New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

I am asking for a friend, he wants a desktop that can run Word, Excel, etc and also FM 18 but his budget is only £400.  I can't find anything and have told him I don't think it will be possible to find a desktop PC within that range that will run FM18 because he won't get anything with a decent enough graphics card.  Is there a PC for £400 that could run FM18? Thanks in advance.

23 hours ago, RedJonnyBoy said:

https://www.ebuyer.com/803890-msi-pl62-7rc-gaming-laptop-9s7-16jd21-068?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=234887473825&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyZLSBRDpARIsAH66VQIT4-ozQybURxVX6n0kjRq97r2sR7QP8xnupXnba3NR4QRmxeDJn6UaAsQWEALw_wcB

I ordered the one above two days ago and arrived today. For £600 this is awesome.

i5 7300HQ processor

8GB DDR4 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2GB

Im thinking of bagging this one for FM18. Looks like a great deal. How is it working for you ? Have you got a few leagues with a large database running ? 

1 hour ago, carlpne said:

Im thinking of bagging this one for FM18. Looks like a great deal. How is it working for you ? Have you got a few leagues with a large database running ? 

I'll be honest, I've not even taken it out the box yet. Will let you know on Sunday. I imagine it will be good for 15-20 leagues on a huge database.

2 hours ago, huibertspeter said:

And... 

Are there any amd processors which are very good for FM?

Not on a price:performance ratio, Quad core i5 is the way to go for FM & for most FM’ers with a limited budget an i3-8350K based system is the right option.

Any advice on the one below. It is is i5 7300 HQ processor with Nvidia GeForce MX150. Would it be able to handle FM18 with 3d graphics and English, French, German, Italian and Spanish leagues running?

Cost is £599 but if I order to today I can get a further 10% off.

https://ao.com/product/9s716jd21068-msi-laptop-silver-54098-251.aspx

Or should I invest an extra £150 and buy this:

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM969T-ASUS-Gaming-ZX553VD-DM969T_2145527.html

Thanks.

Hi guys, looking at a new laptop (mainly for FM). Saw this on John Lewis, but don't know the comparison between AMD and Intel tbh. Seems quite cheap really.

https://m.johnlewis.com/hp-15-bw089na-laptop-amd-a12-8gb-ram-256gb-amd-radeon-530-2gb-graphics-15-6-full-hd-natural-silver/p3357997?sku=237166721&tmad=c&tmcampid=50&s_dscid=DSMG__DPA_FB__Electrical_Retargeting_p12

15 hours ago, Kamakazeee said:

My laptop has just totally died and I was actually thinking about getting a new one. Just wondered if this one was any good, i will only be using it for writing, watching movies and playing fm. 

Thanks

https://www.ebuyer.com/803890-msi-pl62-7rc-gaming-laptop-9s7-16jd21-068

I recently bought this laptop. It's very good for price. I'm used to the speed of SSD when turning the laptop on and general use but it's more than acceptable. FM runs very well, I get about 25 leagues and 9 nations running smoothly. 3D match engine runs pretty good on high settings. 

After you've updated Windows, make sure you update the drivers. 

52 minutes ago, RedJonnyBoy said:

I recently bought this laptop. It's very good for price. I'm used to the speed of SSD when turning the laptop on and general use but it's more than acceptable. FM runs very well, I get about 25 leagues and 9 nations running smoothly. 3D match engine runs pretty good on high settings. 

Thanks for the reply. I'm not too bothered about something being instant continuing, 20/30 seconds is fine by me. So it sounds like it will do the job :)

Being guys I know this thread is pages and pages long but I am after some advice I have got 600 ish budget to get a new laptop soley for fm!! Any recommendations on what I should be looking for. I would prefer one tha processea quicker I hate the non realism in 3D and have always been commentary only since my CM/FM days began in 97 so I’m not bothered about a super graphics as I only watch highlights in 2d. Just want something that proceeess quickly as I have only about an hour a night to play. 

Cheers matt

Hi, the GPU has just gone on my HP i5 and to be honest I’m fed up of Windows. Thinking of getting a MacBook Air but I’ve heard it’s not suitable for FM. Below are the specs I’m looking at. Grateful for any thoughts/advice.

• MacOS
  • Intel® Core™ i5 processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 256 GB SSD

1 hour ago, private pyle said:

It is a cracker

Is he fact it has no SSD compared to the one that’s £50 quid more gonna be an issue . Literally got fm on it and the logos packs etc nothing else. Keeping my old one for iTunes photos etc

9 hours ago, Davmariner said:

Hi, the GPU has just gone on my HP i5 and to be honest I’m fed up of Windows. Thinking of getting a MacBook Air but I’ve heard it’s not suitable for FM. Below are the specs I’m looking at. Grateful for any thoughts/advice.

• MacOS
  • Intel® Core™ i5 processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 256 GB SSD

You heard correct MacBook Air’s are not a good option for gaming as they do not tend to cope well with the persistent heat generated when gaming as the extra space required for adequate cooling goes directly against the ethos of their design.

On 29/12/2017 at 11:01, private pyle said:

Just  ordered this !! Thanks for the discount count code saved 80 notes 👌

I'm sure I've asked this but will ask again, I have a new gaming laptop but FM18 seems to run so slow on it, 17 was great for processing speed.

I have uninstalled 18 but I want to give it another go, my specs are:

i7 7700HQ 2.8ghz. 1050ti. 8gb ram.

This should surely be enough? Has there been any updates that address the speed of 18 yet?

On 03/01/2018 at 01:01, Barside said:

You heard correct MacBook Air’s are not a good option for gaming as they do not tend to cope well with the persistent heat generated when gaming as the extra space required for adequate cooling goes directly against the ethos of their design.

Thanks mate. Do you think a MacBook Pro would be better and if so, what specs id need?

On 01/01/2018 at 18:57, RedJonnyBoy said:

Hi I have bought this same laptop but struggling with lag anf jumpy 3D match I have updated the drivers no change just wondered what settings you had it in on ? 

For anyone that is interested in getting a new laptop, I would like to highly recommend the lap9top linked below. 

I ordered it three days ago and it came day before last. It is very reasonably priced I can safely say its one the best laptops I have had, I'm running 24 leagues from around 12 countries maybe more, it processes smooth and is surprisingly really quick. The 3D match engine could be better in terms of detain, but again the play is silky smooth. The down point i have is that the battery is around 2 hours tops, but I guess they had to sacrifice something to pack as much power as they did into the laptop for the price. HIGHLY RECOMMEND to anyone on a budget.

20 hours ago, Davmariner said:

Thanks mate. Do you think a MacBook Pro would be better and if so, what specs id need?

Any MBP will be fine although it must be reiterated that if there is no reason that limits you to buying a MacBook then the sensible option is to buy a windows based laptop, you can get equal spec’s for considerably less cost.

6 hours ago, Macetheace said:

Hi I have bought this same laptop but struggling with lag anf jumpy 3D match I have updated the drivers no change just wondered what settings you had it in on ? 

Hi. I have experienced no lag when it comes to processing, with the amount of leagues and nations I have loaded (around 20 leagues from 9 nations). The match engine on 3D is a bit jumpy but I found that was because the game automatically set the graphics detail to high on everything. If you drop a few things down to medium it works fine. You cant expect a laptop priced at £600 to run Football Manager on high detail and much more than the amount of leagues etc I have stated. 

Hi All,

Firstly thank you to everyone who has responded in this thread. I have learnt a lot about laptops in general here!

Could someone please help me however, I have narrowed it down to two laptops, but I am unsure as to which is better, and by how much better (By this I mean, is one so much better it justifies the £250 price difference). If you could please help me how I would be very grateful!

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM970T-ASUS-Gaming-ZX553VD-DM970T_2145528.html

Thank you in advance!

3 hours ago, RedJonnyBoy said:

Hi. I have experienced no lag when it comes to processing, with the amount of leagues and nations I have loaded (around 20 leagues from 9 nations). The match engine on 3D is a bit jumpy but I found that was because the game automatically set the graphics detail to high on everything. If you drop a few things down to medium it works fine. You cant expect a laptop priced at £600 to run Football Manager on high detail and much more than the amount of leagues etc I have stated. 

Ok thanks to be honest only had 5 nations running with 6 leagues and match engine on medium and have had lots of jumping and stuttering very strange I think it is a big problem in the new game 

33 minutes ago, azaw95 said:

hi guys really want a new gaming laptop for football manager, really need in help which is the best one for the game to run quick and smooth on 

any help would be appreciated  thanks 

acer nitro 5 what do we think of that?

On 1/3/2018 at 11:24, private pyle said:

Nice one, let us know how you get on with it

Despite the world record for the longest ever windows 10 update at the start took around 12 hours, Its running really well, really happy with processing speed, i loaded rougley the same amount of leagues as i usually do. well worth it especially on bigger screen.

I would recommend this to anyone

https://ao.com/product/9s71799e5844bun-msi-laptop-black-54318-251.aspx

not only for the laptop which runs exactly how you would want it to run for FM its a i7 HQ (HQ bit important)  larger screen and buying froma trusted seller Like ao, save on laptops a fair few bad reviews for them. I got it on finance with this bonus code so came to just over 700 I pay about 24 a month for it. cant recommend it highly enough it also came next day delivery as well.

Code BDWINDOWS10 will give 10% off thanks to private pyle for the bonus code knocked £80 off the price

1 hour ago, Hoodmatty said:

not only for the laptop which runs exactly how you would want it to run for FM its a i7 HQ (HQ bit important)  larger screen and buying froma trusted seller Like ao, save on laptops a fair few bad reviews for them. I got it on finance with this bonus code so came to just over 700 I pay about 24 a month for it. cant recommend it highly enough it also came next day delivery as well.

Code BDWINDOWS10 will give 10% off thanks to private pyle for the bonus code knocked £80 off the price

CHEERS THANK YOU I'LL GIVE IT A LOOKM

Asking for a friend, his budget is £550, laptop or desktop, be able to play FM18 to a reasonable level, ie match highlights to medium detail, dozen leagues in 3 or 4 countries.  Told him £600 might be the minimum, the save on laptops one mentioned earlier looked good.

35 minutes ago, rooneymagic88 said:

Asking for a friend, his budget is £550, laptop or desktop, be able to play FM18 to a reasonable level, ie match highlights to medium detail, dozen leagues in 3 or 4 countries.  Told him £600 might be the minimum, the save on laptops one mentioned earlier looked good.

People will say no but I had a icore 3 laptop with a u processor was a Acer aspire f15 nothing flash usually loaded English Italian German Spain and France nations ran 12 leagues and it ran okay. Did the job. If he’s got 600 you can get a decent enough msi one which would perform way better than mine Acer. I would tell him to go big and pay monthly for one like I did 😂. Links a few quotes up 

43 minutes ago, azaw95 said:

is there any more recommendations as good as the msi? or is that the best one?

I wasn’t bothered about a name I just searched for what I saw as the best value for money my laptop is literally for fm and Fm only so didn’t need an optical drive. A 700 quid msi will be better than a mac or Hp around same price mark. 

34 minutes ago, Hoodmatty said:

I wasn’t bothered about a name I just searched for what I saw as the best value for money my laptop is literally for fm and Fm only so didn’t need an optical drive. A 700 quid msi will be better than a mac or Hp around same price mark. 

had a problem ordering it they had cancelled my order so i have to wait another few days now before i can re order and get to play on it :(

On 06/01/2018 at 10:02, Hoodmatty said:

Just ordered this. Seems like a cracking laptop, perfect for what I need. Thanks for the heads up :-)

How you finding it?

With my new job, I am always on the road (more so than I am at home, easily 200 days away a year) so naturally, I would like to play some FM while I'm on the road. Unfortunately, due to expenses back home, I can't afford an expensive one. Is it possible for a 200-300$ laptop to run an FM game? If so, is there any recommendation?

Archived