New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, happy hammer1 said:

Thinking of getting a surface pro for football manager so it’s nice and portable to take with me, I know it’s not the ideal system but require something easily transportable like an iPad ect. Please feedback

19C3F8AF-8CD6-465C-90D1-1EC0A7649C5A.png

It will work - not sure how well. 

This is lightweight and long battery life and be much better

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/AERO14K-V7-CF1-GIGABYTE-AERO-14K-V7-CF1_2185435.html

Bought this off ebay yesterday for 650£ @Smurf.. I'm thinking this is a bargain as an unused item still in box.. Please reassure me it will work as my requirements for a large database

MSI GL62 7QF-1672UK 15.6 Inch Gaming Laptop (Black) - (Kabylake Core i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR IV RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 960M Graphics Card

2 hours ago, huibertspeter said:

Besides the i5 and i7 HQ processors, which other processors are good enough?

Depends on the model number. Different processors have different usage intent, so it's impossible to answer.

1 hour ago, Mosalah said:

Bought this off ebay yesterday for 650£ @Smurf.. I'm thinking this is a bargain as an unused item still in box.. Please reassure me it will work as my requirements for a large database

MSI GL62 7QF-1672UK 15.6 Inch Gaming Laptop (Black) - (Kabylake Core i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR IV RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 960M Graphics Card

Good luck - looks good. 

Hi I was getting a new laptop for Christmas and this is the one I came up with http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7252985?storeID=4119&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:598756200|agid:24290293370|tid:aud-144400486596:pla-393619186287|crid:86846330570|nw:g|rnd:4865096446677534459|dvc:m|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:1007347&gclid=CjwKCAiA693RBRAwEiwALCc3uxTiml__Pmfpw2r7qsKvuTeSEuPjXg1ZJ2i3GC8NasE9tskxEgBeuBoCnIgQAvD_BwE I haven’t got the biggest budget so this seems like the best one I could get at that price? I will literally only be playing football manager on the laptop but I’ve seen people talking about processors for other laptops being not good enough and I assume it’s the same for this so I’m wondering would football manager just not work on this or would it be slower or? I’m not the best with computers

10 hours ago, TFin18 said:

It would work though? I don’t need it to be great I just need it to work. Not played fm for 3 years and I’m missing it lol

It might be able to run a single leave on the lowest possible graphics settings but beyond that it will struggle, it’s essentially a web browsing, video playback device.

1 hour ago, huibertspeter said:

It’s fine, the HQ varients of the i5 are perfect for FM as most players do not use settings that take advantage of the i7/i9 cpu’s & assuming SI/nvidia have sorted out the driver issues the gpu will provide an excellent 3D experience.

11 hours ago, TFin18 said:

It would work though? I don’t need it to be great I just need it to work. Not played fm for 3 years and I’m missing it lol

It's below minimum spec - all computers will install and run the game. 

But if it's below minimum spec then the experience will not be great at all.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

I think this will be the best I can get with what I can afford not gonna lie. As long As it at least works so I can give it a try that’s good enough for me. Thank you for answering

43 minutes ago, TFin18 said:

I think this will be the best I can get with what I can afford not gonna lie. As long As it at least works so I can give it a try that’s good enough for me. Thank you for answering

You're better off putting that cash aside, and adding it to over the christmas - then hit the january sales with a slightly larger budget you could get something a lot better.

4 hours ago, Barside said:

It’s fine, the HQ varients of the i5 are perfect for FM as most players do not use settings that take advantage of the i7/i9 cpu’s & assuming SI/nvidia have sorted out the driver issues the gpu will provide an excellent 3D experience.

Do you agree Smurf?

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Smurf said:

That's not true at all I'm afraid. If it's below minimum spec the system won't be able to run the game. It may not launch at all, or will crash on launch.

5 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

That's not true at all I'm afraid. If it's below minimum spec the system won't be able to run the game. It may not launch at all, or will crash on launch.

You're right, it was too broad of a statement. 

I do run FM18 on a i7 1.8ghz processor (I need a new laptop ASAP :p) - it's extremely slow, however, it does install and run.

However, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's true for all computers that fall below minimum spec. 

My advice as always for computers that fall below minimum spec is to wait a bit longer and save a bit more. I would never recommend purchasing a computer that is below the minimum specs. And if I implied this then I am sorry.

That’s because your i7 exceeds the minimum specs buts a cpu that is designed for a minimal power draw, although clock speed is very important for FM I still maintain that the minimum clock of 2.2ghz referenced on the FM spec sheet relates to much older single core cpu’s & does not instantly mean that a modern dual/quad core cpu clocked below that frequency is to be considered as below spec.

Might be something that Neil can provide some clarity on.

Yes - but at the slower speed below 2.2ghz it's still incredibly slow - so the minimum specs of 2.2ghz for a processor for FM has always run true for me. 

But you're right, I am benchmarking off my own experience, as I don't have anything else. 

I never want someone to make the same mistake I did and buy an expensive computer that was slightly below minimum specs and didn't run the game the way I thought it would! 

I have been in the exact same situation as others. 

The game may run fine for 1 season, or even 2 - but after that it gets incredibly slow.

That was back in 2012 and I've since learned an awful lot about computers since then... that's why I help out as much as I can here.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Yep.

I'm sorry, the website is not very clear I think.... We both talk about the Inspiron 15 5000 Gaming laptop, price 729,99 dollars?? 

In my tabblad i read about Ispiron 15-Inch 5577, is this another name for the  Inspiron 15 5000 Gaming laptop of is Inspiron 15 5000 just the name of the serie?

You posted a link - it was responded to as being fine for FM. And you asked me did I agree and I did agree. 

I'm not really understanding your line of queries here? Can you please clarify what you need help by posting links to each computer you want advice on?

3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Well that is very awkward because I have already ordered the laptop!! Is there anyway to get the specs up?

2 hours ago, huibertspeter said:

Not a chance - go to the specifications - see the Processor Number. 

5a3a25b3768a1_ScreenShot2017-12-20at08_56_01.thumb.png.50fda1c264d5c5049f205ddcb5aef0a1.png

Google that number with the word notebookcheck beside it. 

5a3a25d748d56_ScreenShot2017-12-20at08_56_46.thumb.png.f364422e1bff01f39f86d46b41025038.png 

That shows you it's an "entry level" 

5a3a2610c89ca_ScreenShot2017-12-20at08_57_18.png.6b03837d6bcb7fa5163b269bbbd269e6.png

This means it's probably not very good at processing a lot of detail.

This is more along the lines of what to be aiming for 

https://www.laptopshop.nl/product/786698/category-45702/lenovo-legion-y520-15ikbn-80wk00xymh.html#product_specifications

Archived