Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

No doubt, but if it's castigated and frowned upon in such a vicious and unnecessary manner then it will drive writers away, regardless of how many people read it. As has been proven in my conversations with other writers and I think that's worth mentioning when someone asks about opinion of certain styles, of course I could just toe the line and pretend that said bullying and harrassment doesn't exist, but....

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im not in the mood for an argument sorry as any one can tell your fishing for one,

and its not frowned upon in anyway, some people prefer not to read them some do.

Considering i do a monthly update and i get close to 10 views for every post i make i think its going well for me

Fishing for an argument? :confused: Why bother? What you actually mean is that you aren't in the mood for reasoned discussion unless the end product is someone agreeing with you.

However, since you're jumping ship so as to avoid an adult conversation, i'll finish my tuppence worth. I disagree, but I respect you're opinion. :)

My thought on it was that I enjoy doing game by game atm. However, I used to do a 4 update season in my Empoli GPTG thread. End of August, End of Dec, End of Jan and End of season.

As anyone who puts their career up, I like people to read it. However I don't want to bore people with a game by game so if the majority would prefer a 4 post season, I'll happily bow to that.

So in essence, both Elrithral and acidmonkey gave me the answers I was looking for!

You don't think people's attitudes towards a certain style have anything to do with the opinion of a certain style i.e. whether it is popular or not? :confused: The fact that people who used that style gave up and questioned whether they should continue using it or not is perfectly pertinent to a discussion on whether or not said style is frowned upon and seems to indicate that it is frowned upon.

I sincerely hope that as a moderator of this forum that I haven't let my opinions been taken out of context.

I've mentioned before that I'm not keen on reading game by game updates, but the last thing I want to do is to put people off from writing them as they have just as much potential to be popular as any other style.

If you fancy PMing me with a few names, particularly when it comes to the incidences of bullying, I'll gladly look into it.

I don't think they have dafuge. Both you and I gave our preference on how we like to write and read updates (after all, that was the question posed right?) but as you say, and as I have said, any kind of update style is more than acceptable and has as much potential to be popular as any other.

As far as 'bullying' is concerned here...since being in this forum from day one, I have never, ever seen any kind of 'bullying' in this forum whatsoever.

daf, not you, but I have no doubt that comments such as this;

Remind me to place you back on my ignore list. I have no idea why I removed you

in the context of a discussion on what people prefer and a simple difference of opinion, leads to comments like this;

I just feel the style I've adopted (which, incidentally, was inspired by my thorough enjoyment of Elrithral's thread) needs a little defending here.

Or this;

What I'd like to know is why certain people feel that it is up to them to try and dictate what should be considered a worthy career update? Why is it up to you? I can understand a moderator having these powers, but surely the rest of us are all equals round here?

I think some people need to be reminded that this is the case, we went from me asking if monthly updates really took that long to write and in doing so promoting one style of update to someone making an obvious attempt to belittle another user. Is it any wonder that some members think monthly updates came out in a negative light?

Like I said earlier, i've spoken to three regular users of this forum who were very disappointed with the way things turned out in the above discussion, one wasn't sure if he would continue his update as a result of the attitude towards monthly updates and has made only one update since then.

We can all nit pick and choose which quotes to highlight to try and portray somebody in a bad light. What you fail to highlight is my actual opinion on the discussed matter which i've said numerous times.

This is why I wanted this forum created...to welcome all sorts of writing and threads. Other forums have strict rules and this provides an outlet for people who wish to do things differently. Like I said, I prefer writing and reading threads with 2 or 3 updates, but that's just me. You prefer writing and reading monthly updates which is just as acceptable. That's the beauty of this forum.
Hopefully this forum caters for all kinds of threads. As you said, if you look in a thread and it's not for you, you don't have to keep going back. As dafuge mentioned, it would get a bit dull if we all had identical looking threads and updates :).
There is no right or wrong way to post a career update. Obviously people have their own preference in how to read/write updates but this should in no way dictate to others how theirs should be presented.
You can write it however you want acidmonkey. Which ever way you choose will be more than fine, it's whatever you feel most comfortable with. That's the great thing about this forum :). I was just giving my two cents as everyone else has :).
Is it any wonder that some members think monthly updates came out in a negative light?

I fail to see how my responses added to some members thinking monthly updates came out in a negative light?

To answer your "obvious attempt to belittle another user" point...

Fishing for an argument? :confused: Why bother? What you actually mean is that you aren't in the mood for reasoned discussion unless the end product is someone agreeing with you.

However, since you're jumping ship so as to avoid an adult conversation...

Contradiction?

There's a difference between stating an opinion of someones behaviour and telling someone that you will go out of your way to ignore them.

One thing though, since you replied to my previous post you obviously didn't put me on ignore, which only serves to highlight that the comment in question was intended as a put down, rather than a statement of intent.

Look, i'm just giving my opinion based on conversations I have had, there's no point discussing it because our opinion differs and we aren't going to agree, but I think it was worth mentioning because of the impact I believe your comments may have had.

There's a difference between stating an opinion of someones behaviour and telling someone that you will go out of your way to ignore them

This isn't what you're doing here. You're telling him what he's doing/thinking ("What you actually mean is that you aren't in the mood for reasoned discussion unless the end product is someone agreeing with you") when you in fact have no idea why he doesn't want to discuss the subject further.

Since you're jumping ship so as to avoid an adult conversation

Is this not belittling him by suggesting he doesn't want an adult conversation? :confused:

One thing though, since you replied to my previous post you obviously didn't put me on ignore, which only serves to highlight that the comment in question was intended as a put down, rather than a statement of intent.

Another conclusion in which you've jumped to. I did actually put you on ignore but was curious as to how this thread was going and since I couldn't see your comments I decided to remove you to see them.

Look, i'm just giving my opinion based on conversations I have had, there's no point discussing it because our opinion differs and we aren't going to agree, but I think it was worth mentioning because of the impact I believe your comments may have had.

As i've quoted for you...four quotes actually out of the many responses i've given, my responses and opinions in no way said that one style of update was better than the other. How this has an impact on how others feel about update styles bemuses me :confused:.

Fair enough, you're right, i'm wrong. Sorry for bothering you.

Please don't condescend.

How am I right and you're wrong? I didn't realise it was a right or wrong discussion. As far as i'm concerned there is no right or wrong way to produce an update. As i've stated countless times, any kind of update is acceptable in this forum.

I just don't take kindly to false accusations i.e the statement that my opinions affected how people post when in fact i've given no indication as to a 'better' style, therefore putting off writers/readers posting and an accusation of bullying.

Maybe it's better if we avoid each other from now on.

Christ almighty, all I was doing was ending the conversation rather than keep it going and going round in circles, but even that is met with a horrible attitude. There's something seriosuly wrong with this place if that's an acceptable attitude towards someone trying to end a discussion that has gone too far!

As for false accusations, my opinion was based on discussion with a number of CU users who weren't impressed with your attitude, I didn't just pluck it out of thin air. CU has lost users, myself included now, because of your attitude in this discussion and that's fact, it was discussed elsewhere, in private.

I've raised my concerns with the daf, i'll leave it in his very capable hands, but for now i'll say goodbye to CU and give up on a very well received update because of this conversation. And you say that your attitude hasn't affected people's opinion of the general opinion of monthly updates? Do me a favour.

Anyways, that's that and i'm gone, so you got what you wanted.

You wasn't ending the conversation, you was condescending.

As for false accusations, my opinion was based on discussion with a number of CU users who weren't impressed with your attitude, I didn't just pluck it out of thin air. CU has lost users, myself included now, because of your attitude in this discussion and that's fact, it was discussed elsewhere, in private.

How is my attitude any different to others in here. An opinion was asked which people prefer (not which is better). My preference is seasonal as are...

ideally id like to do a start of season (after friendlies + signings) update, a jan one, and an end of season one....
Personally, I like to spend my free time playing the game instead of writing up match reports...
Personally, I think monthly updates are too often. You only really need to post updates that people will be interested in, which for me is restricted to end of season updates and noteable events.
Very much agree with that. Honestly, I don't see the point in monthly updates. That sounds more like a story to me. Easier to follow a career with seasonal updates.
I'm the same, I like to put my time into playing the game rather than writing about it. During a normal working week I am pretty much restricted to weekends only, so I like to make sure I spend that time playing rather than writing, as that is what I enjoy more...

How mine differs from those opinions and how my attitude has affected people's opinion of the general opinion of monthly updates quite frankly puzzles me :confused:. It seems that i'm being singled out for expressing a common preference, which is then deduced to be the reason for people leaving. :confused:

Anyways, that's that and i'm gone, so you got what you wanted

Please explain to me where i've said this...

I started an Everton save on a game by game basis but found that I didn't have enough time to add the updates like that. I am now contemplating if it's worth posting in seasonal updates. I would like to post about my career as I think it's pretty interesting but am not sure if I should open a new thread or continue on from the old one, any suggestions are more than welcome.

That's what I was thinking I got to Feb with the game by game stuff so I could maybe write out a round up of that season. I would like to write a pre-season update stating what changes I was making and then a round up of the season. The thing that bothers me is I do write for myself but like to have some feedback and since it's been so long maybe people would not be interested in it if you understand where I am coming from.

That's what I was thinking I got to Feb with the game by game stuff so I could maybe write out a round up of that season. I would like to write a pre-season update stating what changes I was making and then a round up of the season. The thing that bothers me is I do write for myself but like to have some feedback and since it's been so long maybe people would not be interested in it if you understand where I am coming from.

I agree. It's great to see reading counts go higher every time, just sometimes you wish someone would offer a little critique of things that could be better.

I agree. It's great to see reading counts go higher every time, just sometimes you wish someone would offer a little critique of things that could be better.

I know what you mean Deisler. It sometimes seems as though it's just me and Nobby Mcdonald reading my thread. It would be nice to see some other comments as well.

I know what you mean Deisler. It sometimes seems as though it's just me and Nobby Mcdonald reading my thread. It would be nice to see some other comments as well.

i post in others threads when i can think of something to say otherwise id just be posting drivel TBH

Time for both of you to drop it now I think, no one really wants to read petty arguments here.

I totally agree dafuge but it does become a little irritating when accusations are being made against me which have no basis for any kind of truth whatsoever. Don't I have a right to ask why these accusations are being made? Or do I just accept the false accusations?

I am following your threads, it's just sometimes you don't want to write KUTGW or something. It is nice to wake up though and read Nobby's comments...they do make me laugh! :D A posting style all of his own :D.

I am following your threads, it's just sometimes you don't want to write KUTGW or something. It is nice to wake up though and read Nobby's comments...they do make me laugh! :D A posting style all of his own :D.

Now that is true. Especially when Stoke do well :D

I'm in 2 minds whether to continue my European adventure, currently with Galatasaraay. If I started a new game and wrote it up, it would be either with Shrewsbury Town, a Blue Square North/South Team (probably Telford), or a level 10 team

Out of the four options, which would be the most popular choice for people to read

- Continue the Galatasaraay game and continue trying to conquer all areas of Europe

- Start with my club Shrewsbury with the new data update, to see if I can turn them into a massive force

- Start with a Blue Square club, probably Telford, and see how far I can take them and how my management career progresses

- Or enter a area totally alien to me, Level 10 and just see what happens

I would be happy to do any of those four, and write them up, just wondering what people would be most interested in and rather read?

Question for people who have gotten a new stadium built and played a fair few seasons.

Have you been able to expand this new stadium to more than twice its original size?

I think my first stadium was expanded to exactly double. Far too early to tell with the second one :cool:

Just on the off chance has anyone heard of the picture you upload for your manager profile when adding a manager in-game disappearing? My one seems to have gone for no apparent reason :(

Edit - I load an older save and its still there in that one :confused:

Edit v2 - Nevermind, reloaded my current save and it re-appeared. Odd.

Hmm I can't remember in all honesty, I can't think why I would have as I've just used the regular light skin the whole time but it hasn't disappeared since that day so must have just been one of those things.

Archived