Editing the Dynamic Ads

jeff roberts

Hi Guys

I have been playing around making some dynamic ad boards for FM 17.

They are getting better and better. Unfortunately, the only way I have been able to get them to work is by renaming them with the default names in the Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2017\data\sigfx\videos\hd\video_ads\default folder.

Feel free to try them out, they are already in .ivf format so you just have to paste them into the folder and rename. If anyone can figure out the coding and a better way to get them into the game I would be very grateful if they could let us know. I'm a bit sick of the default ads.

You can view them using MPC-HC if you are using Win 10

FM video ads.zip

There should be some ad pack threads from previous versions around if you have a look at them they should point you in the right direction regarding how to edit the coding, as the code doesn't seem to have changed that much from last year (apart from the addition of the video ads).

What software are you using to create the new video ads in? I had a quick look around and couldn't find anything that liked the .ivf format.

No, the old ad packs won't work as they have completely re-done the code for it. I can't even figure out how the dynamic ads for Football Manager and Motosport Manager are appearing in the game.

I'm converting my animated .gifs using FFMpegTool. I also spent some time trying to figure out how to convert and this is the only way I have found so far.

You can view them, if you are using Win 10, in MPC-HC.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts as I appreciate the help.

51 minutes ago, jeff roberts said:

No, the old ad packs won't work as they have completely re-done the code for it. I can't even figure out how the dynamic ads for Football Manager and Motosport Manager are appearing in the game.

I'm converting my animated .gifs using FFMpegTool. I also spent some time trying to figure out how to convert and this is the only way I have found so far.

You can view them, if you are using Win 10, in MPC-HC.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts as I appreciate the help.

The Sortitoutsi ad pack works fine with FM17, they're just not fully animated.

The only thing you need to do differently for video ads is change the path in the xml file so it looks something like this:

<record id="<UNIQUE_NUMBER>" path="video_ads/<FOLDER>/<FILENAME>" animated="true" />

Though they seem to be fairly limited.

- The video files need to be in the \data\sigfx\videos\hd\video_ads\ folder with the others (not sure when SD or HD get called) though they can go in their own subfolder which is the <FOLDER> path above.

- Only one will display at a time, repeating across the ground - no idea if the game rotates them through different matches if you assign more than one, as there are several team/comp specific default video ads so they most rotate somehow.

- Video ads will also override the picture ones so you cannot combine them.

- They also only display at clubs that have the LED adboards.

11 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

The only thing you need to do differently for video ads is change the path in the xml file so it looks something like this:

<record id="<UNIQUE_NUMBER>" path="video_ads/<FOLDER>/<FILENAME>" animated="true" />

- The video files need to be in the \data\sigfx\videos\hd\video_ads\ folder with the others (not sure when SD or HD get called) though they can go in their own subfolder which is the <FOLDER> path above.

- Only one will display at a time, repeating across the ground - no idea if the game rotates them through different matches if you assign more than one, as there are several team/comp specific default video ads so they most rotate somehow.

following the above I have been able to add new animated LED boards, however I have noticed the following piece of code in the fm17 ads.xml file

</list>
  <!-- This allows/deny LED digital ads for teams and competition. If a team/competition isn't found in this list -->
  <!-- it's going to be code driven based on club reputation, stadium size and nation level of developement -->
  <!-- Nation is supported as well. -->
  <list id="digital_ads_usage_filter">
    <record type="competition">
      <!-- All English Premier League matches have to use LED -->
      <record id="45" led_force_flag="true" />
    </record>
    <record type="team" />
    <record type="nation" />
  </list>
</record>

This states that LED adboards are assigned based on club reputations, stadium size and nation level of development, however it also suggests that clubs/competitions/nations can be assigned LED adboards in the xml file. I've tried a few different variations of the code and have yet to get LED adboards to display for a club not meeting the above criteria.

16 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Ok, what .XML file? I can't find any relevant .xml file. I can find the ads.FMF file, which when altered makes no difference, and a I can find a .DS_STORE file but no XML file.

Where should this be located?

Well that was a bit of a disaster as there seem to be ads.FMF files in each update folder.

I have tried modifying them but that did not help. Downloaded the FM 16 ad boards, as suggested, that also failed to work. May be something different in the file structure when using Steam.

So I guess I'll just continue to use re-name my files with the default names until I get a better option.

In the meantime I have updated a couple of my dynamic ad boards as they did not seem to have the timings right. Feel free to use them and let me know how you get on. If you haven't guessed they are for the German leagues as I'm currently playing with my create a team, Kruezberg FC.

FM Dynamic Ads.zip

1 hour ago, jeff roberts said:

Well that was a bit of a disaster as there seem to be ads.FMF files in each update folder.

I have tried modifying them but that did not help. Downloaded the FM 16 ad boards, as suggested, that also failed to work. May be something different in the file structure when using Steam.

So I guess I'll just continue to use re-name my files with the default names until I get a better option.

In the meantime I have updated a couple of my dynamic ad boards as they did not seem to have the timings right. Feel free to use them and let me know how you get on. If you haven't guessed they are for the German leagues as I'm currently playing with my create a team, Kruezberg FC.

FM Dynamic Ads.zip

If you let me know what leagues/cups you want these adboards to show in I'll do the xml file for you

1 hour ago, rabcp said:

If you let me know what leagues/cups you want these adboards to show in I'll do the xml file for you

Hi Rabcp, Bundesliga and 2.Bundesliga are what I need. I have replaced Stuttgart with my Create-A-team, Kruezberg FC. We have won 2. Bundesliga and are now leading the Bundesliga after 11 games, but we are starting to slip.

I'd be very grateful if you can provide a working .xml file. Let me know if you need anything from my end.

12 hours ago, jeff roberts said:

Hi Rabcp, Bundesliga and 2.Bundesliga are what I need. I have replaced Stuttgart with my Create-A-team, Kruezberg FC. We have won 2. Bundesliga and are now leading the Bundesliga after 11 games, but we are starting to slip.

I'd be very grateful if you can provide a working .xml file. Let me know if you need anything from my end.

First of all create the following directory and paste your video ads into the 'ger' folder

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2017\data\sigfx\videos\hd\video_ads\ger

Then place the fm.xml into this directory

C:\Users\user\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2017\ads

fm.xml

11 hours ago, rabcp said:

First of all create the following directory and paste your video ads into the 'ger' folder

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2017\data\sigfx\videos\hd\video_ads\ger

Then place the fm.xml into this directory

C:\Users\user\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2017\ads

fm.xml

It works brilliant!! Thank you for working that out for me. Now I can get on creating a few more dynamic ads

Guys, I need a bit of help, before trying to apply the results of my experiment with creating .ivf files:

• can video ad boards be used with any club, by simply adding the piece of code into the .xml file?
  • if not, what should I do to activate LED ad boards for particular club (club in Serbian Super League, for instance)?
  • If I understand correctly, using video ad boards, I will not be able to see other ad boards set for particular club/league?

Thanks for all the assistance.

Video ads will only show on LED boards, and will overwrite the picture ads, and whilst there is code at the bottom of the file to assign LED boards to certain comps/nations/clubs it doesn't seem to work. (Possible it might only take affect in new save games or at the start of a new season or after a stadium expansion or the  league might need to have a high enough reputation, as I'm not sure when the game sets what ad board type is used).

If you mean the standard picture ones then yes they display on both the static and LED adboards, if you mean the new video ads then they'll only display on the LED boards. However it should be possible to assign both picture and video ads to a team and when they use the static boards they will display the pictures, but once they get promoted into a league that uses the LED boards they should then switch to using the video ads.

• 1 month later...
On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:02, Lewesrook said:

Have we had any more joy on making any more? I have noticed that PES & FIFA also has video ad boards. I do not know if there can be used or not?

Hi Lewesrook, here are the latest ones I have done. Includes EPL, Champions League, FA Cup and a whole load of others. Please make sure you credit me if using them somewhere else etc.

Feedback welcome.

English.zip

European.zip

Misc 1.zip

Misc 2.zip

MIsc 3.zip

The ones on sortitout work but they just show up as they have in previous versions.FM 17 is now set up using led ad boards as jeff roberts (few posts up) has made the coding is different in FM17 you now have to use dds files not png i think Michaeltmurryuk was going to find out.If you read the op Jeff Roberts explains better.

23 hours ago, handy500 said:

The ones on sortitout work but they just show up as they have in previous versions.FM 17 is now set up using led ad boards as jeff roberts (few posts up) has made the coding is different in FM17 you now have to use dds files not png i think Michaeltmurryuk was going to find out.If you read the op Jeff Roberts explains better.

You're not saying anything we don't know. As matters stand the sortiout pack provides the widest variety, so I and others will be sticking with it.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Doddo04 said:

@jeff roberts

can you make for me Bayern Munich adboards Telekom and so on?

For know i did all like wrighted above but the files dont show ingame. Must i start a new game? Must i rename the files? Please help me.

Actually I already have the graphics from some fella using another football game, which will remain nameless. I just have to get around to animating them.

As for your coding, if you use the fm file by rabcp and edit that they should work

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 08:26, Doddo04 said:

@jeff roberts

can you make for me Bayern Munich adboards Telekom and so on?

For know i did all like wrighted above but the files dont show ingame. Must i start a new game? Must i rename the files? Please help me.

@Doddo04

Bayern and Telekom dynamic adboards done. Also Jack Wolfskin which I had done for myself.

bayern.ivf

telekom.ivf

wolfskin.ivf

On 05/01/2017 at 19:19, handy500 said:

Old packs using png files should still work, you will just be left with the old static adboards instead of the new video ones.

Yep already know that but we need to know now what we use instead.Jeff roberts has done some that we can use but we have to name them as the ones in the default folder and partner folder.What we want to know is how can we create them so we have more in game so we just don't have 10 from the two folders .

On Sunday, January 01, 2017 at 07:27, jeff roberts said:

Hi Lewesrook, here are the latest ones I have done. Includes EPL, Champions League, FA Cup and a whole load of others. Please make sure you credit me if using them somewhere else etc.

Feedback welcome.

English.zip

European.zip

Misc 1.zip

Misc 2.zip

MIsc 3.zip

Are these the led add boards .

If so can u plz let me know where to install them to get them to work 

3 hours ago, handy500 said:

Yep already know that but we need to know now what we use instead.Jeff roberts has done some that we can use but we have to name them as the ones in the default folder and partner folder.What we want to know is how can we create them so we have more in game so we just don't have 10 from the two folders .

The instructions are in the first few posts of the thread.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi mate i would like to know what software do you use to convert the video files to ivf files, I have done some video adboards for the portuguese league in AVI and mp4 format but then I don't find on the internet any video converter to do the ivf file.

Thanks in advance

On ‎3‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 09:10, SLB-Dark-Angel said:

Hi mate i would like to know what software do you use to convert the video files to ivf files, I have done some video adboards for the portuguese league in AVI and mp4 format but then I don't find on the internet any video converter to do the ivf file.

Thanks in advance

See the 3rd post

On 06/04/2017 at 13:52, jeff roberts said:

See the 3rd post

Thanks

Working with ffmpeg give me this error when trying to convert:

"[ivf @ 00000000025f5280] Currently only VP8 and VP9 are supported!
av_interleaved_write_frame(): Invalid argument
Error writing trailer of slb.ivf: Invalid argument"

I've found a (free) program that will actually output ivf files that can be read by FM: http://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/download.html

Create your video file in whatever program you use to create videos, then import it into xmedia and in the output box just scroll until you find IVF option in the format box and then encode you shouldn't need to change any other settings and it should be readable by the game.

Alright I didn't try a gif - My method is are rather roundabout one - first create png file with photoshop for each different one I want like I'd do with the static ones, I then load them into Windows Movie Maker as it has a decent amount of transitions to pick from and save as an mp4 file, then load that into xmedia and crop it and re-encode as an ivf file, but I haven't quite got the dimensions right yet as they get cut off in the matches (the default ones seem to come with various different dimensions), but I have only done one or two as the team I play as has only just got promoted into a league where the other sides use the LED adboards.

I've also noticed that is actually now possible to get the static adboards to rotate if the club has LED boards (in previous versions they would just rotate back to the same image), however I'm not quite sure what controls it as best as I can work out it only works for ads you have set to show in a certain position which doesn't make it all that practical as you'd need to give each board it's own id.

On 16/04/2017 at 12:49, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Alright I didn't try a gif - My method is are rather roundabout one - first create png file with photoshop for each different one I want like I'd do with the static ones, I then load them into Windows Movie Maker as it has a decent amount of transitions to pick from and save as an mp4 file, then load that into xmedia and crop it and re-encode as an ivf file, but I haven't quite got the dimensions right yet as they get cut off in the matches (the default ones seem to come with various different dimensions), but I have only done one or two as the team I play as has only just got promoted into a league where the other sides use the LED adboards.

I've also noticed that is actually now possible to get the static adboards to rotate if the club has LED boards (in previous versions they would just rotate back to the same image), however I'm not quite sure what controls it as best as I can work out it only works for ads you have set to show in a certain position which doesn't make it all that practical as you'd need to give each board it's own id.

Best dimensions to use are 2816x88, this will repeat the add twice behind the goal and 3 times along the whole side of pitch

• 3 months later...
On 16/04/2017 at 12:49, michaeltmurrayuk said:

@michaeltmurrayuk how did you manage this can you post an example of the xml please?

17 minutes ago, rabcp said:

@michaeltmurrayuk how did you manage this can you post an example of the xml please?

Locate this section of code in the xml file:

<record id="135" edge_type="0" edge_index="1" />

And that allows you to assign the adboard to appear in a certain place - id is the id of the adboard, index assigns it to the position starting from the dugout, 1 is the first one after the dugout, 2 is the next onwards, negative numbers assign them to the other side of the dugout, not sure what type does (possibly sets whether it's pitch side or in the stands?). Each board can only be assigned to one position, so if you want the same image to appear in more than one place you'd need to give it another id.

If you have an adboard assigned to a set postion and one not for the same comp then they should rotate, though I didn't test this fully so something else might control it so you might need to play around with the various commands in the file. (aslo when editing the adboard you need to exit and restart the game instead of just reloading the skin).

Archived