FMT16 Save Updates Thread

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beat Juve 1-0 in undeserved fashion and the squad valuations have rocketed; Carvalho now £28.5m with P-SG and City circling. Mario £22m, Mane £21m (Chelsea, Arsenal and P-SG interested), Adrien £20.5m..... An interesting summer set to follow and I have an urge to manage Everton for some reason.

Finally finished with that summer transfer window. Squad looks in excellent shape, barring the fact that have no "true" strikers barring Devante Cole who's not a great finisher.

It's not really a major issue, tbh, as my striker is a Treq.

006d60b56d7cd0316f8e9f0d089a92df.png

This guy showed up as available on my scouting pages on deadline day, was tricky to get done, as I had to get Wolfsberg to pay a chunk of wages.

Better...

zQx2uHK.png

I've recreated and tweaked a tactic I had a lot of joy with in FM15 for this one, and it seemed to work ok. The only issue is that it relies on a lot of closing down and tight marking, so my players were absolutely shattered in the last 10mins and United had several chances to win. And two players got injured, although thankfully neither are long term. However, United had only conceded 5 goals at home all season before this, so it shows promise.

Good job in getting Draxler there B2B, I just scouted him, and he has absolutely no interest in joining the club, so however you've managed it, good job.

He was angry at Wolfsberg, and transfer listed, like I said, just checked my scouting pages on deadline day, and there he was. Had to put in a buyback, but it's at 40m, so not bad.

Halfway through the season then, and I think the league table tells its own story.

4QaP53J.png

6 goals conceded in 10 home games. In 9 away matches, I've conceded 29. In fairness though, I've played Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, and Liverpool away in the first half of the season, so hopefully the 2nd half will yield a better away record. In January now, and there's going to be quite a few changes to the team...

A few young players I'd bid for have just joined the club, so my reserves are now building up nicely. Many of these players will be ready for the first team in the next couple of years, excited about a few of these. Pastore in particular looks like he could well emulate his Argentinian namesake.

qk4zMew.png

Oh! Here's how my entire summer went with Bradford.

d5f45a4acb609be8bf1c937dd98004cd.png

Even with the extra 30m, and the 11 sales, I stretched it to it's limit. It's a risky strategy, no doubt, but it gives me the core of a really strong side. You can see a pattern too, began spending piles, realised I had half a squad and no money, scraped together loans and junk, got the boost, and went mad again!

Of note,

Josef Sindelar, is a 16 year old CB, but a monster for his age, and could do a job as a rotation option already. Very fast too, but lacks natural fitness.

Zelalem, Nwakali, Elmohamady and Stabkovic's loans were all terminated when better options became available.

Bentancur's loan was terminated when he tore his knee ligaments in his first game, gutted.

Rebic is crap, but has utility as he suits a few roles on the pitch, and I couldn't get a good striker who can play Treq. on loan anyway.

He was transfer listed, I can't remember why.

There were others too, Lucas Moura for 8m, Iturbe for 6m, Mangala for 6m, Man City would accept 0 for Fernando(but his wages were an issue and length of contract for his age), lots of amazing deals popping up.

Iturbe is available on my save too, for about 10million, and the scout says he wouldn't get a work permit anyway.

I have been wheeling and dealing this January though, full update sometime tomorrow. On the verge of my biggest signing yet, but work permit issues could prevent it there too...

Bah! I'm in my usual self-destructive FM stupor! Can't be bothered to continue with Sporting :(

I stupidly missed that Carvalho has a £32m release clause so I either had the option of paying him £110k per week, or he was off to P-SG as they matched the clause. In the event, I just couldn't be arsed with it because we'd immediately toppled the "Big Two" in Portugal, and won in Europe. It's hard to be motivated to continue after a season like that, and the £3.6m for winning the league and lack of real TV money just leaves the whole experience feeling a bit empty. So: Portugal - too easy, England - too easy, Italy - tactically stifling. Meh.

What was so tactically stifling about Italy? I managed a lot there in 15, and had a lot of different systems and styles work, the 4-3-3/False 9 with Roma, 5-3-2 with Sassuolo, 4-4-1-1(based on 90's Man Utd) with Avellino, added with the 12 man bench so you could easily system switch mid game, I found it one of the more fun countries.

You should try somewhere like Norway again, league becomes easy quickly, but breaking into Europe is a challenge. Loved playing there, and the first place to make me seriously develop possession/defensive game.

For now, I have the persistent desire to play in the EPL (that I have slagged off for being too easy!) - either as Everton or West Ham.

It's got to be Everton surely :thup:

Both options appeal; Everton more so because the starting squad is decent and has reasonable depth and can make a Top Four challenge within 2/3 seasons of the silly TV money. West Ham appeals just because of the Olympic Stadium to be honest. They'd probably represent a longer term challenge given the relative lack of initial quality compared to Everton, but again the TV money would soon sort that and the money again probably diminishes the need to look for a club with a bigger stadium.

Another tempter is to holiday for 10-15 seasons just to see how silly the PL looks, and just take over a club. Options.

Tactically I might just give the bog-standard 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 a go, because I hate those systems :)

Late December now with Bradford, about to wade into the unruly waters of the Christmas crush. Interesting times though, I have very little to spend in January, but don't particularly need it, there's a consortium takeover on the cards anyway and that means likely a transfer embargo. Why do these takeovers always happen in transfer windows? Makes moves tricky if good sale offers come in, though.

Good news.

Our balance is just back in the black already, despite my massive splurging. Premiership money is insane.

Beat Chelsea 0-1 at Stamford Bridge to get into the semi-final of the League Cup, and draw a Championship side in the semi.

Easy FA Cup draw, League 2 side, beat them and club expectations are met.

Sitting pretty in 8th place in the league.

Strange news.

Despite all the big name signings, it's Devante Cole doing the business, racking up the most goals and assists.

Gary Monk is managing Man Utd all the way to the bottom half.

Bad news.

Despite being comfy in upper mid table, we could handily be in the mix for Europe, if only our goalkeepers didn't suck, and perhaps some blame to the defence as a whole(it was at it's worst while Aurier was injured for 2 months), but almost every game a keeper spills a handy save and an opposing striker lashes the dropped ball home. In a game with Swansea, they scored 3 goals like this, were lucky to get a draw from that.

Hopefully my goalkeeping issues will be a thing of the past...

4f59e581195e3cf237f2bc8243ac9b86.png

Well finished my first season as Watford AFC.

Used Create a Club to replace Maidenhead, but only changed the club I did not add or remove any players.

Penultimate game I went top after a fine run of form with 6 wins on the trot. I was level on points with Dartford but with a 12 goal GD advantage, so the title was in our own hands. Dartford were going to play Weston-super-mare who were 3rd bottom and in relegation problems and I was playing the team below them, Eastbourne Boro.

We won 2-0 with both goals scored by my top scorer Jake Reid with 9 goals in 5 games and 23 for the season. Dartford lost 2-1

Highlights:

Getting through to the 2nd round of the FA Cup and taking League 1 side Swindon to a televised replay. I beat L1 Bury in the 1st round after a replay.

Jake Reid getting all 4 goals in a 4-1 win against Maidstone.

Actually scoring a direct free kick in the penultimate game.

Lowlights:

Having first choice keeper and his backup out injured for almost 2 months at the start of the season, I got a good loan in from Stevenage. When the first choice came back he went on to play 41 games with 20 clean sheets and conceeded 29 goals.

Having all 3 first choice strikers out at the start of the season. The backups performed well, although never reached the same heights once the strikers were back.

Struggling with a regular goalscorer, Jake Reid got 23 but that included almost half of them in the last month.

Next Season:

I need to build a new squad. I've got 10 players with new contracts until the end of next season with a few non-contract players who I'll try to keep and sign to part time contracts.

I've been given the initial budgets and that includes £16k transfer kitty, probably due to the FA Cup run and an extra £3k a week on wages.

The aim will be to survive. I'll need 1 good striker and a good defensive minded midfielder and a better DC with options for backup players including at least 1 reserve keeper.

Just got Lucas Moura on loan on January deadline day, with a 4.7m buy option, and Edoardo Goldaniga with a 3.4m one.

Been stuck in a rut at 8th for most of the season, including my current run of 6 league draws on the trot. Hopefully this will inject a little oomph in my season.

I am in the League Cup final though, against Man City, shame you have to win the cups now for an Europa spot.

Yeah, having a surplus if cash in the bank for deadline day is wise. Last minute transfer listings, players who wouldn't consider your club earlier but will now, late replacements for injuries.

5m is an utter steal for Benteke, and I've liked Vydra on every FM(should be a killer pair), except right now, he keeps popping up at random teams and scoring against me. Might buy him next summer just to stop him! :lol:

Yasssss! With an hour to go before the window shut, the appeal for the work permit was approved, and the exciting young 23yr old midfielder signs on the dotted line with the very last drop of cash we had.

SJ9wxKZ.png

In other news, the wait for an away win goes on. After beating Arsenal at home, we go to Swansea and capitulate 2-0. That's three draws and nine defeats from our 12 away games. Brutal.

Little disappointed, had Jesse Lingard on loan from Man Utd 2 years running. Transfer listed, contract running out, thought I'd get him on a free. He's done well enough for me, that I didn't notice they took him off the list and gave him a new contract. Bah.

Nice win BoxToBox. I am kinda glad that someone else (RTH) is starting as many saves as me...

Makoto good luck with the draw.

As for my save, continued 2 games and changed to a 4231 denmark ... just because ... the results as you can see in a moment resulted in more goals but, of course, on both sides:

vs. Mainz: 4-3 (win) Dost, Schuerrle, and Caligiuri x2. We were 1-0 down, then 4-1 up, and then they had a late come-back. To be honest, 2 of the goals were Casteels not holding on to the first shot, and they rebounded it in. His handling is 10 which is really low for Bundesliga. Needless to say (while he has great potential) I put in Gruen for the next match as his handling is much better. Waiting for Benaglio to return to fitness.

vs. Hoffenheim: 0-3 (loss) Kevin Volland and Vargas. Volland is on my short list. He just made us suffer. In this game we showed the same defensive vulnerabilities without the same attacking prowess up front. And the result was 0-3.

Next up Gladbach. I might go with my more conservative 4-1-4-1 or I might stick with Gung-Ho style.

Nicely done BoxToBox.

Last day of transfer window is over but the English one is still open and Arsenal make a bid of 30mn for R. Rodriguez (his release clause) and it is of course accepted automatically. With my window closed I have no chance to get a replacement in...I hope Schaefer stays fit.

They then also bid 27mn for L. Gustavo and I was like...ok...why not, lots of money, and I prefer to play Guilavogui and Ascues in any case.

Now I have over 40mn in the bank and more to come in installments but the window is closed to buy a replacement for Rodriguez as left back.

I need to see if there is some kind of free agent or loan possibility outside the transfer window - France has that option.

Archived