Third Place Playoff: Belgium v England (1500BST)

Rob1981

Belgium v England

Kane looking to cement the golden boot if he starts.  Lukaku two goals behind him with half a chance to win the golden boot if he doesn't.

A Belgium win would be their best WC performance ever, if you are prepared to celebrate 3rd place as a distinct achievement that is better than just a semi final exit.  I am personally not.

Yeah, it's pointless.

Enjoy.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With nothing left to lose, both teams will go for it, so I expect plenty of goals... and probably Belgium to edge it by the odd one in five.

I also predict that Kane and Lukaku will both score today. Hopefully Sterling will as well, just to shut the Mail up.

Quick reminder of the Golden Boot rules if Kane and Lukaku end up tied:

If there is more than one player with the same number of goals, since 1994 the tie-breaker goes to the player without a penalty goal, if none has a penalty then the tie breaker goes to the person with more Assists - with the FIFA Technical Study Group deciding whether an assist is to be counted as such.  If there is still more than one player, the tie-breaker since 2006 goes to the player who has played the least amount of time.

Currently Kane has six goals with three penalties, Lukaku has four goals but no penalties.  So if they end up on six goals each Lukaku would win.  Assists would only come into play if they were tied on goals AND penalties which could only happen if Lukaku scored at least three penalties today. 

And all that said, still just about possible for one of the French or Croatian lads to catch them both up tomorrow.

Remember being at cub camp for the third place playoff in Italia 90 :D Watched about ten minutes and then we all went outside to play football and all the adults were trying to get us back inside to watch it because it was England and even back then we all knew it was pointless.

22 minutes ago, av3ry said:

The last time we were involved in the bronze medal match.

Great call on that first goal :lol:

Shilts with the obligatory once-per-tournament English goalkeeping brainfart there.

Today is obviously Pickford's turn.

1 minute ago, grff said:

0-1.

So we'll play Colombia if it stays like this right?

Don't ask me how, but losing this match might give us a better chance of having an easier qualifying group for Qatar 2022. :p

My housemate looked extremely irritated when I got him to turn the tennis off to put this on, my reasoning being that we shouldn’t miss an England World Cup match.

I am already regretting my decision but am too proud to admit my mistake to my housemate.

Wo oh oh 

We're all here in russia

Wo oh oh

We are getting battered 

Wo oh oh

England's going home in 4th place

1 2 3 4

Wo oh oh 

We're all here in russia

Wo oh oh

We are getting battered 

Wo oh oh

1 2 3 4

Wo oh oh 

We're all here in russia

Wo oh oh

We are getting battered 

Wo oh oh

Just now, TioPatinhax said:

looking forward to another meltdown of the english supporters after another defeat :)

I don't think any of us care enough to reach anywhere near meltdown levels.

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Tenth different scorer for Belgium this World Cup, equals the beautifully obscure record of most different goalscorers from one team.

2 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

Who had the record before?

France 1982 and Italy 2006 squads both had ten different scorers. Belgium’s ten scorers this year includes an opposition OG actually. Disappointing.

Just now, CFuller said:

Love Train is going to enter the footballing vernacular, isn't it?

What is the "Love Train"?

Seen it mentioned many times on this forum, but I don't really know what it is refering to :D 

Just now, Rob1981 said:

France 1982 and Italy 2006 squads both had ten different scorers. Belgium’s ten scorers this year includes an opposition OG actually. Disappointing.

OG shouln't count for this record :D 

Just now, Orzelek said:

What is the "Love Train"?

Seen it mentioned many times on this forum, but I don't really know what it is refering to :D 

Glenn Hoddle coined it to describe England's corner routine.

Personally, I think it makes as much sense as having Glenn Hoddle in the commentary box.

Archived