[FM17] The Hart Chronicles - Volume II: Adam Hart is 'Yes Man'!

PaulHartman71

013b52f8e26f285c0b8c31fa453deb57.png

I was looking at bringing in a striker on loan to add a bit of competition, so I was delighted to see that Jon Tucker was available. He has now rejoined the squad on loan, which will mean our two top scorers from last season, Jordan Sykes and Jon Tucker, are both now at the club together. Let's get some more goals to save my job please lads!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Oh. Well it looks like I won't get to see how that works out now anyway...

hopefully not sacked. Bet you are now wishing you hadn't signed him, could have got him at your next club. Don't worry one day you will be a premier leaue winner (although you'll get poached the day before the champions league final

ae4c4257d17f76e9e01ce88892aeb2be.png

I've been given the job at Lancaster City, in some ways I'm thankful, as their board just want to stay up this season, rather than win the league. Tbh considering we're only in November and the bottom of the league is pretty tight, we're actually in an alright position as there's plenty of time to sort things out. 

In some ways I was actually surprised to get the job, as their Chairman gave me the grilling of a life time in the interview. The interview basically went like "Why are you under-achieving at your club? Have you lost the dressing room? Why are you **** with the media? Why are you **** with money? Corr, you love a relegation don't you?" Felt like turning round and being like "well hang on a second pal, you came to me ffs" :D 

a626f463dab5e40e139b7231bf8e6c6d.png

I've been given a fairly big wage budget, so I can definitely look to recruit some more players ASAP. I'm reasonably optimistic about avoiding the dreaded drop back to the 8th tier for the 3rd time in my career.

Edited by PaulHartman71

15 hours ago, jim owen said:

hopefully not sacked. Bet you are now wishing you hadn't signed him, could have got him at your next club. Don't worry one day you will be a premier leaue winner (although you'll get poached the day before the champions league final

Yeah for sure I could've done with him here. The Football League itself seems a long way off yet, let alone the Premier League, but hopefully I will eventually get there! Wonder how many relegation I'll have suffered by the time I get Prem club wanting me. Would be pretty interesting to see how that works, as surely in real life if you'd been relegated that many times it would be massively off putting.

December

b1f6f0edfdf16fe1bcf072eb4805422f.png

A big 5-3 win against Dunston puts us into the Quarter Final of the Northern Premier League Challenge Cup. The majority of the other sides left are mid-table to upper mid-table sides in our league, so I'm not expecting to get much further, but we'll see what happens. 

ae3d1d89f12ca7697a0a4a1ffe2045d2.png

In my first full month in charge, we wound up with 1 win, 3 draws and 4 losses - not great form at all, especially considering the final loss was a huge relegation 6 pointer at North Ferribly. 

There were some highs this month though, including 17 year old loanee Billy Aldred's 89th minute winner at Whitby, as well as a 2nd half come back to steal a point against Southport. I also brought in a new striker in Jozsef Keaveny, who scored a goal to nick a point on his debut at home to Droylsden. 

The foundations to improve are there and we haven't been completely battered in any of our losses. 

Also I will add, after over 600 games in pretty tiny stadiums, it was quite surreal playing in Port Vale's 8,400 capacity ground. They got over 2,000 to turn up to a 7th tier match against us too, so which is fairly impressive in my eyes. 

662346bb5dad540cce55cb80867bdc61.png

We're rock bottom and 6 points off of safety. There's still 16 games to go though and we're not actually playing that badly, so I'm not panicking just yet, maybe it will be time to start worrying when that 6 point gap gets bigger though. 

January

4dec133e709f359fa320a31897fc6844.png

It's not been the worst month. We could've done with a win against fellow strugglers Bacup, but we did at least pick up a point from it. The highlight of the month was the shocking 4-1 smashing of 2nd place Hednesford at their place. We did benefit from the Worksop match being postponed for our pitch being frozen, which gave us 2 weeks rest before the Hednesford game, but either way, to beat them 4-1 was something really special, especially as we were 4-0 up at half-time. We were 2-0 up against Worksop but I think the two games in 3 days caught up to us in the second half, as we took our foot off the peddle and they came back to win 3-2. We were 1-0 up at Liversedge too and that loss was particularly hard to take, as Liversedge scored the winner in the 89th minute. 

9e53d0fed3b7bf451123d92351b32150.png

I still don't think we're playing all that badly overall, but with 12 games to go we're 6 points adrift and still bottom, which is a big concern. We do at least have a decent goal difference compared to a few of the sides around us. We do still have matches against Shaw Lane and Droylsden, which will be must win matches. 

February

5bdcdc222e619fc6ba616ac5e70fc4ff.png

I wasn't expecting to get past Workington as they're above us in the league, but they just didn't turn up. At the time I wasn't sure if they just weren't fussed about the Northern League Challenge Cup so put the 2nd string out, but either way, I was thrilled to win 4-0. We've got 8th tier side Guiseley in the Semi Final, which is a great draw and puts us in with a good chance of reaching the final! 

82af9d24e1df56ff908db9378612d24c.png

A less than perfect month for a club in our desperate situation, but for a relegation fighting club you can't sniff at 4 points from 12. The Workington match really made me question how they're so far ahead of us in the league, we've beaten them 4-0 twice in one month ffs. They really were awful and Aldred deserve his hard worked hat-trick. We could've done with turning the 0-0 at home to Trafford into a win, but we just struggled to break them down. 

f753c0046747bc16620f66ae47b91207.png

8 games to go and there's now a 7 point gap. It's really not looking too good but we can't give up yet. 

March

c4513c2a7d28298e0c6bb73e33945617.png

A successful Semi Final as we beat 8th tier Guiseley at their place, thanks largely to a Billy Aldred double. We will play Port Vale in the final next month. 

14a4f6844c406cbfb16738790176a5d4.png

The month started with an unsuccessful trip to league leaders Darlington 1883, who beat us 3-1. We managed to get a decent point away to mid-table Witton, before pulling off a big win at 11th place Kendal. We went 1-0 up quite early on in the second half and looked reasonably comfortable for much of the game, until the 70th minute when one of their players broke through and nearly went past our keeper to score, it was only our keeper making a huge save that kept us in it. After that I went all out defence to keep our lead, I took off a striker and put on another CB to go 5 at the back, brought back our wingers so they were wing backs in-front of the full backs, even put our 2 CMs into makeshift DMs. This worked and we kept Kendal out to hold onto the vital 3 points. 

We got stuffed by Playoff hopefuls Stafford, which meant it was really all or nothing at home to Hyde. We had to win to stand any real chance of still staying up and after giving them a motivating team meeting a few days prior, the team really turned up and we smashed Hyde 4-1, with Jozsef Keaveny getting a brace and 2 assists. 

c1f260b6dbded8c3a8f1bf0709f70d4c.png

Despite 2 wins and a draw last month, we're still bottom of the league with 3 games to go. There's 5 points (and goal difference) separating us and safety, so we do really need to win every one of our last games to survive. 

We don't have the worst run in, as we play Shaw Lane at home, Droylsden away and then 10th place Spennymoor away on the last day. I think we definitely have a chance of getting something in the first two games, although I'm not hugely confident that we could beat Spennymoor away from home, but all we can do is try if we're still in it at that stage. 

18 minutes ago, vossmaj said:

In a Situation like this (where you have to win every game) does it influence your tactics? Playing more dominant from the start or whatever could come to your mind? Or is it business as usual - tacticwise?

I don't change things too much. I usually make slight adaptions based on whether I'm at home, away, where the other team is in the league etc. I try to focus on what the Scout recommends based on the other team's general tactics, although it's not thaaaat useful at this level. 

Edited by PaulHartman71

3fe30dd008e0d0a7b08b57dc1c31faed.png

I'm not sure who my predecessor was, but massive shout out to him for convincing Blackburn youngster Billy Aldred to come on loan to us. He was unstoppable in this match and I'm sure he won't spend many more years of his career playing non-league football. He's now the 2nd top scorer in the league and if he carries on this form we might actually stay up. 

67fbe4b06121b2c321cb33306c4aa30d.png

That win has shot us up from bottom to 21st. We're still 3 points off of Whitby in 20th place, they have a better goal difference but you'd assume if we win games and they lose or draw we might be able to make that up. We absolutely have to beat Droylsden away in our next game, which would also drag them right into a relegation dogfight on the last day, which would help our case even more.

Our next match though is our big Northern League Challenge Cup final against Port Vale, which is at Edgeley Park. A welcome distraction before the stressful end to the season. I'm just hoping for no injuries or red cards!

38b8f63a46a9006d4d258bc5326bbf9a.png 

An unfortunate loss in the end. We went 1-0 down early on in the first half, but Ryan Renton-Rose got us back in it with a wonderful curled strike just before half-time. Port Vale absolutely battered us in the second half and it was only due to Charlie Andrew making some stunning saves that we stayed in the game, but Port Vale finally put us away in the 85th minute. In some ways I'm glad they beat us when they did, as we could've done without 30 extra minutes with Droylsden in 4 days time. 

It was a great run in the cup and I'm pleased to have got to the final, just a shame we couldn't win it as it would have been nice to add some silverware to my trophy cabinet, since I haven't done so in a very long time!

Edited by PaulHartman71

bbc54c91e5337c6e5e5ad8ee4ab2edea.png

A huge win! It was a pretty boring game until the second half, when our Hungarian striker, Jozsef Keaveny, suffered bruised ribs and had to come off for 3rd choice Yiannis Constantinou. The substitute had an almost immediate effect, when just 5 minutes later he latched onto a Billy Aldred pass to smash home an opening goal. We then doubled our lead 5 minutes later on the counter, with Ryan Renton-Rose finishing from 5 yards. I set up shop and we went full on defensive - Droylsden couldn't break us down and we came away with a huge 3 points. 

4572223136814aa81cfc049e3386cd71.png

We go into the last game of the season at 11th place Spennymoor just 1 point off Whitby and 2 off Droylsden, with an equal goal difference to Whitby and much better one than Droylsden. 

Unfortunately for us, Whitby are away to already relegated Alvechurch, which is a pretty good game to have on the last day. Droylsden aren't so lucky, as they're at home to 4th place Port Vale who we know are a good side. North Ferribly are pretty much down as their goal difference is so much worse than Whitby's that they'd need an absolute miracle to stay up now. 

It's out of our hands to an extent as if Whitby and Droylsden both win then they're fine, but if Whitby lose and we win or draw we will be safe - and if Droylsden lose or draw and we win then we will be safe. 

39400635fa52f193e478d0282c1cbbce.png

A hugely disappointing end to our bid to stay up. Spennymoor dominated us throughout much of the first half, but we held strong, until the 42nd minute when they scored to put us behind. At half-time, Whitby were drawing 0-0 at Alvechurch, whilst Drolysden were 2-1 down at home to Port Vale, so I knew if we turned it around and won we'd be in a good position to stay up. 

We looked livelier in the 2nd half and did create the odd half-chance, but Spennymoor doubled their lead in the 60th minute which was very humbling and made the threat of relegation very real for the first time. I went a bit more attacking at this point thinking we could maybe drag it back to a 2-2 draw as we've come back in some games before and that maybe Whitby would lose late on, but then Whitby went 1-0 up in the 75th minute so I knew we had to win 3-2 at that point to have any chance of staying up. I had no choice but to go for it, so I took off a CB for a striker and went 3-4-3. 

Aldred hit the post not long after that and substitute Yiannis Constantinou had a monster shot that was somehow parried wide, so we did have chances, but couldn't convert them. We got done on the counter late on in the 89th minute, but it was over by that point anyway. 

760b888df93cd340963befd819e42a8a.png

A real shame to be confirmed down as I feel we've played reasonably well at times and showed some promise. I think if I'd had another 2 or 3 games I probably could've kept us up, but unfortunately we ran out of time in the end and we sadly went down, making it my 3rd relegation in my career. 

It does appear that the board aren't sacking me as I'm still employed presently, but I don't know whether I will have done enough for them to renew my contract in the summer. We shall see. 

1e388d037da0bfaf9331c8eb8e571d3e.png

Well this came a bit out of the blue. They summoned me for a meeting saying I'd been really disappointing and to explain why. My only options were to blame injuries or the tough fixtures, I blamed the tough fixtures although thought it was a bit weird, as our form towards the end wasn't terrible really. I can see why they wanted me gone as we went down but they went about it in a funny way. They asked me to resign and I refused as it sort of goes against the ethos of this save, so as a result they have sacked me. 

Thrilling end to the season! SO close to staying up but lets see what's next for Mr Hart, I imagine a 7th tier side may take a punt once sackings start around October.  

Its really interesting that you get so many job offers, I never seem to in FM?  (despite usually purposely lowering my wage v low),  in my current save I started unemployed, lucked out with the Tranmere job in October, got them promoted first season, then was in the play offs in Jan the next season (League 2), got the Leeds job (they were 15th in the championship), got them promoted via the play offs somehow (insane run, they had a v good squad), then 1st prem season finished 7th and got into the Europa league.  2nd Prem season I'm floating between 3rd and 6th and in the EL final, yet i've NEVER been offered another job or interview?  I was tending to dismiss interest in my first 1-2 seasons, maybe it was that?

I'm not sure really. In my last save when I was doing the A-Z challenge I was a top flight manager for the entire save and I was constantly inundated with job offers from all over the place, think by the end of the save I'd probably turned down the Real Madrid job more than 10 times. But I think in that save it was probably because I had a high reputation and a lot of the time I wasn't at a proper elite club being paid a fortune, so bigger sized clubs could come in for me.

What are your contracts like in terms of length? I think most of contracts being either 12 months or less probably factors in as it means clubs don't have to fork up much money to nab me. 

Season 13: Lancaster City

0521c5688d84354af2915ef7e8e27e8e.png

Seems like season 13 was a bit unlucky for me. I joined Lancaster at the tail end of November and tbf I thought we would be able to stay up. I took the side on a nice Northern League Challenge Cup run, unfortunately losing in the final to Port Vale. We did play reasonably well in the majority of our games, but ultimately when it really mattered we were sloppy and not good enough, especially defensively. There were many times when we'd be doing alright in a 50/50 game, then we'd give the ball away in an attack due to a sloppy pass, then the opposition would go up the pitch and score. That sort of thing was what cost us in the end. 

Squad

We had a reasonable squad for the division and should really have stayed up with the talent available to us. Billy Aldred was the stand out player, the 17 year old spent the year on loan from Championship side Blackburn, scoring 28 goals in 44 games in the end. He's a real talent and I'll be following his career with great interest. Elsewhere, winger Ryan Renton-Rose was usually quite dangerous and popped up with a few big goals. George Hornshaw in the center of midfield was another important player and one of the first names on the team-sheet. 

Career History

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season     Club                 Division                               Position      Achievements/Other
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League          8th         Eastern Counties League Cup winners
2017/18    Ipswich Wanderers    Eastern Counties Premier League         11th         Left in November
2017/18    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         13th         N/A
2018/19    Coventry Sphinx      Midland Football Premier League         10th         Left in December 
2018/19    Carlton Town         United Counties Premier League           8th         United Counties League Cup runners-up. Sacked. 
2019/20    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                      3rd         Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy winners
2020/21    Basildon United      Essex Senior League                     17th         Left in November 
2020/21    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   11th         N/A
2021/22    Lincoln United       Northern Counties East Premier League   17th         Left in December
2021/22    Swindon Supermarine  Southern League 1st Division S/W        13th         N/A
2022/23    Swindon Supermarine  Southern League 1st Division S/W        18th         Left in January
2022/23    Trafford FC          Northern Premier League 1st Division N   7th         N/A
2023/24    Trafford FC          Northern Premier League 1st Division N  11th         Sacked in November
2023/24    Hythe Town           Isthmian League 1st Division S          12th         Joined in January
2024/25    Hythe Town           Isthmian League 1st Division S           3rd         Left in March
2024/25    Canvey Island        Isthmian League Premier Division        23rd         Relegated 
2025/26    Canvey Island        Isthmian League 1st Division N          23rd         Sacked in November
2025/26    Farsley Celtic       Northern Premier League 1st Division N  11th         Joined in January
2026/27    Farsley Celtic       Northern Premier League 1st Division N   5th         Left in March
2026/27    Stourbridge          Northern League Premier Division        21st         Relegated
2027/28    Stourbridge          Southern League 1st Division C           5th         Promoted via Playoffs 
2028/29    Stourbridge          Southern League Premier Division        15th         Left in November
2028/29    Lancaster City       Northern League Premier Division        21st         Relegeted. Sacked. 

Trophy Cabinet

Eastern Counties League Cup    x1 - 2016/17 (Ipswich Wanderers) 
Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy x1 - 2019/20 (Basildon United) 

48 minutes ago, Wavelberry said:

Surely if they ask you to resign you have to yes...

Tough luck on the Lancaster gig though. Looked all set for a miracle escape.

I really thought we could do it, especially as we went into the last game with such high morale and decent form. It's Adam's career though, so it seems quite fitting that it's been filled with Game of Thrones levels of happy endings so far. 

f02c8941c04a34684c921715ea497829.png

A vintage job offer from Southport Chairman Michael Cole.

8ee41605fc01e354cb928cc9eeb637df.png

b007dd2834ff7e8de09742d7e0e8a8ae.png

I was pretty delighted when Southport came in for me, especially as it's only the 2nd week in June, so I haven't been out of work that long at all really. I was expecting an 8th tier side to come in for me when I finally got an offer, so this is a welcome relief.

Southport finished in 15th place in the Northern League Premier Division last season, with 13 points separating them and my Lancaster side. The previous manager, Ray Davey, was actually sacked, so you'd assume Southport have ambitions greater than 15th place which is a good sign. 

0a1f3b392753bba33755fb9bd3620f5c.png

An hour or so down the country, we have moved closer to the sea this time which is always nice. 

Related image

It looks like one of those seaside towns that's not really that great, but if you pop down to the seafront at the right time, you can get a belting sunset picture that makes it look lovely. So it's basically Southend, but with colder weather, more Scousers and a shorter pier. Although they seem to have an Airshow that actually still runs, so maybe it is better than Southend.

Image result for haig avenue

Edited by PaulHartman71

6d6ab95c0f73b66b9eab79de9116bf18.png

A great year for Allegri's Arsenal as they've won the Premier League for the first time 8 years, as well as retained the Champions League. 

Not too much of excitement elsewhere in the Pyramid, perhaps Oxford gaining promotion to the Championship for the first time (possibly ever). 

When these players from the Southport are playing better than Lancaster, it would be fun to see these Southport players on time.

14 hours ago, PaulHartman71 said:

1e388d037da0bfaf9331c8eb8e571d3e.png

Well this came a bit out of the blue. They summoned me for a meeting saying I'd been really disappointing and to explain why. My only options were to blame injuries or the tough fixtures, I blamed the tough fixtures although thought it was a bit weird, as our form towards the end wasn't terrible really. I can see why they wanted me gone as we went down but they went about it in a funny way. They asked me to resign and I refused as it sort of goes against the ethos of this save, so as a result they have sacked me. 

I hate to say that you got fired and guess what maybe Lancaster will hate you probably for a while! Who replaced you?

Edited by sherwinriga

19 hours ago, mrdanbartlett said:

Result re the new club!  Hopefully you can build something with a good summer of transfers etc.

Can you nab any of your previous players?  How does the squad look?  What about the budgets?

I went in for Billy Aldred on a loan deal, but I think he has higher ambitions than the 7th tier now, which tbf you can't blame him for. Jordan Sykes has left Stourbridge for Conference South side Staines, he's not done great there but they've kept him on so I can't get him. I've scouted Jon Tucker but my scouts reckon we've got 4 strikers better than him so I've left it. 

The squad looks okay for this level and I am looking at bringing in a few players to make it a little bit stronger for the coming season.