The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge - Silver Age Archive

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For example in Mexico it shows the opening and closing stage winners.Ā 

image.thumb.png.573e0010fd61130660c8511c7535f607.png

Just looked at Colombia's league and the opening and closing are separate winners.Ā  The history shows separate "seasons" via a drop down box.Ā  The Primera AĀ Ā finishes at 2001 so either opening or closing stages count.

image.thumb.png.88eeb3c03ec710aa295d8a14e428e840.png

Ā 

My new club job isn't in Mexico but a bit further south in Brazil with Sao Paulo.Ā  I took over when they were in 17th position and so far it's going well and am hopeful I can sneak Libertadores qualification.

Edited by blackdevil

8 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Thanks for the info guys, so cos I only won the 2nd half of the season so I will stick with Deportivo Pereria for this season as I am in the Copa Libertarodes as well so will try win the league in both parts of the season and also win the Copa Libertarodes as well.

Only one or the other is needed to count for the league win, you don't need to win both.Ā  If you haven't won the cup then it may be worth ticking that off the list too.

Although it is worth giving theĀ LibertadoresĀ a go unless you can get one of the better Argentinian and Brazilian sides.

Edited by blackdevil

@Ronaldo Beckham Congrats on getting on the board. Agree with @blackdevil about the cup. Always worth at least giving a couple of tries to winning the cup in every nation you manage in. Of course you may win the Lib with a Colombian side as well, but having spent 4 or so ultimately fruitless seasons trying to do it with U de Chile, (and in a previous season with an Argentinian side), I'm probably going to resign myself to having to do it with a Brazilian side. It's funny that I won the Lib in my first ever match doing the competition for this challenge, (the only actual time I'm 'done a vike'), and have spent a good few seasons since trying to win it in any of my subsequent matches.

@burtur Welcome back. Do you remember how many trophies you picked up first time around. It's a pity that I lost the original leader board, so now it's just people doing the challenge currently, and actually I don't think that either of the people on it are still going. Hopefully one of the new generation of challenges makes it soon.

@blackdevil Please don't be offended by this question, but what's the furthest you've got on this challenge? I constantly get people mixed up, so sometimes don't remember how people have done. Here's the thing. if somebody completes the challenge and I don't remember, that's on me, but anything less you have to make allowances for my imminent senility.

Better go to work, so, maybe more comments later.

@vikeologistĀ I think the furthest I got was way back when I first did this challenge and started with Seattle.Ā  Won league and cup there and then moved to Mexico I think and won the league/cup and NACL.Ā  Then won the league/cup/CL with Corinthians...Although that's a hazy memoryĀ 

My previous effort I won the league and cup in Greece.Ā  Then I won the league/cup/CL with Newcastle before moving to Marseilles and winning the league and cup there.Ā  Then I moved to Italy but I can't remember who I took over, probably one of the Milan clubs or Lazio.Ā  But I don't think I won anything with them before I stopped playing.Ā  I think I also won the African cup of Nations with Algeria and finished 3rd in Copa America with Uruguay.

And no worries, I forget myself sometimesĀ :)

Edited by blackdevil

@vikeologist Unfortunately I have no record of that save anymore. I am operating on a new computer and didn't copy that saved game. However, I do remember I started in France with Ɖtoile FrĆ©jus Saint-RaphaĆ«l and eventually made them French Champions and Cup Winners. I then moved on to the other European leagues to complete the European leg of the challenge. I am fairly certain I won the Euro Cup with France and the World Cup and the Confederations CUp with Argentina whilst I was managing European clubs. I did win the world club cup as well.Ā 

I then moved to South America where I did win the Copa Libertatores with some Brazilian team...Santos I think...and I am fairly certain I picked up a league and cup there as well. I am not sure though. Pretty Sure I hadn't won the Copa America yet. So towards the challenge I had racked up 6 leagues, 6 domestic cups, the Champions League, Copa Libertatores, World Club Cup, The World Cup, the Confederations Cup and the Euro Cup = 18?

But my reputation was immense and I pretty much could pick the jobs I wanted. I think I was the only one who started there...or maybe one or two others started in Europe, but it was working really well for me.

Edited by burtur

Thank you @burtur.

It wasn't that I wasn't enjoying it, I just feel like it has took me a long time to get this far, I was expecting to get a job in South America then after a year or 2 get a bigger job in Brazil or Argentina, win everything with a top team and move on within a few seasons, I wasted 3 years with Popayan, anyway I am doing well in Copa Libertarodes so hopefully if I win that I can complete the South American part of my journey, I can see me having to do a few extra seasons just to get the domestic cups I need to complete the challenge.

The main thing is to enjoy it which you seem to be doing.Ā  Good luck in the Libertadores.

Just to tempt youĀ :lol:Ā I've been enjoying it so far in Brazil, it's such a competitive league.Ā  I took over Sao Paulo after 11 games played withĀ them in 17th place, I've managed to turn their fortunes aroundĀ and it's looking like a tasty run in for the last 11 games.

image.thumb.png.d27afd14f68b774074244ea55ec8c56d.png

Hi all. Apologies for lack of updates in all honesty I haven't picked the save up in ages and now I've realised why. I'm just not enjoying being at Selangor. The players suck and we are getting worse!

So I'm cutting my losses and resigning. I leave with 1 trophy under my belt but now it's pastures new and a job hunt. I hope to bring you another update tomorrowĀ 

DEPORTIVO PEREIRA UPDATE

I have finished my season with Pereira and Russia manager, I managed to get Russia to the semis of the Euros, losing to France.

I gotĀ  to the the quarter finals of the Copa Libertarodes, losing to Gremio 8-5 on agg.

I managed to win both stages of the league and also the Colombian cup which helps with the challenge.Ā 

David Castaneda was my best player, scoring 53 goals in 66 games, 34 assists and 15 Man Of The Matches.

So where do I go from here, well my time at Pereira is over, my aim is to get a job in Argentina or Brazil now as I think they are my best chance of winning the Copa Libertarodes, annoyingly though I did apply for the Boca Juniors, River Plate and Velez jobs and despite being odds on favorite and after interviews with them they decided to appoint someone else, well annoyed.

I am resigning from being manager of Pereira and Russia and hoping to get another job soon, I will keep you posted.

CLUB

1/10 Top Domestic Leagues
    1/10 Domestic Cups
    0/5 Club Continental Championships
    0/1 Club World Cups

International

1/5 Continental Tournaments
    0/2 World Tournaments

Total titles and cups 3/33

Treble.png

Well It hasn't taken me long to get a new job. I wasn't expecting much. I have my Continental C Licence but my stats still aren't that good. My reputation is "Nominal"

So jobs came, jobs went then then after 3 months of interviews I got an offer which to me seems decent, it's not easy but it's a good challenge in a lead where there isn't one dominant team.

UniĆ³n EspaƱola S.A.D.P.

UniĆ³n EspaƱola crest

They are a Chilean team in the top division currently 13th out of 16 teams with 5 games to go in the season. We need a couple of wins to assure safety.

It seems like they are way down but actually they have been quite successful winning the Chilean League 6 times, most recently 2013 and are predicted to end 6th in the league.

So there is some hard work ahead, I don't mind that as long as my players don't suck like at Selangor, and by the looks of it the squad is pretty good and we have Ā£3m in the transfer kitty!

I managed to get a job in Argentinian Premier League but not a team I have heard of before. the team I took over was Club Mutual Crucero Del Norte.

Club Mutual Crucero del NorteĀ (simply known asĀ Crucero del Norte) is anĀ ArgentineĀ sports clubĀ based inĀ GarupĆ”,Ā Misiones Province. The club was founded in 1989 by a long-distanceĀ busĀ company which gave its name to the institution.

The main Crucero's rival isĀ GuaranĆ­ Antonio FrancoĀ of the same city.

I am going to try bring in some of my former players from Pereira, Castenada being the main one.

Club Mutual Crucero Del Norte.png

Del Norte Pitch.jfif

Del Norte.jfif

@bigjack.se18Ā Congrats on your cup wins.Ā  Which South African cup did you win?Ā  The one that started in October or the one that started in December?Ā 

If it's the October one it doesn't count towards the challenge as it only includes the top flight clubs.Ā  Whereas the one that starts in December is the one that everyone enters and does count.

Edited by blackdevil

1 minute ago, bigjack.se18 said:

Cheers mate. It was the Knockout Cup, which does start in october.Ā ButĀ on the first page of the thread @vikeologistĀ says counts? Ā Think its the super 8 that doesnt count.Ā 

Oooh, my badĀ :seagull:Ā  It must have changed since I last looked.Ā  I remember it being just the FA Cup equivalent that counted.Ā  Although the way my memory is going....

6000319.pngĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 31DIjGfkoGL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Ā 

We won the league again, along with a handful of cups and supercups and what not, including the African Confederation Cup. None of which we care for anymore. We're in the CL group stages, but the bad news is Kaiser Chiefs are in it after all since they won it last year and gained automatic qualification. :(Ā 
The first half of the following season is where it's at. I hate this CL scheduling. Hate it.

The season wasn't entirely fruitless challenge-wise since we got a job with Japan and won the Asian Cup! After the World Cup, Japan and South KoreaĀ were available and Japan were the first to offer me the job. I didn't want to risk losing both so I accepted, even though Korea have a much deeper player pool.
The Cup itself was strange. And by strange I mean I was lucky as fu*k. After the easy business in the groups, I was delighted to see Iran knocked out South Korea in the second round! However, my complacency almost lead us to defeat by the hands of the very same Iran. It was a nervy extra time finish, to say the least.
Furthermore, the only other decent nation (China) left in the competition was knocked out in the semis so I got an easy ride to the trophy.

5a27c72b4fc22_asiancup.thumb.png.cb1a1a156650341314aca20531770f31.png

Ā 

Season Ā  Ā  Team Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā       League Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā  Position Ā  Ā Domestic Cup Ā  Ā  Ā  Continental Cup Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā  NotesĀ 

2017 Ā  Ā  Ā  Neimenggu Zhongyou Ā  Ā Chinese Jia League Ā  Ā  9th Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  - Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  - Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā took over 15 games to go, 16th place
2018 Ā  Ā  Ā  Yanbian Changbaishan Ā Chinese Jia League Ā  Ā  1st Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 3rd rnd Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā - Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  -
2019 Ā  Ā  Ā  Yanbian Changbaishan Ā Chinese Super League Ā  1st Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā WINNERS Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā - Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  -
2020       Yanbian Changbaishan  Chinese Super League   1st          3rd rnd            AFC CL WINNERS            -
2020/21    Orlando Pirates       ABSA Premiership       4th          WINNERS                -                  took over 2 games to go + cup final
2021/22    Orlando Pirates       ABSA Premiership       1st          winners                -                     -
2022/23    Orlando Pirates       ABSA Premiership       1st          winners         CAF Conf.Cup winners         -

International

Season     Nation            Competition                      

2020       Cameroon          qualified for African Cup of Nations
2021       Cameroon          African Cup of Nations WINNERS
2023       Japan             AFC Asian Cup WINNERS

Challenge Progress

Club

2/10 top domestic leagues (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P.)

2/10 domestic cups (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P.)

1/5 club continental championships (Asia-Yanbian C.)

0/1 club world championship

Ā 

International

2/5 continental tournaments (Africa-Cameroon, Asia Japan)

0/2 world tournaments ()

Edited by shirajzl

Sao Paulo
Campeonato Brasileiro SĆ©rie A

As always you should be careful of what you wish for as I wanted something a bit more competative than Chinese/Asian football and did I get that this season. Ā I joined Sao Paulo on the 28/06/2021 after 11 games of the Serie A and in the relegation position of 17th. Ā A steady run of form we climbed away from the danger zone and with 5 games to go we'd got ourselves into the title picture, we'd won all league games but for 3 draws and 1 defeat. Ā However our form likely due to injuries to our main strikers turned and we lost 4 of the last 5 games to finish in 3rd place. Ā I was so annoyed that we'd thrown away the chance of the title I had to go and do something else away from the game before I made any rash decisions. Ā Looking back it was a great turn around from where they were and we're in a good place to try and challenge the domination that Gremio seem to have over the league, they've won it 4 seasons in a row now.
The cups were a great disappointment, I was only involved in the quarter final round of the Brazil Cup which we lost 2-1 to rivals Corinthians. Ā In the Sudamerica cup we comfortably navigated Universidad San MartĆ­n (Peru) 7-0 on aggregate. Ā Then Club Nacional de Football (Uruguay) 6-3 on aggregate. Ā The disappointingly going out to Deportivo Independiente MedellĆ­n S.A. (Colombia) on penalties after a 1-1 aggregate draw. Ā It might not count for the challenge but it was one I wanted to tick of the bucket list so to speak.
The season with Serbia was even more disappointing and frustrating...They've got some very good players but for some reason just didn't perform for me. Ā Out of 8 World Cup qualifiers I won 2, drew 4 and lost once to Hungary thanks to my left winger giving away two penalities in the first 15mins...and I won 2 friendlies. Ā Surprisingly the Serbian FA have kept me on board as I thought they'd sack me. Ā I think I'll look to jump ship if another international role becomes available.

5a285a82d6341_EoSReview.thumb.PNG.5282ff127c4ecc8cbe60d2ac303e0d8b.PNG

My manager now has the Continental Pro coaching licence and my reputation is 70%.

5a285a87adb67_EoSManagerProfile.thumb.PNG.19a0accf41026a6e24157b74d0207f69.PNG

Ā 

Challenge Progress:

Club
1/10 top domestic leagues (CHI)
1/10 domestic cups (CHI)
1/5 club continental championships (ACL-Wuhan 2020)
0/1 club world championship ()

International
0/5 continental tournaments ()
0/2 world tournaments ()

Ā 

Seasons:

CLUB CAREER
							Leagues		Cups
Season	NAT	Club			Division	1st	2nd	1st	2nd		Cont.		CWC	Other & Notes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017	CHI	Wuhan			CNFD		5th								Joined in 9th place after 13 games and out of cups
2018	CHI	Whuan			CNFD		1st		Qtr						Promoted as champions
2019	CHI	Wuhan			CSL		1st		Win						League & Cup double.
2020	CHI	Wuhan			CSL		1st		Win			Win			Trebble Winners (+domestic super cup)
2021	BRA	Sao Paulo		Serie A		3rd		Qtr						Joined in 17th after 11 games.

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
			Rank		Cups
Year	Nation		FIFA	NL	World	Cont.	Conf.	Other & Notes
2020	Serbia		21st
2021	Serbia		33rd					Failed to Qualify for World Cup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ā 

Congrats @shirajzlĀ on the Asian Cup.Ā 

Welcome to the nut house @pug 407Ā good luck with the journey.Ā 

Edited by blackdevil

@blackdevil Congrats on your first season with Sao Paolo. One suspects next season may be easier. Have you played in Brazil before? You have a long season ahead.

@pug 407 Welcome back. If you beat your record you'll have just about done this challenge 3 times quicker than I managed to do it once. When it comes to the big tournaments, half of me will be cheering you on, and half of you will be wishing you to experience the pain of us mere mortals.

@shirajzl You'll be on the leader board in no time. Very impressive Asian Cup victory.

@bigjack.se18 If you haven't played in S Africa before, hold on to your players as much as you can, because the Champions League registration deadlines are brutal.

@Ronaldo Beckham I've travelled a few times on the long-distance coaches. Not sure it ever occurred to me that the club was named after the buses. I've never even heard ofĀ Ā GarupĆ”. It must be tiny. I expect I travelled through it at some point and didn't even notice. It drives me kind of nuts that a place that small can have a top division Argentine side, and my city of 6 million not even one semi-professional team.

Ā 

@vikeologistĀ I have previously managed Sao Paulo's arch rivals Corinthians in my first attempt at this challenge on FM15 and I have done a save with Gremio in the past too.Ā  So I'm aware it'll go from Jan - Dec...although the Chinese season did that too but with lots of free time instead of a game every week.

As a minor update - I've jumped ship from the Serbia post after failing to qualify for the World Cup and taken over the post of Morocco manager who did manage to qualify for the World Cup.Ā  And they've got an ACN coming up too.

6683__1925__logo-125-splash-new-padded.p

Ā 

ALMOST!!!

Oh well, my team was rock solid in defence but it wasn't enough as we couldn't win the league title this year. Luckily we played well in other competitions and next year the aim is to win the Premier League! I had some bad luck with injuries as my captain missed 6 months and my #1 gk missed the end of the season.

q3jY5xa.png

Ā 

HJuGrzx.png

61mdzr9.png

Ā 

Ā 

Season       Team             Position         Champs League       Notes and Achievements     
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16/17	Carlisle              7th Sky Bet League 2	           Lost in playoffs rnd 1
17/18   Carlisle              1st Sky Bet League 2                 Promotion 
18/19   Middlesbrough         2nd Championship                     Promotion
19/20   Middlesbrough         5th Premier League                   EC slot
21/22   New England Revolution MLS                                 resigned
22/23   Orlando Pirates       1st ABSA Premiership                 runner-up in CAF Confederations Cup
23/24   Orlando Pirates       1st ASBA Premiership Won CAF CL      Won MTN8Cup
24/25   Orlando Pirates       resigned in January                  Won Telkom Knockout
25/26   Real Betis            1st Liga Adelante                    Won promotion
26/27   Real Betis            13th Liga BBVA
27/28   Liverpool             6th Premier League                   EC slot
28/29   Liverpool             2nd Premier League                   Won FA CUP & EUROPA LEAGUE

International:
Season      Team             Notes and Achievements:
---------------------------------------------------------
2020        Croatia          Won European Championship
2022        Spain            Won World Cup
2024        Spain            Top4 in European Championship, got sacked
2026        Ivory Coast      Group stage 3rd in World Cup
2027        Ivory Coast      Won Africa Cup of Nations
Challenge Progress 7/33

Club
 1/10 top domestic leagues (ABSA Premiership 22/23/Orlando Pirates)
 2/10 domestic cups (Telkom Knockout 24/25/Orlando Pirates, FA CUP 28/29/Liverpool)
 1/5 club continental championships (CAF CL 23/24/Orlando Pirates)

International
 2/5 continental tournaments (European Championship 2020/Croatia, Africa Cup of Nations 2027/Ivory Coast)
 1/2 world tournaments (World Cup 2022/Spain)

10 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@blackdevil Congrats on your first season with Sao Paolo. One suspects next season may be easier. Have you played in Brazil before? You have a long season ahead.

@pug 407 Welcome back. If you beat your record you'll have just about done this challenge 3 times quicker than I managed to do it once. When it comes to the big tournaments, half of me will be cheering you on, and half of you will be wishing you to experience the pain of us mere mortals.

@shirajzl You'll be on the leader board in no time. Very impressive Asian Cup victory.

@bigjack.se18 If you haven't played in S Africa before, hold on to your players as much as you can, because the Champions League registration deadlines are brutal.

@Ronaldo Beckham I've travelled a few times on the long-distance coaches. Not sure it ever occurred to me that the club was named after the buses. I've never even heard ofĀ Ā GarupĆ”. It must be tiny. I expect I travelled through it at some point and didn't even notice. It drives me kind of nuts that a place that small can have a top division Argentine side, and my city of 6 million not even one semi-professional team.

Ā 

Cheers @vikeologist Don't Think It Will Happen This Year. Taken A Bit Of Time To Get Use To The Game, Still Don't Know If I Like The Game

This Year Yet.

@pug 407I'd say that I've come down relatively heavily on the side of not liking FM18.Ā 

Ā 

@yugular Tough losing the league by a point, hopefully you can clean up next season.

@blackdevil Good luck in the ACON

@Cheekybananafm I was surprised by how many titles Union have won, having lived in Chile, but I guess maybe I lived there when they were in a slump. Got to say i found it really tough winning (or rather never winning) the Lib with a Chilean club, even though I was enormously dominant domestically, but hopefully you can do it.

@burtur How's it going in Spain.Ā  With so many divisions, i was offered a few jobs, but they all really sucked. (You see Olot mired at the bottom of your league when you took over. That was one of the offered jobs.) That's where I've done my 1 season of FM18 Ultimate Manager, so maybe I'll go back there at some point. (Probably take me about 2 months to complete dafuge, and that's roughly how long it will probably take me to forget how much i hate FM18 or give it another try). I'm just hoping that once my promise to the board not to leave expires, i can find a job at a better club in Spain, because the end of the season was going to see the exodus of practically the entire Vikophobic squad).

How annoying, it's not the African Cup of Nations but theĀ African Nations Championship which doesn't allow foreign based players to play.Ā  Ah well, still off to the World Cup....hopefully.

There's also some tempting teams without a manager.Ā  Penarol from Uruguay, Partizan from Serbia and Newell's from Argentina.Ā  So many choices to make so many possibilities.

Edited by blackdevil

CRUCERO DEL NORTE UPDATE

So after being first when I posted earlier today I ended up sliding down to 4th but considering they were a team debuting in the league I done very well, I managed to beat teams that rejected me for their managers positions, it was very satisfying beating Boca, River and Velez,Ā 

My on loan striker banged in 29 goals in 33 games, David Castaneda the striker I signed from my former club Pereira banged in 9 goals in 25 appearances before a damaged Achilles tendon ruled him out for 4 months.

I managed to qualify for Copa Libertarodes so got another chance of trying to win that and also try win the Argentinian league with Del Norte unless one of the big boys come for me.

Del Norte League Position.png

8 minutes ago, yugular said:

@bigjack.se18Ā wow nice job u got, should be easy to get the next trophy :)

Or get sacked. My experience with Jeonbuk suggests that it's all or nothing. I've only managed them once though, mind you. i once decided not to take a job with them because they sacked their manager for finishing 2nd (to me I think). I should have taken the job because the next year I finished 3rd (behind winners Jeonbuk, and if memory serves me correctly by the narrowest of margins), and I was sacked, without having won the Asian Champions League which severely elongated my challenge. It's all or nothing in S Korea, though of course FM18 may be different.

Edited by vikeologist

1 hour ago, vikeologist said:

Or get sacked. My experience with Jeonbuk suggests that it's all or nothing. I've only managed them once though, mind you. i once decided not to take a job with them because they sacked their manager for finishing 2nd (to me I think). I should have taken the job because the next year I finished 3rd (behind winners Jeonbuk, and if memory serves me correctly by the narrowest of margins), and I was sacked, without having won the Asian Champions League which severely elongated my challenge. It's all or nothing in S Korea, though of course FM18 may be different.

That was my experience with Korea as well on previous FMs. You get so happy for pulling the Seol job and then get sacked after a few bad results.

6000319.pngĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā tigres_2012-.png?itok=7Did4Qh_

Ā 

The Champions League is won! That's all that matters. Kaiser Chiefs in the semis were a tough nut to crack, even though we've smashed them in the league so many times. We won 3-2 away and then lost 1-2 at home. 4 goals we conceded were 2 penalties and 3 corners. Classic AI bol*ocks.

20171130221131_1.thumb.jpg.acbb66d494a9651b1347ba91038bdce1.jpg

I immediately resigned and set my eyes on the next destination. I'm showered with offers from Europe on a regular basis, but I refuse to move there until I'm attractive enough for the top clubs. So it was going to be Americas, namely Mexico.

Tigres is one of the top Mexican clubs, although there are half a dozen of them which are very similar in reputation and finances. After a disappointing Opening Stage, they demanded at least semifinals of the Closing Stage. I managed to rebuild the team in the transfer window, although the job is not done there because there are still some overpaid veterans I couldn't get rid of.
"11 players in, 4 players out" later we finished 2nd and entered the playoffs fully confident we had a chance.

20171201230720_1.thumb.jpg.a602a8c449bece8ee1e8082666971969.jpg

We also won the Mexican Cup, where, admittedly, we had luck by drawing mostly second division teams, but who cares. Next year the CONCACAF CL is on the menu. Mexican clubs are the strongest there and I showed I can deal with them so confidence is here in abundance.

20171201220923_1.thumb.jpg.97c630712fda8286a1ade6c824ae160a.jpg

Aside from that, I'm still not managing a nation after resigning from Japan. I don't want mid tier European teams, I'd rather manage Mexico, USA or a decent South American country.

Ā 

Ā 

Season Ā  Ā  Team Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā       League Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā  Position Ā  Ā Domestic Cup Ā  Ā  Ā  Continental Cup Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā  NotesĀ 

2017 Ā  Ā  Ā  Neimenggu Zhongyou Ā  Ā Chinese Jia League Ā  Ā  9th Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  - Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  - Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā took over 15 games to go, 16th place
2018 Ā  Ā  Ā  Yanbian Changbaishan Ā Chinese Jia League Ā  Ā  1st Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 3rd rnd Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā - Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  -
2019 Ā  Ā  Ā  Yanbian Changbaishan Ā Chinese Super League Ā  1st Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā WINNERS Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā - Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  -
2020       Yanbian Changbaishan  Chinese Super League   1st          3rd rnd            AFC CL WINNERS            -
2020/21    Orlando Pirates       ABSA Premiership       4th          WINNERS                -                  took over 2 games to go + cup final
2021/22    Orlando Pirates       ABSA Premiership       1st          winners                -                     -
2022/23    Orlando Pirates       ABSA Premiership       1st          winners         CAF Conf.Cup winners         -
2023/24    Orlando Pirates       ABSA Premiership        -             -                CAF CL WINNERS          resigned mid season after winning the CL
2023/24    Tigres UANL           Mexican First Div     WINNERS       WINNERS                -                 joined before Closing Stage, won it

International

Challenge Progress

Club

3/10 top domestic leagues (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P., Mexico-Tigres U.)

3/10 domestic cups (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P., Mexico-Tigres U.)

2/5 club continental championships (Asia-Yanbian C., Africa-Orlando P.)

Ā 

International

0/2 world tournaments ()

Edited by shirajzl

@shirajzl Congrats on being the first FM18er to make it to the leader board. In fact, since it looks like the FM17 saves that were there are dormant, you have the board all to yourself. I guess that makes the challenge look a bit pathetic. (But there's no way I'm going to spend my entire life updating everybody's landmarks from the start). I hope @numero uno gunner is ok. It's always a little worrying when challenge stalwarts completely disappear.Ā 

@Ronaldo Beckham Strange as it may sound, congrats on avoiding relegation. If your team was newly promoted, they'd have been rock bottom of the relegation table (average points from recent seasons). I wonder how close you came to relegation. I guess with nearly 2 points per match, not that close, but because teams may do badly the season after a successful campaign (and thus still have a decent average point ratio), being anywhere near the bottom would have been very dangerous. Anyway, you clearly rock, so no problem.

You're all sickeningly good at FM. Don't get we wrong. #metoo, (at least FM17) but I do hope that any new people aren't put off by everybody's success. In fact we should celebrate sucking at the game, because it means that you stick around longer. I miss the early days when @NormandyWept and I battled away to see who could get sacked the most while doing the challenge. We were both well into double figures for the sacking challenge, and not far off triple figures for age by the time we finished.Ā 

@crapplayers Don't be discouraged. your pain is our gain.

Thank you for the complement @vikeologist, I just try find a tactic that works and try make it work for the team I am managing, I promise I aint cheating and trust me my win/loss record aint that good, I really struggled for 3 seasons with Universito Popayan, just happy to find some sort of form with Del Norte, if you need any screenshots then I am happy to do that.

Afternoon everyone, well after starting (and failing)Ā to get intoĀ the Dafuge Challenge I've decided to give this a go. I won't post mega long updates, just season by season or as and when I win something. Hope this is ok!

I have loaded China, South Korea, South Africa and Mexico

s1OVsHW.png

xlCWNJm.png

5 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@shirajzl Congrats on being the first FM18er to make it to the leader board. In fact, since it looks like the FM17 saves that were there are dormant, you have the board all to yourself. I guess that makes the challenge look a bit pathetic. (But there's no way I'm going to spend my entire life updating everybody's landmarks from the start). I hope @numero uno gunner is ok. It's always a little worrying when challenge stalwarts completely disappear.Ā 

Ā 

You're all sickeningly good at FM. Don't get we wrong. #metoo, (at least FM17) but I do hope that any new people aren't put off by everybody's success. In fact we should celebrate sucking at the game, because it means that you stick around longer. I miss the early days when @NormandyWept and I battled away to see who could get sacked the most while doing the challenge. We were both well into double figures for the sacking challenge, and not far off triple figures for age by the time we finished.Ā 

@crapplayers Don't be discouraged. your pain is our gain.

First of all, thank you.

Second of all, I'd also like to urge any (potential) newcomers not to be discouraged. The very early stages of this challenge are very hard, and then it gets easier and easier because you get to cherry pick the top clubs in their respective leagues (continents, even). On top of that, and I can't stress that enough, you need luck.Ā 

It seems so easy when you look at someone getting trophies, but beneath all that there are scrappy away goals and lucky knockout draws buried and forced to keep quiet.

7 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@shirajzl Congrats on being the first FM18er to make it to the leader board. In fact, since it looks like the FM17 saves that were there are dormant, you have the board all to yourself.

@vikeologistĀ Im on my way there! It's just that all the other folks are better than me and play a lot more than me, so it takes some time! BUT I already have 8/33 :DD

2017/18 Season KnattspyrnufĆ©lagiĆ° FramĀ 

Ā 

fknzaq.png

Ā 

My first season in Iceland was a up and down one. I walked into the club with a squad to work with and it was looking promising. After the clubs poor 9th position finish the previous season I was determined to improve on it but the players had other ideas 4 days into my reign my star AMC/ST wanted to leave the club..great I triedĀ  to appease him but ended up annoying the whole squad two team meetings later I had to give in and agree to sell him.

Ā Formation

Ā Being in Iceland I went with the KISS idea and set up a 4-4-2 but quickly realised maybe it was not the formation to settle on. I ended up playing a 4-5-1 wide formation which at first the team struggled with but by the end of the season were unstoppable

Ā 

Ā 20ucumt.jpg

Ā 

Transfers

Ā nbay5t.jpg

After the whole preseason debacle I knew there were bigger clubs that wanted some of my star players but it was not the clubs that caused the problems it was the players themselves even before the season started I had 4 players come to me wanting moves. I had to bow to their wishes I tried to keep them but at risk of upsetting the squad and everybody hating me they went. Not before I was put in front of the board (more on them later) to explain my actions regarding harmony in the squad(by this time I was regretting coming to Iceland).

Ā I decided replacements would be experienced players who knew the league

Ā Ā 

League

Ā Overall it was imperative that we improved on 9th, To my horror we were faves to go down (I was really starting to regret coming to Iceland) To their credit the squad played really well topping the table in the first few weeks of the season getting some good wins and playing really well, I knew it would not last forever. But it didĀ  unbeaten run bluip unbeaten run big blip grinding it out till the end of the season. It came down to the last game top 2 go up and the club lying in 3rd a draw would do but other results have to go our way

Ā 2nve4ig.jpg

They Did.. Somehow we got promotion Ā 

Ā 

Cup

Ā 

The target was the fourth round and we hit our target, maybe we could have gone one stage further but in the end I was happy to be on target

Ā 2871177.jpg

Ā 

Ā League Cup

Ā 

Ā The objective for the League cup was not to be outclassed, That was worrying I felt we put up a good fight getting a few wins but going out in the group stage

Ā 2pslk5i.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Overall Manager Season Summary

Ā 

A troubled start to the season with a player revolt, I have extended my contract for 1 year(just to stay in a job) but Iā€™m looking for other options, The board who sold two players under my nose and refused twice a coaching badge have now turned round and said the stadium move is now cancelled however our current stadium which holds 500 can hold 5,000 so donā€™t quite know whatā€™s going on. Anyway the club got promoted (even if they hated me for the first two months of the season) Bigger clubs will inevitably start circling for my players and start whining. My overall feeling is yes the clubs promoted but I did not enjoy Iceland like I thought I would.. Future uncertain

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā tigres_2012-.png?itok=7Did4Qh_

Ā 

The participant of the CL does not take part in the Mexican Cup, so that was one less competition to slog through. Speaking of a slog, we won both Opening and Closing stage of the league, but the main meat of the season was CONCACAF CL.

Ā 

20171205105401_1.thumb.jpg.8d1b189a30ce78d3623b4349ef9346b3.jpg

It was MLS Champions League for us, since we played MLS clubs every step of the way, including a Canadian club in the first round, which were by far the most difficult opponent then, given how seedings work.
Either way, the job is done in North America. The club part, that is.

In other news, the USA job as been "very insecure" for months, but nothing's happening. I got offers from Denmark and Ukraine, but not interested.

Ā 

2023/24    Orlando Pirates       ABSA Premiership        -             -                CAF CL WINNERS         resigned mid season after winning the CL
2023/24    Tigres UANL           Mexican First Div     WINNERS       WINNERS                -                  joined before Closing Stage, won it
2024/25    Tigres UANL           Mexican First Div     winners         -             CONCACAF CL WINNERS       won both Opening and Closing Stage

International

Challenge Progress

Club

3/10 top domestic leagues (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P., Mexico-Tigres U.)

3/10 domestic cups (China-Yanbian C., South Africa-Orlando P., Mexico-Tigres U.)

3/5 club continental championships (Asia-Yanbian C., Africa-Orlando P., North America-Tigres U.)

Ā 

International

0/2 world tournaments ()

DEL NORTE UPDATE

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days, I have been busy with work etc, so I just finished my season with Del Norte, I ended up 10th in the league, I had a decent start to the season then a a terrible middle of the season and I ended the season strong, I won 15, drawn 7 and lost 16.

I have managed to qualify for the next stage of the Copa Libertarades, I topped my group and qualified with 2 group games to go, I have got Athletico Minero in the next round, I am also through to the 7th round of the domestic cup, I will update you lot on how I do later on tonight.

I accepted a job offer from Chile toĀ  manage them so I am now in the Copa America group games with them, I lost the first game to Columbia 2-0, I got Peru next then Argentina, I need to win both games realistically to have a chance of qualifying out of the groups.

I will do another update in a bit.

Cowdenbeath_crest.png.9e714c98519733540cbdd54d5cd7fe89.png

2018/2019 Season

So following on from promotion to Ladbrokes League 1, and a few little summer additions, we entered into the new season.Ā 

I'll start with the cup competitions which didn't go as well as last time round. IRN BRU Cup I was knocked out by Aberdeen U20's in the quarter final. The BETFRED Cup I was knocked out by Partick Thistle in the Quarter Final, and Scottish Cup was very disappointing, we were knocked out by Raith Rovers in the 3rd round.Ā 

Onto the league which was a huge success, we finished top of the pile and finished 31 points clear!! Losing only 2 league games all season. A massive success and to be honest with a similar squad to the previous seasons. Kieran Sommerville and Ryan Connelly scored 57 league goals between them. The young players I have there have actually been really good luck and as well as that produced some good players through the academy since I've been here.Ā 

Despite gaining promotion to Ladbrokes Championship, I pursued the Hibernian job in the SPL, which I successfully got. So hopefully I can get a cup there and get off the mark. Fingers crossed!Ā 

Will keep you all posted.Ā 

Season | Team             |Position | Notes and Acheivements
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18| Cowdenbeath      |1st      | Champions!
2018/19| Cowdenbeath      |1st      | Champions

BIG UPDATE

I finally got the success I wanted and finally won the Copa Libertardoes, the trophy I wanted to get from the start and has took me 10 seasons to achieve, I also won the Argentinian Cup and also was successful with Chile and won the Copa America.

I have resigned from both Del Norte and Chile, ready for a new challenge in China or Australia.

Here are some screenshots if it interests anyone.

CLUB

1/10 Top Domestic Leagues
    2/10 Domestic Cups
    1/5 Club Continental Championships
    0/1 Club World Cups

International

2/5 Continental Tournaments
    0/2 World Tournaments

Total titles and cups 6/33

Ā 

Copa America.png

Copa Libertarodes.png

Cup Victory.png

My Achievements.png

My Manager Profile.png

Nah it was 10 seasons in my save, I was with Del Norte for about 4 years in the game, but just happy to finally win the Copa Libertarodes and done it the hard way cos it has took me a long time to do it through South America.

UPDATE

I am now the manager of Shanghai Shandong who were champions of China as I took over so got a good chance of ticking off another title, domestic cup and maybe Asian Champions League.

Ā 

SHANDONG UPDATE

I managed to bring success to Shandong in my first season there, I won the Chinese league title on goal difference and also won the Asian Champions League.

I have resigned from Shandong and now aiming to do the same in Africa.

CLUB

2/10 Top Domestic Leagues
    2/10 Domestic Cups
    2/5 Club Continental Championships
    0/1 Club World Cups

International

2/5 Continental Tournaments
    0/2 World Tournaments

Total titles and cups 8/33

Shandong League Title.png

Asian Champions League.png

Ā