Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

Personally, it's monthly all the way. I find the seasonal updates incredibly boring and vague, anyone who thinks monthly updates are verging on a story must never have read a story or has the imagination/attention span of a child. That said, I like Terk's update, which is every half season.

PS: I don't agree that you need to type up what you have recently played or else you'll forget. It's very easy to save you game under various titles, every 4 months or so and then look back through matches or save screenshots, the screenies provide more info for fans of the thread and should jog your memory about interesting events that have taken place.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its a bit strange as i decide to go monthly then get a bit disconnected from the game as im trying to just keep playing, then i spot somthing that i like monthly and wonder if i can do that instead as id be easily able to do the monthly updates where its just one line about the game end of match report, but they could be a bit too vague, im just not sure which way to go with mine,

i agree that none of the monthly update ive read are ANYTHING like a story,

its just im struggling to get a style im happy with,

Save a screenshot of each match, with scorers and team form, that way it's not too vague and you can talk briefly about who played well and who the goalscorers were. It's as simple as pressing Alt + F9 at the end of every match and you can carry on playing as normal, it doesn't disrupt your game.

ideally id like to do a start of season (after friendlies + signings) update, a jan one, and an end of season one, but its trying to figure out how to do so it original and my own way, if you know what i mean, then there are regular updates, spaced far enough apart not for me to feel its impeeding my game, and anyone reading gets a decent review at how its going.

my other option would be these on a match by match basis:

CROOK TOWN 2

WHITLEY BAY 0

Millfield

Tuesday, August 15th 2010

Kick off 7.45pm

Attendence: 132

MATCH SUMMARY

Crook town began their Norther league division one campaign with a comfortable home win over promotion candidates Whitley bay,

GOAL SCORERS

CROOK TOWN: Him, The other Guy

WHITLEY BAY: None

As i could fill 90% of it out in advance and just grab the games as i play them fill them in and save them for the Monthly update, its just trying to get enough info in the match summary, when im not really a very good writer :(

if i decide which one to go with would a mod close my thread(When i ask! NOT YET!) and ill create a new thread and re do season 1 + season 2 in the same format and just stick to that format?

Personally, I like to spend my free time playing the game instead of writing up match reports.

Perhaps the lack of responses in my thread means the long seasonal updates is the wrong way to go. But it's the way I've always done it, and the way I'll probably keep going. I'm more likely to cur further down than to write even more tbh.

ideally id like to do a start of season (after friendlies + signings) update, a jan one, and an end of season one, but its trying to figure out how to do so it original and my own way, if you know what i mean, then there are regular updates, spaced far enough apart not for me to feel its impeeding my game, and anyone reading gets a decent review at how its going.

This is how I do mine and how I prefer to read updates.

my other option would be these on a match by match basis:

CROOK TOWN 2

WHITLEY BAY 0

Millfield

Tuesday, August 15th 2010

Kick off 7.45pm

Attendence: 132

MATCH SUMMARY

Crook town began their Norther league division one campaign with a comfortable home win over promotion candidates Whitley bay,

GOAL SCORERS

CROOK TOWN: Him, The other Guy

WHITLEY BAY: None

As i could fill 90% of it out in advance and just grab the games as i play them fill them in and save them for the Monthly update, its just trying to get enough info in the match summary, when im not really a very good writer :(

if i decide which one to go with would a mod close my thread(When i ask! NOT YET!) and ill create a new thread and re do season 1 + season 2 in the same format and just stick to that format?

I agree with dafuge and in my opinion, this is far too often.

Personally, I like to spend my free time playing the game instead of writing up match reports.

Perhaps the lack of responses in my thread means the long seasonal updates is the wrong way to go. But it's the way I've always done it, and the way I'll probably keep going. I'm more likely to cur further down than to write even more tbh.

My thoughts exactly. I prefer playing the game rather than spending just as much time producing write ups.

I would hope there's room in this forum for people to write things out and present them in the way that they choose (within reason). Not everybody is going to like everyone's particular approach but I personally enjoy the more detailed threads and the match-by-match updates. I certainly enjoy writing mine that way.

I have a handful of people following, which I'm fine with. I have no great need of masses of followers. I'm just a bit anoraky and enjoy the detail.

Would it seriously take you as long to write 3-4 lines about each match in a given month as it would to play that month?

Like I said...MY OPINION. I'm not going to argue the toss with you...again.

I would hope there's room in this forum for people to write things out and present them in the way that they choose (within reason). Not everybody is going to like everyone's particular approach but I personally enjoy the more detailed threads and the match-by-match updates. I certainly enjoy writing mine that way.

I have a handful of people following, which I'm fine with. I have no great need of masses of followers. I'm just a bit anoraky and enjoy the detail.

This is why I wanted this forum created...to welcome all sorts of writing and threads. Other forums have strict rules and this provides an outlet for people who wish to do things differently. Like I said, I prefer writing and reading threads with 2 or 3 updates, but that's just me. You prefer writing and reading monthly updates which is just as acceptable. That's the beauty of this forum :).

i dont mean every game post Raware, i was thinking more this:

BRANDON 1

CROOK TOWN 2

Welfare Ground, Durham

Wednesday 12th August 2009

Kick off 7.45pm

Attendance: 190

Northern League Division Two

MATCH SUMMARY

well we had the most possesion but we were outshot 7-3 most of Brandons shots coming from distance and in the last 5 or so minutes, we got lucky after the break as we took the league when Brandon defender Preston put through his own net but the goal was coming then and it was a deserved lead, on the hour it was all square as Brandon won and scored from the spot. only for Left winger Murray to clinch the win 4 minutes after the Equalizer and give us what i would say a slightly deserved victory as i think we just about edged it.

GOAL SCORERS

CROOK TOWN: Own Goal, Jay Murray

BRANDON: Hawksworth (Pen)

CROOK TOWN 3

WHITEHAVEN 1

The Millfield Ground, Crook

Saturday 22nd August 2009

Kick off 3.00pm

Attendance: 224

MATCH SUMMARY

Well we went behind five minutes in as Howarth scored to give whitehaven a lead after that it was one way traffic but we took untill the 50th minute to get ourselves back into it when Rose stabbed home after a goal mouth scrable as we managed to to start gaining more momentum, and the result was more in our favour when Cooper managed to score from the edge of the area, at 2-1 and with 75mins gone i decided to try and protect the lead, and we sealed the win when we broke and Rose was hacked down in the area, Price stepped up to seal a 3-1 win in the 86th min from the spot.

GOAL SCORERS

CROOK TOWN: Rose, Cooper, Price

WHITEHAVEN: Howarth

THORNABY 0

CROOK TOWN 1

Teesdale Park, Durham

Saturday 29th August 2009

Kick off 3.00pm

MATCH SUMMARY

in a game we were expected to lose we managed to nick by sitting back and hoping for something on the break. and we were under heavy pressure from the start, but we survived till half time which im content with, and was hoping to get a draw but as thornaby pushed forward in the second half, we broke from a Thornaby corner and Abrhams managed to head home for a undeserved lead, we also had a fair number of scares in the second half and we were lucky to come away with the win:

GOAL SCORERS

CROOK TOWN: Abrahams

Thornaby: None

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

League Table at end of August

But obviously Shorter Summeries of each game to allow me to write them as the game is processing :)

i dont mean every game post Raware, i was thinking more this:

BRANDON 1

CROOK TOWN 2

Welfare Ground, Durham

Wednesday 12th August 2009

Kick off 7.45pm

MATCH SUMMARY

well we had the most possesion but we were outshot 7-3 most of Brandons shots coming from distance and in the last 5 or so minutes, we got lucky after the break as we took the league when Brandon defender Preston put through his own net but the goal was coming then and it was a deserved lead, on the hour it was all square as Brandon won and scored from the spot. only for Left winger Murray to clinch the win 4 minutes after the Equalizer and give us what i would say a slightly deserved victory as i think we just about edged it.

GOAL SCORERS

CROOK TOWN: Own Goal, Jay Murray

BRANDON: Hawksworth (Pen)

CROOK TOWN 3

WHITEHAVEN 1

The Millfield Ground, Crook

Saturday 22nd August 2009

Kick off 3.00pm

Attendance: 224

MATCH SUMMARY

Well we went behind five minutes in as Howarth scored to give whitehaven a lead after that it was one way traffic but we took untill the 50th minute to get ourselves back into it when Rose stabbed home after a goal mouth scrable as we managed to to start gaining more momentum, and the result was more in our favour when Cooper managed to score from the edge of the area, at 2-1 and with 75mins gone i decided to try and protect the lead, and we sealed the win when we broke and Rose was hacked down in the area, Price stepped up to seal a 3-1 win in the 86th min from the spot.

GOAL SCORERS

CROOK TOWN: Rose, Cooper, Price

WHITEHAVEN: Howarth

THORNABY 0

CROOK TOWN 1

Teesdale Park, Durham

Saturday 29th August 2009

Kick off 3.00pm

MATCH SUMMARY

in a game we were expected to lose we managed to nick by sitting back and hoping for something on the break. and we were under heavy pressure from the start, but we survived till half time which im content with, and was hoping to get a draw but as thornaby pushed forward in the second half, we broke from a Thornaby corner and Abrhams managed to head home for a undeserved lead, we also had a fair number of scares in the second half and we were lucky to come away with the win:

GOAL SCORERS

CROOK TOWN: Abrahams

Thornaby: None

League Table at end of August

But obviously Shorter Summeries of each game to allow me to write them as the game is processing :)

You can write it however you want acidmonkey. Which ever way you choose will be more than fine, it's whatever you feel most comfortable with. That's the great thing about this forum :). I was just giving my two cents as everyone else has :).

i know Raware im just getting thoughs on what others think is the best way to go about monthly updates, see if theres something i can be bothered to do :)

otherwise its updates 3 times a season from me

My thoughts are : I prefer the 2 or 3 updates. The other option you posted would be a different approach. I know there's a thread on here that has a similar approach (my apologies, I can't remember whose off the top of my head :o) but i'm not sure about how people feel about having to to click on a lot of links in a thread. Personally, I don't mind it...I know some prefer to see the screenshots in the thread so they can take a quick glance.

Again? :confused:

Didn't realise it had to be an argument though, no chance for discussion, how very depressing.

Hi Chopster, how's the form lad?

Yes, again. I seem to remember having a heated discussion about this forum when it was first set up and how I asked a geniune question about the continuation of your thread. It soon turned into 'arguing the toss' about this forum being nothing more than...how did you put it..."backslapping and well dones" not the discussion, as you phrased there, which I had hoped for. As you say, very depressing.

Again? :confused:

Hi Chopster, how's the form lad?

Not too bad mate. I'm getting to play a fair bit of '09 at the moment due to working from home, and I'm just looking for a decent section of the forums to have a bit of banter and discussion about the game on.

Your previous 'opinion' was a clear attempt to 'fuel the fire' of disagreement to a cause in which I was pretty adament about, which you knew. Funny how you stay around a forum in which you have an unfavouravble opinion about. That's peculiar.

This is fast becoming another slanging match between you and I and something i'm not willing, and to be honest, don't have the energy to pursue.

Remind me to place you back on my ignore list. I have no idea why I removed you :confused:.

I changed my opinion of it once a few users stopped posting, nothing peculiar, just moving with the times. It's no slanging match, just a conversation, sorry that you felt the need to drag it down to the depths of petty point scoring, I thought the conversation regards post length and update style might help acidmonkey. :(

Your previous 'opinion' was a clear attempt to 'fuel the fire' of disagreement to a cause in which I was pretty adament about, which you knew. Funny how you stay around a forum in which you have an unfavouravble opinion about. That's peculiar.

This is fast becoming another slanging match between you and I and something i'm not willing, and to be honest, don't have the energy to pursue.

Remind me to place you back on my ignore list. I have no idea why I removed you :confused:.

I changed my opinion of it once a few users stopped posting, nothing peculiar, just moving with the times. It's no slanging match, just a conversation, sorry that you felt the need to drag it down to the depths of petty point scoring, I thought the conversation regards post length and update style might help acidmonkey. :(

Perhaps agree to disagree then and leave it at that eh? No need to get petty. ;)

I'm the same, I like to put my time into playing the game rather than writing about it. During a normal working week I am pretty much restricted to weekends only, so I like to make sure I spend that time playing rather than writing, as that is what I enjoy more.

Saying that though, I do tend to be quite flexible. If I've had a busy transfer window I might do an extra update for that and international tournaments always get the 'match by match' treatment. My rule of thumb is to post things that I think others will be interested in, I doubt people would want to hear about my 2-0 league win over Everton in November.

That's not to say that there is anything wrong with doing it the other way, I think it is good that we have a variety of styles here. It would get a bit dull if we all had identical looking threads and updates. I would encourage people to choose their own style, please don't think there is a right and wrong way of doing it.

I don't know how many people have looked at my thread but my posts take me half an hour at the very longest to write. I actually find that breaks up my playing time nicely because I don't like long sessions. I also find that writing the way I do helps me digest what's been happening.

What's worrying me now, though, is that my thread is somehow against the etiquette of the forum. It feels as if the place was set up for short, sharp updates and I don't like that. As I said before, and Raware seemed to concur with, can we not have space for different styles. I mean, if you look in a thread and it's not for you, you don't have to keep going back.

I just feel the style I've adopted (which, incidentally, was inspired by my thorough enjoyment of Elrithral's thread) needs a little defending here. It may not be what some prefer to see because you don't get to find out instantly how I've been doing. But I do think it adds colour to a save and it gives you a real insight into every single twist and turn that the writer is going through. Personally I really like that. I hope there's a place for that kind of thing around here.

What's worrying me now, though, is that my thread is somehow against the etiquette of the forum. It feels as if the place was set up for short, sharp updates and I don't like that. As I said before, and Raware seemed to concur with, can we not have space for different styles. I mean, if you look in a thread and it's not for you, you don't have to keep going back.

I just feel the style I've adopted (which, incidentally, was inspired by my thorough enjoyment of Elrithral's thread) needs a little defending here. It may not be what some prefer to see because you don't get to find out instantly how I've been doing. But I do think it adds colour to a save and it gives you a real insight into every single twist and turn that the writer is going through. Personally I really like that. I hope there's a place for that kind of thing around here.

As I've mentioned, I think a variety of styles is good. I don't want this forum to become too rigid in the styles people use.

Oh dear. I haven't been here for a whole week, and there's all this bickering! :D

Honesty, I really don't care how people write out their updates. Some can write their long updates, some can write short updates. Some prefer writing only end-of-season updates while others like writing monthly. The main thing is that: We all don't have to be the same!

TBH, I prefer the shorter updates more, just the matches and standings, and then a post with the latest news about my team, transfer grumblings, and such. Like a team 'beat' reporter. It doesn't take me that long and I even add my little bits to make a little interesting. :p

• quick updates mean I don't have to spend forever writing
  • less time for writing = more time for playing!

In other news, can someone save my game save. It's March and I don't see the new fixtures in the Chinese leagues (the season reset date is December 28) but there have been youth intakes. I'm asking this because the USL leagues in my career game do not simulate properly and all the players there don't play any games. It's going to ruin my career game if the Chinese players don't play any games. :(

Honesty, I really don't care how people write out their updates. Some can write their long updates, some can write short updates. Some prefer writing only end-of-season updates while others like writing monthly. The main thing is that: We all don't have to be the same!

Brian: Please, please, please listen! I've got one or two things to say.

The Crowd: Tell us! Tell us both of them!

Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!

The Crowd: Yes! We're all individuals!

Brian: You're all different!

The Crowd: Yes, we ARE all different!

Man in crowd: I'm not...

The Crowd: Sch!

Sorry, couldn't help it :o

Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!

daf! You gave me a chuckle. Good thing I didn't LOL at that in my lecture... :D

Anyone know how to save my career game? :o

Python!! \o/ :D

Just to chip in my tuppence on the updates debate: I go for monthly/bi-monthly updates mainly because (especially at the moment), my playing time is limited and it takes me forever to complete seasons. If I tried an end-of-season updates, I'd struggle to remember the start of the season and to post, I'd probably have to dig my thread up from somewhere near the bottom of the forum. ;)

Whatever the style/frequency, quality is what counts. To give a few examples (there are more of course), iacovone's monthly updtaes, rancer's game-by-game updates, crouchy's more detailed 'essays' (:p) and raware's season reports are all well-written and good to read.

Sorry to hear about your fixture issues rancer. Did you find anything in the bugs forum about it?

If I wanted to begin a Career Thread would this be an acceptable way of posting the all important links? Example Update:

Sat, 18.07.09 1860 Munchen 0-3 Liverpool (Pre-Season)

1860mnchenvliverpool.th.png 1860mnchenvliverpool2.th.png

Pre-Season Review

------------------

Looking through a few threads people do not seem to post thumbnails so maybe this is not allowed. I am hampered though by not being able to link text to my pictures. I'm sure that I can do this (positive in fact) but imageshack does not seem to like the link button with the little green globe. Also something about 4 images being the maximum?

[/url]"]Line Ups Take three.. ffs lol.

If I wanted to begin a Career Thread would this be an acceptable way of posting the all important links? Example Update:

Sat, 18.07.09 1860 Munchen 0-3 Liverpool (Pre-Season)

1860mnchenvliverpool.th.png 1860mnchenvliverpool2.th.png

Pre-Season Review

------------------

Looking through a few threads people do not seem to post thumbnails so maybe this is not allowed. I am hampered though by not being able to link text to my pictures. I'm sure that I can do this (positive in fact) but imageshack does not seem to like the link button with the little green globe. Also something about 4 images being the maximum?

[url="http://1860mnchenvliverpool.th.png"]Line Ups[/url] (link not valid, can someone please tell me why?

Thumbnail image links are fine, although as you have already found out, there is a limit of 4 images per post which does restrict that method.

I don't use imageshack, but I'm guessing that you are using the direct image link that they provide, rather than the direct link. Maybe someone that is familiar with imageshack can help you on this one?

I hope there's a place for that kind of thing around here.

I hope you don't feel that way Mike. Hopefully this forum caters for all kinds of threads. As you said, if you look in a thread and it's not for you, you don't have to keep going back. As dafuge mentioned, it would get a bit dull if we all had identical looking threads and updates :).

What I'd like to know is why certain people feel that it is up to them to try and dictate what should be considered a worthy career update? Why is it up to you? I can understand a moderator having these powers, but surely the rest of us are all equals round here?

I don't understand why this debate even started I mean the whole idea of this place is for people to post updates as they see fit without too many restrictions. Monthly, weekly, match by match, yearly or every ten years it doesn't matter. That's the whole point of this place isn't it?

Archived