Time for a multiwindow UI

For all the debate about the (aesthetical) changes to the UI we've had in the recent past, I wonder how nobody has brought up the proverbial elephant in the room... The current singlewindow interface has become insufficient and inconvenient in a game that has literally hundreds of screens, most of them still require a degree of interaction and integration with many others.
Sure, we have the right-click and the "i" tooltip, but it's still too little if you actually start to notice how many times you have to navigate back and forth to check apparently basic informations like your coaches training stars and the staff search menu, etc...

Again, I understand creating some sort of "Windows for FM" wouldn't be an easy task, but we're still more or less dealing with a UI originated 20+ years ago, when the game had probably no more than 20 important screens.
The game has evolved so much it's almost impossible not to "waste" hours going from one screen to the next one to accomplish tasks that a multiwindow interface could allow us to do in the blink of an eye. We're so used to all that meandering around menus we don't really see it as a problem, but indeed it is, and it's time consuming as hell in a game that is already very demanding.

Is there hope for a radical overhaul, or is it another matter of stuff being so deeply ingrained into the game's structure (and code) it's impossible to change them without rewriting half of the game itself?

It's hardly a new idea.  Hasn't been brought up for a little while, but I remember it being mentioned a fair bit a while back.  

Like a lot of features, it'd have its good points, but it'd also have its issues.  Larger resolutions or multiple monitors would probably see some benefits, but you'd then have to either accept a poorer experience for low resolutions (which are now more popular thanks to higher powered mini laptops etc) or block parts off.  They'll likely far higher have a more homogeneous solution across all versions rather than a glorified if-this-then-that.

Some kind of halfway house might work.  Keep the single screen flow for the most part, but let you have certain things split.  There's a lot you can do from a UX perspective without going full windows.

1 hour ago, westy8chimp said:

Have to cater for a lot of screen resolutions, operating systems etc. 

Objectively i agree with you, it is a more modern approach. 

Subjectively....id hate it. Cant stand having loads of windows or tabs open in any application/s

This. I agree with the principle of multi screen, but however I wouldn't like it personally. I get uncomfortable if I have more than 5-6 tabs open... One at my work have around 1000 tabs open and I can't even look at his screen...

In game it would be brilliant. One screen for stats/analysis and one screen for the pitch. It would make things so much easier than having to open and close tabs with all the tactics, match stats etc.

Obviously, it is down to whether you have multiple screens. But there's no harm in having it as an option in the preferences. Just like 2D vs 3D. Having both wouldn't be the end of the world.

5 hours ago, XaW said:

This. I agree with the principle of multi screen, but however I wouldn't like it personally. I get uncomfortable if I have more than 5-6 tabs open... One at my work have around 1000 tabs open and I can't even look at his screen...

Yeh im training someone who persists in keeping open hundreds of tabs in many simultaneous applications... Might have internet explorer open as well as microsoft excel and our ERP system... And in each one have 10+ tabs. I tell him i wont help until he only has one window open per monitor. 

I don't see how multiwindow equals multiscreen...

Tabs or smaller pop-up windows don't require a setup worth of a TV production room... And actually they can also help those with smaller screens or low resolutions (or those who, like me, play windowed AND zoomed in).

The ability to open a tab or a popup can allow the main screens to be LESS cluttered by info you can call up with ONE click, instead of having it all crammed into 12 panels or tucked behind several clicks and screens.

Also, not everything has to be open all the time but when, say, you're searching for a player or looking at a scouting report, you may want to have another tab/popup open for comparison's sake, instead of going all the way back to the other menu to check things up.
Basically a more refined and complete version of the "i" tooltip, currently available for players and staff attributes only.

Can't honestly say I have any idea over how difficult or what would be required to introduce something like this but yes, I would like to be able to use tabs or multiple windows.

This version seemed  to introduce more mouse-clicks - might just be my perception, but especially when researching players - trying to compare against others etc. Also the in-match clicks to make changes. ASIDE: Why does the match Pause when you change OIs in-match, but not when you change tactics?

Looking at the current UI, take the Home screen, multiple panels, customisable. How about having an option of a 'split' down the center. So Left and Right, each one customisable as it is currently but independantly. This gives me the option of 'stretching' the view across a dual-monitor display set-up if in windowed mode, without losing information in the middle. So still all contained withing one 'window' but able to utilise a dual monitor set-up?

Even if using single monitor, it would allow managers to view two players/staff members side-by-side for example. 

As long as the current/original UI design is available, the option to use two monitors, or multiple windows or tabs would be a great addition for me.

Its not just the mouse clicks its also the illogical position of buttons to click for example when looking at scout reports of players the button to remove/ignore the player jumps around the screen for different players.....it should remain in the same spot for consistency reasons...else you are in danger of clicking on a different action by mistake. I'm sure its simple to do.

The complexity of the screens now makes it less friendly for laptop users on smaller screens. I never use a laptop now, just my home 28" monitor...maybe I need a bigger one :)

50 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

Its not just the mouse clicks its also the illogical position of buttons to click for example when looking at scout reports of players the button to remove/ignore the player jumps around the screen for different players.....it should remain in the same spot for consistency reasons...else you are in danger of clicking on a different action by mistake. I'm sure its simple to do.

The complexity of the screens now makes it less friendly for laptop users on smaller screens. I never use a laptop now, just my home 28" monitor...maybe I need a bigger one :)

I am one of those Lappy players - and yes, bigger screen would be useful, I don't see the 'recent stats' under my tactic pitch for example, unless I plug in to a bigger monitor, which isn't possible when sitting in MacD's waiting for daughter to finish underwater hockey training unless I hack in to the menu screens they have - now there's a thought!

Definitely agree with the scouting cards and buttons.

Archived