[FM18] - Downham Market

argento

Its been a while since I've posted anything in here so figured its about time I returned.  

Downham Market are a local side to me and are currently rocking the Eastern Counties Division 1, predicted a meagre 18th place by the media according to FM I figured it was worth a try.  I've not played this game down to the amateurs yet so looking forward to getting into some level 10 shenanigans.  I have no staff and no players so I had to get straight to work

A lot of players weren't interested in playing at Memorial Field for free and I don't blame them but I have pulled together a rag tag group and hopefully we can push on and get out of this league at first opportunity.  No play offs just top 3 go straight up, simples.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ToMexico!! said:

Another fellow Downham resident this is weird....:eek:

Good luck with this, will be follow for sure :thup:

Aye very unusual!! Following (I actually coached the above team for a few months in 2015-16)

33 minutes ago, ToMexico!! said:

Another fellow Downham resident this is weird....:eek:

Good luck with this, will be follow for sure :thup:

27 minutes ago, smp20 said:

Aye very unusual!! Following (I actually coached the above team for a few months in 2015-16)

Well I'm from near there but there one of the lowest ranked sides from my way and I have more of an affinity for them than Swaffham.

Strong start here with three wins in the FA Cup which netted us not only decent gates due to increased attendance and some a little bit of cash in prize money.  Squeezed through the League Cup just on penalties

A couple of big wins in the league with Sedjic running the show early doors, we were brought back down to earth though throwing away a lead away to Woodbridge.  We are sitting mid table in the league but we already have a few games in hand due to the cup run.

Huge game coming up in FA Cup against non league giants Tamworth, our cup run has given us some decent profit already which will hopefully set us in stead for when we go up and eventually turn semi pro.

In other news the club have gotten a bit carried away with our early form by adding our strikers to the favoured personnel

Downham sure seems like the place to (have) be(en).

I also have no idea where it is, but I did manage your cup opponent Tamworth once, so I feel like I'm practically related to all of you.

1 hour ago, dllu said:

Downham sure seems like the place to (have) be(en).

I also have no idea where it is, but I did manage your cup opponent Tamworth once, so I feel like I'm practically related to all of you.

Its in good old Norfolk about 40mins from Cambridge. 

Contrary to popular belief we in Norfolk are not all related..... i hope :D

25 minutes ago, ToMexico!! said:

Contrary to popular belief we in Norfolk are not all related..... i hope :D

Please don't crush my dream of being adopted by Stephen Fry! :D 

September/October 2018

Apart from our narrow loss to big boys Tamworth we have been on fire.  Goals, goals, goals.  We have risen to the top of the table but the side is shattered we have injuries mounting and suspensions.

Mirza Sedjic has been the man of the moment scoring for fun with 39 goals by October you'd think surely a semi pro side will offer him a deal soon.

November/December 2018

We had a couple of losses but we soon regained our mojo and soon enough a few big wins followed, 3 up top long ball is the way forward at this level.  Into the 4th round of the FA Vase is huge for us but there's not much prize money and it doesn't attract the big crowds like the FA Cup still it should see us make a bit of profit which can only help for the inevitable move to semi pro.

We have opened up a gap at the top and 12 point cushion to 4th so we are in good stead for promotion

Not all good news as we have lost our defensive pairing, Strand Nilsen will definitely be missed.  At least Sedjic turned down a couple of offers from level 8 as he now has 58 goals in all competitions.  He has a broken rib though so he is out for the next 6-8 weeks so that should keep any potential suitors away for the time being

January/February 2018

Our great season continues as promotion is nailed on now we only need one more win and we are sorted, With Sedjic being injured Ben Hunt took the central striker role in the front three with 14 goals in the last 6 games.  Still on for a non league treble as we make the final four of the FA Vase and the League Cup.

Youth intake has arrived and this guy is the greatest guy of his generation for the club, high hopes, especially considering someone just stole our left back

End Of Season Report

Comfortably went up as Champions with an insane goal difference, Hunt bagged 38 and Sedjic got 42 goals despite spending 3 months out with injuries.  Not quite sure why Woodbridge went up, I thought it was because they were all reserve teams but then Braintree Reserves finished 2nd and went up???

After the season he had Sedjic cleaned up at the awards ceremony winning Young Player of the Year, Player of the year, Golden Boot and players player of the year.  Our keeper also won the golden glove.

9 players in team of the season as well, wow

My first award as well.

Next up to end the season is a trip to Roots Hall as we head to Southend for the Eastern Counties League Cup Final

On 16/08/2018 at 21:52, Nobby_McDonald said:

Very well done Argento.

On 17/08/2018 at 12:10, deltablue said:

Great work in the league.

Cheers guys

Now it was time to end the season in style 

It took extra time but we done it!  Absolute scenes at Roots Hall

With the season over the board decided to use the money we made on our cup runs to install some seats, not sure how the ultras will feel about that.  Would rather have kept the money so when we eventually turn semi pro could get a decent wage budget

In another great piece of financial wisdom we get promoted and increased our profile and our new sponsorship deal is less than before...

So we are one of the favourites to go up again alongside Braintree who came up with us.  However as they are a reserve side I don't think they can do any higher

Half of our youth prospects have abandoned ship but they weren't anywhere near the first team so not too worried.  Signed a few defenders to strengthen the backline, I'm quite confident our strikers will be good enough at this level still.

August/September 2018

A strong start to the season with us progressing through all 3 cup competitions and thanks to some favourable FA Cup draws we have gotten even further this year making the 3rd round of qualifying so the bank balance is looking flush.  Lee O'Leary is a midfielder I signed at the bank end of last season making 10 league appearances but just the one goal, this season so far has banged in 8 goals in all competitions not bad from central midfielder.

Sitting third with plenty of games in hand, Titus Bramble now player/coach of Stowmarket have started well however our old pals from The Eastern Counties League Cup final Coggeshall lead the way.

October 2018

Another big month where we remained undefeated and remained in all 3 cups so far even the FA Cup where we have made the first round proper.  Scenes in Downham Market as we were drawn out with League One giants Scunthorpe who are playing at 6 levels higher.

With the tie pitting an amateur side up against a professional side will make compelling viewing and thankfully this has netted us another £75,000

Wow did this game have it all, when we regained the lead in the 87th minute I thought we had done the unthinkable but they equalised in the 96th minute pure heartbreak.  Financially a replay is probably a better result as we will get half of the gate of the return leg.

Spoiler alert: We lost the replay 4-0 but made £100,000 this month.  Could've been worse and my reputation has increased as I got my first job interview offer from a decent level as Dagenham Redbridge in the Conference.  No chance of me leaving yet though

On 20/08/2018 at 22:48, Nobby_McDonald said:

Nice run in the FA Cup.

Re: the stadium expansion - you could have spent the money and got promotion or not spend the money and stayed in the division you were in. The message you had stated it was to meet league requirements.

Yeah I missed that part and looking now at the other stadiums in the league they all had a section for seating so I guess that was the requirement!!

Next update tomorrow

November/December 2018

We got all the way to the 1st round of the FA Cup!  Scunthorpe away was a good pay day and we have close to £250,000 in the bank now ans we are still in the other two cups.  The FA Vase is the one I want this year having gone out in the semi finals last year.  

We've lost only once in the league away to Histon and we got a last ditch goal against Coggeshall to win 5-4 to close the gap at the top.  Histon like us have games in hand on Coggeshall so I expect them to be our biggest threat.  With only the league leaders going up we can't afford to slip up.

Only lost one player lately Brad Smith a centre back who I signed last season and has joined Eastbourne, disappointing to lose him but as long as we keep scoring we will be fine. Lewis Troke, Ben Hunt and Mira Sedjic all have over 35 goals each in all competitions so far.

On 24/08/2018 at 18:42, DamianJMcGrath said:

What tactic are you using? Please don't say its the 3 striker exploit or any downloaded one! 

You've made your point in the other thread, please dont infect this one with your toxicity.

Even if they chose to play using a downloaded tactic, it's their prerogative.

January/February 2019

With Ben Hunt out injured Lewis Troke has taken central stage last few months, apart from a couple of blips in the league its been a strong start to 2019 as we put some daylight between us and 2nd.  With just 9 games left I fancy us to go up again.  

16 hours ago, Dev'o said:

You've made your point in the other thread, please dont infect this one with your toxicity.

Even if they chose to play using a downloaded tactic, it's their prerogative.

The feedback I got was I should ask, and then I'd know. I'm not criticising, I'm asking. That's all. 

5 hours ago, DamianJMcGrath said:

The feedback I got was I should ask, and then I'd know. I'm not criticising, I'm asking. That's all. 

No. It's true you asked and there was nothing wrong with that in itself, but then you added that extra unnecessary line which made your post a lot more of an aggressive challenge of 'I'd better like the answer!'

2 hours ago, deltablue said:

No. It's true you asked and there was nothing wrong with that in itself, but then you added that extra unnecessary line which made your post a lot more of an aggressive challenge of 'I'd better like the answer!'

I'm not sure you can put words in my mouth, I'm afraid. I'm enjoying the thread so I hoped the answer was to my preference. There's nothing wrong in wishing for that. 

Let's get back on topic now I reckon. I wasn't expecting a big challenge to my question

March 2019

Was a mixed bag of a month, we crashed out in the semi finals of the League Cup on penalties, disappointed we cant retain our trophy.  Coggeshall our old rivals beat us in the league but we bounced back with a huge win in the FA Vase and although we lost the return leg we made it to the final and we get our first Wembley appearance and it will be our old friends Coggeshall.

We had our youth intake and we got one player who looks like he could be fairly handy

Little Michael Essien Jnr hopefully might bring in some fanfare, he's a determined player hopefully that'll help him push on

April/May 2019

Injuries began to pile up and where I hadn't replaced some of the defenders that left we struggled a bit with 15 year old Danny Davis coming in for the last 6 games. The league was wrapped up a while ago so I wasn't too worried.  Feel a bit ad for Coggeshall getting 100+ points and not getting promoted would be a hard pill to swallow

Troke cleaned up in the awards winning player of the year and the golden boot below

Wembley? Completed it.  We got a full house of 800 for Scunthorpe at home but only 760 fancied Wembley, I can'y even imagine how the stadium would feel with that few people in it!  Still we won and it is the icing on the cake.

Promotion sealed as we enter the Isthmian Division 1 North.  With all the money we've made off cup runs the board have decided to throw it all away on a new stadium with grants and sponsorship it has only left us 100k in the red but not ideal.  It is only an increase in 500 

As it will take 2 years to build this fine piece of architecture we will be playing our football in London which apparently isn't used by any other side has a 3,000 capacity and only costs £500 a year to rent, why can't we just stay here?  I'm guessing the reason why we are in London rather than sharing at one of the many Norfolk stadiums in the game it thinks we are in Bromley.

In other news we can now offer contracts as now we are in debt so lets get in more debt, hopefully will give us a bit more credibility and help us snag some reinforcements

Finally 40 goal hero Lewis Troke has left to join new divisional rivals Grays Athletic which isn't an ideal start.  We have Hunt and Sedjic so it could be worse, we need centre backs the most so that will be my priority

In my experience, getting out of the county leagues is usually a lot harder than staying up in the regional leagues (what with only the winners going up). So I fully expect you to live up to the bookmakers' expectations. :D 

2 hours ago, Lenzar said:

Why are Downham moving to a stadium in London? That seems a long journey.

Think it's an error where the game thinks its near Bromley, might have been an error when they were added.

3 hours ago, dllu said:

In my experience, getting out of the county leagues is usually a lot harder than staying up in the regional leagues (what with only the winners going up). So I fully expect you to live up to the bookmakers' expectations. :D 

I was surprised we went up first shot considering how strong Coggeshall and Histon were. Still looks like we are against some bigger budget sides in this league so we shall see how we do.

Was hoping we were only one league away from local rivals King's Lynn but they went up via the play offs so are now in the Conference North.  Everyone's favourite non league singing side Billericay have had back to back promotions and are now favourites to win the Conference.

Happy enough with those aims and hopefully we can get a good run in at least one cup to boost revenue since we are in debt and now we are paying wages it's only going to get worse, all for a stadium that hold an extra 500 people that we don't get anyway.  We sold 31 season tickets.  I am blaming that on the long drive to London

Troke was a big loss he scored 68 in 69 last season and leaves after playing 123 times and scoring 104 goals in all competitions and leaves a "club legend".  Danny Davis was our promising player from youth intake and he decided to split and head to Haverhill who are still in the Eastern Counties Division 1.

Most of the players are signed as squad players there was a few games towards the back end of the season we were unable to fill the bench and we were left with only one recognised centre back.  Of all the players signed the top 3 who will most likely start are these boys

Released by Northampton after failing to make the grade, reckon he will do a job

Big Reuben, expect him to chip in a fair few from set pieces with that height and jumping reach, released by AFC Wimbledon

Replacement for Troke he comes highly recommended however I hope he performs better for us than he did for Spalding in the Northern Premier League where he scored 1 in 41.  Surely he can only improve?

August/September 2019

Another strong start to the season with a huge win in the FA Cup, sadly our run this year wasn't as high profile and we crashed out 2-1 at home to an average Bridport side. We reach the 3rd round of League Cup to keep the board happy and we are yet to begin the FA Trophy. 

The league has been a walk in the park, shocked how easy it has been to be fair

Right back had been the weak point in our back line for a while now but snapped up this talented Dutch kid he was on an amateur contract in United Counties Prem, easily worth £80 a week for this level.

October/November 2019

It has been a long few months playing a mammoth 18 games, it took its toll on us as we had a few injuries and suspensions during the period and we don't have much depth so it can cause us problems like in the Thurrock and Grays game, the Grays game was gutting as club legend Lewis Troke came back to haunt us scoring a brace against us (don't worry he didn't celebrate). 

After our early exit in the FA Cup we have managed to get to the first round of the FA Trophy that has netted us some much needed cash in prize money to reduce our debt to 75,000.  We are away to Fylde next though who are professional and top the conference so it is going to be a very tough game.  There isn't much interest in the League Cup as prize money is very low and it doesn't attract a gate, we have often gotten 200 in for the FA Trophy games though!

Wroxham have been performing exceptionally in the league and have pulled away from us but we do have two games in hand.

December 2019 - January 2020

Dropped a fair few points last few months with our inability to see games out, drawing three games in a row was pretty frustrating.  We crashed out of the FA Trophy home to Guiseley which was a fair result but they only went and drew King's Lynn in the 3rd round that would of been a heck of a cup game. We are in the last 8 of the league cup to so still chance of some silverware.

Our latest signing, felt we were good going forward in the middle but O'Leary our main ball winning midfielder is 34 and his pace is dropping quickly, hopefully he will help our defence out, we are really missing Needle in the sticks but I haven't managed to find a great replacement yet. Had some of the amateur contract boys from the earlier days split now they aren't playing regularly and I don't blame them.  

Finally here's the league table as it stands now

Still very tight between us and Wroxham but we have a bit of a cushion between us and Bury so i'm still pretty confident we can go up this season

10 hours ago, kidthekid said:

really swift progress up the tiers

To be fair at this level the difference between the tiers is minimal, I imagine once I get a bit higher it will become more noticeable.

Had a few Championship clubs sniffing round Charlie McConnachie which I found a bit odd as he hasn't set the world alight since his release from Villa.  He was worth £625 and I asked for £5,000 and they baulked, had three clubs interested but they all refused to pay anything for him, eventually I just signed him to a longer contract and the interest disappeared.

Nex update will be shortly as we are getting towards the end of the third season

February-March 2018

Had a few mixed showings lately huge 6 goal performances against some of the better sides pushing for play offs in Enfield and Thurrock but a couple of losses as well.  Leiston to be fair turned us and Wroxham over in successive games.  Title race looks three way shoot out now as Bury brought themselves into it.

Huge game next for us as we are home to Wroxham

End Of Season 2020

Andy Gooding scoring his most crucial goal for us in the last 3 years with a last gasp winner against Wroxham, Bury then lost their game giving me a 5 point lead with four games to go. Cheshunt held us to a draw in the penultimate game so we had a three point lead going into the last game, we also had a vastly superior goal difference the league was already won but we wanted to win in style and we wrapped it up in a fairly local (non-Bromley) affair.

Screenshot doesn't show it, but there was more disappointment for Wroxham as they lost to Bury in the play off final, must be gutting to finish on 96 points and not go up.  

Mirza bagged player of the year and golden boot, another phenomenal season from him

Signing of the season for me, can definitely play at a higher level and hopefully he will help us get there, managed to resign him and most of the key players for another season.

Good that we turned a profit again but we are still over 80,000 in debt thanks to the new stadium that is still a year away from completion so it means another year in Bromley.  Could do with another cup run, gaining promotion means we enter the FA Cup qualifiers at a later stage so be less chances to pull a decent gate.

Very soft brexit not that it will affect me for at least a few more years yet

Fairly confident of hitting these targets also pleased with that wage bill as it should give us some scope for improving the side.

First in big Jon Parkin at 38 on a years deal hopefully he will clear up at this level.

Gooding the hero of the Wroxham game, strange announcement since he's still on an amateur contract let alone semi professional.  But happy retirement

As well as big Jon Parkin the following players have also arrived

Experienced centre half spent last few years with Brackley in the Conference North

Our new number 1, Cadle makes the short switch from Norwich to Downham after beimg released.

Cadle's rival is ex-West Ham and Norweigan U'19 keeper Evensen.  Could well become our number 1

Also rejoining is former centre half Brad Smith on a non contract pay as you play deal, probably not good enough now to play week in week out but if injuries pile up he could prove useful.

Our old friends Coggeshall finally won the Eastern Counties Prem and now they join the Isthmian ranks we get to renew our rivalry in the League Cup

Expected mid-table I would be happy with that

As you can see we have had a rough start to the season with injuries already mounting up

Archived