[FM18] E22 - England to Level 22

Really struggeling with the finances here. Mainly due to the building (and expanding) of my new stadium. Also there's like almost no income possible. Can't sell players, I won't win any cups and I have an owner that refuses to get our club a senior affiliate. Or anything else.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 04:46, jwchriste said:

L7 completed, on to the National League South:

image.thumb.png.f0eb0613157805ebcf660a0584328849.png

Dominated the league and also won two cups.  Got knocked out of the FA Cup in the 4th round by Premier League Burnley.

And to meet the new league's stadium requirements:

image.thumb.png.619743f7b76caaa377801fe5a8c71cb9.png

And we won't take on any debt!

The board did cancel our planned youth facilities upgrade due to the money being used for the stadium expansion.

you are lucky that your stadium is being expanded and they are not building a new stadium instead.

you will need another stadium expansion/new stadium when you get up to league 2 to meet the requirements

9 hours ago, lionel messi said:

you are lucky that your stadium is being expanded and they are not building a new stadium instead.

you will need another stadium expansion/new stadium when you get up to league 2 to meet the requirements

Oh, I know how lucky I am.  I feel kinda like I'm cheating with my sugar-daddy owner, but I've never had one before (without using the editor) so I'm going to ride that pony 'til she drops!

I'll make up for it in a later save with some self-imposed, draconian restrictions to make everything much harder. :idiot:

3 hours ago, lionel messi said:

Promoted up to League 1 now, 2 promotions away from the Premier League.

Capture.thumb.JPG.1f44c8d3def4a98042ac107c920be8be.JPG

Wow, from mid-table the first season to top of the table.  How many changes did you have to make to turn it around that fast?

Just now, jwchriste said:

Wow, from mid-table the first season to top of the table.  How many changes did you have to make to turn it around that fast?

quite a few, I got quite a few defenders in on season long loans which helped greatly. I keep losing my top youth players though due to them not signing full time contracts because they think I cant match there ambitions.

3 minutes ago, jwchriste said:

Oh, I know how lucky I am.  I feel kinda like I'm cheating with my sugar-daddy owner, but I've never had one before (without using the editor) so I'm going to ride that pony 'til she drops!

I'll make up for it in a later save with some self-imposed, draconian restrictions to make everything much harder. :idiot:

Enjoy it while it lasts lol, I just had another takeover but it was by another board member so no money still lol.

Just now, lionel messi said:

Enjoy it while it lasts lol, I just had another takeover but it was by another board member so no money still lol.

I'm just hoping my owner hangs on until after we need to build a new stadium!

L6 (VNL South) finished:

image.thumb.png.83af2b9296014e2846cde1def7fc7e6c.png

Promoted to the VNL and won a second straight FA Trophy.  

I've mostly played FM at the amateur levels thanks to the annual iterations of this database.  My inexperience handling professional contracts was brought to my attention this season when my best young striker signed a pre-contract in January with Cork City in the Irish league.  I forgot that teams from other countries could do that 6 months in advance and I hadn't offered him a new contract yet.  Live and learn.

My stadium was just upgraded this season from 1000 to 3250 w/ 500 seats.  I shared The Dripping Pan with Lewes until mid-January.  Now, I'm due for a further upgrade since the VNL requires a minimum capacity of 4000:

image.thumb.png.8f16f021eace5fd0c95d53b09ba2130b.png

Once again, no assumed debt and we will be able to play in it while it is being expanded.

8 hours ago, James Lenihan said:

Hey guys

I've just got promoted to level 10 and I've noticed im not in the FA vase yet, should this be the case as I can see other teams in my league are in it?

Cheers in advance

I believe the rule is that you need to have finished at a certain position in that league to qualify.  So as you have only just been promoted, you don't yet...but should you finish high enough this year then next your'll be in. 

But don't quote me on that

1 hour ago, jwchriste said:

L6 (VNL South) finished:

image.thumb.png.83af2b9296014e2846cde1def7fc7e6c.png

Promoted to the VNL and won a second straight FA Trophy.  

I've mostly played FM at the amateur levels thanks to the annual iterations of this database.  My inexperience handling professional contracts was brought to my attention this season when my best young striker signed a pre-contract in January with Cork City in the Irish league.  I forgot that teams from other countries could do that 6 months in advance and I hadn't offered him a new contract yet.  Live and learn.

My stadium was just upgraded this season from 1000 to 3250 w/ 500 seats.  I shared The Dripping Pan with Lewes until mid-January.  Now, I'm due for a further upgrade since the VNL requires a minimum capacity of 4000:

image.thumb.png.8f16f021eace5fd0c95d53b09ba2130b.png

Once again, no assumed debt and we will be able to play in it while it is being expanded.

you will need another expansion when you go up to league 2, minimum stadium capacity 5,000 with at least 2,000 seats.

my total net debt now is 2.2 million but I have just drawn Manchester united away in the 3rd round of the fa cup so I could reduce it by a couple of 100,000.

2 hours ago, Pompeyboyz said:

I believe the rule is that you need to have finished at a certain position in that league to qualify.  So as you have only just been promoted, you don't yet...but should you finish high enough this year then next your'll be in. 

But don't quote me on that

That would sound about right, on a closer look, some teams are and some are not, also all the promoted teams from level 11 to 10 aren't in it either, cheers for the help!

3 hours ago, James Lenihan said:

That would sound about right, on a closer look, some teams are and some are not, also all the promoted teams from level 11 to 10 aren't in it either, cheers for the help!

I checked and double-checked my calendar math and I was definitely in the FA Vase after getting promoted to level 10.  I've gone back and looked at the FA Vase history on my save and I was knocked out in the semi-finals at L10, then won it at L9.  Starting at L8 I was in the FA Trophy.

Maybe there's a limited number of slots and you were just unlucky and didn't get picked?  Which club are you?  What were your L11 & L10 divisions?

Promoted to League 2:

image.thumb.png.d20729cd345388afd5009cbf51e16aa1.png

Maybe now that I'm in League football my players will all stop moaning about wanting to leave to go play for League 1/2 clubs.  3rd straight year requiring a stadium expansion.  If I still had my stadium in its original form, I would have sold out almost every game this season instead of averaging 23% full.

I have only the UK+Irish countries playable in my save with the English leagues currently down to level 10.  I was planning on reducing the number of levels playable in England (I have already done that, but will probably do more) and eventually start enabling other European and South American countries.  At what level does that start to make sense?  Right now, I can still only scout within the UK+Ireland.

6 hours ago, lionel messi said:

1000 games up.

Capture.thumb.JPG.3382d62c843e4079419f7eb7713284ba.JPG

I noticed in your inbox that you had an email from Ricky Pither.  Do you also have him as your Director of Football?

image.thumb.png.7d7fa5220a3af74abb340785cb688292.png

He's been with me since 2020 and is still on an amateur contract!

Hi guys,

I'm in my second season with Fairwarp. Wanted to share how to earn more money because cup prizes and sponsorships are fairly symbolic. 

My main income comes through playing friendlies. No surprise there. But I always challenge championship u23 teams. Dont know why, but when friendly game is about to be set, it says cost will be 10k and income 12k (this varies from team to team). But after the game, onle income is calculated. So after 2 seasons I managed to gain 250k (using it for training facilities, youth set up...). 

What's your experience with financial aspect of the game? How do you keep your balance in green?

13 minutes ago, Gospar said:

Hi guys,

I'm in my second season with Fairwarp. Wanted to share how to earn more money because cup prizes and sponsorships are fairly symbolic. 

My main income comes through playing friendlies. No surprise there. But I always challenge championship u23 teams. Dont know why, but when friendly game is about to be set, it says cost will be 10k and income 12k (this varies from team to team). But after the game, onle income is calculated. So after 2 seasons I managed to gain 250k (using it for training facilities, youth set up...). 

What's your experience with financial aspect of the game? How do you keep your balance in green?

What is the point about using gamey tactics like that. It is easy enough playing low down as it is.

1 hour ago, YOUNGSTEVE said:

What is the point about using gamey tactics like that. It is easy enough playing low down as it is.

Why does someone use 3 strikers formation? Why does someone keep playing after sugar daddy took over the club? Why does someone sign players from all around the England on amateur contract while playing English level 22? This game will never be 100% realistic. What's the point of not using game features if they are already there?

5 hours ago, Gospar said:

Why does someone use 3 strikers formation? Why does someone keep playing after sugar daddy took over the club? Why does someone sign players from all around the England on amateur contract while playing English level 22? This game will never be 100% realistic. What's the point of not using game features if they are already there?

Calm down.  It's your game, play it whichever way gives you the most pleasure.  (Says the guy who had the sugar daddy takeover :lol:).

But seriously, before the takeover (I think it was around Level 14) I wasn't having any money issues.  I was gradually getting the board to increase youth coaching, but making sure that my income was increasing fast enough to cover it.  Still, I think I had a couple hundred thousand in the bank when we got taken over.  And I wasn't doing anything other than just winning and drawing increasingly larger crowds each season.

As jw says, it's your game to play how you please, but the rest of us here don't look for easy fixes. See how lionel has bombed straight up to the top, promotions almost every season without any such aid.

btw guys, I couldn't kick the addiction - despite having started a new job I've loaded up this file again and am re-starting at L22. This time I've set myself a tougher challenge by using the editor to downgrade reputation and stuff, and fill my squad with 21 14 year-olds all with CA1.  Still in pre-season and took 5 goes to win my first game!

6 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

As jw says, it's your game to play how you please, but the rest of us here don't look for easy fixes. See how lionel has bombed straight up to the top, promotions almost every season without any such aid.

btw guys, I couldn't kick the addiction - despite having started a new job I've loaded up this file again and am re-starting at L22. This time I've set myself a tougher challenge by using the editor to downgrade reputation and stuff, and fill my squad with 21 14 year-olds all with CA1.  Still in pre-season and took 5 goes to win my first game!

I thought I played quite extreme, but not like this. Because the game was never intended to go down this low & that your attributes are rated 1-20, it is isn't really possible to properly play this low. So the only to play competitively  is to play with restrictions.

Minimum ways to play the game better is ensure all teams are filled with players, so you have crap straight away. Also have a small database, so players are rarer & more in demand, making buying & keeping them harder, though at these low levels, mainly keeping them is the problem. Because it is so easy to get players of a far harder standard I tried to go for realistic targets, but this doesn't really work, so the only way you can really play a fair game at these levels is by playing a youth challenge, whereby you only gain players through your youth input each season, & not allowed to bring players in. The other thing I have done for a few years, which hardly anyone does, is mask the attributes of players, so I cannot see how they compare to other players, & how weak & strong they are. That is not to say I haven't an idea, as you gain knowledge of players by watching them play, AM advice, & graphs of their areas of strengths & weaknesses, other reports, as a LLM manager would.

Despite these restrictions, it is still possible to climb the leagues regularly, but now you need to give more thought in what you do. I play slow so never play many seasons until the new version comes, but I like playing this way. I am not saying this is the right way, just the way I like playing the game, & as you & others have mentioned play the game how you enjoy it. Just thought I would explain the way I play the game.

17 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Yikes!  That's hardcore.  I'll admit that my current save would be rejected by a cursory LLM litmus test - I gave myself all coaching badges + experience up front.  But this save isn't about the challenge of overcoming some sort of club difficulty.  It's a test of my mettle, a battle of fortitude, a war of attrition.  I just want to take a club from the bottom to the top and win the EPL and Champion's League.  After that, my manager retires and I can check that challenge off the list.

11 hours ago, YOUNGSTEVE said:

The other thing I have done for a few years, which hardly anyone does, is mask the attributes of players, so I cannot see how they compare to other players, & how weak & strong they are.

Then, I'll start some sort of self-flagellating save.  Probably a L10-12, youth-only save at the smallest club I can find.  But I don't know if I'll ever be able to hide the attributes.  Maybe after completing a few more challenges I'll brave that challenge.

6 hours ago, jwchriste said:

Yikes!  That's hardcore.  I'll admit that my current save would be rejected by a cursory LLM litmus test - I gave myself all coaching badges + experience up front.  But this save isn't about the challenge of overcoming some sort of club difficulty.  It's a test of my mettle, a battle of fortitude, a war of attrition.  I just want to take a club from the bottom to the top and win the EPL and Champion's League.  After that, my manager retires and I can check that challenge off the list.

Then, I'll start some sort of self-flagellating save.  Probably a L10-12, youth-only save at the smallest club I can find.  But I don't know if I'll ever be able to hide the attributes.  Maybe after completing a few more challenges I'll brave that challenge.

Ah, I should have ticked player masking too - as I don't scout or use OIs, the additional information really doesn't affect me.

Crazily, since I posted that, I've gone on a 100% winning, no-goal conceding streak - even with all my players (bar one - I indulged myself with a superkeeper) starting with CA1. By the end of pre-season I'd worked out the required tactic and haven't looked back. It boils down to a defensive philosophy, everyone behind the ball and lump it upfield aimlessly, waiting for a defensive error. I get ridiculously low results for possession, pass completion and running around but win every game!

Where I'll come unstuck is this - 3 players couldn't get above 5.sth in ratings in all their pre-season friendlies so I banshed them with the back-up 14 year-old-keeper to the reserves, where they continue to underwhelm. This leaves me with a matchday squad of 17. Some players have to play woefully out of position. I've got 2 central defenders. When injuries and loss of form take their toll, I've got nothing. When cup ties give me 2 games in a week no training takes place as everyone has to rest. What happens when my better players accept transfers and my academy intake hasn't arrived doesn't bear thinking about - although I'll find out soon enough.

So currently it's still proving too easy but hopefully my self-sabotage efforts will bear fruit soon enough!

Been working for over two weeks straight so it's been slow going, but I've finally finished my League 2 season:

image.thumb.png.899e6bfc7cdaaa70f7252354eafe75f3.png

No cup heroics this season, knocked out fairly early in all of them.  Won the league by 14 points and led the league in goals for and against, but that was mostly thanks to a stellar first half of the season.

First 23 matches:  20-2-1

Last 23 matches:  13-3-7

I mean, it was still good, but I could tell we struggled more in the second half.  It seems they figured out how to defend against us and we didn't have a second formation to fall back on.  Might be time to start developing a second tactic, maybe something more defensive.

Just got my board expectations for my first League 1 season.  For the first time since L22, they don't expect me to gain promotion by winning the league.

But, do they expect me to make the playoffs?  Maybe finish mid-table?  No... I'm supposed to avoid relegation.

The severe drop in confidence is a little chilling.  Will this be a multi-year stint in League1? (I sort of hope so... looking forward to things getting more challenging :))

10 minutes ago, lionel messi said:

Promotion to the rich league, we are now in the big time via the playoffs.

Capture.thumb.JPG.1c46f100160965d99ad4b25d03e2023a.JPG

Nice.  Good luck staying up.

In what was predicted to be a relegation struggle, we've managed to reach #2 in the League1 at the mid-point of the season.  Only 7 points between the top spot and being out of the playoffs, so we've been up and down all season, but mostly bouncing around near the top end.

I may have to finally dip into the loan market.  I've got plenty of wage space and transfer money, but I can't seem to get any players better than what I have that will sign with me.  I did get Arsenal as my senior affiliate this season, so I'll check out their youth/leftovers/cast-offs for anything worthy.  Especially need help on defense.  And my star goalkeeper just went down for 3-4 months with a separated shoulder.  The club only has one keeper left.  Second half should be fun.

8 hours ago, jwchriste said:

Nice.  Good luck staying up.

In what was predicted to be a relegation struggle, we've managed to reach #2 in the League1 at the mid-point of the season.  Only 7 points between the top spot and being out of the playoffs, so we've been up and down all season, but mostly bouncing around near the top end.

I may have to finally dip into the loan market.  I've got plenty of wage space and transfer money, but I can't seem to get any players better than what I have that will sign with me.  I did get Arsenal as my senior affiliate this season, so I'll check out their youth/leftovers/cast-offs for anything worthy.  Especially need help on defense.  And my star goalkeeper just went down for 3-4 months with a separated shoulder.  The club only has one keeper left.  Second half should be fun.

Yes I have been finding it hard to bring in quality players too the last couple of seasons and have had to get players in on loan.

4 minutes ago, lionel messi said:

Stadium expansion plans announced and more expense.

Capture.thumb.JPG.1f1a918b1d122603cde61bde21ca5918.JPG

Before I started this save, I set the build date for my stadium to 2017.  I think this kept the game from building me another new stadium early on.  I've had three upgrades and am at 5750 (2750 seats).  This season my average attendance is around 3300.  I shouldn't need a new/expanded stadium for the Championship, so I hope that when I get to the Premier League, the required expansion will coincide with the board's decision to build a new stadium.  I wonder how much more that will cost me?

League 1:

image.thumb.png.a1765b69d3816e4838d590d771731868.png

We were in 2nd place going into the last match of the season - and we drew.  Slid to 3rd place and lost out on automatic promotion by a single point.  Then, we won in the semi-finals, but lost the league final.  Looks like League 1 all over again next season.

Everything was going really well until the January transfer window - I received an offer I couldn't refuse for my club's best player.  I took the deal and some of the lads weren't too impressed.  We struggled the rest of the season.

4 hours ago, jwchriste said:

League 1:

image.thumb.png.a1765b69d3816e4838d590d771731868.png

We were in 2nd place going into the last match of the season - and we drew.  Slid to 3rd place and lost out on automatic promotion by a single point.  Then, we won in the semi-finals, but lost the league final.  Looks like League 1 all over again next season.

Everything was going really well until the January transfer window - I received an offer I couldn't refuse for my club's best player.  I took the deal and some of the lads weren't too impressed.  We struggled the rest of the season.

So was that 18 straight promotions before hitting a bump? I expect you'll storm the division next time around though.

I've re-started this career three times now partly because I get bored with the lack of competition. This time I used the editor to put all my players on CA1 and they still win every game.

Archived