Third Place Playoff: Belgium v England (1500BST)

Rob1981

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Ferdinand was out with a knee injury tbf but I don't think many players from the current squad would have made the 2010 squad.

Based on the actual performances in 2010 though, I'm not sure that side gets through against Colombia or Sweden, never mind Croatia. The luck argument goes either way: England looked more in control for the first hour this tournament against a Croatia side that's actually good than they did against Algeria or the USA, but one goal from a rare chance from a deep cross and suddenly Croatia are all over them.

You also had Baines and Carrick, also Hart when he was also considered by many to be world class. As you said though, hard to see many, if any, of this England side making the team from 2010.

This was one of the worst sides I have seen, they got to the semi final but even the most blindsided fan must admit they never played well, they beat the poor sides and struggled against the other sides.

Southgate shouldn't be the manager, no way, he has no idea how to change things, also why name Kane captain? Stupid decision, if there is one England player that is out for himself then it is Kane.

Out of the players in the team it has to be Henderson, if a manager can't even see that then you know you have problems. 

3 hours ago, Anthrax Dave said:

Just hope that some of our U20/U17 team get some games at club level this season.

Also hope that Phil ****ing Jones never gets near an England shirt again.

Said at the time he called up the wrong Manchester United defender :mad:

1 hour ago, daylight said:

You also had Baines and Carrick, also Hart when he was also considered by many to be world class. As you said though, hard to see many, if any, of this England side making the team from 2010.

This was one of the worst sides I have seen, they got to the semi final but even the most blindsided fan must admit they never played well, they beat the poor sides and struggled against the other sides.

Southgate shouldn't be the manager, no way, he has no idea how to change things, also why name Kane captain? Stupid decision, if there is one England player that is out for himself then it is Kane.

Out of the players in the team it has to be Henderson, if a manager can't even see that then you know you have problems. 

I don't think anyone thought Hart was world class back then when he wasn't even City first choice, and the other players you named didn't play either (which may or may not have been your point?)

And if you think England was one of the worst sides you've ever seen, I can only assume you have purged your memory of the entire history of Scottish football (understandable) as well as the England 2010 side that despite its paper strength couldn't score against an Algerian side worse than all the sides England beat this time round bar maybe Panama and was hilariously incompetent defending against Germany. Or for that matter our last tournament team. Nobody cares who the captain is except the media who like the big names, and Henderson was only 50/50 to start ahead of Dier at the time the decision was made.

2 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

And if you think England was one of the worst sides you've ever seen, I can only assume you have purged your memory of the entire history of Scottish football (understandable)

I of course meant the worst England side I have seen, not the worst side ever, at least you got a Scotland joke in there though eh?

3 minutes ago, scott MUFC said:

worse England side? they made the semis, some havn't qualified

Timing. I can only go back to the early 80s, I honestly can't remember an England team that played poorer, getting further doesn't mean they played better than previous sides.

Can just about understand how people could conclude that, say, the 98 team was actually better to watch, but it takes a lot of imagination to conclude that a side whose best result was a goalless draw against Costa Rica (which was like, literally the last World Cup) played better than this one which reached the semi final.

I think one of our best major tournament performances (at least what I can remember in my lifetime) was the 1-0 over Argentina in 2002. Huge game against a quality side and we controlled it.

Also Euro 2004 before Rooney got injured we looked very exciting. He was a beast at that stage.

Oh come on. Just because this squad - player for player - aren't as good as previous World Cup squads, doesn't mean they were better teams. That 2010 had Upson & Heskey starting FFS, and Capello somehow managed to fit in Stephen Warnock and Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Sure this 2018 side exceeded expectations. As much I love Lingard, he would get nowhere near the 2002 or 2006 squad, and he's a key player. But just take a look at the 2006 run. They barely scraped it against Paraguay and Trinidad, drew against Sweden, only 1-0 against Ecuador, and a quarter-final loss to Portugal. This 2018 team battered Panama and were unlucky to not score more against Tunisia. Kept composure vs Colombia in the shootout, cruised against giant-killing Sweden, and generally on top against Croatia in the first half at least. Not gonna count the two dead rubbers vs Belgium. I wouldn't expect squads of 2006/10/14 to have the mentality of having a run to the semis like this.

Southgate isn't perfect, and there's a bunch of things to criticize him for this World Cup. We all know he could've done better, but history suggests that managers of higher caliber and experience have done awfully worse. Credit where credit is due, he got an underwhelming star-deprived England his predecessors couldn't do with better tools at his disposal. Capello, Eriksson, and Hodgson would've chosen Hart to start, Cahill-Smalling in defense, Wilshere in midfield, and possible still have Rooney somewhere in the squad. McClaren wouldn't even get this World Cup.

I hope RLC gets a decent run out for Chelsea, he actually carried the ball for us, seems like a lost art!

It's great getting to a semi but the work is really beginning, we still have some of our old issues. Lack of movement from front players wasn't inspiring, this is another example of lack of responsibility on the ball, it's easier to hide than show for the ball or run off the ball. Too many times someone has the ball in the final third and there's just no options and no movement.

This has been part of the reason for our 'knock it back and across and maybe back to keeper', no one wants it, no one will take it forward. For heavens sake, someone in the final third try to go past their man too!

did Gary Neville actually say that Phil Jones could be as good as Gerard Pique in the pundit bit at the end of this? :lol:

never watched the pundit bit but it's quite concidental that England looked much worse when Jones came into the defence, culiminating in the mistake for Hazard's goal.  Not saying Pique is the world's best defender but surely Neville was on something when he said that

Archived