wing backs

Not happening for my Liverpool side, so it must be something to do with how you play or what kind of players you have in those positions. My current fullbacks/wingbacks are Tierney and Moreno on the left, and Clyne and Alexander-Arnold on the right. They have a grand total of 10 yellow cards between then and I'm in March at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Johnleegriffin said:

yea i think it must be some kind of bug. i have Robertson and Moreno on the left and Alexander-Arnold and Gomes on the right.

If i set up individual training on tackling , think that might work. 

I don't think it's a bug, not entirely anyway. That tactic is putting the wing backs under a lot of pressure. You have IF(a)s ahead of them which are about the least useful defensive wing players - they don't contribute and don't even stick to the flanks, so often your wing backs are trying to deal with two attacking players. They have a relatively small amount of support from midfield with no dedicated holding or defensive player, and nobody in the DM strata. There isn't an extra centre back to help cover. And then they're being told to harry and close down as much as they can at a very high tempo, which is the tactical equivalent of putting hyperactive bunny rabbits on crack cocaine. They're very often going to be in positions where they rush in quickly on someone and accidentally commit a foul, or deliberately commit one to stop very promising attacking moves where the second opposition wide man on their flank is free and looking to break into the box behind your very high defensive line.

Very high closing down, with probably an aggressive mentality as well. Your WBs are going to be relatively advanced when you have the ball. When you lose it, they will be out of position, and have to chase back. This can lead to fouls.

Further, the high closing down is going to make them chase aggressively from their WB spot and put a challenge in. With a 3 man midfield, you are probably going to funnel a lot of the opposition play down your flanks, so your WBs will do a lot of closing down, make a lot of tackles, and therefore be more likely to get a yellow.

IF you want to experiment with that, us a PI to make one of the WBs close down a lot less than the other, and see if cards reduce.

Archived