The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From SkySports

Cardiff City have denied they are interested in Scottish midfielders Peter Leven and Gavin Rae.

Reports had linked The Bluebirds with the two players who are both out-of-contract following the end of the Scottish season.

However, chairman Peter Ridsdale has now dismissed talk of Kilmarnock's Under 21 international Leven or Rangers' Rae moving to Ninian Park.

"There is absolutely nothing in these rumours about those players being tracked by Cardiff City," said Ridsdale.

I guess this is the month of the year where theres practically No transfer activity. icon_frown.gif

From the Herald online:

Hearts last night defended a 30% rise in ticket prices that will be imposed on supporters of the Old Firm and Hibernian at Tynecastle next season.

Fans of Celtic, Rangers and Hibs will have to part with £33 to watch their team in the centre of the upper section of the Roseburn Stand, a jump of £8 from the last campaign.

Supporters in the other areas of the stand will be charged £27, an increase of £7 on last season, for Category A' matches. Opposing fans outside the Old Firm and Hibs will pay between £17 and £22 for Category B' games in the Roseburn Stand.

Hibs fans have reacted with disbelief to the price increase, claiming Vladimir Romanov, the Hearts owner, is merely lining his pockets. But the club have defended the price hike in light of the planned redevelopment of the Tynecastle main stand in the coming campaign.

"We reviewed the pricing of match-day tickets at some length prior to any increases," said a Hearts spokesman.

"It's really all about supply and demand and we have to be commercially aware. Demand for tickets for Hearts versus Hibs at Tynecastle outstrips supply."

Hibs travel to Tynecastle on the opening day of the season and Dave Kowalski, a spokesman for fans website Hibs.net, said yesterday: "Thirty-three pounds is an outrageous price. I've not heard about an organised Hibs boycott, but if there was one, Hearts would deserve to lose money."

If anyone gets a ticket for Tynecastle next season, don't take it.

• SI Staff

With my mate now living in Edinburgh a few of us were going to go to a Hibs / Hearts v Rangers game then go for a night oot.

Easter Road it is then!

• SI Staff

Well, with the draw for the Champions League First and Second Qualifying Rounds just around the corner on 29th June, here are the teams we could be drawn against in the 2nd/3rd Qual Rounds...

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Seeded teams coef. Unseeded teams coef.

------------------------ --- ---------------- ------------------------ --- ----------------

Dinamo Zagreb Cro 17.533 BATE Borisov Bls 1.540

APOEL Nicosia Cyp 6.492 SK Tirana Alb 1.265

NK Domzale Slo 5.272 Levadia Tallinn Est 1.210

IF Elfsborg Swe 4.478 Pyunik Yerevan Arm 1.155

FK Sarajevo Bos 4.190 Khazar Lenkoran Azb 1.045

FK Ventspils Lat 3.860 FK Astana Kaz 0.770

MSK Zilina Svk 3.575 Linfield Belfast Nir 0.715

Derry City Irl 3.145 The New Saints Wal 0.660

FH Hafnarfjardar Isl 2.650 HB Torshavn Far 0.550

FBK Kaunas Lit 2.420 F91 Dudelange Lux 0.550

Tampere United Fin 2.420 Marsaxlokk Mlt 0.550

Sheriff Tiraspol Mol 2.365 Ràngers FC And 0.000

Olimpi Rustavi Geo 2.035 Murata Sma 0.000

Pobeda Prilep Mac 1.925 Zeta Golubovci Mon 0.000</pre>

2nd Qual Round

------------------------ --- ---------------- ------------------------ --- ----------------

Steaua Bucuresti Rom 55.255 Beitar Jerusalem Isr 6.338

Glasgow Rangers Sco 47.064 Zaglebie Lubin Pol 5.609

Shakhtar Donetsk Ukr 44.726 NK Domzale * Slo 5.272

Besiktas Tur 43.791 IF Elfsborg * Swe 4.478

Levski Sofia Bul 38.112 FK Sarajevo * Bos 4.190

Slavia Praha Cze 32.851 FK Ventspils * Lat 3.860

Rosenborg BK Nor 31.509 MSK Zilina * Svk 3.575

Red Star Belgrade Srb 19.256 Derry City * Irl 3.145

FC København Den 19.129 FH Hafnarfjardar * Isl 2.650

Dinamo Zagreb * Cro 17.533 FBK Kaunas * Lit 2.420

Racing Genk Bel 15.594 Tampere United * Fin 2.420

DVSC Debrecen *** 11.675 Sheriff Tiraspol * Mol 2.365

FC Salzburg Aut 9.104 Olimpi Rustavi * Geo 2.035

APOEL Nicosia * Cyp 6.492 Pobeda Prilep * Mac 1.925

* assumed qualifier from 1st round</pre>

3rd Qual Round

Liverpool Eng 112.618 Sparta Praha Cze 37.851

Arsenal Eng 104.618 Fenerbahçe Tur 36.791

Valencia Esp 99.374 AEK Athens Gre 36.415

Sevilla Esp 87.374 Dinamo Bucuresti Rom 34.255

Benfica Por 67.107 Slavia Praha ** Cze 32.851

Ajax Ned 65.995 Rosenborg BK ** Nor 31.509

Werder Bremen Ger 63.640 Spartak Moscow Rus 27.920

Celtic Sco 62.064 Red Star Belgrade ** Srb 19.256

Steaua Bucuresti ** Rom 55.255 FC København ** Den 19.129

Lazio Roma Ita 51.808 Toulouse FC Fra 17.706

Glasgow Rangers ** Sco 47.064 Dinamo Zagreb * Cro 17.533

Shakhtar Donetsk ** Ukr 44.726 Racing Genk ** Bel 15.594

Besiktas ** Tur 43.791 DVSC Debrecen ** *** 11.675

Anderlecht Bel 41.594 FC Zürich Sui 9.869

Dinamo Kiev Ukr 38.726 FC Salzburg ** Aut 9.104

Levski Sofia ** Bul 38.112 APOEL Nicosia * Cyp 6.492

* assumed qualifier from 1st round

** assumed qualifier from 2nd round</pre>

Anyone above Racing Genk could cause us problems in the 3rd round. We are in desperate need of very good first 11 players.

I'm fully expecting to be dissapointed come the start of the season. Espeially if the rumours about Lee McCulloch are true. icon_frown.gif

Seems you lot will be signing Beasley and possibly another winger (Julien Faubert).

Should theoretically give you plenty of width and pace down the flanks next season.

Interesting that the reported fee for Faubert is about £4.4 million, which you wouldn't pay for Brown.

Murray smoke and mirrors club probably, but because it's not from the Record and it's L'Equipe - who knows

doubt it's true though, us linked with a good player and paying that amount of money, maybe if it was 400k possibly

• SI Staff

He said a few days ago that he's staying to fight for his place, but the manager said if he gets a good offer for him then he'll take it.

He's had more than enough chances to prove himself and apart from one good spell has been pretty poor overall.

Originally posted by buffalo:

any news on Buffel? I heard he was linked with Bolton, but that's it ...

probably still where he's been the last few years....

hiding icon_frown.gif

I see FF is going mad over the fact that Celtic are going to pay Donati 57k a week? icon_biggrin.gif that would be absolutely hilarious if true, especially as Lennon and the legend that was Larsson got nowhere near that

almost makes me wish more for them to get knocked out of the CL, even if it happened to us as well - mon the serious debt icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Ter:

He said a few days ago that he's staying to fight for his place, but the manager said if he gets a good offer for him then he'll take it.

He's had more than enough chances to prove himself and apart from one good spell has been pretty poor overall.

I get the impression he hasn't evolved the way he could/should have, maybe because of injuries?

anyway I always felt the Scottish league wasn't the best choice for him

should've gone to Spain or stayed in Holland

nothing to do with the league, he's been played in his preferred position, he just lacks the effort and takes the money on hand

I hope somebody like Bolton could come in and give us a mil for him, might actually make his signing worth it, even if we did pay £2.3m

Originally posted by Mr Nice:

57K a week, what a lot of pish

I expect it probably is, but ANSA the Italian News Agency are reporting it, so at least it's not Traynor or Guidi or even wee Chick

Originally posted by TM:

mon the serious debt icon_cool.gif

You don't need to worry about that. We'll be totally screwed when we need to rebuild our stadium in about 5 years time cos Fungus McSquint built it for 40p.

It looks fantastic once you're inside (as you may know) but it's just a green & white tin can.

Sadly, I have to admit that Ibrox is a much higher quality of building, though the corners still look rubbish.

Was surprised to hear that you guys were shelling out £4.4m though, quite a dramatic change in your transfer policy from the last couple of seasons. A positive sign to see a young French international (of sorts) coming to play in Scotland. icon14.gif

Beasley and particularly Faubert would be very interesting signings...

Faubert is a lot of money but would give us a higher quality player for the right of midfield whilst also allowing cover for Hutton. Whittaker has been strongly linked for that role but perhaps the Frenchman is worth the extral lolly.

The left of midfield has been a problem since Gio/Albertz left. Adam had a decent season and his stats shouldn't be ignored. However, we certainly need competition for that area and I'd much prefer Beasley to the likes of McCulloch.

It's going to be an interesting few days by the looks it it. Celtic have thrown down the gauntlet with some good signings. Time for us to answer strongly. Faubert is exactly the kind of riposte were after but I'll wait until he's wearing the new away strip before actually getting excited...

icon_smile.gif

Wont it seem strange that after all our "paltry" offers e.g. naismith £400k, mcculloch £750k! that suddenly we can find 4.3 million for a french winger we havnt heard of before? I still would loves us to get healy though...

Bordeaux want big money for Julien

Bordeaux have told Rangers and Tottenham they want at least £10million for highly-rated midfielder Julien Faubert.

The 23-year-old's agent Philippe Sol revealed on Sunday that both clubs were interested in the France international, with Gers boss Walter Smith reported to be willing to shell out £5 million.

But Bordeaux chairman Jean-Louis Triaud insists he wants Faubert to stay - and even if he were to go, his suitors will have to spend big.

He told the Daily Record: "We understand the agent has been very active but we don't want to sell him.

"And even if we did agree to sell, £5 million would be too low. We do not have a fixed price for him but it would have to be double the kind of money talked about."

Faubert has been a regular for Bordeaux since signing from Cannes in 2004 and scored on his debut for France against Bosnia last year.

Next transfer target please.

• SI Staff
Bordeaux have told Rangers and Tottenham they want at least £10million for highly-rated midfielder Julien Faubert

£10m icon_biggrin.gif

If we were even to pay £4m I would be shocked

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bordeaux have told Rangers and Tottenham they want at least £10million for highly-rated midfielder Julien Faubert

£10m icon_biggrin.gif

If we were even to pay £4m I would be shocked </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here icon_redface.gif

It's obviously just another rumour to keep us at bay until the superstars arrive in a few weeks. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bordeaux have told Rangers and Tottenham they want at least £10million for highly-rated midfielder Julien Faubert

£10m icon_biggrin.gif

If we were even to pay £4m I would be shocked </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The £4m is there, judging by our bid for Scott Brown.

Whether it's all used on one player depends on the quality we'd be getting for our money. If (hypothetically) a Kaka or Ronaldinho became available for £6m, I don't think Smith would hesitate in blowing the budget on such a quality player.

Originally posted by Frankie:

I'd be surprised if they had put that price tage on him... Darrell King's report in today's ET's is a decent summation of what more likely to be happening...

What was he saying?

Originally posted by wsm999:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

I'd be surprised if they had put that price tage on him... Darrell King's report in today's ET's is a decent summation of what more likely to be happening...

What was he saying? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

by Darrell King

DAMARCUS BEASLEY is expected in Glasgow within the next 48 hours to complete his £700,000 move to Rangers.

And the Ibrox club are actively pursuing their major target of the summer - Bordeaux midfielder Julien Faubert - despite claims the French club want £10million.

Ibrox boss Walter Smith arrived back from holiday last night and aims to close in on several targets over the next couple of weeks. His first-team squad reports back to Murray Park on Wednesday for pre-season training.

Beasley helped the USA retain the Gold Cup with a 2-1 win over Mexico in Chicago last night, and confirmed afterwards he was heading off to sign for his new club.

advertisementThe 25-year-old PSV Eindhoven left-winger was named in the Team of the Tournament, and he said: "My future has been sorted out and I know where I will be playing my football next season."

Meantime manager Smith has been tracking the player for some time, and Rangers hope to unveil him later this week.

Despite claims that moves for Osasuna's Carlos Cuellar and Wigan's Lee McCulloch are dead, sources insist they are still in talks with both clubs.

Personal terms have been agreed with the agents of the Spanish defender and the Scotland internationalist.

But, as of yet, Rangers have been unable to reach agreements over the fees. Osasuna want more than £2m for Cuellar, while Wigan want £2.5m for McCulloch.

A loan deal until January is also being looked at again for Andy Webster until his fee is sorted out.

The capture of Faubert would be a massive coup, and would signal Rangers biggest splash into the transfer market since they signed Mikel Arteta from Barcelona for just under £6m five years ago.

Faubert, 23, has been capped twice for France and Smith is prepared to pay in the region of £4.5m for the player who is also being tracked by Roma.

Rangers have been in dialogue with the player's agents, one of whom is the Italian Vincenzo Morabito, a close friend of chairman David Murray.

Bordeaux chairman Jean-Louis Triaud is adamant his new manager, Laurent Blanc, wants to keep Faubert.

The player and his agents will hold talks in the next 24 hours with the hierarchy to demand he is allowed to leave.

They will point to the figures currently being splashed in France for similar players as a fair barometer - big spending Lyon have just paid Lille £5m for Mathieu Bodmer.

And Bordeaux themselves are looking for £5.5m for France Under-21 skipper Rio Mavuba - a player they rate more highly than Faubert, who has tried to quit Bordeaux in the past two transfer windows.

It would be interesting if we got Beasley, Cuellar and Faubert because I think the rest of the lads would raise their game playing with some better players. It could only benefit the likes of Smith, Hutton, MacGregor and Thomson having top players around them. I still think we need a proper playmaker though. I'd rather see Walter spend 6-7 million on 3/4 players than on 7/8 definitaly.

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

Yeah getting Faubert, Beasley, Naismith & Celleur in along with those already signed and the better players from last term and we've got a reasonable crack at the title icon14.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

McGregor

Hutton Weir Svensson Smith

Hemdani

Ferguson Thomson

Faubert Beasley

Sebo

</pre>

That's a title winning side right there.

Archived