Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everton? I had a plan of starting a Toffees save after the patch comes out. Although with a totally different goal than yours (they're probably be different :p). Will Donovan be at Everton on the next patch?

I would say something similar to what acidmonkey said. :thup:

I think acidmonkey is spot on. I will be starting one early next week and hopefully they will not end up crashed or deleted or something similar. Not sure about Donovan he has a similar loan deal to Beckham but they only put Beckhams short term loan in I think.

Well I've slowly started getting more time on FM now. Also thinking about my thread title. Might think about changing it to something like "Look at my massive Wand!" but on second thoughts it is a bit crap and I might as well stick with what I've got. I'm in the playoffs now and heading towards New Year :) after bettering Sutton who have started to plummet. Not sure whether promotion would be the best thing atm though. Some of my best signings have been defenders and my goalie, Nick Jones, who's played every game so far. My central defenders have stayed the same, Mark Willy (who I chose as skipper against the advice of my team and backroom) and Tommy Osborne (who despite not scoring since September/October is my top scorer with 5 goals), and my RB and LB are signings made during the season. Andrew Downey and Precious Koko (who I mainly signed just because of the name :cool:). I'll probably do a mid-season summary at the end of January, saying who's currently at the top of each league, who's in the drop zones, etc.

I'm also now very rapidly losing patience with a new signing that's only played 5 games for me. I've become fond of a 4-5-1 formation so reliance on the striker is vital. Danny Egan just hasn't done anything in those games (well, he scored a late equaliser against Tooting) and in my last game against Hendon we were 2-0 down until I replaced him with Leigh Bremner, where we then turned the game around and drew 2-2 again.

At which level do you play now? My scouts found him too, and he did very well for me for a number of seasons. But the last two he was only a sub. Since he had done so well for me I let him go on Bosman instead of trying to get a small fee for him. He's in Ireland now, doing pretty well.

I'd assume most players at that level are quite randomly generated though, so perhaps he just ended up pretty decent in my game.

I'm still in my first season, in the Ryman Premier. I'm making an unexpected playoff push after a 12 match unbeaten run (which came about after I found out about the wonders of 4-5-1, when I was using 4-4-2 we went on a 6 game run without winning), in which we're now level with 4th place AFC Hornchurch who we play next (\o/). I'll probably be screwed next season in the BSS if I do go up though, but promotion is promotion. And it would be good for the club's 150th anniversary being celebrated in 2010.

Does anyone have a comp with similar specs to mine - Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.60GHz 3.59GHz, 2.00 GB Ram, Windows xp sp3?

Just curious as to how many leagues your running and DB size.

I know the star rating system thing is bugged when setting up new games, but it only rates mine at 1/2 star for both and recommends I only run the English leagues down to league two! Thought it would of been more capable than that to be honest. I ask because never run more than one nations leagues before, should I just ignore the star ratings all together?

Does anyone have a comp with similar specs to mine - Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.60GHz 3.59GHz, 2.00 GB Ram, Windows xp sp3?

Just curious as to how many leagues your running and DB size.

I know the star rating system thing is bugged when setting up new games, but it only rates mine at 1/2 star for both and recommends I only run the English leagues down to league two! Thought it would of been more capable than that to be honest. I ask because never run more than one nations leagues before, should I just ignore the star ratings all together?

Ignore the star ratings. I don't find them useful at all. I think you can easily run 20-30 leagues on a large DB with those specs. Although I had similar specs except I had Vista, if that's a big difference. Did you do some test runs?

Depends a lot on personal preference too. If you hate watching the processing screen, like me, you don't want too many leagues. But if that's a non-issue, just put in as much as you want. The game will get slower the more seasons you play, but I think it has improved over the years. I'm now 10 years down the line and it's not a huge difference.

While testing the boundaries for uncle ron's England file I ran some long holiday tests. I noticed that the timestamps on the different seasons didn't increase a lot down the line. So I don't think the game slows down as much as it once did.

Agreed Pangaea, I've not noticed huge slowdown with this file. The only major difference now compared to the start of my career is continuing the game after playing a match. That takes a minute or two to register/process but then once back on the results screen I'm back to normal.

I don't have a problem with loading times personally though so perhaps I'm a bit more tolerent of the slowdown.

Gundo - I have a laptop with about half the specs you have and have been running 23 leagues on a large DB. One piece of advice - unless you're desparate to play in Brazil I would avoid loading that league as it contains so many competitions.

One issue with number of leagues loaded is save size due to data. Slowly, but surely it gets quite big and this also slows the game down. I'm in 2026 with my International story save, but i'm using Gill's retain all players file and the save is already 75mb+ and gradually getting horrendously slow.

As iacovone said, Brazil is one to avoid if you are running a lot of leagues. The state championships mean there are about 8 extra leagues running simultaneously at the start of the year and there is a noticeable difference in processing speed in my game when they are running (Jan-April) and when they are not (rest of the year).

Ok, I loaded a game with Norway(all), Spain(all), Italy(all) and England(all) leagues running on a Large DB. It took 1hr 42mins to run through 3 months gameplay on Holiday, does that sound a reasonable speed to you chaps?

Please can a mod move my Nasoni Waqaseduadua thread to the Stories forum? I think it would be more suited in there.

It might be worth checking over there first but I have a feeling that embedded images are banned in FMS. You may need to remove them first before moving the thread.

Anyone got any experience in amateur leagues? Have started a career unemployed with a few nations running, and got offered a job with some Belgian 3rd division outfit. Not got as far as playing a game and they actually look ok on paper, but seems a struggle to find anything more than marginal improvements to the team. Will it just end up massively frustrating?

Anyone got any experience in amateur leagues? Have started a career unemployed with a few nations running, and got offered a job with some Belgian 3rd division outfit. Not got as far as playing a game and they actually look ok on paper, but seems a struggle to find anything more than marginal improvements to the team. Will it just end up massively frustrating?

I found it easy to improve the squad with loans while Amatuer in England.

I've never really had a good nomad career before, but my attempt at a crack of one comes with the top two divisions loaded from: Brazil, England, France, Italy and Spain. I find this version of FM a lot easier as you can succesfully transfer how you think your team should play into the game, rather than fumbling around with sliders and such.

Anyone have any tips for a beginner traveller? :D

I found it easy to improve the squad with loans while Amatuer in England.

I also found it easy to improve the squad with loans while Amatuer/Semi Pro in England. There's no limit so you can sign as many as you want. Seems there maybe some locality associated with it too as the players that were willing to join me were all within 30 or so miles of the club (Forest, Derby, Leicester, Mansfield, Chesterfield, Sheff Utd, Notts County, Burton, etc).

I also found it easy to improve the squad with loans while Amatuer/Semi Pro in England. There's no limit so you can sign as many as you want. Seems there maybe some locality associated with it too as the players that were willing to join me were all within 30 or so miles of the club (Forest, Derby, Leicester, Mansfield, Chesterfield, Sheff Utd, Notts County, Burton, etc).

I found that too. Would have made it much easier if I wasnt a foreigner :(

Seems there maybe some locality associated with it too as the players that were willing to join me were all within 30 or so miles of the club (Forest, Derby, Leicester, Mansfield, Chesterfield, Sheff Utd, Notts County, Burton, etc).

Would be awesome if this was implemented further up too. Part-time players really shouldn't be moving across the country, not least from one country to another, to sign for another semi-pro club on a part-time contract.

noob tubes are easy to counter lol, jump seems to bounce under you and away :D,

Just had best come back in fm just now, was trailing 2-0 to Bishop Aukland at half time looking dead and buried, goal in 59th from a fluke, a well taken break away in the 77th minute, before we took the lead in the 86th min, i then changed the tactics telling everyone to just lash the ball at the other end of the pitch when they get it :D

First post in here, I've got a question.

I recently ended my first save which had all leagues loaded from England, Italy and Spain, plus some other players loaded. I had to end it because in 2030 the game had slowed down really noticably and it got frustrating. So my new save has just got England loaded down to BSN/BSS. I was thinking of doing a career update but thought it might be difficult to keep it interesting with only the one country loaded. What do you lot think, and are there any existing updates with only one country running?

I started out at Tooting & Mitcham and was thinking of calling it "The 2nd Best Career Thread Featuring Tooting & Mitcham", any opinions, dafuge? :D

Hi there,

I would love to start a career thread here, having been hanging around and enjoying some of the threads for the last few days. I was thinking of running it in parallel with Gundo's Challenge. Hope that sounds good.

Do you think that I should play 1/2/3 seasons before I start posting, just so I know that I am 'into' the game. I want it to be a proper thread that lasts a while... Only problem being I may get confused with screenshots etc. And finally, do you think a monthly update with links to the matches is best, or a 2-updates-per-season (one at Xmas and one at the end of the season), or just one big update at the end of a season, à la dafuge?

Sorry for all the queries...

Hi there,

I would love to start a career thread here, having been hanging around and enjoying some of the threads for the last few days. I was thinking of running it in parallel with Gundo's Challenge. Hope that sounds good.

Do you think that I should play 1/2/3 seasons before I start posting, just so I know that I am 'into' the game. I want it to be a proper thread that lasts a while... Only problem being I may get confused with screenshots etc. And finally, do you think a monthly update with links to the matches is best, or a 2-updates-per-season (one at Xmas and one at the end of the season), or just one big update at the end of a season, à la dafuge?

Sorry for all the queries...

I would start a thread when you start your game, personally I find it easier to write about things that have recently happened.

Personally, I think monthly updates are too often. You only really need to post updates that people will be interested in, which for me is restricted to end of season updates and noteable events.

Very much agree with that. Honestly, I don't see the point in monthly updates. That sounds more like a story to me. Easier to follow a career with seasonal updates.

Playing a couple of season first so you know the save won't die right away is nice, but as dafuge says it's easier to write when the events are recent. I often forget stuff just from playing through the transfer window first :D

i started monthly but found it interupted the flow of me playing the game, always stopping to write update, started now with seasonal updates (stolen from Dafuges, layout, will be adding more things to it when i get the chance though, eg. going to post the Regular Starting 11 tonight,)

Archived