Adrien Rabot refuses to be on world cup standby list for France

decapitated

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44229676

France midfielder Adrien Rabiot has refused to be named on the national team's standby list for the World Cup.

The 23-year-old Paris St-Germain player was not in the final 23-man squad but among the 11 reserve players.

Reports in France say Rabiot, capped six times, had emailed coach Didier Deschamps saying he would not "be able to follow the training programme".

Noel le Graet, president of the France Football Federation, said Rabiot's reaction "was very surprising".

He added in a statement: "Rabiot is a high-quality player and an endearing boy who has always behaved well in national selections where he has evolved.

"His disappointment does not allow him to give up and not to serve the France team. To be part of the collective of France, to be among the best French players, is a chance and a privilege in the career of a player.

"He made a bad decision. He penalises himself and sanctions himself alone."

Rabiot made 45 appearances in all competitions for PSG in 2017-18, winning a domestic treble.

France are in World Cup Group C alongside Australia, Peru and Denmark.

Analysis

BBC World Service Sport's John Bennett

Adrien Rabiot is a huge talent but PSG supporters will tell you that his form fell off a cliff after they were knocked out of the Champions League by Real Madrid in early March.

And as Didier Deschamps has pointed out, he has also rarely performed at his highest level in a France shirt. So although you can understand his disappointment, you can also see why Deschamps decided to leave him out of the 23 when he has so much talent to choose from.

With all that in mind, refusing to be on the standby list will only do further damage to his reputation in France, where he has already - fairly or unfairly - developed an image as a player with a big ego and a sense of entitlement.

France fans may take a long time to forgive Rabiot for this.

Not a sensible career move really.

Crouch did the same a few years back when he was asked to be on the reserve list. I can see the reasoning behind saying no, because its not really a great feeling in any walk of life to be told you'll be used if something goes wrong with the first choice. The fact its come out so publicly also means the French side has just been happy to throw him under a bus for some positive reaction. Not exactly all that endearing to you yourself if you're a player is it?

After a season of high intensity training I think I'd want a proper holiday and some months off.  Not faffing around with training on the off chance I might be called up. 

Don't blame him at all.  But he does seem to be a bit of a nob. 

And 11 reserves is indeed ridiculous. 

FIFA set's the limit don't they? Between 30 and 35 players have to be named about a month before the tournament begins.

If you can only name a final squad from your provisional 'pool' of players then it makes sense to pick as many as you can. At least then you can try and make a like for like replacement if anyone drops out. Sucks for the players to be training without much hope of going but you can hardly blame the national teams for using up what they are allowed, especially if replacements are limited to that pool of players.

1 hour ago, Bliss Seeker said:

After a season of high intensity training I think I'd want a proper holiday and some months off.  Not faffing around with training on the off chance I might be called up. 

Don't blame him at all.  But he does seem to be a bit of a nob. 

And 11 reserves is indeed ridiculous. 

I agree the season is long and playing for PSG must be a demanding thing, but there are PLENTY of others around the world who'd kill to be in the position he's in, plus they get a winter break in France. 

Huge diva in my eyes, this is a World Cup for god sake!!!

• Administrators

In fairness can see that being one of eleven reserves and having to forsake a holiday to keep training etc could be a pain. Especially given even if they do get called up would be extremely unlikely to get game time and would just be sat around for ages. 

But yeah, as above a bit toys out of pram. And could have been handled behind closed doors a bit better for both the perception of the player and national team. 

France have a common trend of going into national tournaments with storm clouds around so just what they needed :thup: 

Archived