Real and Barca not sacking managers

This is the final la liga table in 2020. Barca and Real mangers keep their jobs?! This would simply never happen.

zn7w9w.png

Unbelievably after winning just the copa del rey and the Europa league in 6 seasons, Enrique is still at Barca. Real have made just one change, replacing Ancelotti with Conte 3 years previously.. Conte has won nothing in his 3 seasons at Real..

i4ml1z.png

Yeah but he won the CL..

OK, you tell me then when a Barca manager last spent 6 years there and didn't win the league? Or when a Madrid manager was there 3 years without a title? Mourinho was the last to do 3 years (rare in itself) but won the league and cup in that time.. In 20 odd years there's only been 2 mangers that have done 3 years..

What a silly reply.. I know it's not real. Aren't we striving for at least some realism though?

The whole footballing world knows how harsh Madrid are on managers. Real AREN'T patient.

Whats realism when it comes to boards though?

Have either had a takeover in your save?

Don't Spanish clubs hold annual elections meaning they could have a new chairman with new attributes every season?

At the end of the day if you think there is a problem report it in the bugs forum and upload the save for SI to investigate.

Or even when they do deliver, but the Chairman still fancies a change because he's obsessed with the next best thing.

Didn't they try to sack Vincente del Bosque all those years ago, despite him delivering multiple CL wins despite basically tolerating getting no say in transfers whatsoever? Real Madrid in a nutshell really.

I think someone mentioned it's because he's ugly, bit like the Di Maria situation.

So are they saying all the players at Real now are handsome lol?

So are they saying all the players at Real now are handsome lol?

Legend has it they were debating in the summer of 2003 whether to sign Ronaldinho or David Beckham, they eventually decided Ronaldinho was too ugly for them and signed Beckham instead. Now I'm not saying Beckham is a bad player, but one cannot help but love how that worked out in the end of Madrid as Ronaldinho tore the apart time and time again. :D

And rumours has it that Di Maria was dumped to Manchester United for being too ugly as well. Go figure.

My last save....Brendan Rodgers wins everything with liverpool, 2 CL, 2 PL, world club champ, FA cups, he became legend of the club.....but then he got an offer from newcastle, club that in previous seasons didn't win anything and they are usually around 10th place in league, and sign for MUCH lower wage...

Mourinho is now manager of PSV, didn't win anything in 3 seasons

Guardiola, manager of West Ham, 2 seasons so far, he didn't even improve their spot from previous seasons....

And i never heard of managers that are now in charge of big clubs, Liverpool, Man Utd, City, PSG etc.....their atributes are low even for english championship

Although to be fair, this thread has nothing to do with any of those clubs :lol:

I know, but i was just saying that it's not just real and barca, the whole game needs to improve in this part

My last save....Brendan Rodgers wins everything with liverpool, 2 CL, 2 PL, world club champ, FA cups, he became legend of the club.....but then he got an offer from newcastle, club that in previous seasons didn't win anything and they are usually around 10th place in league, and sign for MUCH lower wage...

Mourinho is now manager of PSV, didn't win anything in 3 seasons

Guardiola, manager of West Ham, 2 seasons so far, he didn't even improve their spot from previous seasons....

And i never heard of managers that are now in charge of big clubs, Liverpool, Man Utd, City, PSG etc.....their atributes are low even for english championship

Rodgers won league twice with Liverpool on my save and now left to real madrid :D

I had exactly the same on my save - Ancelotti managed 2 copa del reys in 5 years. Eventually resigned when he got the Holland job. Barca meanwhile sacked Luis Enrique after 1 season - though he did win the Europa League, not sure if that's a good thing though.

In general boards are a little too kind to underachieving managers in FM. This is seen most in leagues like Spain, Germany with only 2 or 3 real title challengers, I guess the confidence is forgiving enough to give managers another chance when they have a 'win league' expectation and finish second maybe with another trophy. This also annoys me in my current game, I've loaded a few leagues in C America (Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala) with the hope of taking on one of the big clubs there. But for similar reasons the clubs never sack their managers, even after finishing 2nd or 3rd, when in real life they go through about 3 a year.

It would be great to see in some clubs and leagues, a failure to win the title (without other achievements) an automatic sacking. But then we'd have the same threads but the other way round, "I can't believe it I finished just one point behind Madrid and got sacked, this game is stupid." Then we already have the example of Dortmund's patience with Klopp, the other extreme when in FM he'd probably already have been sacked. So yes, tough balance

It's an extremely unrealistic game as the images show :rolleyes: They both would never have allowed A Madrid to win the league so easily, so often. But you don't see any threads from the ''op'' on that issue. I wonder why??? And the ''OP'' would never have got a job with A Madrid IRL.

Or has Diego Simeone taken them to this point while turning them both down for the Manager's job each season ??

Or is this a way of the ''OP'' complaining that they are not approaching him for the job.:cool:

It's an extremely unrealistic game as the images show :rolleyes: They both would never have allowed A Madrid to win the league so easily, so often. But you don't see any threads from the ''op'' on that issue. I wonder why??? And the ''OP'' would never have got a job with A Madrid IRL.

Or has Diego Simeone taken them to this point while turning them both down for the Manager's job each season ??

Or is this a way of the ''OP'' complaining that they are not approaching him for the job.:cool:

That's sort of the point isn't it though Chinook? Look what happened the only season recently when Atletico broke the monopoly, Martino went after coming within a disallowed goal of the title and Ancelotti was only saved by the Champions League. In this scenario (obviously far-fetched, but once you press continue on the first day all RL ties are broken of course) both clubs would have had a different manager every year and be signing every star going to restore the natural balance.

It's not a massive flaw, but it does point to a slight issue for me in the game. A combination of presidents at the top, top clubs having too much patience for 2nd, 3rd place finishes, and perhaps the effect of large contracts and compensation payments discouraging the most trigger-happy boards. It's definitely an area that needs fine-tuning in certain leagues like Germany and Spain, where only 2 or 3 clubs are likely to win the league. Maybe an obligatory 1 patience rating for Madrid, Barcelona presidents, something like that?

That's sort of the point isn't it though Chinook? Look what happened the only season recently when Atletico broke the monopoly, Martino went after coming within a disallowed goal of the title and Ancelotti was only saved by the Champions League. In this scenario (obviously far-fetched, but once you press continue on the first day all RL ties are broken of course) both clubs would have had a different manager every year and be signing every star going to restore the natural balance.

It's not a massive flaw, but it does point to a slight issue for me in the game. A combination of presidents at the top, top clubs having too much patience for 2nd, 3rd place finishes, and perhaps the effect of large contracts and compensation payments discouraging the most trigger-happy boards. It's definitely an area that needs fine-tuning in certain leagues like Germany and Spain, where only 2 or 3 clubs are likely to win the league. Maybe an obligatory 1 patience rating for Madrid, Barcelona presidents, something like that?

Does this come under a more "special case" problem though? Is there a way to code chairman behaviour well enough so that the majority act normal, except clubs like this? Should we even be doing that? Rhetorical question of course. Barcelona and Real always strike me as a complete special case in this regard.

I don't know if it's a special case, the game has trouble processing manager changes across the board in leagues where 2 or 3 teams dominate. For example, I have Chile loaded and from 2013-15, Universidad Catolica have had 5 coaches IRL. In my FM14 game from 2013-17, they have changed coach just once and not sacked anyone. In Paraguay Olimpia have won only 1 title since the start of the game (out of possible 8), and only changed coach when the first guy retired. IRL the third manager in two years has just quit.

I'm not saying the same merry go round is necessary or even desired, but I think a fine-tuning to reflect the fact that in many leagues being at a top team means success required or the door would be a positive step.

I don't know if it's a special case, the game has trouble processing manager changes across the board in leagues where 2 or 3 teams dominate. For example, I have Chile loaded and from 2013-15, Universidad Catolica have had 5 coaches IRL. In my FM14 game from 2013-17, they have changed coach just once and not sacked anyone. In Paraguay Olimpia have won only 1 title since the start of the game (out of possible 8), and only changed coach when the first guy retired. IRL the third manager in two years has just quit.

I'm not saying the same merry go round is necessary or even desired, but I think a fine-tuning to reflect the fact that in many leagues being at a top team means success required or the door would be a positive step.

Yeah, I didn't mean to come across as disagreeing with you, just that Barcelona and Real are two examples where logic doesn't really come into it in real life! Some fine-tuning would definitely be a positive step, like you say.

Personally I love this idea very much but I can already imagine the complaints coming to SI like I just finished in 2nd place a point and got sacked The game is broken!!!

Yeah, I didn't mean to come across as disagreeing with you, just that Barcelona and Real are two examples where logic doesn't really come into it in real life! Some fine-tuning would definitely be a positive step, like you say.

No worries Forameuss, there is definitely a lack of logic in some of Barcelona and Madrid's decisions, as well as basically all of South America really! You're right in saying it would be hard for SI to model the whole manager experience on Barcelona and Madrid, a compromise has to be found somewhere otherwise nobody would ever last more than 2 seasons and that would be far worse than the current system.

One aspect of this part I've always thought could add another level is the fans. Right now they seem to have little say in your future, which is a shame as when a manager loses the stands, he does not have long left.Perhaps 'fan confidence/backing' could be added as another, important area for keeping your job, based on trophies, playing style and more importantly key results, derbies (lose a derby 6-0 and you are under pressure instantly). This could perhaps be hard-coded for the biggest clubs as minimum patience, giving the board option to sack me if the fans now hate me.

Just an idea, but perhaps a way to emulate life at the real high-pressure clubs, as well as in South America where 3 defeats in a row have you scanning the job ads.

Archived