[FM17]Football in 1888 in 2017

Northernpilgrim

OK, so I'm back, and this time with something very, very different!

The Challenge

I've removed every single team from their current division in the English Leagues, and recreated the divisions as follows:

The Premier League has been reduced to 12 teams (as the Football League was in 1888-89), and the original 12 teams have been placed there instead, with Accrington Stanley replacing the original Accrington FC

59b1b74684f99_PL1888.thumb.PNG.634895ca99f153a53bd7f633ab1af2fc.PNG

I've then inserted every other team that has ever played in the English League (and still exists), in order of when they first appeared in the Football League, and put them into divisions of 24 for the Championship, Leagues 1 and 2, and the remaining 37 clubs go into the National League, as I couldn't find a way to create another division below it. Here are what the other divisions look like

59b1c008e0a31_CH1888.thumb.PNG.f524a23a0fd08e6f218bfaa85e2ff0aa.PNG

59b1b8e26d47a_L11888.thumb.PNG.f3ada772bc0917d58296ee400cfd4ea0.PNG

59b1b8ec4759c_L21888.thumb.PNG.940999f0b365d5ce0b52d573b36e54df.PNG59b1b8f433ae0_NL18881.thumb.PNG.9a99dffd43c4a161b192ea3481bf424e.PNG59b1b8f82fb47_NL18882.thumb.PNG.4277c58b97226cf668afa1062101c7b4.PNG

The Starting Point

59b1bb7276e85_Stokejob.thumb.PNG.f709808db1080665ac32a1ec02ae3896.PNG

and the challenge

The challenge is to win the Premier League before any of the teams that have done so in real life and are not current Premier League teams. 

NOTE: I have left all players where they are in real life, and haven't touched any club's finances at all. You'll notice both Manchester clubs in the Championship, as are Arsenal

Just now, Pompeyboyz said:

This is a very interesting challenge

Can't wait to see how it pans out

Thanks mate. I'm guessing I don't have long, although by having a 2 up, 2 down structure throughout the leagues (and no playoffs), I'm hoping I'll have a couple of seasons at least before there are too many big clubs around.

3 hours ago, andychar said:

Love this idea.

Even when the leagues are completely changed around Mansfield Town still get shafted!

Thanks andychar, and sorry. I genuinely hasd no idea who would end up where when I started, but there are certainly going to be some interesting developments if this goes on a few seasons, as only two go up from the Championship (there are no playoffs as they didn't exist, and I couldn't replicate the bottom 4 having to apply for re-election, so settled on 2 up 2 down all the way through). I've also realised that I haven't set any league sorting rules, so I'm not sure what happens if teams finish level on points.

5 minutes ago, Lenzar said:

Interesting to see Preston struggle given they won it IRL!

Indeed. Given that of the 12 teams there are 4 who are actual current PL teams, you'd expect those 4 to be the top clubs (which 3 of them are). I'd have expected Accrington and Notts County to be cut adrift, but they're not, and Accrington could stay up.

So a intersting challenge to say the least. I had a similiar idea in FM15 when I was creating a database that replicated 1953. But what was different was that my database was an alternate 1953 not OTL like this one.

Of course a problem is the fact of Champion League action as that didn't happen in 1888.

25 minutes ago, Nutzilla said:

This is brilliant

is hard to make though because i want to play like this for fun

how you make this leauges

I've uploaded the League structure to the Editors Hideaway forum, and here is a link if you want to try it

https://community.sigames.com/topic/408146-football-league-1888/

Just place the file in the FM17 folder called 'Editor Data', start a new save and it should work

On 9/10/2017 at 11:40, Maw74 said:

Interesting save but 72 games in the National  League :eek:,  Poor Scarborough couldn't even notch up a single win. :lol:

Only because I couldn't figure out how to make multiple leagues run at National League level, and I didn't want them running at different levels on the league pyramid. If anyone can solve it they're welcome to access the file in the Editors Hideaway (see link above) and play about with it. I also hadn't realised when I started that the transfer window rules didn't copy over, so players can be bought and sold whenever (which ironically is realistic as this was true in 1888), and also no TV deal, so there isn't mega money in the game.

On 9/10/2017 at 16:18, Dexter_Morgan said:

Brilliant concept i'll be following this, I take it the bigger clubs ended up losing a lot of players due to the lower divisions? :D 

Man Utd lost one player, Valencia. Arsenal have been hit rather harder. It'll be interesting to see how they both do in the top flight next season. Man City have only lost Toure despite not going up, Liverpool lost Can and Origi, Chelsea lost Alonso and Costa while they won League 1, Tottenham lost Davies and Dembele but added Origi and Callum Wilson which helped them get promoted with Chelsea. Both will be expecting back-to-back promotions.

1 hour ago, Northernpilgrim said:

Only because I couldn't figure out how to make multiple leagues run at National League level, and I didn't want them running at different levels on the league pyramid. If anyone can solve it they're welcome to access the file in the Editors Hideaway (see link above) and play about with it. I also hadn't realised when I started that the transfer window rules didn't copy over, so players can be bought and sold whenever (which ironically is realistic as this was true in 1888), and also no TV deal, so there isn't mega money in the game.

Could you set it so each team plays each once, that'd be a reasonable 36 games, though the home/away thing would be a whole other thing, but there are leagues that play 3 games that have odd numbers of home games.

It doesn't look likely we'll win the League this year, which means we need Everton to retain the title if the challenge is to go into a third season. With Chelsea and Leicester leading the way in the Championship, next season is set to be even tougher if it's even still doable by then.

Archived