[FM17] The Hart Chronicles - Volume II: Adam Hart is 'Yes Man'!

PaulHartman71

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Season 17: Port Talbot Town

b5786f5b81202e1e9df273da39f55d34.png

I would've liked to have finished 7th, but I think I more or less made the best of what had been a slightly disappointing season for Port Talbot. Hopefully we can move onwards and upwards next year. 

Squad

Carl Pockett ended the season as top scorer with 13 goals in 26 games. He's a young lad who came through the Academy at Port Talbot and should get better with time.

Career History

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season     Club                 Division                               Position      Achievements/Other
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League          8th         Eastern Counties League Cup winners
2017/18    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League         11th         Left in November
2017/18    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         13th         N/A
2018/19    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         10th         Left in December 
2018/19    Carlton Town         United Counties Premier League           8th         United Counties League Cup runners-up. Sacked. 
2019/20    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                      3rd         Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy winners
2020/21    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                     17th         Left in November 
2020/21    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   11th         N/A
2021/22    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   17th         Left in December
2021/22    Swindon Supermarine  Southern League 1st Division S/W        13th         N/A
2022/23    Swindon Supermarine  Southern League 1st Division S/W        18th         Left in January
2022/23    Trafford FC          Northern Premier League 1st Division N   7th         N/A
2023/24    Trafford FC          Northern Premier League 1st Division N  11th         Sacked in November
2023/24    Hythe Town           Isthmian League 1st Division S          12th         Joined in January
2024/25    Hythe Town           Isthmian League 1st Division S           3rd         Left in March
2024/25    Canvey Island        Isthmian League Premier Division        23rd         Relegated 
2025/26    Canvey Island        Isthmian League 1st Division N          23rd         Sacked in November
2025/26    Farsley Celtic       Northern Premier League 1st Division N  11th         Joined in January
2026/27    Farsley Celtic       Northern Premier League 1st Division N   5th         Left in March
2026/27    Stourbridge          Northern League Premier Division        21st         Relegated
2027/28    Stourbridge          Southern League 1st Division C           5th         Promoted via Playoffs 
2028/29    Stourbridge          Southern League Premier Division        15th         Left in November
2028/29    Lancaster City       Northern League Premier Division        21st         Relegeted. Sacked. 
2029/30    Southport            Northern League Premier Division        14th         N/A
2030/31    Southport            Northern League Premier Division         5th         Left in April 
2030/31    Port Vale            Northern League Premier Division         3rd         Lost in Playoff Final
2031/32    Port Vale            Northern League Premier Division         2nd         Lost in Playoff Final
2032/33    Port Vale            Northern League Premier Division         6th         Left in January 
2032/33    Port Talbot Town     Welsh Premier League                     8th         N/A

Trophy Cabinet

Eastern Counties League Cup    x1 - 2016/17 (Ipswich Wanderers) 
Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy x1 - 2019/20 (Basildon United) 

Allegri's Arsenal slipped to a Wenger-style 4th place finish this year in the Premier League, in a season which saw Leonardo Jardim leading Manchester City to their first title in 9 years, with Man United and Chelsea making up the top 4. Huddersfield Town finished rock bottom and went straight back down to the Championship, with the new boys picking up one of the Premier League's worst ever points totals of just 16 points. 

760b4935bda89309764946bd9351194f.png

Meanwhile in the Champions League, we saw a United/PSG final for an incredible 3rd year in a row, with Mourinho's men once again besting PSG in the final. United have now won 6 of the last 10 Champions Leagues. At 70 years old, Jose Mourinho is now just 1 Champions League win away from 10 of them, perhaps he will win it again next year and retire after that.

Doncaster Rovers nearly made it straight back to the top flight, but they lost in the Playoff Final to Watford, who joined Crystal Palace and Hull in going up. Barnet won League 2 to get promoted to League 1 for the first time, with Yeovil also joining them after a difficult few decades away from the top end of the Football League. 

Radcliffe Boro continued their impressive rise since the start of the save, they started it in the 8th tier but have just won the Conference to get promoted to the Football League for the first time. They're joined by Shrewsbury Town who beat Charlton in the Playoff Final to see which team would return to league football. It was a season to forget for Chesterfield and Torquay fans, as their teams both dropped out of the Conference. 

Bury Town won the Conference North to make it to the Conference for the first time, whilst in the Conference South, Erith & Belvedere, who started the game in the County Leagues, came a penalty shoot-out away from making the Conference themselves. 

Edited by PaulHartman71

August

7c61b8112caab101d6ccfc0fe1ce2136.png

We got newly promoted Llandudno in the Nathaniel MG Cup. They really weren't up too much at all, I'm not sure if it was us playing well or them being awful, but we won 4-1 to progress. 

d751884e1d6dfe27c014c5ed58f2a98b.png

A decent start to the season with a 0-0 draw at home to Newtown, before a 3-1 win at Bangor City. 

57b84b53bbc83f903d3eba19fc470343.png

So far so good as we're sitting pretty in 2nd place :cool:

September

05bdfdf8bef238eb4892a17e8c6d00da.png

A big win against Haverfordwest in the Nathaniel MG Cup, with Chris Pennock picking up a brace. There's not many teams in this competition, so by winning this game we're already in the Semi Final. 

f5555390d65a5eb33dc294480a229f0f.png

We continued our relatively good start to the season with 2 wins, 2 draws and a loss this month. We had a very exciting match with Carmarthen which saw 7 goal scored, thankfully we ended up on the winning side thanks to Joel Foster's 69th minute header. We lost our first game of the season to TNS, which was not a game I really expected to get much from, I think the scoreline flattered us a bit as despite it being 1-0 we were never really in the match aside from a half chance towards the end. We did manage to beat Barry 2-0 after that, although they had a man sent off in the first half which definitely helped us out. Haverfordwest nearly got revenge on us for their cup exit at the start of the month, but in-form Chris Pennock's late equaliser saved us. Pennock already has 7 goals this season which is the same amount of goals he managed all of last season. 

84bd1ea3d93aabddc34bfab9fb5e5210.png

We're still as high as 3rd which is pretty nice, although I'm not getting too carried away as the table is extremely tight. 

October

4999f92b2d784e6bcce35911b1d2c302.png

2 wins and 2 losses this month. A resounding victory over Llandudno who in all honesty are probably the worst team in the league. We had an off day against Prestatyn, I'm not sure what went wrong but they really pulled one over on us and fully deserved their win. We didn't look fantastic at Bala, but Jonathan Robinson's 79th minute volley was enough to give us the 3 points. I thought we'd managed to get back in the game and a point at Newtown when we equalised, but they found another goal late on to beat us and overtake us in the league in the process. 

e8df69967a584c1e0bebe80f7233f635.png

Despite the ropey form we still find ourselves in 2rd place, although we're only ahead of 2 of those on goal difference. There's only 11 games to go before the split though and we're only 2 points ahead of 7th, so we have to make sure we get through the reverse fixtures in one piece now. 

50173ac88275c589feae89328e7574d6.png

For a club that went into Administration last season, the board really don't seem too worried about how we're literally hemorrhaging money. The majority of the expenses this season has been on player and staff wages, but in my defence, I'm only £50p/w over my wage budget and I let my Director of Football hire and fire the staff so the staff wages are his problem not mine :D

My wage budget at Port Talbot is £9,715 p/w. For some perspective, at Port Vale it was closer to £12,000 p/w. 

On the subject of Port Vale, with 17 games played in the Northern League Premier Division they're actually in the relegation zone. Clearly missing me  :brock:

November

46bf4ef9bf54dbe508db927f04699014.png

We beat Haverfordwest in yet another cup competition, as we progressed through in the Welsh Cup this month. 

ece25632eace668aa465a8b42a14d90a.png

Our Nathaniel MG Cup run was put to an end by Afan Lido, who beat us 3-0 on the night to make the final at our expense. 

056f72897da5b60ff4b40dfe6dffa9b3.png

We started the month with a woeful loss at home to Bangor City. They're a team that are battling relegation but we made them look like world beaters. It was shocking. We almost lost at Connah's Quay too, but late goals from Carl Pockett and Chris Pennock turned the game around and gave us the win. We looked better against Carmarthen and got another 2-1 win in that one, before our 2nd 1-0 loss to TNS of the season. We again defended quite well but didn't offer much going forward. 

94a059ee75735e2077cbc9487911bfc5.png

7 games to go of the pre-split period and we're in 4th place. The table is tight but there's a nice 3 point gap between us and 7th place for now. TNS are running away with the title and pretty much already have it in the bag, but the other places around them are all up for grabs still. 

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

I've not followed this thread for a while so I'm shocked to find out you managed Stourbridge! How did you dare leave them for Lancaster City! Heresy!

It would be pretty funny for anyone from Stourbridge to be browsing these forums and find two threads about people managing them at some point :D 

December

eb9aabd0010d18d71c3d776e1b1f2375.png

A really poor month as we go into the latter stages of the pre-split. We got an okay draw at Barry but then lost to Haverfordwest, which is disappointing as they're a team we've beaten several times this season. We barely managed to get a win against struggling Llandudno, with Terry Hamilton coming off the bench to save our bacon. Afan Lido beat us in our last game of 2033, which also meant they went past us in the table. 

07987dff1b0b42aee5af5b4e53b9cdb7.png

We've got 3 games to go and we're in real danger of dropping down and finishing in the relegation league again. We have Afan Lido (H), Prestatyn (A) and Bala (H) to go. They're not the worst set of fixtures, but my worry is that we lose to Afan Lido again and Newtown win their game, which would pile huge pressure onto us going into those last few games. Losing to Prestatyn or Bala would be huge as well because they're not all that far away from us either, especially if they beat us in a 6 pointer. 

January (pre-split)

f5e6ef41f8d988172fbe196bab5eb094.png

We picked up 3 draws out of 3 in our remaining 3 matches, with the Prestatyn game especially being a very lucky escape with another late equaliser coming in that one. The Bala game really could've gone either way and was super open from the start, we were actually 3-1 up but managed to blow the lead late on in the 2nd half. 

Was it enough to secure passage into the big boy's league? 

2353c643a4642b3e0968fe214fd7a93b.png

Thankfully it just about was was, with our goal difference bailing us out in the end. It was so close and nervy in the Bala game though, as if they'd scored a late winner we'd have missed out. It must've been absolutely gutting for Barry since 4th-7th all ended on 31 points. 

Onwards and upwards though with the 10 remaining games. I think for the European places it is 1st who get CL, then 3 others get Europa League, but if the winner of the Welsh Cup isn't in the top 4, then this ends up being 2 places. So we probably need to finish 3rd to secure Europe next season, or just hope TNS romp the Welsh Cup like they are the league. We're 4 points behind 3rd at the minute though and haven't been in very good form lately so I'm not thaaaat optimistic, but Haverfordwest are above us and they're not thaaat good from the matches we've played with them, so there's every chance we could do it. 

January (post-split) 

d9f9567b8996b6b0661d1d2ffb53df4b.png

A nice and easy 2-0 win against the now 2nd tier Goytre United, who of course got relegated last season. We're now in the Quarter Final. 

07ec9708756f42eb023e6606b8a093ef.png

A hugely reassuring win against 2nd place Connah's Quay away from home. I was well pleased when we levelled early in the second half, but I certainly didn't expect us to go on and snatch a goal, let alone two. This was a really positive result and could be the catalyst we need to go on a good run of form. Although we have TNS next up, so I'm not getting too excited just yet!

3c0f510d278c1cbb9f3d53bacfccf9fb.png

Afan Lido and Newtown have games in hand on us, but we remain in 4th place with the win over Connah's Quay now meaning that 2nd place is only 2 points behind. 

10 minutes ago, Black and Yellow said:

Seems that TNS continue to have a stranglehold on the league, which may take some breaking!?

Tbf Afan Lido did pull off a surprise title win the season before last, but that seems more like a fluke than anything else now. Perhaps it was the kick up the backside TNS needed to get even stronger. They're not unbeatable as Connah's Quay and Newtown have both managed 1-0 wins against them, but they're definitely going to coast comfortably to the title this year barring something insane happening. 

February

c138d05825aee4f98848078fa992ef20.png

We got TNS in the Quarter Final of the Welsh Cup and unfortunately we couldn't match them. Fingers crossed they go on to win it though as that will mean nobody else gets a Europa League slot through it. 

bee634d7afe94fb2012f3e0be3f89b50.png

We lost to TNS in the league as well, with that defeat being a bit more embarrassing, although we did have a man sent off in the 60th minute which didn't help. We picked up a big 1-0 away win at Haverfordwest, before slumping to a 2-1 loss at home to Newtown, although again, we had a man sent off in that game, that time it was as early as the 25th minute. I've started fining players for red cards now as they're really costing us points and they're usually always really stupid tackles. We were quite lucky to get a draw with Afan Lido as we didn't create much apart from the penalty and our keeper actually saved a penalty they had too. 

0a0cd0f742cdf1243da73fdc74bcb93a.png

5 games to go and we're in 4th place, although Connah's Quay in 2nd are only 2 points behind, though Afan Lido in 5th are only 3 behind. Almost any time you win against one of these teams you can leap frog them in the process. 

March

13ea978f0d11902dfc4b5e4c4002d8f8.png

Just two games this month, with 3 points from the available 6. We didn't play all that well against Connah's Quay, but that has quickly been forgotten after the sensational victory against TNS away from home. An absolutely incredible result, made even better by the fact our first choice keeper broke his shoulder in the 6th minute, leaving our 18 year old backup to come on and make his debut. He did really well and kept us in it until Carl Pockett popped up with a glancing header to give us the lead late on, which we managed to hold onto to secure a famous victory. 

0489d80e1e65380ba63bbce2a5b30e63.png

With 3 games to go, Connah's Quay are probably out of reach in 2nd place, but we're currently in 3rd place and hopefully we can hold onto it. 

We have Afan Lido (A), Haverfordwest (H) and Newtown (A) to go, which isn't an easy run with 2 of them being away, but hopefully we can do it. 

April

0829a9331947a5f18a7b445a850e8057.png

1 win, 1 loss this month. A great performance at Afan Lido saw us pick up a vital away win, although against Haverfordwest, in what was arguably a much simpler game, we bottled it and lost 2-1. 

a066c9acdd7b809eac8e0122ac26f561.png

1 game to go. Newtown away which will decide who ends up 3rd. It's all to play for. TNS are out of the FA Cup, with Newtown themselves and Bala in the final. I think if we come 4th but Newtown win the cup, then we might actually still qualify for Europe. 

Oh ****! So Newtown won the Welsh Cup on penalties and for some ****ed up reason this now means that if we want Europe we have to win a Playoff competition?? :D 

a4d6645e36d93744181cc1c81a96daba.png

Barry Town weren't even in the top half of the table and now they might make the Europa League??? The Welsh League is mental :D 

Edited by PaulHartman71

9 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Oh ****! So Newtown won the Welsh Cup on penalties and for some ****ed up reason this now means that if we want Europe we have to win a Playoff competition?? :D 

Barry Town weren't even in the top half of the table and now they might make the Europa League??? The Welsh League is mental :D 

It's the same structure in Northern Ireland for me!  Finish 3rd-7th and you make the Euro playoffs.  It's a bastard!

ae4e6c1e17f4f6b2b5a6fb5028e2a4dc.png

The board have offered me a new deal before the Afan Lido game. They still seem content to finish mid-table next year even with us finishing 3rd and possibly having Europa League next season. I suppose an unambitious board is good for job security, possibly not for pushing on long term, but long term and this save game doesn't really go hand in hand. I'm a bit surprised I haven't been poached this season as it is mid-May and nobody has come in with my contract expiring, perhaps the English sides feel I've gone off the grid by going to Wales? I'm not complaining, especially if we beat Afan Lido and do get Europe.  

ee6e5a73abb6b08a2ffa531aec0acdd6.png

No wage increase, but I suppose the new Chairman has just helped clear almost £1M worth of debt, so maybe his financial management will be a bit better.

4 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

b7817a91ad31b7d2a3c30e1e46710d68.png

Absolutely unbelievable scenes as we came from behind to win, with Chris Pennock scoring in the 90th minute to break Afan Lido hearts. 

Europa League here we come (this time for real)!

Oh yeah!  Looking forward to the job offer from Diddy United.

Season 18: Port Talbot Town

2f7075ae5ba38bf86c9bae1282bafade.png

A really strong season which saw us finish 3rd and qualify for the Europa League. The squad is fairly good on paper but I think we still over-achieved a little this season to do what we did and I'm delighted we managed it, it's possibly the best season I've had in my career so far in terms of doing better than expected. 

Squad

Chris Pennock was the most important player, with 20 goals in 39 games this season, which is a new club record. Carl Pockett had the odd fitness issue but for the most part was a decent striker partner to Pennock, with 7 goals and 7 assists in 19 starts. Rory Cusack on the right hand side was often a nuisance to the opposition, with Chris Cornell an important player in the middle - Cornell is currently going back and forth about signing a new deal, I'm hoping we can convince him to sign now we have European football. 

Career History

Season     Club                 Division                               Position      Achievements/Other
2016/17    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League          8th         Eastern Counties League Cup winners
2017/18    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League         11th         Left in November
2017/18    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         13th         N/A
2018/19    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         10th         Left in December 
2018/19    Carlton Town         United Counties Premier League           8th         United Counties League Cup runners-up. Sacked. 
2019/20    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                      3rd         Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy winners
2020/21    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                     17th         Left in November 
2020/21    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   11th         N/A
2021/22    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   17th         Left in December
2021/22    Swindon Supermarine  Southern League 1st Division S/W        13th         N/A
2022/23    Swindon Supermarine  Southern League 1st Division S/W        18th         Left in January
2022/23    Trafford FC          Northern Premier League 1st Division N   7th         N/A
2023/24    Trafford FC          Northern Premier League 1st Division N  11th         Sacked in November
2023/24    Hythe Town           Isthmian League 1st Division S          12th         Joined in January
2024/25    Hythe Town           Isthmian League 1st Division S           3rd         Left in March
2024/25    Canvey Island        Isthmian League Premier Division        23rd         Relegated 
2025/26    Canvey Island        Isthmian League 1st Division N          23rd         Sacked in November
2025/26    Farsley Celtic       Northern Premier League 1st Division N  11th         Joined in January
2026/27    Farsley Celtic       Northern Premier League 1st Division N   5th         Left in March
2026/27    Stourbridge          Northern League Premier Division        21st         Relegated
2027/28    Stourbridge          Southern League 1st Division C           5th         Promoted via Playoffs 
2028/29    Stourbridge          Southern League Premier Division        15th         Left in November
2028/29    Lancaster City       Northern League Premier Division        21st         Relegeted. Sacked. 
2029/30    Southport            Northern League Premier Division        14th         N/A
2030/31    Southport            Northern League Premier Division         5th         Left in April 
2030/31    Port Vale            Northern League Premier Division         3rd         Lost in Playoff Final
2031/32    Port Vale            Northern League Premier Division         2nd         Lost in Playoff Final
2032/33    Port Vale            Northern League Premier Division         6th         Left in January 
2032/33    Port Talbot Town     Welsh Premier League                     8th         N/A
2033/34    Port Talbot Town     Welsh Premier League                     3rd         Qualified for Europa League via Playoff

Trophy Cabinet

Eastern Counties League Cup    x1 - 2016/17 (Ipswich Wanderers) 
Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy x1 - 2019/20 (Basildon United) 

f47b76aef772e4abc8da4aaa308e6877.png

Jardim's Manchester City side retained the title this season, with Allegri's Arsenal coming the closest to stopping them. Arsenal did manage to win the Champions League, which is their 4th in 7 years and means 9 of the last 10 winners have been English. England is back baby. No doubt partially due to me only having the UK leagues loaded, but still fairly impressive.

Elsewhere in the Premier League, it was a good year for Antonio Candreva's Everton who broke into the top 4, with Martin Steklenburg's Southampton and Cesc Fabregas' Newcastle narrowly missing out, but both finishing above Chelsea. Liverpool dropped to 10th place and West Ham, who have looked good in recent years finishing 4th and 5th, could only manage 9th despite being managed by Spanish legend Xavi. Spurs actually came 2 points away from being relegated as they finished in 17th place. 

Doncaster Rovers won the Championship and will be back in the Premier League next season, whilst Tranmere Rovers won League 1 to get up to the Championship for the first time in a long while. The other most notable story was Salford City winning the Conference to become a fully fledged football league side. 

52 minutes ago, jim owen said:

14 years without a trophy now, could do with changing that soon, throw everything at a cup next year?

The Europa League is coming home :brock:

But nah would be nice to win one of the Welsh Cup trophies, if Newtown can do it we have to believe we can too. 

d3ec388bd5a3f21151e2eeaae7352b56.png

Due to the club's still quite miserable finances we weren't really given a budget to sign a load of new players, but I did have a bit of wage budget free, so I got in 20 year old central midfielder Richard Walker from Westfields. He's a lot better than our other midfielders and is a real upgrade. I'm hoping he will make the difference and do the business this year. I'm looking at getting some loan signings in, but those players will not make the deadline for our Europa League 1st Round match.

It has come around quite quickly, especially since the Europa League kicks off in the first week of July, which considering we only ended the season in late May, did not give us a huge amount of time to prepare. But the draw has been made...

9ae322d9fa4657a8a57529cfa58d7fe2.png

We were unseeded so we couldn't have expected too good a draw whatever happened, but we've ended up with NK Domzale of Slovenia. I'm not sure how big a team or how good a team they are, but they have a 2.5* club reputation and we're priced at 9/1 to win the away tie. We are certainly underdogs but maybe that's a good thing as we have nothing to lose and it's just very exciting to even be involved in the Europa League at this stage in my career. I would have been made up a few years back if you'd told me I'd be playing in the Football League, let alone the Europa League :D 

bf2faafd31b25e43c582fd315ebf4d28.png

25 Port Talbot fans turned up and actually got a pretty decent game as we lost 1-0 in Slovenia. We did actually have several chances to get a goal, so whilst I was pleased we weren't thrashed as I had expected, it was also gutting not to get a big away goal to give us a chance of actually progressing. It would take a huge result at home to get through which I don't expect, but we'll see what happens.

d228517e04aae54a74d0410cd32b0cf6.png

We gave another decent account of ourselves in the home tie, which was actually played at the Swansea Community Stadium, a 41,200 capacity ground constructed for the 2036 Euros which will be hosted by Scotland and Wales. I'm assuming that our ground doesn't meet UEFA requirements or something. We pulled in 1,602 fans with only 52 of those being away fans, so not bad all things considered. 

I was really pleased we managed to get a goal as we did deserve one both on the night and over the course of the two legs, as we had numerous chances that were either well saved or not taken that well. Our European adventure is over but it's been a fun ride and we've made 300K or so from it which is huge for a club like us with financial worries. I won't see any of that money as we're still in bad shape in terms of debt, but our balance at the moment is a healthy £541K.