New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

7 hours ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

I’m buying an Alienware alpha tomo hopefully.

16gb ram

3.2 quad i3

2 gb graphics

alienware alpha, will this be good to max out match engine in max graphics?

how much?

I wouldn't go for an I3 processor.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

A laptop with Intel Core i5 7300HQ, GeForce GTX 1050 2gb & 8gb ram will see me alright, yeah?

What kind of graphics settings and processing speed boost am I likely to see from my 'ancient' Lenovo T410 (Core i5 540m, 4gb ram, no dedicated gpu)?

2 hours ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

This anygood for 3d an fast play? 

No nothin about amd processors never had 1

9DEF98B4-234F-4A7E-8EF6-DF245E2CD3CD.png

Looks like it will run FM - however, how well it runs it is ambigious for anyone to tell you.

The processor was released in 2012 - which means it's at least 6 years old.

Graphics card is 8  years old.

How much is this computer? And how much is your budget?

38 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Looks like it will run FM - however, how well it runs it is ambigious for anyone to tell you.

The processor was released in 2012 - which means it's at least 6 years old.

Graphics card is 8  years old.

How much is this computer? And how much is your budget?

That’s £160 and cheap as possible tb honest but open to £200

Hi thanks for sending me over here. My budget is low recently just had a child so have got much spare money played football manager for 4-5 years best game I've played by miles so addictive so really wanted to get back into it. I could probably afford £200 at a push. I've heard alot of good things about football manager touch not sure it's true can imagine it's 100% better then the mobile version I've been playing. Hoping to be up and running with football manager by the weekend. If the full version isn' affordable then hopefully I can' sort the cheapest way for the touch version. 

Thanks tom 

8 hours ago, Tomaldiniho said:

Hi thanks for sending me over here. My budget is low recently just had a child so have got much spare money played football manager for 4-5 years best game I've played by miles so addictive so really wanted to get back into it. I could probably afford £200 at a push. I've heard alot of good things about football manager touch not sure it's true can imagine it's 100% better then the mobile version I've been playing. Hoping to be up and running with football manager by the weekend. If the full version isn' affordable then hopefully I can' sort the cheapest way for the touch version. 

Thanks tom 

I don't see anything I would recommend for 200 quid

At £200 you’re probably better off getting a tablet device & playing FM-Touch.

There’s a section on the main FM website listing all FMT compatibile devices.

Hi guys, 

I'm about to purchase a new laptop. While I realise its not really built for gaming, I was hoping to play some FM and some old Total War and Sims games. It has 8gb RAM, a 3.5 GHz processor, 1tb of storage and an AMD Radeon 520 graphics card. Seeing as how I know  nothing about computers, do you think this is good enough? 

hi smurf and anybody can help. i use my laptop for one thing and thats football manager. my current lenovo is causing me all sorts of grief from game freezing,getting the fm has stopped working icon,stuck in teams are warming up and the worst my laptop randomly shutting down and restarting.

its a lenovo 

system model: 20255

processor amd a10-5750m apu with radion hd graphics (4 cpus)

mem: 8192 mb ram

directx  12

device display amd radeon hd 8650g

chip type:amd radeon graphics processor sdi (0x 990b)

dac type: internal dac 400mhz

its running windows 10 64 bit.

i paid 400 quid for it a few years ago 4-5 maybe from john lewis but now its a royal pain in the arse.

last night it started sitting with a blank screen lit up doing nothing and im going to bite the bullet and look at getting a new laptop but i dont want to make the same mistake again as i play footy manager most evenings and weekends so it gets a good amount of use. i have previously had a sony vaio laptop and paid a fortune for it but it kept having issues after 6-8 years of fm abuse. my budget is going to be around 7-800 pounds but may stretch if i can. i normally play the popular leagues limited down to the top league and the english league right down to conference south and north select large database and have 32k + player pool. i dont know much about computers but was always under impression ram was king for fm with large hdd and a multi core processor. i think im right in saying a dedicated games card is better than a shared one? im sorry if i sound a complete newbie at this.

oh and my laptop is 99% plugged to mains and sits on a dedicated laptop board so it doesn't overheat. if anybody could help in my quest for a debugged fm experience with a reliable dedicated fm laptop i would be grateful

As you mentioned that your laptop is always plugged in & on a board are you able to consider going down the desktop PC route or is space and in home portability a primary consideration?

56 minutes ago, Ben nicholas said:

hi smurf and anybody can help. i use my laptop for one thing and thats football manager. my current lenovo is causing me all sorts of grief from game freezing,getting the fm has stopped working icon,stuck in teams are warming up and the worst my laptop randomly shutting down and restarting.

its a lenovo 

system model: 20255

processor amd a10-5750m apu with radion hd graphics (4 cpus)

mem: 8192 mb ram

directx  12

device display amd radeon hd 8650g

chip type:amd radeon graphics processor sdi (0x 990b)

dac type: internal dac 400mhz

its running windows 10 64 bit.

i paid 400 quid for it a few years ago 4-5 maybe from john lewis but now its a royal pain in the arse.

last night it started sitting with a blank screen lit up doing nothing and im going to bite the bullet and look at getting a new laptop but i dont want to make the same mistake again as i play footy manager most evenings and weekends so it gets a good amount of use. i have previously had a sony vaio laptop and paid a fortune for it but it kept having issues after 6-8 years of fm abuse. my budget is going to be around 7-800 pounds but may stretch if i can. i normally play the popular leagues limited down to the top league and the english league right down to conference south and north select large database and have 32k + player pool. i dont know much about computers but was always under impression ram was king for fm with large hdd and a multi core processor. i think im right in saying a dedicated games card is better than a shared one? im sorry if i sound a complete newbie at this.

oh and my laptop is 99% plugged to mains and sits on a dedicated laptop board so it doesn't overheat. if anybody could help in my quest for a debugged fm experience with a reliable dedicated fm laptop i would be grateful

RAM is secondary for FM - sure more RAM might get you a bit - but generally 8gb is more than enough.

Processor is king for FM.

Dedicated graphics card is usually a plus

For a laptop - lowest price I can see that would play FM very well is this one https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JD21-068-MSI-Prestige-PL62-7RC-068UK-in-Sliver_2197296.html

For a desktop - keeping in mind you would need to purchase a monitor - you might need to pay a little bit more.

Would you consider an all in one pc?

Hi space is limited so laptop is a must.  I mainly play fm on the bed in the bedroom which is why I use a laptop or something that can sit on my lap or a platform to prevent overheating. I've not considered anything else like a tablet or all in one

8 minutes ago, jHalligan said:

It's a HP 15.6" AMD A9 laptop and it's 623 Euro ( 552 pounds)

That's an entry level one - check out the one I posted above that would be around your price range.

4 minutes ago, Ben nicholas said:

Hi space is limited so laptop is a must.  I mainly play fm on the bed in the bedroom which is why I use a laptop or something that can sit on my lap or a platform to prevent overheating. I've not considered anything else like a tablet or all in one

I reckon the one above I recommended would be very good for you - if you can stretch your budget.

47 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I reckon the one above I recommended would be very good for you - if you can stretch your budget.

Thanks so much Smurf budget will be around 7-800 But that laptop looks great for the money. Dedicated graphics aswell as a Intel processor. Just need to find the money now as I'm meant to be going on holiday to America at the end of the month so may have to wait until April time. That is unless money I'm due comes in. Thanks so much for your help. Just worried about loosing my saved data or it not working on a new laptop if I do a hard drive copy and paste 

9 hours ago, Smurf said:

I don't see anything I would recommend for 200 quid

What about tablet for football manager touch are there anything you can advise or would be a cheap laptop you could suggest I could look if I can buy one second hand or refurbished 

Pretty sure the graphics card is a 10 year old design so you’ll be lucky to get any working animations above the very lowest settings, if at all.

I can’t see what Xeon it is put taking into account the graphics card it’s probably old enough to have already seen a fair amount of use & workstations are not really the most diligently looked after pieces of kit so there is a risk that it’s beibg replaced because it knackered as well as being outdated.

if it’s personal friend or acquaintance who is offering it ask them if you can install FM on it to see how it runs, if they say no then tell them thanks bug no thanks.

Xeon W3550 

It's a bit old - processor came out in 2009 - so it's a 9 year old computer at least - or 10 as @Barside rightly points out in regards to the graphics card.

It's an old machine - very hard to know... will it work - it should do. 

Anyone know whether this would be good for FM18 Touch? How many leagues could I play at once?

https://www.chillblast.com/chillblast-fusion-arrow-2-gaming-pc.html?category_id=412

Processor: Intel Core i5-8400 Coffee Lake CPU, 6 Cores, 2.8 - 4.0GHz
Case: Chillblast F3 Gaming Case - Black / Purple
CPU Cooler: Intel Stock CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste: Standard Thermal Paste
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370M D3H Motherboard
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Graphics Card
Memory: 8GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory (2 x 4GB Sticks)
Solid State Drive: 250GB SK hynix SL301 Solid State Drive
Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk

I’d spend a little extra on an aftermarket cpu cooler & thermal paste but otherwise you’ll be fine for any FM setup you can throw at it.

I purchased my current rig from Chillblast in 2009 & other than a broken bearing on the cpu cooler 3 years ago it hasn’t skipped a beat, even with a 45% overclock on the cpu & some very heavy loads thanks to all League full detail FM saves.

49 minutes ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

I’m looking at this one. 

My worry is it’s i5-7300hq (processor base 2.50ghz, fm recommended 2.6ghz i believe? Turbo boost is 3.50ghz) I have no idea how turbo boost works so is this is worth it? 

4gb graphics

8gb ram (also will this be upgradable in a laptop?)

93E5FB7E-28CD-4951-A0E7-BE7C052B67E0.png

I have the same CPU in a different laptop and it works fine for me, i usually start with all leagues from Eng/Sco/Italy/Germany/Spain/Portugal/Netherlands/France/Denmark/Belgium with about 70K players loaded and get 3 stars for speed.

On 14/03/2018 at 13:48, Smurf said:

RAM is secondary for FM - sure more RAM might get you a bit - but generally 8gb is more than enough.

Processor is king for FM.

Dedicated graphics card is usually a plus

For a laptop - lowest price I can see that would play FM very well is this one https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JD21-068-MSI-Prestige-PL62-7RC-068UK-in-Sliver_2197296.html

For a desktop - keeping in mind you would need to purchase a monitor - you might need to pay a little bit more.

Would you consider an all in one pc?

Thanks so much for the link Smurf.  My laptop was indeed fried so the old credit card took a bashing and bought this laptop. Will let you know what it's like when it arrives. 

11 hours ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

I’m looking at this one. 

My worry is it’s i5-7300hq (processor base 2.50ghz, fm recommended 2.6ghz i believe? Turbo boost is 3.50ghz) I have no idea how turbo boost works so is this is worth it? 

4gb graphics

8gb ram (also will this be upgradable in a laptop?)

93E5FB7E-28CD-4951-A0E7-BE7C052B67E0.png

Anyone who wants this, you can get 10% off with the new customer first putchase bonus. 

Due to a pay rise i have a chance to buy a new laptop for the first time in 10 years or so (still using a dell inspiron 1525) and i have about £800 to spend. It will mainly be used for FM but would like to play other games on it. Is the laptop below any good? or can anyone recommend one. Thanks

https://www.box.co.uk/FX503VM-DM102T-ASUS-FX503VM-DM102T-Gaming-Laptop_2267825.html

Hi. I am looking to buy a new lap top to play football manager with a budget of around £850. I was looking at this, which seems to be the same as the one  posted above. I would also be grateful for your options and if anyone can recommend anything better for the price. 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX503VM-DM102T-ASUS-FX503VM-DM102T-Gaming-Laptop_2267825.html

On 3/17/2018 at 13:01, Xterno50 said:

Me again haha.

Same specs, what should I get? Between Acer and MSI. 

MSI GL62VR

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16834154702?ignorebbr=1

Acer Helios 300

https://www.amazon.it/gp/aw/d/B06Y4GZS9C/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A29PE8RVBSO64H&psc=1

Best cooling? I guess MSI is better.  (for more intensive games, not just FM)

It's up to you - the exact same specs. 

I haven't looked too closely at the differences - however, I do believe that the MSI battery will drain quicker when not plugged in. If you're plugged in all the time then your fine. 

If weight, battery life, not being plugged all the time etc are important to you then look into this for these computers. 

If not, and you'll be plugged in most of the time - just go for whichever one looks better or is cheaper etc. 

21 hours ago, michael said:

Due to a pay rise i have a chance to buy a new laptop for the first time in 10 years or so (still using a dell inspiron 1525) and i have about £800 to spend. It will mainly be used for FM but would like to play other games on it. Is the laptop below any good? or can anyone recommend one. Thanks

https://www.box.co.uk/FX503VM-DM102T-ASUS-FX503VM-DM102T-Gaming-Laptop_2267825.html

That looks good.

16 hours ago, blue_moon said:

Hi. I am looking to buy a new lap top to play football manager with a budget of around £850. I was looking at this, which seems to be the same as the one  posted above. I would also be grateful for your options and if anyone can recommend anything better for the price. 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX503VM-DM102T-ASUS-FX503VM-DM102T-Gaming-Laptop_2267825.html

That's fine too.

Hi smurf. Do you think i’ll be okay with these specs?

OPERATING SYSTEM

Windows

WINDOWS VERSION

Windows 10

PROCESSOR SERIES

Intel Core i5

PROCESSOR MODEL

7300HQ

PROCESSOR SPEED

2.5 GHz

PROCESSOR CORES

RAM

8GB

MEMORY TYPE

DDR4

HARD DRIVE TYPE

SSD

SSD SIZE

256GB

DEDICATED GRAPHIC CARD

Dedicated

GRAPHIC CARD MODEL

GeForce GTX 1050

GRAPHIC CARD MEMORY SIZE

2 GB MB

3 hours ago, mazelton said:

OPERATING SYSTEM

Windows

WINDOWS VERSION

Windows 10

PROCESSOR SERIES

Intel Core i5

PROCESSOR MODEL

7300HQ

PROCESSOR SPEED

2.5 GHz

PROCESSOR CORES

RAM

8GB

MEMORY TYPE

DDR4

HARD DRIVE TYPE

SSD

SSD SIZE

256GB

DEDICATED GRAPHIC CARD

Dedicated

GRAPHIC CARD MODEL

GeForce GTX 1050

GRAPHIC CARD MEMORY SIZE

2 GB MB

Turbo boost processor to 3.5ghz ;)

16 hours ago, mazelton said:

OPERATING SYSTEM

Windows

WINDOWS VERSION

Windows 10

PROCESSOR SERIES

Intel Core i5

PROCESSOR MODEL

7300HQ

PROCESSOR SPEED

2.5 GHz

PROCESSOR CORES

RAM

8GB

MEMORY TYPE

DDR4

HARD DRIVE TYPE

SSD

SSD SIZE

256GB

DEDICATED GRAPHIC CARD

Dedicated

GRAPHIC CARD MODEL

GeForce GTX 1050

GRAPHIC CARD MEMORY SIZE

2 GB MB

Looks good

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:01, Smurf said:

Hi Smurf

I was going for the top one. That you kindly recommended to me but it's out of stock everywhere I've

looked and doesn't give a date when it will be back in stock.

I've been looking at the other one, not to sure because it doesn't have a discdrive

Can you please tell me if the other one would be ok or should I wait for other one to come back into stock

or do you have any others in mind?

Cheers Mate

https://www.box.co.uk/1GP04EAABU-HP-OMEN-17-w206na_2076999.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-1799E5-1414-MSI-GL72M-7REX-1414UK_2263497.html

Hi Smurf

Just to let you know I bought the MSI laptop.

Have had it about two weeks now and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks for all your help and guys listen to this guy he know his stuff.

Thanks again Smurf.

2 hours ago, thnigelfc said:

Hi Smurf

Just to let you know I bought the MSI laptop.

Have had it about two weeks now and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks for all your help and guys listen to this guy he know his stuff.

Thanks again Smurf.

Cool thanks for letting me know it's working well.

There's a benchmark thread out there somewhere if you want to give it a go and post your results.

Hey guys I'm looking at getting a new tablet but have also been looking towards a 2-in-1 laptop if possible to play regular fm, I have around £700 to spend and wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a decent 2-in-1 laptop or should i just go for a tablet and settle with fm touch?

Archived