to the laptop page you bookmarked

You will see these boxes at the top. 

You could go for the i5 8gb 1tb 1050 

Capture.thumb.PNG.a083de15488ad830c49ee181238687db.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Smurf said:

See when you go to the laptop page you bookmarked

You will see these boxes at the top. 

You could go for the i5 8gb 1tb 1050 

Capture.thumb.PNG.a083de15488ad830c49ee181238687db.PNG

Aye, saw those thanks but I wasn't sure how big the drop off was. 

Both good enough to run FM18 and be future proof for at least a few years you think? If so will take a closer look at both and decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviosuly the better the computer the more future proofed it is.

However, the i5 would be good too, just not as good. But it wouldn't matter that much in terms of FM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Obviosuly the better the computer the more future proofed it is.

However, the i5 would be good too, just not as good. But it wouldn't matter that much in terms of FM. 

Thanks for the help! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good to go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sort of laptop that costs approx £600 and up... what's your budget?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well then I recommend saving a bit more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, LATB said:

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM970T-ASUS-Gaming-ZX553VD-DM970T_2145528.html

Early signs are very good with this one. 

Do I need to do anything manually regards the SSD I don’t really know what it is

I spoke too soon I’m unable to start a new game and my saved game crashes randomly.

If anyone can check the below thread out and advise that’d be great thanks 

 

Edited by LATB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello there.

Great thread.

I need a new computer - the main purpose is study use (therefore a small screen - max 14'' and long battery life).. I know that this is indeed a limitation for FM18 - Although i want to enjoy the game once in a while.

At the moment i have a computer with i7 (1,80 ghz - 2,40 ghz turbo). Geforce GT 745M, 8gb RAM. Actually think it's fine.. Graphics is ok and the speed also.

Im looking at this one: 

https://www.elgiganten.dk/product/pc-tablets/barbar-computer/HP14BF101NO/hp-pavilion-14-bf101no-14-computer-mineral-silver

http://www8.hp.com/dk/da/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=18575685#!tab=specs

Hope it's okay with the danish language.. It's important for me to buy it from a danish store, in terms of returns and problems etc..

 

The 1.80 ghz processor is one of the things im worried about - But.. I have seen very high recommedations of the 8th generation from Intel. Hope some of you can help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MJ1992 said:

Hello there.

Great thread.

I need a new computer - the main purpose is study use (therefore a small screen - max 14'' and long battery life).. I know that this is indeed a limitation for FM18 - Although i want to enjoy the game once in a while.

At the moment i have a computer with i7 (1,80 ghz - 2,40 ghz turbo). Geforce GT 745M, 8gb RAM. Actually think it's fine.. Graphics is ok and the speed also.

Im looking at this one: 

https://www.elgiganten.dk/product/pc-tablets/barbar-computer/HP14BF101NO/hp-pavilion-14-bf101no-14-computer-mineral-silver

http://www8.hp.com/dk/da/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=18575685#!tab=specs

Hope it's okay with the danish language.. It's important for me to buy it from a danish store, in terms of returns and problems etc..

 

The 1.80 ghz processor is one of the things im worried about - But.. I have seen very high recommedations of the 8th generation from Intel. Hope some of you can help. 

The cpu is a good one, but the lower frequency and high turbo clock speeds mean it all depends on cooling tbh.. especially with a process heavy application like fm that isn't exactly amazingly optimised for multi core performance..

 

personally I'd still be looking at slightly older generations which have been benchmarked thoroughly, you'll get a better spec at the same price point.

 

This one would be more favourable in my eyes:

https://www.elgiganten.dk/product/pc-tablets/barbar-computer/LE80WK000EMX/lenovo-legion-y520-15-6-gaming-barbar-sort

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Welshace said:

The cpu is a good one, but the lower frequency and high turbo clock speeds mean it all depends on cooling tbh.. especially with a process heavy application like fm that isn't exactly amazingly optimised for multi core performance..

 

personally I'd still be looking at slightly older generations which have been benchmarked thoroughly, you'll get a better spec at the same price point.

 

This one would be more favourable in my eyes:

https://www.elgiganten.dk/product/pc-tablets/barbar-computer/LE80WK000EMX/lenovo-legion-y520-15-6-gaming-barbar-sort

Thanks mate.

You're right.. But in terms of studying the Lenovo comes short in terms of battery time and size. 

I'm looking for a compromize. I know that I maybe can't get the best suited laptop for FM - Just want one that are capable of delivering a good experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MJ1992 said:

Thanks mate.

You're right.. But in terms of studying the Lenovo comes short in terms of battery time and size. 

I'm looking for a compromize. I know that I maybe can't get the best suited laptop for FM - Just want one that are capable of delivering a good experience. 

If battery life and size are high on your list of needs, than I would change my recommendation and suggest your original choice...

The cpu is designed for your exact purposes, it's power consumption is incredibly low considering its performance... 

 

I think you picked a good one...

 

If you go for it, i'd be very interested to hear how you get on with it, as it's a cpu i haven't had the chance to mess around with yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Welshace said:

If battery life and size are high on your list of needs, than I would change my recommendation and suggest your original choice...

The cpu is designed for your exact purposes, it's power consumption is incredibly low considering its performance... 

 

I think you picked a good one...

 

If you go for it, i'd be very interested to hear how you get on with it, as it's a cpu i haven't had the chance to mess around with yet.

Thanks again. 

I think i will go for it in a couple of months (just found out it's out of stock). As you were quick to help me - i will of cource get back to all of you in terms of performance. As this thread shows it's also quite individual what people expect from the game. Personally i have been ok with the performance of my old laptop. 

Im quite impressed with the stats here: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8550U-vs-Group-/m320742vs10

I would like to find a review of the laptop.. Although this does not seem so easy...

Edited by MJ1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might benchmark well against other processors, however, the fact remains that FM requires 2.2ghz of processor speed at a minimum. U processors are designed to underclock to keep cooler and to work better, which means that it may not get up to the necessary speed of 2.2ghz for FM, as with FM it's processor intensive, meaning the processor will be working hard, getting hot, and the processor will slow itself to keep working. 

That being said, it ranks highly, and it's good news for U processors, but my personal opinion, based on nothing but my own beliefs, is that it's just a bit too early to start using U processors for FM. 

However, I would like to see how it performs, but wouldn't want to see anyone be used as guinea pig for the forum. It's completely up to you.

I'd be pumping the money into a better processor if you're going to play FM on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It might benchmark well against other processors, however, the fact remains that FM requires 2.2ghz of processor speed at a minimum. U processors are designed to underclock to keep cooler and to work better, which means that it may not get up to the necessary speed of 2.2ghz for FM, as with FM it's processor intensive, meaning the processor will be working hard, getting hot, and the processor will slow itself to keep working. 

That being said, it ranks highly, and it's good news for U processors, but my personal opinion, based on nothing but my own beliefs, is that it's just a bit too early to start using U processors for FM. 

However, I would like to see how it performs, but wouldn't want to see anyone be used as guinea pig for the forum. It's completely up to you.

I'd be pumping the money into a better processor if you're going to play FM on it.

Were are on completely same level here.

But. Again. FM isn't the main purpose with this machine. It's a ''Nice-to'' and my current processor is also 1.8, so i'm already quite happy with that. Maybe i'm not that sensitive as others in this area.

And as already mentioned.. I can't really compete with the 15 and above screens. To get that good specs with a smaller screen i will pay too much in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no way to know exactly how any computer will run FM, as hardware configurations will differ all the time. 

 

The i7-7500 u isn't a particularly good processor for FM. You might be ok with only 5 leagues loaded, you might not. 

This one 

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1198&item_id=108878

or

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1198&item_id=105418

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/01/2018 at 12:08, Smurf said:

It might benchmark well against other processors, however, the fact remains that FM requires 2.2ghz of processor speed at a minimum. U processors are designed to underclock to keep cooler and to work better, which means that it may not get up to the necessary speed of 2.2ghz for FM, as with FM it's processor intensive, meaning the processor will be working hard, getting hot, and the processor will slow itself to keep working. 

That being said, it ranks highly, and it's good news for U processors, but my personal opinion, based on nothing but my own beliefs, is that it's just a bit too early to start using U processors for FM. 

However, I would like to see how it performs, but wouldn't want to see anyone be used as guinea pig for the forum. It's completely up to you.

I'd be pumping the money into a better processor if you're going to play FM on it.

I completely understand the sentiment, but having used U processors for fm extensively in the past, I'm fairly comfortable using them.. it all depends on the cooling solution each laptop uses.. it really is key to performance..

 

The one listed above will comfortably boost to 4ghz using less power than the best 7th gen cpu's out according to most sources, so I have high hopes for them... how they've achieved it is really quite clever too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Smurf said:

There's no way to know exactly how any computer will run FM, as hardware configurations will differ all the time. 

 

The i7-7500 u isn't a particularly good processor for FM. You might be ok with only 5 leagues loaded, you might not. 

This one 

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1198&item_id=108878

or

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1198&item_id=105418

 

Thanks for the info @Smurf. So If that cpu isn't good enough, there is another zenbook with a i5-8250 but I've seen people say it's clock speed is too low, even though it's performance in benchmarks is way more than this i7. That laptop has Intel graphics as well so probably not getting it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Welshace said:

I completely understand the sentiment, but having used U processors for fm extensively in the past, I'm fairly comfortable using them.. it all depends on the cooling solution each laptop uses.. it really is key to performance..

 

The one listed above will comfortably boost to 4ghz using less power than the best 7th gen cpu's out according to most sources, so I have high hopes for them... how they've achieved it is really quite clever too.

I understand that... but generally what I see are laptops with general standard cooling... and most people are on a budget. If you're going to part on a cooling solution then why not just get a top end processor.

I see u processors getting better though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Asus ux430un is so close to that good value ultrabook that can run fm smoothly. The only problem I see is the 7500u has 2 cores. Besides that, the laptop looks very suitable  imo. Anyone know of  alternative ultrabooks that can run fm at a similar price (1000usd/1400cad) ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8-1-2018 at 16:47, Smurf said:

Without a monitor


Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-7640X (4.0GHz) 6MB Cache ()
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
M.2 SSD Drive
500GB WD Blue™ 3D NAND M.2 SSD (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Processor Cooling
INTEL SOCKET 2011/2066 STANDARD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans
1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)

Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Price £1,328.00 including VAT and delivery

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/intel-x299-pc/PUdYPfxsHB/

What would be a good allround gaming monitor to go with it? My budget is max 300,-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/01/2018 at 21:46, LATB said:

I spoke too soon I’m unable to start a new game and my saved game crashes randomly.

If anyone can check the below thread out and advise that’d be great thanks 

 

Wish I'd seen this thread before you bought the laptop, this laptop will not run FM 18. I have tried absolutely everything with it, drivers updated, BIOS updated, GPU driver uninstalled / reinstalled. All the asus bloatware removed, all facepacks etc removed back to vanilla version of game, game uninstall / reinstall all the way to a full windows reinstall. The game crashes on save or after around 7 days.  This laptop in day to day running is great for the price but should NOT be recommended for FM18.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should submit the crash reports and game information to SI - they may be able to tell you more.

Plus, often the drivers on the sites point you to the latest version. But if you talk to a tech engineer on their Web Chat, submit your DX Diag to them, and the game (FM) in this instance with the specs required, they often can and will point you to the exact driver you require.

It's a pity to hear some folks are having issues with this computer - there's no reason specs-wise why this computer won't function for FM. There's a clash happening somewhere, it's just pinpointing it is the issue. 

You might even want to let a tech guy take a look at a local store, or if you can find someone in your area that specialises in IT. 

 

It would  be worth getting it fixed to work correctly with FM - as it's a great computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, toonben10 said:

Wish I'd seen this thread before you bought the laptop, this laptop will not run FM 18. I have tried absolutely everything with it, drivers updated, BIOS updated, GPU driver uninstalled / reinstalled. All the asus bloatware removed, all facepacks etc removed back to vanilla version of game, game uninstall / reinstall all the way to a full windows reinstall. The game crashes on save or after around 7 days.  This laptop in day to day running is great for the price but should NOT be recommended for FM18.

Mine is working brilliantly now. Don’t install GeForce driver update which was released last month and you’re golden. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LATB said:

Mine is working brilliantly now. Don’t install GeForce driver update which was released last month and you’re golden. 

I've been playing around with it all day (it's my dad's laptop he bought on my recommendation last November within budget).  Got it off him yesterday and I've got it running again with added logos and kits etc. The nvidia drivers don't appear to be the issue.  GeForce Experience seems to be causing the conflict.  Removed it and not had (touch wood) an issue since.  

 

I'm not sure if it's the in game overlay (both enabled or disabled) that was causing the issue or whether there was a conflict elsewhere with the system and GE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JordanBlackpoolFC said:

https://www.chillblast.com/chillblast-fusion-xenon-gtx-1080-rgb-gaming-pc.html?category_id=541

Looking at buying a new gaming PC - budget is £1500. Is there anything out there better value than the above PC?

Looks great - don't see anything that would be any better... all coming in around the same price.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys. This is a superb topic, it's a shame most of the laptops are out of my price reach. Was interested in Dell laptops as I use those at work, the FM website had recommended an Inspiron 15 3000 as a cheap option to run FM. There are a few others on the edge of my Max price range of £450 what do you think? It seems clear £600 plus is about the norm for a decent rig but that won't be possible for at least a few months sadly. All I'd be using the laptop for is my match reports at football matches and email, and hopefully FM. I could get a cheapo laptop but I'd rather stretch the budget and try and get one so I can get back into the game. Despite having not played since the 2008 version (honestly) I'm still addicted to FM websites and podcasts, know the game has moved waaaay on from then but am going to get back into it.  Any help/advice gratefully received. 

 

Screenshot_20180202-193404-350.png

Screenshot_20180202-193346-034.png

Screenshot_20180202-193324-187.png

Edited by Kev Mc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...