The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge - Silver Age Archive

@yugularCongrats on your second World Cup. Hopefully you'll win the Club World Cup and be a leaderboarder soon.  It's a bit sparse at the moment. 

@GloryFan2002 Certainly is hard on FM17 to get a club job when you're an international manager. Anyway, congrats on the champions league. Look forward to following your next adventure.

@YellowLittle Were you offered the Tottenham job when you were Wolves manager? Anyway, hope your season goes well.

@streety Not sure why Red Bull were champions when they had less points. Must be some kind of weird arse multi-stage league. Have never managed in Austria. Weird how many leagues that's true of, given how long I've been playing this game.

@Cross Hope your spell at São Paulo is going well. Can't say that managing in Brazil appeals to me all that much, (because of the long seasons), but when I do try this challenge again, I guess I'll have to go there because I didn't have a lot of success winning the Libertadores from any other nation.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Lewis89 said:

Getting involved with this.. Game Setup and Manager Profile... Going to try read the thread through from the start to get familiar with everyone's progress. 

Ah, fresh blood. If you're at a loose end after reading these 65 pages, you could always look at the original thread as well. I can't help thinking that the original thread was even better, because we were figuring things out as we went along; not least the rules which were left somewhat murky by the creator of the challenge.

I don't know what logo that is in the link.

Good luck with the challenge.

Edited by vikeologist

38 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

Ah, fresh blood. If you're at a loose end after reading these 65 pages, you could always look at the original thread as well. I can't help thinking that the original thread was even better, because we were figuring things out as we went along; not least the rules which were left somewhat murky by the creator of the challenge.

I don't know what logo that is in the link.

Good luck with the challenge.

Cheers, 

Will defo have a look through the original aswel then, sure I will pick up some valuable tips along the way.

My first Interview, seemed to go well, lets see if i get the job

Edited by Lewis89

Lets get this show on the road. After applying for about 20 jobs, having attended 5 interviews I finally have a job. Cobresal. 

Club Overview    Finances    Squad

The club came 5th in The Primera Division B (CHILE) last season. I have let most of the older players go, with most of them being at the end of their contracts anyway, it was an easy decision. I have hired a decent scout, and am going to need to really look deep into the free agents market and loanees as we have no money at all. Still there is some talent at the club that i should be able to work with.

Edited by Lewis89

12 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@yugularCongrats on your second World Cup. Hopefully you'll win the Club World Cup and be a leaderboarder soon.  It's a bit sparse at the moment. 

Im really hoping that I can do it and my team is certainly strong if key players stay free of injuries! Im few games into the season already.

14 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@YellowLittle Were you offered the Tottenham job when you were Wolves manager? Anyway, hope your season goes well.

Yeah I should have explained better. So I was offered Spurs job at the end of my 1st season with Wolves. However I thought with the budget I'd stick it out at Wolves. Saying that despite having £120 million to spend, it's difficult as other European heavyweights seem to be luring my targets away. Bit frustrating, probably haven't actually strengthened my squad at all. Signed Jean Seri on a free after he was released from Man United though.

On 24/01/2018 at 02:36, vikeologist said:

@streety Not sure why Red Bull were champions when they had less points. Must be some kind of weird arse multi-stage league. Have never managed in Austria. Weird how many leagues that's true of, given how long I've been playing this game.

Yeah the league splits in to championship playoff and relegation play off and then i think it gores on head to heads...i will check and post an update

On 26/01/2018 at 07:55, streety said:

good luck with Wycombe @Lewis89

cheers dude but luck was in short supply 🤣. Got the sack AGAIN. With the team sitting 11th, and the board asking me to finish in mid table. Dissapointing to say the least, however every grey cloud...... 

I started my 3rd attempt and was appointed stevenage boss, its gone much better. Will post a full update tomorow. 

Hows your attempt going? 

48 minutes ago, Lewis89 said:

cheers dude but luck was in short supply 🤣. Got the sack AGAIN. With the team sitting 11th, and the board asking me to finish in mid table. Dissapointing to say the least, however every grey cloud...... 

I started my 3rd attempt and was appointed stevenage boss, its gone much better. Will post a full update tomorow. 

Hows your attempt going? 

Hope you do better at stevenage, My save is going well I'm still at Mattersburg in Austria. I came close to the title in my 1st Full season and was knocked out of the cup at the semi final stage then got to the final but lost the season just gone. I'm close to a trophy of some description. My board want me to get to the third qualifying round of the CL but i face PSV so not feeling confident.

Hi all. I hope I'm still welcome after pretty much falling off the face of the earth for several months. Unfortunately, real life has got in the way of playing FM for the past few months, but with things settling down again now, I decided it was time to come back to my save and try and join @pug 407 as a dual-challenge completer!

logo_westham.png               kr.png

Season 2033/34

West Ham United and South Korea

As you can see, I decided to stay with West Ham and have a real crack at the league title. Early exits in both domestic cups didn't particularly bother me, as it meant that we could concentrate on the league and Europe. Unfortunately, a group of Fenerbache, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid proved a little too much for us, and we dropped down into the Europa League. After winning this competition last season, I chose to prioritise elsewhere and play my squad players for the rest of the campaign in Europe. Victories over Legia Warsaw, Fiorentina and Napoli pitted us against Dortmund in the semis. a 2-0 defeat away was followed up by an epic performance at home, where we raced into a 3-0 lead and looked to be going through to a second successive final, but Dortmund grabbed a goal in the final minute to cruelly deny us.

In the league, I knew I had to sort out the defence if I was to have any chance whatsoever of improving upon last season's fifth place. Ray Willis and Amir Abdi both came in from Manchester (United and City respectively) to add real depth in the full back positions, but the decision to bring in Marcio Michel Minasi for £20m from Corinthians was vital. He averaged 7.58 in the league, which is pretty special for a centre back. His centre back partner, Caspar Gray, averaged 7.48, so the improvement in defence really was phenomenal. Last season we conceded 28 in our visits to the 'Big Six' of Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool. This season? We only conceded 21 in the league in the whole season. Goalkeeper Rikard Ingelsson kept 20 clean sheets, and has certainly played his way into my best challenge 11 for this career.

So were we successful? We spent the season vying for top spot with Spurs, but when they beat us 2-1 in February to put themselves 7 points clear of us, I thought that was that. However, we slowly clawed the lead back, and we went into the final game with a chance of winning the title. We visited Chelsea, who had missed out on Champions League qualification, whilst Spurs visited Man Utd, who finished fourth. Because of our inferior goal difference, we were requiring Man Utd to do us a favour, and they duly delivered, smashing Spurs 3-0. We went 1-0 down on the half hour, before equalising through attacking midfielder Henrik Thelin with 25 minutes to go. It was clear Spurs were going to lose, so all we had to do was make sure we didn't let Chelsea score. We shut up shop, and tried to hit them on the break, but to no avail. Thankfully, they weren't able to get past our stubborn defence, and we'd sealed the league title!

Internationally, after an easy East Asian Cup win, all eyes were on qualification for the World Cup. My main aim with South Korea has always been 2035's Asian Cup of Nations, but in order to still be in a job at that stage I knew I was going to have to qualify for the World Cup. This should've been straight forward, but two defeats to Australia and two careless draws with Japan meant we only finished third in the group, and faced a playoff with Jordan to qualify for another playoff against Chile to determine who would be heading to the World Cup. After finishing third in the group, the South Korean FA hauled me in for a meeting, and told me in no uncertain terms that they were unhappy with my performance. An unconvincing 7-5 aggregate victory over Jordan didn't exactly improve their faith in me, but a fantastic 4-2 aggregate victory over Chile, where we were 4-0 up with 20 minutes to go over the second leg, was enough to convince them to stick by me. We've been plunged into the Group of Death at the World Cup, however. I'm hoping they realise this and stick by me after our inevitable early exit. I'll be absolutely gutted if they give me the elbow after over three years of building work in preparation for next year's tournament. Fingers crossed I'll be updating that pretty soon though!

I'm now hoping the World Cup sees some high profile international management casualties, so the managerial merry-go-round will begin and open up a prime vacancy at a big club in one of the other top four European leagues.

Sidebar - Can I go back onto the active saves list on page one now @vikeologist?

Club
Season        Team             Position      Notes and Achievements
2016/17      Dungannon     9th            Irish Cup winners, Mid-Ulster Cup winners

2018            Sligo Rovers    1st             League winners!

2019            Tianjin              1st             League winners!

2020            Tianjin              8th            FA Cup winners! Champions League winners!

2021            Montreal         4th            League (MLS Cup) winners!

2022            Montreal         1st             Won MLS Supporters' Shield, currently in last 8 of NACL

2023            Montreal          N/A          NACL winners!

2023            Palmeiras        9th           Brazilian Cup winners!

2024/25      Ajax                  1st            League winners!

2025/26     Unemployed

2026/27     Orlando Pirates  8th      Took over with 10 games to go.

2027/28     Orlando Pirates  4th      SA Knockout Cup winners!

2028/29     Orlando Pirates   2nd    SA FA Cup winners!

2029/30     Orlando Pirates   1st     League Winners! SA FA Cup winners!

2030          Orlando Pirates    1st     Champions League winners!

2031          Unemployed

2031/32    Stoke                      17th   Left after two months five points clear of the drop zone

2031/32    West Ham              9th     FA Cup winners!

2032/33    West Ham              5th     Europa League winners!

2033/34    West Ham              1st     League winners!

Country

2021           Ivory Coast         Qualified for the World Cup

2022           Ivory Coast         World Cup quarter finalists. Quarter finalists in CHAN. Qualified for African Cup of Nations

2023          Ivory Coast         African Cup of Nations winners!

2024          Unemployed

2025          USA                     Qualified for World Cup

2026          USA                     Lost in World Cup Semi Final (finished 3rd). Upto 5th in the world

2027          USA                     North American Gold Cup winners!              

2028          USA                     World Cup qualification is going well

2029          USA                     Lost in Confederations Cup Semi Final (finished 4th)

2030         Unemployed

2031         South Korea       East Asia Cup winners!

2032         South Korea       Qualification for the World Cup is going well

2033         South Korea       Qualification for the World Cup is going well

2034         South Korea       Qualified for World Cup

Challenge Progress

Club

6/10 top domestic leagues - Republic of Ireland (Sligo), China (Tianjin), USA (Montreal), Netherlands (Ajax), South Africa (Orlando Pirates), England (West Ham)

5/10 domestic cups - Northern Ireland (Dungannon), China (Tianjin), Brazil (Palmeiras), South Africa (Orlando Pirates), England (West Ham)

4/5 club continental championships - Asian Champions League (Tianjin), NACL (Montreal Impact), African Champions League (Orlando Pirates), Europa League (West Ham)

0/1 club world championship -

International

2/5 continental tournaments - African Cup of Nations (Ivory Coast 2023), North American Gold Cup (USA 2027)

0/2 world tournaments -

Stevenage_Football_Club.png.5d446f708ba762cacf40601d95f42896.png

Season 1 2017/2018

Appointment    Squad 1    Squad 2      End of season awards    Play off final    Transfers    Results

This is my 3rd attempt at this challenge having been sacked by Cobresal and Wycombe, i was hoping for third time lucky and this was the case. Appointed in December with the team sitting in a disappointing 16th place, the board had expectations of finishing in the top half of the table. Having looked at the squad, I knew a couple of decent loan players would see us achieve this. Actually very impressed with the amount of young talent on Stevenage's books, this being my first time ever managing them. As you can see, we got off to a brilliant start, before suffering our worst run of the season with 3 losses in a row. After that we never really looked back, and could have made the automatic promotion places with a couple more wins. The loss at coventry ended our push for the top 3 and left us with the lottery that is the play offs. An over achievement in it self, given where we were when i took over. We beat Lincoln 3-2 on agg in the semis before thumping Mansfield 4-2 in the final, the final should have been a cricket score but I was just delighted with the win. So its onto league 1. I don't mind staying here for another season or 2, as we have some cracking players, however the clubs finances are slowly improving, and i'm hoping to start my coaching badges soon. 

CLUB CAREER	
						Leagues		Cups
Season	Nation	League		Club		1st	2nd	1st	2nd	Cont	CWC	Other Notes and Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17/18	Eng	L2		Stevenage	5th	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	Won Play Off final. Manager Of The Month x1. Appointed 16/12/2017

CHALLENGE PROGRESS

CLUB

0/10 Top Domestic Leagues
	0/10 Domestic Cups
	0/5 Club Continental Championships
	0/0 Club World Cups

International

0/5 Continental Tournaments
	0/2 World Tournaments

Edited by Lewis89

3 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@numero uno gunner Good to have you back. 

@Lewis89 I'd imagine surviving that first job is tough on FM18. Glad you're going to keep trying.

I think its this new dynamics thing. Seems players instantly have a problem with you for being so young and inexperienced. I have managed to get the Stevenage players onside so its not impossible, just harder. 

14 hours ago, streety said:

Hope you do better at stevenage, My save is going well I'm still at Mattersburg in Austria. I came close to the title in my 1st Full season and was knocked out of the cup at the semi final stage then got to the final but lost the season just gone. I'm close to a trophy of some description. My board want me to get to the third qualifying round of the CL but i face PSV so not feeling confident.

PSV before the 3rd Qualifying round is harsh.. The new seeding in the European qualifiers has made it more difficult for the lesser nations teams to qualify it seems. I'm sure ill suffer from that myself in this save at some point.

Stevenage_Football_Club.png.d8007eb44d5ae8d2c381e1e1af71e58c.png

Season 2 2018/19

League Table    Results 1    Results 2   Squad     Transfers    End Of Season Awards

Its been a historic campaign for Stevenage. We managed to defy pre season expectations of a relegation battle by storming to a record 2nd place finish, with it achieving promotion to the championship. We managed to bag a league 1 record of 121 goals. With our front 4 of Thierry Ambrose, Matt Godden, Alex Samuel and Joe Willock scoring an amazing 91 between them. Ambrose breaking the League 1 record for goals scored with 42 in 43 games. Willock and Ambrose are both loanees who i will be trying to resign ahead of next season. Having conceded 72 though, the 6th highest amount in the league, our defense will definitely struggle so will need to improve in that department. We also managed to hold Totenham to a 0-0 home draw in the F.A Cup third round, giving us a money spinning replay. We banked around £1m from this tie alone, and this allowed me to finally start my Coaching Badges I'm not realistically gonna get any of the needed trophies at Stevenage, so will be looking to move on asap. I have had a couple of job offers, but with them all coming from league 1 clubs, i think ill remain at Stevenage until a better side comes available. 

CLUB CAREER	
						Leagues		Cups
Season	Nation	League		Club		1st	2nd	1st	2nd	Cont	CWC	Other Notes and Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------	
17/18	Eng	L2		Stevenage	5th	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	Won Play Off final. Manager Of The Month x1.
18/19	Eng	L1		Stevenage	2nd		3rd	2nd	n/a	n/a	Promoted to Championship, Manager Of The Month x1, 	

CHALLENGE PROGRESS

CLUB

0/10 Domestic Cups
	0/0 Club World Cups

International

0/2 World Tournaments

Well it was short lived in the Champions league, the team then dropped into the Europa League and after drawing Dinamo Moscow i knew it was going to be hard to even hit our season target. We gave it a good go 

Leg 1

hwmq91.jpg

Leg 2

30a47d5.jpg

The team never gave up until the end,  The lottery of penalties...:(

On 24-1-2018 at 03:36, vikeologist said:

@GloryFan2002 Certainly is hard on FM17 to get a club job when you're an international manager. Anyway, congrats on the champions league. Look forward to following your next adventure.

@Cross Hope your spell at São Paulo is going well. Can't say that managing in Brazil appeals to me all that much, (because of the long seasons), but when I do try this challenge again, I guess I'll have to go there because I didn't have a lot of success winning the Libertadores from any other nation.

Oh your so right. I just finished the State championship (won) and I already feel that I managed for a season, while I still have to play 50+ games... This country is great for developing youngsters because of the many match opportunities, but for this challenge it is horrible. 

Does the State championship count as a cup or league win by the way?

5a7836eab8de5_th(1).jpg.3e5344b86f34c033409e589c4bd15a64.jpg

Season 3 2019/20

Appointment    Season Preview    Results    Squad    League Table

I started the season in charge of Stevenage, but on the look out for a better job. I had an interview with Southampton before the season kicked off, but they decided to appoint Fernando Hierro. Putting this dissapointment behind me i moved on with Stevenage and was actually doing amazingly well, 36 games in, sitting in 4th position, well in the race for 2nd spot. Then we faced Southampton in the FA CUP 4th round and demolished them 4-2. The next day Hierro was gone and I was offered the chance of an interview. I accepted, awnsered the usual questions and waited a few long weeks, on March 16th i was offered the job. Sitting 7th in the league, but with a squad way too good for this level, it was a no brainer. The Transfer budget of £112m compared to £0 at Stevenage was also a deciding factor.  After taking over, we won our first 6 games starting with a 3-1 win against Millwall, thus sealing 2nd place and promotion to the Premier League, for the final 2 games i tested out some of the promising youngsters in my youth sides and things didnt go so well, the squad is already at a decent level for the Prem, how they got relegated the season before i dont know. With a few additions, I think a cup win is possible. This season I also managed to start my National B Coaching license, and also reached 100 games in football management.

CLUB CAREER	
						Leagues		Cups
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------	
17/18	Eng	L2		Stevenage	5th	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	Won Play Off final. Manager Of The Month x1.
18/19	Eng	L1		Stevenage	2nd		3rd	2nd	n/a	n/a	Promoted to Championship, Manager Of The Month x1, Gained National C license
18/19	Eng	Championship	Ste/Sou		2nd		6th	2nd	n/a	n/a	Took over at Southampton on 16/3/2019, Promoted to Premier League, Gained National B License,

CHALLENGE PROGRESS

CLUB

0/10 Domestic Cups
	0/0 Club World Cups

International

0/2 World Tournaments

Edited by Lewis89

After watching this thread for a number of years now, I guess it’s time I finally give it a go. I don’t have many, if any, hopes for completion though as I’ve never been good at challenges, or commitment in general I guess. Here goes nothing.

Wuhan_Zall_Football_Club.jpg

I attempted to start in South America, but nothing took my fancy, so like many others I’ve taken my first job in China’s Jia League, with Wuhan Zall set to become my first victim. I’ve taken over with only two games to go though, and a place between 8th-11th guaranteed, so my first update should come at the end of my first full season in charge if all goes well.

5a7b054f54a71_AaronRyan_Inbox.thumb.png.7616526d1153ade73b4e8d1815992482.png5a7b05526f5b3_AaronRyan_MyProfileProfile.thumb.png.87c955818b958872e735be77a6136eb4.png

3 hours ago, Aaron Ryan said:

After watching this thread for a number of years now, I guess it’s time I finally give it a go. I don’t have many, if any, hopes for completion though as I’ve never been good at challenges, or commitment in general I guess. Here goes nothing.

I attempted to start in South America, but nothing took my fancy, so like many others I’ve taken my first job in China’s Jia League, with Wuhan Zall set to become my first victim. I’ve taken over with only two games to go though, and a place between 8th-11th guaranteed, so my first update should come at the end of my first full season in charge if all goes well.

5a7b054f54a71_AaronRyan_Inbox.thumb.png.7616526d1153ade73b4e8d1815992482.png5a7b05526f5b3_AaronRyan_MyProfileProfile.thumb.png.87c955818b958872e735be77a6136eb4.png

good luck mate. Nice to see someone else getting involved. 

Wuhan Zall – 2017

Well that failed miserably. For the first time in FM18, I experienced the power of the dynamics system in full force. Despite actually winning the two remaining games, the players obviously felt humiliated to be managed by such a lowly English fool and wanted me gone. Even when I agreed to sell our two best players at the behest of the squad, it wasn’t enough, and I had 17 (yes 17) members of the first team demanding that I p**s off. I’d been their 3 months and they already hated me! Safe to say I couldn’t be bothered to fight, and I duly obliged with their ‘oh so polite’ request.

5a7b6f67e6e6c_AaronRyan_Inbox-2.thumb.png.c858fce3d689b4930182fae1a186f634.png5a7b6f6b62ae8_AaronRyan_Inbox-3.thumb.png.ba876e16c345afd59777d2b3bae715fc.png5a7b6f6d4aaa6_AaronRyan_Inbox-4.thumb.png.f2a58133e19b80ff4ee262d5dcc71c3c.png5a7b6f62d2c3d_AaronRyan_Inbox.thumb.png.e131614bd0c03860a63ae3e71ac11231.png

Where to next then? All I know, is that it’s going to be a far from China as f*****g possible!  

@Lewis89 Thanks for the welcome

CLUB CAREER									

League		Cups				
Season	Country	Club		1st	2nd	1st	2nd	Cont.	CWC	Other/Notes

2017	CHN 2	Wuhan Zall	9th						Took over with 2 games remaining, in 10th

Challenge Progress:

Club:

0/10 top domestic leagues

0/10 domestic cups

0/5 club continental championships

0/1 club world championship

International:

0/5 continental tournaments

0/2 world tournaments

2021/22 West Ham/Switzerland

logo_westham.png2000px-Flag_of_Switzerland_(Pantone).svg

So after the disaster that was my time in the Ivory Coast, I found a new club and international job. Both teams are very good but have had tough times. Laurent Blanc has left me with a West Ham team full of amazing players. From goalkeeper Predrag Rajkovic and central midfielder James Ward-Prowse to wonderkid regens Kyllian Dupont and Thomas Kerner. The Switzerland job became available as they finished behind both Scotland and Romania and dropped out of the European Nations League Division A. They have some really good young player such as Southampton star Andre Bieri and Swansea star David Haberthur as well as experienced players such as Atletico Madrids Breel Embolo and Stoke star Xherdan Shaqiri, they also have some young regens who I will attempt to sign at West Ham such as Grasshoppers Bryan Tarone.

Competitions-  I took over the team after 21 games with the team in 15th and already out of the cup after being knocked out 3rd round by MK Dons. We managed to climb to 12th after giving some youngsters chances in the final few games some highlights of the season were 16 year old Roddy Phillips becoming the young Prem goalscorer with a 90th minute equalizer and James Ward-Prowse scoring 2 goals and getting 3 assists with a bandage around his head after recieving a gashed head early in a 5-1 win over Bournemouth

Player of The Season- James Ward-Prowse- Our vice-captain played in 4 different positions for me (DM,CM,CAM and RW) and played very well in all of those games. His best game was definitely the aforementioned Bournemouth game and he has definitely deserved his place in the English team for the World Cup (joke, they choked and were beaten out by France (who are now the World Number 1s).

Future Plans- Try to sign as many young Swiss players as well as improving our team. Both of these teams are projects despite West Ham currently being predicted 7th for the Prem. So far I've only played 2 friendlies with Switzerland, a 1-1 draw with Belgium and a 3-2 win over Spain (with a hat-trick from Breel Embolo), so I am hoping that those performances might lead to a very good 2024 European Championship campaign. I have managed to get my Continential Pro Licence which completes my badges.

|Year|Club|League|League Position|Cup Finish|Notes|POTS
|2016/17|Airbus UK Broughton|Welsh Premier League|7th|3rd Round|Joined after 23 games in 9th|Ryan Edwards
|2017/18|Airbus UK Broughton|Welsh Premier League|5th|Runners-Up|Left at end of season|James Owen
|2018|Guizhou Zhicheng|Chinese Jia League|1st|4th Round|Joined after 22 games in 1st|Tjaronn Chery
|2019|Guizhou Zhicheng|Chinese Super League|13th|4th Round|Survived first season in Super League|Tjaronn Chery
|2020|Guizhou Zhicheng|Chinese Super League|11th|N/A|Left after 4 games into the season|N/A
|2019/20|Brisbane Roar|Australian A-League|3rd|Semi-Final|Joined after 25 games. Won A-League|Erik Paartalu
|2020/21|Brisbane Roar|Australian A-League|7th|2nd Round|Won ACL left mid-season|Tommy Oar
|2021/22|West Ham|English Premier League|12th|3rd Round|Joined after 21 games in 15th|James Ward-Prowse

1/10 Domestic Leagues (Australia (Brisbane Roar 2019/20))
0/10 Domestic Cups
1/5 Continential Competitions (Asia (Brisbane Roar 2020))
0/1 Club World Cup

|Year|Nation|Ranking|Notes
|2018|Ivory Coast U23|N/A|No games played so far
|2019|Ivory Coast U23|N/A|Won the U23 African Cup of Nations
|2021|Ivory Coast|49|Missed out on WC Qualification and resigned from role in October
|2022|Switzerland|28|Only friendlies played

0/5 Continential Competitions
0/2 International Competitions

2/33 Total Completion

kr.png

World Cup 2034

South Korea

I've already landed another club-job pre-world cup (more on that in my next update), but first I had to negotiate the small matter of the World Cup.

This will be a short update. We lost our opening game to the Netherlands 3-2, after being 2-1 up at half time. They just had too much class for us in the second half. Where I could call upon players from the domestic Korean league off the bench, they were bringing on players from the best leagues around Europe. Brazil were up next, and we lost 4-2. To be honest, I felt this was a pretty credible result. We ended our World Cup campaign with a 1-1 draw against Serbia.

The big question was would that be enough to keep my job? I've spent three years building towards next year's Asian Cup of Nations, so to be sacked now would be absolutely gutting. Thankfully, the South Korean FA have decided that I'm the man to keep this team ticking over, so I'm still employed. Roll on the Asian Cup of Nations (is that what its called?) next year!

Club
Season        Team             Position      Notes and Achievements
2016/17      Dungannon     9th            Irish Cup winners, Mid-Ulster Cup winners

2018            Sligo Rovers    1st             League winners!

2019            Tianjin              1st             League winners!

2020            Tianjin              8th            FA Cup winners! Champions League winners!

2021            Montreal         4th            League (MLS Cup) winners!

2022            Montreal         1st             Won MLS Supporters' Shield, currently in last 8 of NACL

2023            Montreal          N/A          NACL winners!

2023            Palmeiras        9th           Brazilian Cup winners!

2024/25      Ajax                  1st            League winners!

2025/26     Unemployed

2026/27     Orlando Pirates  8th      Took over with 10 games to go.

2027/28     Orlando Pirates  4th      SA Knockout Cup winners!

2028/29     Orlando Pirates   2nd    SA FA Cup winners!

2029/30     Orlando Pirates   1st     League Winners! SA FA Cup winners!

2030          Orlando Pirates    1st     Champions League winners!

2031          Unemployed

2031/32    Stoke                      17th   Left after two months five points clear of the drop zone

2031/32    West Ham              9th     FA Cup winners!

2032/33    West Ham              5th     Europa League winners!

2033/34    West Ham              1st     League winners!

Country

2021           Ivory Coast         Qualified for the World Cup

2022           Ivory Coast         World Cup quarter finalists. Quarter finalists in CHAN. Qualified for African Cup of Nations

2023          Ivory Coast         African Cup of Nations winners!

2024          Unemployed

2025          USA                     Qualified for World Cup

2026          USA                     Lost in World Cup Semi Final (finished 3rd). Upto 5th in the world

2027          USA                     North American Gold Cup winners!              

2028          USA                     World Cup qualification is going well

2029          USA                     Lost in Confederations Cup Semi Final (finished 4th)

2030         Unemployed

2031         South Korea       East Asia Cup winners!

2032         South Korea       Qualification for the World Cup is going well

2033         South Korea       Qualification for the World Cup is going well

2034         South Korea       Knocked out of the group stage of the World Cup

Challenge Progress

Club

6/10 top domestic leagues - Republic of Ireland (Sligo), China (Tianjin), USA (Montreal), Netherlands (Ajax), South Africa (Orlando Pirates), England (West Ham)

5/10 domestic cups - Northern Ireland (Dungannon), China (Tianjin), Brazil (Palmeiras), South Africa (Orlando Pirates), England (West Ham)

4/5 club continental championships - Asian Champions League (Tianjin), NACL (Montreal Impact), African Champions League (Orlando Pirates), Europa League (West Ham)

0/1 club world championship -

International

2/5 continental tournaments - African Cup of Nations (Ivory Coast 2023), North American Gold Cup (USA 2027)

0/2 world tournaments -

@numero uno gunner Congrats on not getting sacked. Are you feeling fairly confident about your Asian Cup chances? Are any of the other Asian sides going to pose a challenge?

@GloryFan2002 So you're following N1G at West Ham. Be interesting to see if you can take them to glory quicker than N1G's 3 seasons; or at all. Are you looking for jobs at bigger sides or nations?

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 05:53, Aaron Ryan said:

Where to next then? All I know, is that it’s going to be a far from China as f*****g possible!  

@Aaron Ryan This is pretty much the way I feel about my actual real life with my contract up in June. Anyway, welcome to the challenge if I hadn't already said that. Why didn't you just sell your unhappy foreigners? Anyway, I'd imagine dynamics certainly would be tough at the start of the challenge. They were in my attempt, which I may resume when and if I finish the dafuge challenge. Like you, I am planning to leave my squad of ungrateful brats behind once I've fulfilled my promise to the board to stay at least 6 months. Funny that the 6 months are actually going to take more than 6 months in real life due to my hating FM18 so much. 

Hope you keep going in the challenge. Maybe with the dynamics it's sensible to not take the highest possible level of first job one can get, (which has been a good idea in every previous version) just so you get a chance to get bedded in, but in this case, maybe you should just have let the players go. Making people stay in China? What kind of monster are you?

@Lewis89 I expect we've had this conversation before, but weren't you one of the first ever people to try the challenge when it started three and a half years ago? Anyway, good luck at Southampton. Very quick progress up the leagues. be interesting to see how long you choose 9or are forced to) stay at Southampton.

@streety I know this is ancient history now, but hard luck going out on penalties. Hope your attempt at the league title is going well.

@vikeologist nah, I am looking to stay at West Ham for the foreseeable future, well at least until the 2024 Euros as both my West Ham side and Switzerland side are very strong. If one of the top 6 (maybe bar Spurs) offer me a job, I will take it though.

Edited by GloryFan2002

Image result for royal eagles

So I got my first job! I had the choice between Crawley in League 1 or the Royal Eagles in RSA. I have managed a million times in England and I want a slow build up by winning in the less reputable continent first so this is the prefect opportunity. The issue I have is that we are bottom of the league! 

image.thumb.png.16f9e3805d9e72c20bbf36c6b601f819.png

13 games in and in a bit of trouble. I have 17 games to turn it around! Looking forward to getting started

On 15/02/2018 at 02:18, vikeologist said:

@numero uno gunner Congrats on not getting sacked. Are you feeling fairly confident about your Asian Cup chances? Are any of the other Asian sides going to pose a challenge?

@GloryFan2002 So you're following N1G at West Ham. Be interesting to see if you can take them to glory quicker than N1G's 3 seasons; or at all. Are you looking for jobs at bigger sides or nations?

@Aaron Ryan This is pretty much the way I feel about my actual real life with my contract up in June. Anyway, welcome to the challenge if I hadn't already said that. Why didn't you just sell your unhappy foreigners? Anyway, I'd imagine dynamics certainly would be tough at the start of the challenge. They were in my attempt, which I may resume when and if I finish the dafuge challenge. Like you, I am planning to leave my squad of ungrateful brats behind once I've fulfilled my promise to the board to stay at least 6 months. Funny that the 6 months are actually going to take more than 6 months in real life due to my hating FM18 so much. 

Hope you keep going in the challenge. Maybe with the dynamics it's sensible to not take the highest possible level of first job one can get, (which has been a good idea in every previous version) just so you get a chance to get bedded in, but in this case, maybe you should just have let the players go. Making people stay in China? What kind of monster are you?

@Lewis89 I expect we've had this conversation before, but weren't you one of the first ever people to try the challenge when it started three and a half years ago? Anyway, good luck at Southampton. Very quick progress up the leagues. be interesting to see how long you choose 9or are forced to) stay at Southampton.

@streety I know this is ancient history now, but hard luck going out on penalties. Hope your attempt at the league title is going well.

no not me mate. i only discovered these forums at the tail end of fm17, so waited for 18 to start getting involved. Wish i had known about them earlier as ive found some great reads. 

Season 2020/21 SV Mattersburg

2nlaa2f.jpg

Cup

After coming close to the Cup the previous seasons I was eying this one a A nervy few games but we progressed none the less and for some reason the league form was not the same as my cup performances which concerned me, The club made it to the later stages. The semi final was a game to note, The team got the lead but the game bore on into a draw both teams going for it at the end but it went to penalties, After what like seemed forever we claimed our second final after a 15 – 16 penalty win part one of my double was in the bag as we won the Final  1-0

League

The league campaign started well the team playing well and moving into 3rd and the team quickly hit top spot the formation I was plying was the same to when I started so the players were getting familiar with it, The team went on a good run a few blips here and there but looked good for the title, just had to hope Red Bull would slip up. The run in was close 4 teams in the mix. The team slipped up when we should of clinched the title Then I had to sel my Number 1 goalkeeper for 2million to CSKA Moscow so it went to the penultimate game . We Did it My first title in the bag and with it a double was achieved.

n1fqf9.jpg

BOOM!

1rakg2.jpg

Seasons transfers

Europe

Never really going to make a impact in Europe and we went out, would liked to have gone further but not to be

Overall

A great season finally winning two trophies on a sour note my number 1 was sold but luckily it did not effect us to badly. With that its time to leave and find my next Adventure, During the season I was offered the Wales job and the Wolves job which I declined, Looks like im making my name and getting noticed

Previous Club Watch

Fram finished In 9th place they seem to be struggling

Season   Team                                                  Position  Notes and Achievements

2018     Knattspyrnufélagið Fram     Inkassodeildin              2nd       League Runners up PROMOTED! 

2019     Knattspyrnufélagið Fram     Pepsi-deild karla          2nd       Cup Winners

2019/20   SV Mattersburg            tipico Bundasliga               8th

2020/21   SV Mattersburg            tipico Bundasliga              2nd

2021/22  SV Mattersburg             tipico Bundasliga             1st     LEAGUE WINNERS, CUP WINNERS!

Challenge Progress

Club

1/10 top domestic leagues (Austria)

2/10 domestic cups (Iceland, Austria)

0/5 club continental championships ()

0/1 club world championship

International

0/5 continental tournaments ()

0/2 world tournaments ()

So after my Austrian Jaunt it was time to leave and head to pastures new, it took some time but i am now in a new Job in December.. business end of the season, ok In Spain, thats good at??

30jobqw.jpg

Thats not bad!...in 20th place...ahhh. Ronald Koemans left me with a big job to do..:applause::seagull::eek:

2022/23 West Ham/Switzerland

logo_westham.png2000px-Flag_of_Switzerland_(Pantone).svg

A pretty good season for both West Ham and Switzerland with silverware coming for both. I had some very nice signings for West Ham such as Josh Tymon (25m from Stoke), Raheem Sterling (11.75m from Man C), regen Dane Blumberg (2m from Sydney FC) and Arturo Vidal (free), without losing any key players (Mark Noble is an absolute legend convincing all our top players to stay). For Switzerland, we got a fairly easy European Championship Qualifying Draw as well as getting promoted to the European Nations League Division 1.

Competitions- We won the FA Cup!!! A sub-par league performance was made a lot better with a 3-2 extra time winner in the final against Chelsea with Raheem Sterlings winner. In the league Manchester United were unstoppable completing an undefeated season under Jose Mourinho. I didn't really care about the EFL Cup only using it to give backup Freddie Woodman a go as Predrag Rajkovic was unconvincing in goal this season.

Player of the Season- Wesley Hoedt- the Dutch centre-back was very consistent in a very inconsistent team performance over the season. The ex-Lazio man was very good providing 7.07 rating across 37 games.

Future Plans- Stay at West Ham for at least another season. Well at least until the European Championships are over next year. I might try to go for a win or bust in the league next year going for big wins in every single game next year to try to get the league title. Might not be easy with Manchester United however.

|Year|Club|League|League Position|Cup Finish|Notes|POTS
|2016/17|Airbus UK Broughton|Welsh Premier League|7th|3rd Round|Joined after 23 games in 9th|Ryan Edwards
|2017/18|Airbus UK Broughton|Welsh Premier League|5th|Runners-Up|Left at end of season|James Owen
|2018|Guizhou Zhicheng|Chinese Jia League|1st|4th Round|Joined after 22 games in 1st|Tjaronn Chery
|2019|Guizhou Zhicheng|Chinese Super League|13th|4th Round|Survived first season in Super League|Tjaronn Chery
|2020|Guizhou Zhicheng|Chinese Super League|11th|N/A|Left after 4 games into the season|N/A
|2019/20|Brisbane Roar|Australian A-League|3rd|Semi-Final|Joined after 25 games. Won A-League|Erik Paartalu
|2020/21|Brisbane Roar|Australian A-League|7th|2nd Round|Won ACL left mid-season|Tommy Oar
|2021/22|West Ham|English Premier League|12th|3rd Round|Joined after 21 games in 15th|James Ward-Prowse
|2022/23|West Ham|English Premier League|10th|Winners|Won FA Cup|Wesley Hoedt

1/10 Domestic Leagues (Australia (Brisbane Roar 2019/20))
1/10 Domestic Cups (England (West Ham 2022/23))
1/5 Continential Competitions (Asia (Brisbane Roar 2020))
0/1 Club World Cup

|Year|Nation|Ranking|Notes
|2018|Ivory Coast U23|N/A|No games played so far
|2019|Ivory Coast U23|N/A|Won the U23 African Cup of Nations
|2021|Ivory Coast|49|Missed out on WC Qualification and resigned from role in October
|2022|Switzerland|28|Only friendlies played
|2023|Switzerland|46|Won European Nations League Division 2

0/5 Continential Competitions
0/2 International Competitions

3/33 Total Completion

so having learned that on my previous save id failed to install the real club names fix for the likes of Brazil ( a league i plan on managing in) I have decided to restart the challenge. this time im going to go the more traditional route. starting in China with Beijing Renhe. Season update to follow soon.

Edited by Lewis89

BR.jpg.6d7b77d594d1dc4856c30e7865a8bb62.jpg

Season 1 2018

Season Preview    Squad    Transfers    Results 1    Results 2    End Of Season Awards    Manager Profile

After being appointed in December 2017, I had plenty of time to build a team ready for the 2018 season starting in March. Beijing already possessed a decent side, and having added a few extra players, we stormed to the league title, including an amazing 21 game winning streak in all competitions. We also managed to get to the semi finals of the F.A cup before losing to eventual winners Hebei China Fortune. All in though a very good season, and with a couple of additions, i think challenging for the top 4 shouldn't be out of the question next season. With the club being comfortable financially, 2 days after being appointed, I started my first Coaching Badge (national C license), and have since gone on to complete the B license, and start the National A license. I also managed to win Manager of the year, which i hope will be the first of many.

CLUB CAREER	
						Leagues		Cups
2018	CHI	CJL		Beijing Renhe	1st		SF				Appointed DEC 2017, Gained C & B License, Manager of the Season

CHALLENGE PROGRESS

CLUB

0/10 Domestic Cups
	0/0 Club World Cups

International

0/2 World Tournaments

Other Achievements
	Chinease Jia League Winners (Beijing Renhe 2018), 

Edited by Lewis89

54 minutes ago, GloryFan2002 said:

@Lewis89good job on the promotion are you going to try to win the CSL with Beijing or look for another club

Cheers mate. Not sure atm, i'm 14 games into the csl season and am currently 3rd, i don't think Beijing have the resources. I have applied for the hebei job, and been interviewed. They're an all round better side and last season won the Chinese double but have already been knocked out the ACL. Decision time soon. Hows your challenge going?

Update: Didn't get the Hebei job, lost out to Roger Schmidt so i will be staying with Beijing for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Lewis89

@Lewis89 Always interesting to see people managing Renhe, as they were the first team I (very briefly) ever managed in the challenge, before quickly quitting and starting again having learned that it really helps in this challenge if you check that you're not walking into a total s##tshow. Good luck next season. 

@GloryFan2002 Congrats on the FA Cup. Be interesting to see how far you can take your 2 sides.

@streety Wow, I go back about 5 posts and you took over Bilbao nearly 2 weeks ago. Hope you're doing well there, or at the very least doing. Congrats on your Tyrolean triumph.

Just now, vikeologist said:

@Lewis89 Always interesting to see people managing Renhe, as they were the first team I (very briefly) ever managed in the challenge, before quickly quitting and starting again having learned that it really helps in this challenge if you check that you're not walking into a total s##tshow. Good luck next season. 

@GloryFan2002 Congrats on the FA Cup. Be interesting to see how far you can take your 2 sides.

@streety Wow, I go back about 5 posts and you took over Bilbao nearly 2 weeks ago. Hope you're doing well there, or at the very least doing. Congrats on your Tyrolean triumph.

Thats never a good thing. They wasnt in such a state luckily for me, and Nikica Jelavic is surprisingly good in these corners of the globe. 

BR.jpg.a059a13ec2313a6a29819b5d5232401a.jpg

Season 2 2019

Season Preview    Squad    Transfers    Results 1    Results 2     End of season awards    Manager Profile   Competitions 

It turned out to be an historic season for Beijing Renhe, and one that was totally unexpected. We ended the season with a brilliant double, winning the CSL  for the first time in the clubs history in dramatic fashion. Sitting in 2nd with 1 game to go, we managed to pull off a 2-1 win away at 3rd placed Shanghai SIPG, whilst 1st placed Guangzhou Evergrande could only manage a 1-1 draw handing us the title.  Final day results. We also managed to win the CFA cup, easily beating Liaoning 4-0 o aggregate. Along the way this season I have also managed to secure my National A licenseContinental C license and start the Continental B license. Which should really help me when i decide to move on from China. I can focus solely on the Champions League next season having won the league and cup this season, but Im still not sure if my squad will cope with the likes of jeonbuk and co. In other news, I was interviewed for the Hebei and Tianjin Quanjian roles, but was deemed the wrong candidate. And have failed with applying for the Denmark, Senegal and Columbia jobs. I would like to get started on the international front as soon as possible so will keep applying.

CLUB CAREER	
						Leagues		Cups
2018	CHI	CJL		Beijing Renhe	1st		SF				Appointed DEC 2017, Gained C & B License, Manager of the Season
2019	CHI	CSL		Beijing Renhe	1st		WON				Gained National A, CON C License, Manager of the season, Double Winners

CHALLENGE PROGRESS

CLUB

1/10 Top Domestic Leagues	CSL-Beijing Renhe 2019,
	1/10 Domestic Cups		CFA-Beijing Renhe 2019,
	0/1 Club World Cups

International

0/2 World Tournaments
	2/33 Total Achievments

Other Achievements
	Chinease Jia League Winners (Beijing Renhe 2018), 

1 hour ago, GloryFan2002 said:

@Lewis89amazing job winning CSL first season, good luck in the ACL.

Cheers. Its been a lot easier than I thought it would be. Kept with the same 424 as i had in the CJL and it worked wonders.

BR.jpg.7819f6fe23c57268e48302cc1b322c49.jpg

Season 3 2020

Season Preview    Season Review    Squad    Transfers    Results 1    Results 2    End of season awards    Manager Profile

Another historic season for Beijing Renhe, who romped home to a treble of CSL title, CFA super cup and a very first ACL title. It was amazingly easy this season, with my only real target being the ACL, i decided to play basically a 2nd team for all league games before a continental fixture, was not sure how this was gonna work out, but to my surprise, we ended up losing just once all season in the league. The sole loss was to Shanghai SIPG in our 27th fixture, leaving us with a new CSL league record of 47 games unbeaten including the previous season. I think this is my longest ever unbeaten run on any version of FM/CM and came as a huge surprise.

In the ACL, the draw was kind, putting us in Group F  featuring Perth Glory, Yokohama Marinos and Jeonbuk. After our first game to Jeonbuk I feared the worse, but the team soon adapted by winning our remaining 5 fixtures to top the group. Onto the last 16 and we faced Fc Seoul, beating them 5-0 on aggregate. In the QF it was an all Chinese tie, and after a tense 0-0 home leg, we dispatched Shanghai 4-2 in the away fixture. In the SF it was Seongnam and after losing the 1st leg 2-1 away, a 4-1 home victory put us into the clubs first ever Champions league final. A two legged tie against Al-Ahli (KSA). We killed the tie off in the 1st leg at home, a comfortable 4-1 victory meaning losing the 2nd leg 1-0 had no meaning.  A nice bonus was that the Club World Cup starts instantly after the ACL finishes and we Managed to defy the odds to finish in 3rd place. Beating Auckland 4-1 AET in the QF before being predictably outclassed by Real Madrid in the SF's 4-1. We faced Santos in the 3rd placed play off game and ended up taking them to penalties, before winning the tie. 

I will now be moving on from China and Asia on the club front, but am still struggling to get any international roles. Hopefully this wont carry on for long and i can get a national role in either Africa or Asia. Clubwise I am not sure where i am going to go just yet, maybe North America or Africa but this depends on the clubs available. 

As this is my last Beijing update i feel i should mention and show a few of the better players in the side. 

Tomas Conechny - signed for £1.2m. Proved a bargain with 28 goals and 28 assists in 38 games.

Caio - Winger who had that bit of magic about him.

Nicolas Freire - Defensive stalwart.

Liang Xiangqian  - Young Gk, who could go on and play in Europe. Ill keep track of hes career.

Gao Zhijie - The surprise of the season, signed as a back up St. Ended up with 35 goals and 13 assists in 45 games. 

CLUB CAREER	
						Leagues		Cups
2019	CHI	CSL		Beijing Renhe	1st		WON				Gained National A, CON C License, Manager of the season, Double Winners
2020	CHI	CSL		Beijing Renhe	1st		R.U		WON	3RD	Gained CON B License, Manager of the year, CSL & ACL Winners, Resigned on 22/12/2020

CHALLENGE PROGRESS

CLUB

1/10 Top Domestic Leagues		CSL-Beijing Renhe 2019,
	1/10 Domestic Cups			CFA-Beijing Renhe 2019,
	1/5 Club Continental Championships	Asia-Beijing Renhe 2020, 
	0/1 Club World Cups

International

0/2 World Tournaments

All Achievements

Beijing Renhe - Chinese Jia League 2018. Chinese Super League 2019, 2020. Asian Champions League 2020. Chinese FA Cup 2019. Chinese Super Cup 2020. Manager of the season 2018, 2019, 2020.

Edited by Lewis89

Atlanta.jpg.4fa887570bfbe32bdda66ec16df065de.jpg

Appointment

The next step on my Journey has taken me to Atlanta United in the MLS. Runners up in the MLS cup last season, but already in the 2nd round of the CONCACAF Champions League, they was an obvious choice. 

UPDATE: I have also managed to get my first international role. Senegal have hired me ahead of the 2021 AFCON, with a world cup in 2022 I may stay on (if i'm not sacked) and see how that goes, Senegal have a really strong squad so this could be a great chance to tick of the AFCON.

Edited by Lewis89

14 hours ago, streety said:

@Lewis89 Good luck in America

Cheers. The registration rules are confusing, and so is trying to sign anyone from another MLS club, I hope to win whats required and get outta here rather quickly.

On 02/03/2018 at 13:55, Lewis89 said:

Cheers. The registration rules are confusing, and so is trying to sign anyone from another MLS club, I hope to win whats required and get outta here rather quickly.

Yeah i hear you, Here in Spain im regretting my decision to join Bilbao