The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge - Silver Age Archive

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Season 2029/30 Review

Logo2.png.d960350a0b10956fd90f05b650d8f03a.png

At the end of last season I was getting restless as felt frustrated here, so over the summer I applied for a few jobs, was close to getting the Bayern job, I was already dreaming of success as Bayern and they turned me down. Fueled by this snub I reinvested in Leipzig. So with that in mind we hit the transfer market, man sale was of last seasons top scorer Huet to PSG for 55m. He wanted to leave plus I've reverted to their real life policy of bringing players 23 and under to develop and sell on so the sale matched that. An up and down start to the season wasn't helped by losing out keeper in pre season to a broken leg meant playing back ups and it cost us as we lost 4 of our 16 games before the xmas break conceding 21 goals in the process. At the winter break I changed our formation from the 4231 that had worked everywhere but was leaving me far too open to a 433 (what the game calls 41221) with out keeper back and the new formation we only lost 3 of 18 games conceding just 10 goals as we caught the top 3 up and secured our return to the Champions league with a 3rd place finish.

In Europa League I used fringe players to see us through the group stage and finished 2nd where we faced the team that knocked us out last season Villareal. Last season we won the home leg 3-1 (3 up at HT) before getting spanked 5-2 (from just 6 shots on target) in the 2nd leg. This year we won the home leg 3-1 (3 up by HT) before losing the away leg 2-0 (to their fist 2 shots on target). I hate Villareal.

In the domestic cup we beat Bayern (:cool:) on our way to the final where we overcame Schalke 1-0.

During the season I reached my 500th game in management (a 3-2 win)

Career Progress

Club

Year		Club			Country		League position		Achievements 
2016/17		Mthatha Bucks		South Africa	3rd 			Promotion
2017/18		Mthatha Bucks		South Africa	7th 
2018/19		Orlando Pirates		South Africa	2nd 			Took over in November. Telkon & Nedbank Cup wins		
2019/20		Orlando Pirates		South Afirca	1st			League, MTN8, Telkom winners	
2020		Orlando Pirates		South Africa	1st			MTN8 & Champs league win. Left in November
2020/21		Melbourne Victory	Australia	6th 			Tool over in March, A League Finals winner
2021/22		Melbourne Victory	Australia	9th			FFA Cup & Asian Champions League win. Left In December 2021
2022		New York City		USA		4th 
2023		New York City		USA		9th 	
2025		New York Red Bulls	USA		7th 			MLS Cup Winners
2026		New York Red Bulls	USA		2nd 			NACL winners, US Open Winners
2026/27		RB Leipzig 		Germany		14th 			Took over in April
2027/28		RB Leipzig		Germany		3rd 		
2028/29		RB Leipzig		Germany		4th 
2029/30		RB Leipzig		Germany		3rd 			Cup winners

International

Year		Country			Ranking		Achievements
2023		USA			37th 
2024		USA			22nd 
2025		USA			21st 		Gold Cup winners 	
Challenge Progress

Club

3/10 Top Domestic Leagues – South Africa 2020 (Orlando Pirates), Australia 2021 (Melbourne Victory), USA 2025 (New York Red Bulls)
4/10 Domestic Cups - South Africa 2019 (Orlando Pirates), Australia 2021 (Melbourne Victory), USA 2026 (New York Red Bulls), Germany 2030 (RB Leipzig)
3/5  Club continental Cups – Africa 2020 (Orlando Pirates) , Australia 2021 (Melbourne Victory), North America 2026 (New York Red Bulls)
0/1  Club World Championships 

International

1/5   Continental tournaments – Gold Cup 2025 (USA) 
0/2	  World Tournaments

So have fallen back in love with RB so will still be here next season (unless a real super job comes up) and with the world cup this summer there should be some good international jobs coming free as it's time I went back to that.

Pug's Update Season 2024-35

02ltHrT.png

So With Me Taken Over China Contract  For The Asian Cup. I Went Back To England With Newcastle, To Scout Every Player With The

Best Scout I Could Get. Now Onto The Tournament And A Group Of Uzbekistan, Bahrain And Palestine. With 3 Out Of 3 Wins And 

With 14-0 Goal Difference We Top The Group. Group Results . Next Up In The 2nd Round Was Oman, And A Easy 6-0 Win. In The 

Quarters Was Defending Champs Australia And Another Easy 6-0 Win. In The Semis We Came Up Against Japan And A Hard 2-0 Win.

So Onto The Finals We Were Up Against Iran And A 5-0 Win, To Become Asian Champions. Results . Champs . What A Result Going On To Win

A Trophy With A Record Off 33 Goal And 0 Against.

CLUB CAREER
                                                                -----------

Season    Club                Leagues        Cups                                     Others & Notes
                               1st  2nd       1st  2nd    Cont    CWC
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Took Over In 16th Finished 6th
2017/18    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Left After 20 Games
2017/18    Ulsan Hyundai       Won
2018/19    Ulsan Hyundai       Won            Won         Won     Won                  All 4 Trophys
2018/19    Gladbach
2019/20    Gladbach                           Won                                      Won DFB And Euro League
2020/21    Gladbach            Won            Won         Won
2020/21    Fluminense                                     Won                          Took Over In 14th Finished 8th
2021/22    Fluminense          Won            Won
2022/23    Tigres              Won                        Won
2023/24    Liverpool           Won            Won  Won
2024/25    PSG                                Won  Won
2025/26    PSG                 Won
2026/27    Fiorentina          Won            Won
2027/28    Kaizer Chiefs       Won            Won         Won     Won
2028/29    Go Ahead
2029/30    Valencia            Won            Won
2030/31    Rangers             Won            Won
2031/32    Hunan Xiangtao
2032/33    Sydney FC                          Won
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                                                           --------------------

Season Nation    Cups                                                                     Others & Notes
                  World Cup   Confed Cup   Euro's   AFC   ACON   Gold Cup   Copa America

2018/19 Nigeria                                           Won
2019/21 USA                                                      Won
2023/24 China
2023/24 S Korea
2023/24 Brazil                Won
2025/26 Brazil    Won
2026/27 Brazil                                                              Won
2028/29 Australia
2029/30 England   Won
2031/32 England                             Won
2033/34 China                                       Won

Job History 1  Job History 2  History Overview  My Profile

@pug 407 Congratulations on setting a record that won't be beaten for a while. 

I have some questions which really have nothing to do with your completion.

1. What is that Chinese archway on your sort of Newcastle background? Is that a real photo. I was in Newcastle recently and we passed the ground in a taxi, but I didn't see that. The Chinese text is a bit weird. Do you know what it says? I'm sort of presuming that someone has photoshopped the arch in. In fact it can't be real because the arch must be a mirror image. I've just wasted far too much time trying to make sense of it, and trying to figure out why the picture looked so wrong. The fact that there's a whopping big Chinese monument outside the ground didn't itself look strange. One day there'll be a Chinese arch outside every club owned by China; which will be all of them. they're probably not called arches, but I don't know the English word.

2. How did you get your attributes that high? I don't think my working with youngsters ever goes up, even if I'm doing a youth challenge. Attributes are a complete mystery to me. 

@Agent Welcome to the challenge. Good to see someone doing the challenge on Touch, or whatever it's called at the moment. If your 'Touch' experience means that anything has to be changed in the initial rules, please let me know as I haven't even got Touch installed, so know nothing about it.

@darren1983 Glad you seem to be enjoying your time at RBL more. Like I always say, football clubs are like girlfriends. Nobody good wants me so I might as well just implement an under 23 policy and make the most of it.

Edited by vikeologist

4 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@pug 407 Congratulations on setting a record that won't be beaten for a while. 

I have some questions which really have nothing to do with your completion.

1. What is that Chinese archway on your sort of Newcastle background? Is that a real photo. I was in Newcastle recently and we passed the ground in a taxi, but I didn't see that. The Chinese text is a bit weird. Do you know what it says? I'm sort of presuming that someone has photoshopped the arch in. In fact it can't be real because the arch must be a mirror image. I've just wasted far too much time trying to make sense of it, and trying to figure out why the picture looked so wrong. The fact that there's a whopping big Chinese monument outside the ground didn't itself look strange. One day there'll be a Chinese arch outside every club owned by China; which will be all of them. they're probably not called arches, but I don't know the English word.

2. How did you get your attributes that high? I don't think my working with youngsters ever goes up, even if I'm doing a youth challenge. Attributes are a complete mystery to me. 

Cheers

1. If Your Coming To The Ground From St Andrew's Street China Town. It's Just Outside A Pub Call The Tyneside Irish Center. Photo .

2. Didn't Realise I Done It So Fast In The Game. In Real Life It's Took Month's.

Edited by pug 407
Update

@darren1983 Been looking through an old dafuge thread, and it's funny to see so few familiar names, but you were there. Out of curiosity, did you ever complete the dafuge challenge? I realise that I may be putting my foot in it here. A bit depressing to see that I've basically been making the same supposedly funny posts for 7 years now. I think I'm just going to start recycling them. I know this is all off topic, but I quite like the idea of keeping the dafuge thread as the second most popular one because I'm discussing it in ours. I hope I come across the post by the bloke that claimed he'd completed a challenge shortly after posting on social media a quickly deleted post that he'd lost the champions league final.

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2010 at 02:49, darren1983 said:

This is so true. Been doing this challenge for the last 3 or 4 years now ( never completed it! Always win either the prem or the champ league, never both) and am finding it tought to even get into BSP this year

Edited by vikeologist

@vikeologist I did eventually do the Dafuge challenge in either 13 or 14 I think. Have done it a couple times now, it was the first challenge I did on here and one I do often attempt each year, but this one and the youth academy one (still not over my hard drive dying and losing my 30+ years Dulwich save this year :() are, I feel, the challenges to attempted after you "graduate" from Dafuge 

21 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

@vikeologist I did eventually do the Dafuge challenge in either 13 or 14 I think. Have done it a couple times now, it was the first challenge I did on here and one I do often attempt each year, but this one and the youth academy one (still not over my hard drive dying and losing my 30+ years Dulwich save this year :() are, I feel, the challenges to attempted after you "graduate" from Dafuge 

I agree with you. I think they're the big 2. Obviously there are variations of the youth challenge, and the San Marino has that extra difficulty, and this challenge is itself just one version of the hexagon challenge or whatever it's called, with the giant challenge obviously being extra ultimaty, but each of the two (types of) challenge requires different skills. Unfortunately I just don't think I can complete the youth challenge.

I would guess at the moment that FM18 (with the dynamic side of things) is going to affect the youth challenges more than this one, but then again it could really make it more important to choose your jobs carefully in FM18.

It's horrible, but I think of the dafuge challenge as being easy, which is fine, except that I've associated easy with being able to do it quickly, which really isn't the same thing. 

It's a pity that you're still comparatively early on in this challenge, with the new game coming out, but of course once you start winning one of the big 5 leagues, things can progress very quickly. If you do continue, you will be assured of an audience here, whereas in 3 weeks time the people reading my dafuge 17 thread will just be me. I might claim on this thread that I've found important bugs and put in links to my dafuge progress. My voice will be heard.

Edited by vikeologist

@vikeologist am interested to see how the dynamic thing affects things like the youth challenge next year, think FM18 is going to be the first one I don't get for release for years as I want to try and see this one out first (we'll see how my resolve holds up when everyone is talking about the new game though) 

Thing I found with Dafuge challenge was it was a great introduction to the challenge forum, as someone that for years only ever really played the English leagues (mainly as my team Brentford) with the odd season here and there in Italy or Spain, Dafuge opened up the idea of real long term saves for me (used to feel anything over 7/8 seasons was long term) and once you get used to playing for 12/15+ seasons the idea of really investing time in 1 save sticks (or did for me) and makes me want to do them every year now, and this year I've done the 2 extremes in the youth only (not sure I'll ever complete it either but do want to try it again on 18) and now this one, which has opened the whole game world up for me this year. 

Season 2030/31

After the cup win and our form last season I sensed this was the time to finally overthrow Bayern. To do so I hit the transfer market to strengthen the squad. Before the season started we had the Supercup against Bayern where they outplayed us. Not a good sign. As for the league our challenge never really got going, too many dropped points as we struggled to deal with Champions League football as pushing for the title. In the 2nd half of the season we were more consistent and hitting the final stretch we had a chance of 2nd (Bayern proving to be far too strong as usual) but a return of 3 draws and a defeat (away to 17th placed side) meant we actually finished 5th. A very frustrating season in the end.

Our defence of the cup lasted 2 rounds as we drew Bayern. In the Champions League though we did very well. Got past Monaco in the playoff round and having a group of Man Utd, Ajax and Celtic gave us a chance. We actually won the group, doing the double over Utd and Ajax with our only loss coming away to Celtic. In the knockout stages we got past Sporting but in the Quarter final Arsenal were far too good for us, we may have won the 2nd leg 3-2 but before our first goal in that game we were 6-1 down on agg.

My contract only has a few weeks to run and I've been delaying signing a new one while I see if any interesting jobs come up as not sure I'll ever get ahead of Bayern. Tempted to sign a 1 year deal and have one final crack though.

Career Progress

Club

2018/19		Orlando Pirates		South Africa	2nd 			Took over in November. Telkon & Nedbank Cup wins		
2020		Orlando Pirates		South Africa	1st			MTN8 & Champs league win. Left in November
2020/21		Melbourne Victory	Australia	6th 			Tool over in March, A League Finals winner
2021/22		Melbourne Victory	Australia	9th			FFA Cup & Asian Champions League win. Left In December 2021
2030/31		RB Leipzig		Germany		5th 	

International

2023		USA			37th 
2024		USA			22nd 
Challenge Progress

Club

3/10 Top Domestic Leagues – South Africa 2020 (Orlando Pirates), Australia 2021 (Melbourne Victory), USA 2025 (New York Red Bulls)
4/10 Domestic Cups - South Africa 2019 (Orlando Pirates), Australia 2021 (Melbourne Victory), USA 2026 (New York Red Bulls), Germany 2030 (RB Leipzig)
3/5  Club continental Cups – Africa 2020 (Orlando Pirates) , Australia 2021 (Melbourne Victory), North America 2026 (New York Red Bulls)

International

0/2	  World Tournaments

Season 2031/32 Review

At the end of last season I was unsure what I was going to do next, in the end I signed a new deal to have another shot at Bayern. Pre season was a merry go round, Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti retired creating a opening, they appointed PSG manager Vincenzo Montella who in turn took Diego Simeone from Barcelona, this meant they poached Slaven Billic from Man City (:eek:) who took Unai Emery from Bayern who appointed me!

Bayern.png.66d3b0b6b7522b5a165f442208442517.png

So after all that I took over with just 5 days before the season started, so I'll do a quick run down of the season.

League - after a slow start as the team and I tried to find our feet we hit form after the break winning 16 and losing 1 of the 17 games to win the title by 5 points

Cup - an easy run to the final where we smashed my old team

Champions League - Tough run to the final beating both Real and Barcelona as well as defending champions PSG. At Wembley we were too good for Man City

Transfers - top 2 were before I took over.

Key Players

Christian Früchtl - keeper still going strong

Milos Ivkovic - German left back that added goals this year

Sebastian Keller - winger with a breakthrough season. Goals and assists.

Bastian Allerheiligen - brought from my old club, best number 10 in Germany

Philipp Dolling - best striker I've managed in this save. 40 goals and 14 assists in 41 games.

Career Progress

Club

2031/32		Bayern Munich		Germany		1st 			League, cup & champions league winners

Inernational

2023		USA			37th 
2024		USA			22nd 
Challenge Progress

Club

4/10 Top Domestic Leagues – South Africa 2020 (Orlando Pirates), Australia 2021 (Melbourne Victory), USA 2025 (New York Red Bulls), Germany 2032 (Bayern Munich)
4/5  Club continental Cups – Africa 2020 (Orlando Pirates) , Australia 2021 (Melbourne Victory), North America 2026 (New York Red Bulls), Europe 2032 (Bayern Munich)

International

0/2	  World Tournaments

Afternoon all, I see this thread has got very quiet lately. Are we all (like me) waiting for the impending FM18 beta release?

I was just wondering if a new thread will be created for everyone's FM18 attempt at this? I 100% plan to do this challenge, maybe with my own thread in the stories section and a season by season update on here

12 minutes ago, Cheekybananafm said:

Afternoon all, I see this thread has got very quiet lately. Are we all (like me) waiting for the impending FM18 beta release?

I was just wondering if a new thread will be created for everyone's FM18 attempt at this? I 100% plan to do this challenge, maybe with my own thread in the stories section and a season by season update on here

Unless something big changes in the game, (namely competitions), we'll just continue this thread. I'm not sure there's any reason to start a new one. None of the new features so far change the challenge rules at all. It's not like the Dafuge thread where the eligible teams are different each year. 

We did two years ago, because the first year of the challenge we were establishing the rules, and the original thread was started by somebody who then basically disappeared, so a new thread allowed us to tidy things up.

I'm not sure whether I'll be starting a new attempt on the beta. I was stung fairly badly this year doing that with all the bugs. Anyway I'm in the middle of another challenge which I may continue.

@darren1983 Congrats on your success with Bayern. All that time with the red bull teams may have given you wings, but we don't count wings, just the naked torso of success.

Season 2032/33 Update

Bayern.png.66d3b0b6b7522b5a165f442208442517.png

The eagle eyed amongst you will see that it says update not review that's because I have some news. After winning everything last season we continued that this season, winning the Supercup again, European Supercup and the Cub World Cup. After that I started to look for a way out as nothing left to win here, some jobs were insecure or very insecure at Real Madrid, Man Utd, Inter, Boca and River Plate. The 2 Argentine clubs fired their managers so I applied, River came back saying they couldn't agree a compensation fee with my board so I asked my board to consider a lower fee, they said no and wanted me to stay. Few days later the press asked me if I wanted the Boca job, I said yes, the board called me in for a meeting to explain myself. There was no option of "I've won everything here and am bored" so went with "felt it was an opportunity I couldn't miss" they disagreed and asked why they shouldn't sack me? 2 days ago they didn't want me to leave now they want to tell them why I shouldn't be sacked?!! Not my style so I told them if they sack me they'd miss out on compensation! They didn't care and sacked me!

So that's the end of Germany. 

Quick overview of how the season was going

League - a massive lead and would have been another title

Cup - fairly comfortable run to the semis

Champions League - group stage was easy and made easy work of Valencia, shame I never got to go against Liverpool

CWC - easy win. Final was a walk in the park.

I did also take over the France job, not much to report as finished bottom of our Nations League group but 2 wins from 2 in our world cup qualifying group so far. In terms of Bayern my record was P94 W76 D12 L6 a win % of 80% - and I was sacked because they didn't want me to leave :lol: 

Career Progress

Club

2032/33		Bayern Munich		Germany		1st 			Supercup, Euro Supercup & CWC winners when fired

International

2023		USA			37th 
2024		USA			22nd 
2032/33		France			10th  		
Challenge Progress

Club

4/10 Top Domestic Leagues – South Africa 2020 (Orlando Pirates), Australia 2021 (Melbourne Victory), USA 2025 (New York Red Bulls), Germany 2032 (Bayern Munich)
4/5  Club continental Cups – Africa 2020 (Orlando Pirates) , Australia 2021 (Melbourne Victory), North America 2026 (New York Red Bulls), Europe 2032 (Bayern Munich)
1/1  Club World Championships – 2032 (Bayern Munich)

International

0/2	  World Tournaments

Season 2033 Review

Santos_Futebol_Clube_(AP).png.bf2c015010c4392bbedeafba64964fec.png

LeagueI took over with the team in 7th place and 21 games played, to miss out on the title by a point is a little frustrating but good signs for a whole season

Copa do BrasilWe were out before I took over

Copa Libertadores - again we were out before I took over, losing here did place us in the the Copa Sudamericana

Copa SudamericanaTook over between the River and Barcelona games, a tricky run but the final was a walkover 1st leg and 2nd legthe trophy doesn't count for anything but always nice to win one early

France World Cup Qualifying 

France.jpg.fef0480cbec64e1df747a0aa4e7ef256.jpg

QualifyingWasn't as comfortable as liked thanks to a shock home loss to Denmark early on but a comfortable win away to them meant we won the group

In the World Cup our group will consist of Scotland, Mexico and Senegal

Career Progress

Club

2032/33		Bayern Munich		Germany		1st 			Supercup, Euro Supercup & CWC winners when fired
2033		Santos			Brazil		2nd 			Copa Sudamericana winners

International

2023		USA			37th 
2024		USA			22nd 
2032/33		France			10th  
2033		France			10th 
Challenge Progress

Club

International

0/2	  World Tournaments

France World Cup 2034 Review

France.jpg.fef0480cbec64e1df747a0aa4e7ef256.jpg

Group Stage

Spoiler

France 3-1 Scotland a good start to the group as we ran out comfortable winners.

France 0-1 Mexico A very even game against Mexico but a late goal left us in a must win game in our final one

France 1-1 Senegal A game we dominated but could only find the back of the net once. A late goal from Senegal meant we needed a result from Mexico to go through, annoyingly the eventual runners up would lose to Scotland meaning we fell at the first hurdle

Second Round (If applicable)

Spoiler

Quarter Final (If applicable)

Spoiler

Semi Final (If applicable)

Spoiler

Final (If applicable)

Spoiler

Aftermath

Spoiler

I quit right after we were out. Will look for another job soon. 

@darren1983 Tough luck on the WC. Hope you'll get the Cop[a L:ib with Santos soon. Always glad to see your updates. Be interesting to see how many people start this challenge straight away on FM18, and to what extent the new features change things. I mean, they won't change the challenge itself, but it's possible that they'll make it harder, and it will be interesting how much insight we'll be able to get into a team's cohesiveness and social relationships before deciding whether or not to take over.

@vikeologist I'm desperate to win the Copa Lib this year because brazil is a SLOG. I'm at the start of August with the season ending mid December and have already played 42 games this season with at least another 34 to go. So. Many. Games. 
Yeah will be interesting to see how the dynamics thing affects this challenge, wonder if swapping clubs/countries often will affect how players see or trust you. 

Season 2034 Review Santos

Santos_Futebol_Clube_(AP).png.bf2c015010c4392bbedeafba64964fec.png

Well this was a LONG season. Last season ended on the 13th of December with pre season starting on Jan 3rd. In the end we played 88 games this year! :eek: 

PaulistaoStarted season with the local league, finished 2nd overall but then in the final (all the local group winners play in it) we beat Palmeiras 

Copa do BrasilThe Brazilian cup was an easy run, biggest threat in it was fatigue as we tried to win it all

Recopa Sudamericanabeat last seasons copa lib winners over 2 legs

Copa Libertadoresstarted badly but found our feet, biggest threat was the semi final where we needed away goals to progress. Final was wrapped up after a good first leg and wrapped up at home in the 2nd leg

World Club Cupnot great, finished 3rd but should have made the final

BrasileiraoLead the league for most of the season, again it was fixture congestion that turned out to be our biggest threat but was comfortable in the end

Key Players

Victor Gualberto58 goals in 69 games. Says it all

Raulobviously not that one but his record would give him a run with 33 goals and 27 assists

Corando19 goals and 24 assists from the left wing

Ricardaoamazing in the AM role, missed final 3 months with injury otherwise would have been even better

Patricio Iglesiasplayed a vital role all over the midfield when we had to rotate

Career Progression

Club

2034		Santos			Brazil		1st 			League, cup, supercup & Copa Lib winners

International 

2023		USA			37th 
2024		USA			22nd 
2032/33		France			10th  
2033		France			10th 		

Challenge Progress

Club

5/10 Top Domestic Leagues – South Africa 2020 (Orlando Pirates), Australia 2021 (Melbourne Victory), USA 2025 (New York Red Bulls), Germany 2032 (Bayern Munich), Brazil 2034 (Santos)
5/10 Domestic Cups - South Africa 2019 (Orlando Pirates), Australia 2021 (Melbourne Victory), USA 2026 (New York Red Bulls), Germany 2030 (RB Leipzig), Brazil 2034 (Santos)
5/5  Club continental Cups – Africa 2020 (Orlando Pirates) , Australia 2021 (Melbourne Victory), North America 2026 (New York Red Bulls), Europe 2032 (Bayern Munich), South America 2034 (Santos)

International

0/2	  World Tournaments

What's Next?

Well now I'm the best English manager of all time it's probably time I headed back to Europe. It's December now so may have to wait till summer for a new job but I am going to resign from Santos with a year left on my deal as can't go through the motions for 6 months as it'll still be about 40 games! Also need some more success on the international stage. 

Quite off topic here, but anyone knows if playable leagues will be the same for FM18 as previous versions? If not what will be included or excluded?

Would have been nice with more leagues, although I doubt it, but could be very vital to more diversity in this great challenge...

Based

4 minutes ago, TheEarl said:

Quite off topic here, but anyone knows if playable leagues will be the same for FM18 as previous versions? If not what will be included or excluded?

Would have been nice with more leagues, although I doubt it, but could be very vital to more diversity in this great challenge...

Based on what SI have said in the past, I think they're unlikely to change the leagues, because people are able to add leagues themselves with the downloads like Claasens.

By the past I mean more than a year ago, so things could change, but I'm not sure what the rationale would be for them. Not much benefit, and potentially a lot more bugs.

That said, for the purposes of the challenge, just one more teeny, tiny African league would be nice. Don't send me back to South Africa, sir. I'm so sick of having to register my players for the latter stages of the African Champions League before they're even born.

Diversity is for your challenge. We are doomed to tread in the footsteps of those who came before us for all eternity, so erm, that said, I hope you're all going to start this challenge straight away.

I think diversity could be a lot more here also. Like you said more country(ies) in Africa, a possible third option in North America also would be nice. And of course I think the original author would have loved to see a playable league in Oceania....

2 minutes ago, TheEarl said:

I think diversity could be a lot more here also. Like you said more country(ies) in Africa, a possible third option in North America also would be nice. And of course I think the original author would have loved to see a playable league in Oceania....

I'd be delighted, but based on comments in the past, it's simply not going to happen. Won't I look stupid if I'm wrong in a couple fo days.

2 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

I'd be delighted, but based on comments in the past, it's simply not going to happen. Won't I look stupid if I'm wrong in a couple fo days.

Well lets say for once I hope you are wrong. But I think its unlikely also... (Just I didnt fancy reading all threads in this forum to check for any news...)

Season 2034/35 Season Review - AC Milan

1200px-AC_Milan_svg.thumb.png.169dbbe77c060badc90554163ff36589.png

After leaving Brazil it took just over a month to get a new job. Milan were 5th when I took over with the target a top 3 finish.

LeagueWent alright. in 17 league games we won 16 and drew 1. An insane run. Last game of the season Inter were at home to Juve while we went to Torino. Inter lost 3-0 while we battled to a 1-0 win to win the league on GD (both sides won their "home" derby 1-0) 

Cuptook over just after the first round, comfortable run to the final where we played Inter. An 85th minute penalty from Martin Odergaard in his last game before retiring was a fitting end.

Champions LeagueDidn't need to win this, looking at the results I'm not sure how the club got out of the group stage but we smashed PSG, the city games were tight but they just edged us

Career Overview

Club

2034		Santos			Brazil		1st 			League, cup, supercup & Copa Lib winners
2034/35		AC Milan		Italy		1st			Took over in Feb, league and couple double

International

2023		USA			37th 
2024		USA			22nd 
2032/33		France			10th  
2033		France			10th 	
Challenge Progress

Club

6/10 Top Domestic Leagues – South Africa 2020 (Orlando Pirates), Australia 2021 (Melbourne Victory), USA 2025 (New York Red Bulls), Germany 2032 (Bayern Munich), Brazil 2034 (Santos), Italy 2035 (AC Milan)
6/10 Domestic Cups - South Africa 2019 (Orlando Pirates), Australia 2021 (Melbourne Victory), USA 2026 (New York Red Bulls), Germany 2030 (RB Leipzig), Brazil 2034 (Santos), Italy 2035 (AC Milan)
5/5  Club continental Cups – Africa 2020 (Orlando Pirates) , Australia 2021 (Melbourne Victory), North America 2026 (New York Red Bulls), Europe 2032 (Bayern Munich), South America 2034 (Santos)

International

0/2	  World Tournaments

What's Next?

Well Italy was nice and quick, time to leave and find a new place to rest my head

I wasn't planning to purchase FM18 till the new year but I randomly won a free copy so will have it when the Beta is out, I still want to continue this save though so will do so while starting my new 18 save which is likely to be another attempt at the youth challenge (feel like I have unfinished business there) 

My laptop is fairly decent / mid-range so I assumed that it would run the new game fairly easily, but just out of boredom I checked the specs on https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri 

and my videocard isn't up to it. I'm shocked, and obviously gutted. 

Living in China this is going to be a real pain in the arse getting this upgraded.

I think there's going to be a few people (who like me hadn't even bothered checking) who are going to be in for a nasty surprise in a couple of days, although by the look of it my laptop can handle everything with ease, apart from my apparently crap videocard.

17 hours ago, vikeologist said:

We are doomed to tread in the footsteps of those who came before us for all eternity, so erm, that said, I hope you're all going to start this challenge straight away.

A part of the suffering this challenge provides is definitely playing in the same leagues over and over again, so it has its charms. :lol:

11 hours ago, vikeologist said:

I think there's going to be a few people (who like me hadn't even bothered checking) who are going to be in for a nasty surprise in a couple of days, although by the look of it my laptop can handle everything with ease, apart from my apparently crap videocard.

Mine is saying the same, everything but the video card. I watch on 2D though so not sure it'll have any real impact on me. I'll give it a try on the Beta and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

@yugular Good to see you back.

@darren1983 As I suspected, on another thread, the graphics card issue was a false alarm. However, I have gone back for the moment to my fm17 (dafuge) save.

I'm planning to give this challenge a go when the game proper comes out. I like the idea of the new features, and hopefully in a weeks time SI will have worked out more of the kinks. I holidayed for quite a few years, and the Copa Lib didn't crash, and I haven't seen any bugs that would affect the challenge, although the dynamics seem to be causing lots of problems for all these challenges where you start with quals and experience. I haven't actually won a single (competitive) game on FM18 yet, although I've only played about 10.

On 03/11/2017 at 07:40, vikeologist said:

@darren1983 As I suspected, on another thread, the graphics card issue was a false alarm. However, I have gone back for the moment to my fm17 (dafuge) save.

I'm planning to give this challenge a go when the game proper comes out. I like the idea of the new features, and hopefully in a weeks time SI will have worked out more of the kinks. I holidayed for quite a few years, and the Copa Lib didn't crash, and I haven't seen any bugs that would affect the challenge, although the dynamics seem to be causing lots of problems for all these challenges where you start with quals and experience. I haven't actually won a single (competitive) game on FM18 yet, although I've only played about 10.

Yeah my check before said the card wasn't good enough to run the game but I get 3 stars for my 3D stuff so who knows?

My issues so far has been finding time to play, had a few hours last Sunday and not been on since :( 

I've started (probably prematurely) a go at this challenge again for this years FM.  Having not played much (relatively speaking) FM since I last updated in this thread I'm hoping I'll get a decent career out of it as my last attempt was also the last decent career game I've had.  Both for FM15 & FM16.  Before that it was a Dafuge challenge career game for FM13.

I've started with the all the leagues loaded from North, Central & South America as well as South Africa and China.

As with my previous attempt I've taken the name of one of my favourite regens from a previous save, this time an Argentine defensive midfielder Joaquín Becerra from my Ashton United Dafuge career.

59ff736b77841_JoaqunBecerra.thumb.PNG.99bc96bec6d1ed9322032bccf115501d.PNG

Seems there's a bug with the managers profile screen not actually showing the name when unemployed.  But it should appear when (if) I get a job.

@blackdevil Glad to see someone starting this challenge on FM18. I always say this, but it will be interesting to see what job you get. Every iteration the level of first job we can get seems to get slightly harder. The first 2 times I did this challenge on FM15, I started off with a top division Chinese and then South African side, (though both of those teams were in deep doo-doo). Not possible now, I think. Good luck

I am planning to have a go at the challenge when the release version comes out on Friday, but I must confess that I can't be having with FM18 at the moment, so I'll have to see whether playing it is still awful.

@vikeologist I remember in FM15 starting with Seattle I think it was, but I can't see that happening this time around. 

There seems to be a lot more fluff involved with FM18 and I think I preferred 17.   But it may just be a case of getting used to it.

On the job hunt front I've been turned down without an interview for the MLS vacancies and all the other top division clubs so far.  My first interview has just been with Wuhan in China's "National First Division" so fingers crossed on that front.  I've never managed anywhere in Asia that I can recall so will be a new experience.

*edt*

A quick update :) I've been appointed manager of Wuhan...let the adventure begin.  I did notice that my attributes have increased from when I started to now.  No idea how that's happened.

59ff9a0e3f905_attributeincrease.thumb.PNG.59454bdc3ef774cd3d9cc1aa78221b2e.PNG

Edited by blackdevil

17 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@blackdevil Glad to see someone starting this challenge on FM18. I always say this, but it will be interesting to see what job you get. Every iteration the level of first job we can get seems to get slightly harder. The first 2 times I did this challenge on FM15, I started off with a top division Chinese and then South African side, (though both of those teams were in deep doo-doo). Not possible now, I think. Good luck

I am planning to have a go at the challenge when the release version comes out on Friday, but I must confess that I can't be having with FM18 at the moment, so I'll have to see whether playing it is still awful.

@vikeologist, will you be administrating this challenge for FM18? And if so, will the rules be the same? 

7 hours ago, thomas_e said:

@vikeologist, will you be administrating this challenge for FM18? And if so, will the rules be the same? 

Yes. I don't think anything at all has changed with regard to the challenge. The only reason this thread is a bit quiet, (I hope) is because most people who were doing the challenge finished it during the (northern hemisphere) summer. 

I'm definitely going to give it another go at some point, either on FM17 or 18, but starting on the beta (as I did last year) is always going to be a bit of a gamble. 

I will start the challenge on Friday though. Debating which country to start in.

To those who were following my career. In my last post i attached a screenshot of impending board takeover. Well it finally happened and I survived the takeover :) Nothing major happened to finances though, just a small increase in budgets.

FIF_NewCrest.png

The season in Spain with Real Betis is still going on, but my main goal for 2027 was the African Cup of Nations with Ivory Coast and I managed to get what I wanted!

nU1fir1.png

My squad was quite solid and especially strong in the CD/DMC positions which happen to be the key positions for my preferred possession based football. My team lacked in the "superstar" status players, but good team performances are usually enough and so it was this time too.  My average possession in the competition was 2nd best (54,83%) and Pass Completion Ratio was the best (84%). We completed 3686 passes in the competition whilst the second best team Guinea figure was only 2762 passes. In the end I had to beat South Africa in the Final in penalties because my forwards were unalbe to convert our total domination into goals. Nevertheless I am happy, all went according to plans!

ACON 2027 with Ivory Coast

Mozambique - Won 1-0

Cape Verde - Draw 1-1

Guinea - Won 4-1

Mali - Won e1-0

Nigeria - Won 3-2

FINAL vs South Africa - Won p0-0

NEXT UP! I don't know. I will play with Real Betis and see if interesting job opportunities arise. Betis is a team which will not win me any silverware so I am constantly looking for job opportunities. ACON win pumped my reputation up to 65% from 60% I don't know if it's enough to get a good job tho...

Season       Team             Position         Champs League       Notes and Achievements     
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16/17	Carlisle              7th Sky Bet League 2	           Lost in playoffs rnd 1
17/18   Carlisle              1st Sky Bet League 2                 Promotion 
18/19   Middlesbrough         2nd Championship                     Promotion
19/20   Middlesbrough         5th Premier League                   EC slot
21/22   New England Revolution MLS                                 resigned
22/23   Orlando Pirates       1st ABSA Premiership                 runner-up in CAF Confederations Cup
23/24   Orlando Pirates       1st ASBA Premiership Won CAF CL      Won MTN8Cup
24/25   Orlando Pirates       resigned in January                  Won Telkom Knockout
25/26   Real Betis            1st Liga Adelante                    Won promotion
26/27   Real Betis            season still going on

International:
Season      Team             Notes and Achievements:
---------------------------------------------------------
2020        Croatia          Won European Championship
2022        Spain            Won World Cup
2024        Spain            Top4 in European Championship, got sacked
2026        Ivory Coast      Group stage 3rd in World Cup
2027        Ivory Coast      Won Africa Cup of Nations
Challenge Progress 6/33

Club
 1/10 top domestic leagues (ABSA Premiership 22/23/Orlando Pirates)
 1/10 domestic cups (Telkom Knockout 24/25/Orlando Pirates)
 1/5 club continental championships (CAF CL 23/24/Orlando Pirates 
 0/1 club world championship 

International
 2/5 continental tournaments (European Championship 2020/Croatia, Africa Cup of Nations 2027/Ivory Coast)
 1/2 world tournaments (World Cup 2022/Spain)
Edited by yugular

@yugular Congrats on the ACON. Always good to get that one under your belt. I think I'm on something like 9 successive losses in the competition, maybe stretching over my last 3 attempts at the challenge.

Are you going to quit Ivory Coast now? Might help you get a better club job, although of course an entry ticket to the confederations cup is always good. We've never had someone who couldn't win the confederations cup, but I feel there's always that danger because of how rarely the opportunity even comes up.

@blackdevil Where were Wuhan in the table when you took over? Anyway, good luck in China. 

As for me, I'm mulling over where to start the challenge when the full game comes out on Friday. My attempts at the new game so far have been pretty disastrous, so might try to find a tactic that works before starting. Safe to say my failsafe tactic for FM17 has lost the safe component in the transition to FM18. Also, thus far (or maybe for that reason, thus far) I detest the new game. It's hard to go from all-conquering to awful. 

Anyway, I could be really boring and start in S Africa, or do something novel, like starting in a lower division of a big euro nation.