FM15: Peterborough United - The Millionaire Makers

MaxeyN17

lroad_zps4e20b458.png

George Boyd, Craig Mackail-Smith, Aaron McLean, Ryan Bennett, Dwight Gayle, Lee Tomlin, Britt Assombalonga. These are just a few of the players to have used Peterborough United as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. And that is in no way disrespectful to The Posh: in fact, it’s something the club prides itself on. Under the guidance of chairman Darragh MacAnthony and two-time Darren Ferguson, Peterborough have transformed from a Third Division/League Two nowhere team, regularly languishing in lower mid-table – always safe from relegation but never challenging towards the top end of the table, into an exciting Championship/League One outfit, promising to play attacking, expansive football, even if it leads to one of the harshest relegations from the Championship seen in modern times.

Their return to League One in 2013/14 looked extremely promising. Indeed Posh won ten of their first twelve games and an instant restoration to Championship football was looking more and more likely. However, poor patches of form coupled with Ferguson’s refusal to depart from his favoured diamond formation meant Peterborough finished in the play-offs, exiting in the semi-finals to Russell Slade’s Leyton Orient. The highlight of the season though, was certainly the victory in the Johnstones Paint Trophy, a 2-0 win over eventual League Two champions Chesterfield at Wembley securing Posh’s first competition win since winning the old Third Division way back in 1974.

2013/14 top goalscorer Britt Assombalonga has departed after just one season at the club, joining Nottingham Forest in a deal believed to be worth in excess of 5.5M. Also departing London Road were full-backs Mark Little and Craig Alcock, club captain Tommy Rowe, attacking midfielder Danny Swanson and forward Nicky Ajose. To MacAnthony’s and Ferguson’s credit however, the club moved swiftly to replace these players with forward Luke James, wingers Marcus Maddison, Jon Taylor and Kenny McEvoy, midfielder Erhun Oztumer and defenders Christian Burgess, Gabriel Zakuani and Michael Smith all signing on at London Road – this is actually Zakuani’s second stint at Posh; he left the club in January 2014 on a free transfer to play for AEL Kalloni but his swift return has been welcomed by the Peterborough faithful. With these new arrivals came the promise of a return to the attacking 4-4-2 that had elevated Peterborough up the Football League in recent years and fans have certainly not been disappointed so far.

So, why manage Peterborough United in Football Manager 2015? Well, with a small squad that has an average age of 23, it’s a perfect opportunity to take over a club that has room for your own additions and also numerous young players to develop, nurture and, if you play true to the real Posh, sell on for profit to bigger clubs. The club has a very good financial footing, the only loan being a 5M gift from the chairman repayable on his departure which is very unlikely to happen anytime soon. Plus, with the club’s highest ever position being tenth in the old First Division, it really is your chance to make history at a club that has shown so much promise and potential in recent times.

posh-squad-2014-15.jpg

Assuming I’ve convinced you to take over the reins at London Road, let’s take a look at your starting squad.

Name – Position – Age – Career Apps (Posh Apps) – Career Goals (Posh Goals)

GOALKEEPERS

Ben Alwnick – GK – 27 y/o – 60 (0) – 0 (0)

Ben Alnwick made the move to London Road at the end of July 2014 after spells with Charlton Athletic and Leyton Orient. The shot-stopper, who began his career with Sunderland and worked with current Goalkeeping Coach Jimmy Walker at Tottenham Hotspur, penned a three-year deal to become the club’s number one.

Joe Day – GK – 23 – 59 (4) – 0 (0)

Joe started his career at Crystal Palace before moving onto Rushden in the 2006/07 season. After impressing in the Conference, he moved to London Road at the start of the 2011/12 season and has since played four senior games for Peterborough, whilst also spending time on loan at Eastbourne Boro and Alfreton.

DEFENDERS

Michael Smith – DR – 25 – 276 (0) – 16 (0)

Posh secured the services of the Northern Irish right-back after a long chase during the summer of 2014. Arriving from Bristol Rovers, where he won the club’s Player of the Year and was named in the PFA Team of the Year despite the Pirates suffering relegation out of the Football League, Smith was the club’s replacement for Mark Little who left for pastures new.

Kgosi Ntlhe – DR/DL – 20 – 46 (42) – 3 (3)

The South-African born defender, who joined Posh at the age of 16, has been a regular at left-back under the tutelage of boss Darren Ferguson. A strong, combative player, Ntlhe scored the club’s Goal of the Season during the 2013-2014 campaign with a stunning strike from distance against Bradford City at London Road.

Gabriel Zakuani – DC – 28 – 306 (175) – 9 (5)

Fans favourite Gabriel Zakuani rejoined the club in the summer of 2014 after a short spell playing in the Greek Super League. A no-nonsense centre back, Zakuani has played in the top three divisions in England and once moved for £1 million to Fulham from his boyhood club Leyton Orient. A DR Congo international, he has played in the African Cup of Nations for his country.

Shaun Brisley – DC – 24 – 185 (61) – 6 (0)

Former Macclesfield Town centre back, who, like Jack Baldwin, has excellent ability on the ball. He put in a Man of the Match display at Wembley Stadium as Posh lifted the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy in 2014, finding the back of the net too with a powerful header from a set-piece. Currently transfer listed.

Ricardo Santos – DC – 19 – 24 (1) – 1 (0)

A towering presence at the back, Ricardo Santos was signed from non-league side Thurrock. Has already demonstrated he has a good reading of the game and with a full pre-season under his belt, he will be looking to challenge the other centre backs at the club for a starting berth.

Christian Burgess – DC – 22 – 42 (0) – 0 (0)

Christian was signed from Sky Bet Championship side Middlesbrough on a four year deal for an undisclosed fee in August 2014. The central defender made his first start in the 1-0 victory over Bradford City. He tasted first team football for Hartlepool United in a loan deal, playing alongside Jack Baldwin.

Michael Bostwick – DC, DM, MC – 26 – 330 (82) – 36 (9)

Michael Bostwick was originally signed as a combative central midfielder, but has played the majority of his games in a Posh shirt as a member of the back four. He developed a good partnership with Gabriel Zakuani in the Championship and has showed his versatility by performing admirably at right-back. The ability to play in a number of positions is invaluable, particularly with a smaller squad.

Jack Baldwin – DC, DM, MC – 21 – 88 (11) – 4 (0)

Highly-rated centre-back, who made the move to Peterborough United from Hartlepool United for a club record fee in the January transfer window of 2014. Stylish on the ball, Baldwin has already been linked with clubs in the Premier League after some excellent performances at the heart of the defence.

MIDFIELDERS

Grant McCann – DM, MC – 34 – 498 (155) – 84 (29)

Experienced Northern Ireland international, who is a firm fans favourite after some extremely vital goals down the years, including arguably the greatest free-kick in recent Posh history during the play-off final victory over Huddersfield Town. A cultured left-footed midfield man, McCann is also part of the coaching staff within the club’s Academy and his experience will be vital with a young squad assembled.

Jack Payne – DM, MC – 22 – 148 (47) – 7 (2)

Named as the club’s captain for the 2014-2015 campaign, Jack Payne joined the club from Gillingham. A hard-working central midfield man, Payne has already clocked up over 150 Football League appearances at the age of 22. Scored two superb volleys against Brentford (home and away) during the 2013-2014 campaign.

Kane Ferdinand – DM, MC – 21 – 100 (34) – 11 (1)

Signed from Southend United, Kane Ferdinand played a host of games for Posh in the Championship in a central midfield role. He has shown his versatility by performing at right-back on occasions.

Jermaine Anderson – DM, MC – 18 – 14 (14) – 0 (0)

Released by Arsenal, midfielder Jermaine Anderson joined the Peterborough United Academy at the age of 16 and has not looked back. Made his first team debut as a 16-year-old and has already clocked up nearly 50 appearances in the first team. Likened to Yaya Toure by club chairman Darragh MacAnthony, he certainly has all the traits of the Ivorian.

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing – MR, AMR, AML – 22 – 92 (70) – 10 (9)

An exciting winger, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing had numerous loan spells from Wolverhampton Wanderers including at London Road before penning a permanent deal with the football club. A quick, skilful wide-man, Mendez-Laing can also operate as a centre forward.

Joe Newell – ML, MC, AML – 21 – 57 (57) – 1 (1)

Joe Newell came through the latter age groups within the Peterborough United Academy and has found himself within the first team squad for a number of years. Predominately a left-sided midfielder, Newell can also operate at the tip of the diamond and has also been used as a left wing-back on occasion.

Jon Taylor – MR, AMR – 22 – 134 (0) – 21 (0)

Exciting winger who signed for Posh during the 2014 close season from League Two side Shrewsbury Town for an undisclosed fee. He can play on either wing or as a central striker and scored against Posh at the back end of the 2013-2014 campaign. Diminutive in stature, he has pace to burn and is good in the air for his size.

Kenneth McEvoy (on loan) – MR, ML, AMR, AML – 19 – 0 (0) – 0 (0)

McEvoy joined on a season-long youth loan from Tottenham Hotspur in the summer of 2014. A left-winger who joined the Spurs Academy at the age of 16, this is his first loan spell away from White Hart Lane. Looks very similar to Gareth Bale and also in the style of which he plays.

Erhun Oztumer – MC, AMC – 23 – 111 (0) – 52 (0)

Arrived at London Road from Dulwich Hamlet in the summer of 2014 for an undisclosed fee and has already been christened the ‘Turkish Messi’ by supporters. Hindered in pre-season with a niggly injury, the diminutive attacking midfielder will be looking to make a big impression at the club. Has had a spell playing in Turkey.

Marcus Maddison – AMR, AML, ST – 20 – 31 (0) – 10 (0)

Marcus joined the football club from Gateshead for an undisclosed fee. Can operate in a number of attacking positions and made his debut as a substitute in the 3-1 win at Colchester at the end of August 2014. A former Newcastle United youth graduate, Maddison caught the eye with some excellent displays for Gateshead.

STRIKERS

Kyle Vassell – AMR, ST – 22 – 55 (12) – 13 (6)

Signed from non-league Bishop’s Stortford where he netted 16 goals in as many games including four in one FA Cup qualifying fixture. Comparisons were made to Dwight Gayle, who also starred at Stortford before joining Peterborough United, but Vassell is a different type of striker. Quick and strong, Vassell netted his first Posh goal in the JPT area final against Swindon Town.

Luke James – AMR, ST – 19 – 87 (0) – 19 (0)

James made the move to Peterborough United on transfer deadline day (September 1st 2014) from Hartlepool United for an undisclosed fee, penning a four year deal at London Road. James netted 14 goals for Pools’ during the 2013-2014 campaign and had been tracked for some time by the scouts at London Road. An energetic front man, James came through the youth ranks at Victoria Park.

Conor Washington – AMC, ST – 22 – 105 (17) – 61 (4)

A local league hot-shot, Conor Washington initially came on trial from St. Ives, but after making his mark in the league with Newport County, Darren Ferguson brought him to London Road on a permanent basis for an undisclosed fee. A hard-working, pacy front man, Washington forged an impressive partnership with Britt Assombalonga.

Tyrone Barnett – ST – 28 – 313 (52) – 116 (11)

Powerful front man, who joined Posh from Crawley Town. A former Macclesfield Town striker, Barnett initially made an excellent start to life at London Road, forming an effective partnership with Paul Taylor in the Championship. Aerially superb, Barnett had a loan spell at Bristol City during the 2013-2014 campaign.

SQUAD REVIEW

The starting squad is quite strong, certainly strong enough to achieve the respectable league position required by the board. However, if you wish to push for the play-offs and even the automatic promotion spots, one area that certainly needs improving is the fullback spots. Kgosi is a very good option and should develop into a quality Championship defender but unfortunately, Michael Smith is ridiculously underrated. From what I’ve seen of him at the all the Posh home games this season, he looks just as good as Craig Alcock, who is a Championship quality player. So far, I’ve signed Jeremy Walker from Concord Rangers as another fullback option, however I’m yet to play any competitive games with him. He does seem to fit the profile of a standard Peterborough signing though. You get a very good transfer budget of 1.3M and with a little room left in the wage budget, you certainly have some room to maneuver in the transfer market.

Tactics-wise, I’m currently playing an attacking 4-4-2, trying to play as close to real life as possible. I would like to experiment with a 3-5-2 at some point as I feel the central defensive area is possibly the strongest in the squad.

One of the teams I shall be playing as that is for sure. Young squad, very good budget at this level and still some money to come in from clauses for players sold. I like the look of this Peterborough team this season.

One of the teams I shall be playing as that is for sure. Young squad, very good budget at this level and still some money to come in from clauses for players sold. I like the look of this Peterborough team this season.

The goalkeeper issue is frustrating me at the moment as I really want to play my Peterborough save but it's no fun constantly seeing 5+ goals in games.

Not played any games yet as I have been creating a tactic and looking at all the players see who is best suited and also looking to see who I can sign. Is this an issue with the match engine or with the GK Peterborough have in general?

Not played any games yet as I have been creating a tactic and looking at all the players see who is best suited and also looking to see who I can sign. Is this an issue with the match engine or with the GK Peterborough have in general?

I think the issue is with goalkeepers in general. As far as I know, SI are aware of it and will hopefully be fixed for the release.

Won the league in my first season fairly comfortably, 19 points ahead of Barnsley in 2nd place.

CopyofSkyBetLeague1_OverviewStages.png~original

Transfers

I made 3 key signings; the first being Jed Wallace from Portsmouth for £850k. At the time I wasn't sure if he was worth it but he had a good season and is now valued at £1.7m, so I'll make a decent profit if I end up selling. I also signed Michael Harriman from QPR for £200k, he went straight in as first choice and didn't disappoint. I got a couple of bids in January for him but they weren't enough for me to consider selling. I also got Jerome Binnom-Williams on a season-long loan from Crystal Palace, he was quality all season and I tried to sign him at the end of the season but Palace wanted too much. Probably the best player of the season though was Marcus Maddison, while he seems fairly average in FM terms, he had a great season getting 20 goals playing at Left Midfield.

I'm currently 29 games into my Championship season and I'm currently in 5th, but I'm 18 points behind 1st placed Newcastle.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently setting up my save now. Got all the UK and Irish leagues loaded along with the top leagues of Spain, Germany, France and Italy in view-only. Small DB with players from top clubs, top division clubs, national reputation and clubs in continental comps from Europe.

Pretty much had to make do with what we had with Peterborough as the chairman gave me **** all to work with. our highest earner is on £13k p/w and the only cash signing we made was Manquillo for £1.5m from Atletico.

Somehow survived with 3 games remaining. The likes of Bostwick, jermain Anderson and Luke James key players all season. Couldn't have done it without our 3 Barca loanees Vallejo, Traore and to a lesser extent Dongou.

Made an absolute fortune in tv money and now have around £42m in the bank. Hope we will be given some to spend as the likes of Dele Alli and Elias Kachunga want an absolute fortune to even think about staying.

Just announced that they are building a new stadium, The Noel Cantwell Stadium.

• 1 month later...

I've used Peterborough as a platform to build a new tactic and start a new save. Details around the tactic and my transfer activity so far are posted here http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/415635-4321-FC-Porto-2002-2004-Mourinho-Inspired-Tactical-Genius

Currently top of the league by a single point after 15 games. John Fleck, Luke James, and Zakuani have been the key players so far.

Also managed to knock Hull City out of the league cup, and gave Southampton a very tough game in the following round to lose 0-1.

Will be analysing how I've conceded my goals in my tactic thread as I believe I have leaked in too many, but have by far the best attack in the league.

Really enjoying the challenge so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As an update, ended up clinching automatic promotion as Champions of League 1.

2nd Season also completed and narrowly missed the play offs (goal difference) in my first season in the Championship.

I'll post a more comprehensive update later tonight, but believe I have one of the best teams in the league after a great recruitment drive this year.

Current squad is;

GK: Jed Steer, Ben Amos, Metaj Delac

DL: Luke Garbutt, Scott Malone

DR: Sam Hutchinson, Michael Harriman

DC: James Tomkins, Dedryck Boyata, Kyle Bartley, Jack Baldwin

DMC: Darren Fletcher, Kane Ferdinand

MC: John Fleck, Eunan O'Kane, Tom Adeyemi, Daniel Johnson, Thomas Reilly

AML: Tom Lawrence, Lewis Milne

AMR: Jon Taylor (Trying to sign either Scott Sinclair on a free or, Zac Clough)

SC: Luke James, Gary Hooper, Will Keane

Hoping to push for promotion this year, although the board seem happy with a mid table position.

ended season 1 as champions, ran riot finishing with 105 points managed to get arsenal as a parent club in the 2nd season and they loaned me, hector bellerin, serge gnabry, yaya sanogo and gedion zelalem, signed tyler blackett on a free along with joao teixeira from liverpool also free,will keane also joined but has hardly played,thomas rogne joined for 300k from wigan.sold ntlhe to brighton for 1m and zakuanu to burnley for 500k also.

just had a random offer from arsenal for Alnwick who ive been trying to sell since the start for 300k, need a new keeper for next season for sure

so far 2nd season im 3rd after 16 games, will post more later

Half way through my first (and hopefully only) save on FM15.

Started with Posh as it is my home town, my only desire being how far I can take them and not what big job opportunity will come my way.

So far I have signed Tom Kennedy (30k for a good L1 left back is very good), David Mooney for 425k, Darnell Fisher and Fraser Fyvie came in on loan.

Weren't overly happy with Alnwick's performances so signed Martin Fulop on a free in October as he is considerably better, is on a low wage and is easily good enough for the Championship, also signed Guy Moussi on a free in January.

Playing a 433, playing at pace out from the back with a fairly high line and high pressing.

Bit of an inconsistent start saw us only 13th after 5 games but with the league being very tight early on a 2-0 win over Port Vale in match 6 saw us climb from 13th to 6th in the space of one game.

Now in January, some good results and a bit of frustration have seen us drop down as far as 7th but currently making 3rd spot our own and now challenging for an automatic promotion slot.

Despite having scored 40 goals in 23 games, my top goalscorer Mooney, only has 8 goals with John Taylor (7) and Joe Newell (6) 2nd and 3rd, goals have been spread though with 14 different players getting themselves on the scoresheet.

Edit: 1st game of the new year has seen us knock Ipswich (1-0) out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round at London Road.

• 4 weeks later...

Just started a save with these on the new patch as they're a local side.

Nice British side injury free which is a nice start :) Some horrifically average players though, no-one wants Vassell, Mendez-Laing or Brisely on a free :mad: Santos can rot in u21s (how has he got such a long contract?!)

Trying to play a 4-1-2-2-1 with wide wingers and 2CMs/1DM. Possession based football so will be interesting to see how it works. Exploiting some of the Scottish market for players atm with Templeton being the first signing as Maddison was the only player that could play LW.

I thought Vassell was meant to be quite good in real life for that level?

I wouldn't go that far. When he first joined he just seemed to have that knack of scoring, doesn't stand out with any technique unlike previous P'boro strikers over the years.

Transfers 1st Window

Spent most of the budget I had on improving certain areas, whilst using my scouts I brought in (Wiltord/Pauleta) connections to bring in some very good players on very low wages from abroad. Secured Southampton as a parent club and made moves to bring Hesketh and Gallagher to the club which are major coups. Gallagher will be a starter 100% whilst Hesketh will be back up as want to play Anderson more due to his potential.

Tactics

Playing the same style I had going on a previous save with Real Madrid where it's all about a high tempo, win the ball high up and attack straight away. Relies heavily on the widemen scoring and providing loads due to the midfielders simply being much deeper to offer some solidity.

Instructions

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't updated this thread in a while, but thought I would post an update of where I am at.

Am now in my 5th season and managed to stay up in my first season in EPL. Luke James is still my top goalscorer and still scores in the premier league (double figures in the league).

After a season of consolidation in the premier league, I am looking to secure a mid table finish this season.

Players haven't changed much from my previous post (due to lack of funds), although I have added a few quality english youngsters.

Notable signings;

- Delle Ali

- Sam Byram

- John Guidetti

- Matt Ritchie

- Zac Clough

• 2 weeks later...

So this pre-season has been interesting.

Have added some more quality to the team overall. Notable inclusions;

- Albin Ekdal

- Jordon Mutch

- Younousse Sankhare

- Aymen Abdennour

- Erick Torres

Notable Exits

- Jay Rodriguez (Never fit in, left on a free)

- Eunan O'Kane (Wanted to leave, left on a free)

- Sam Byram (8.5m, wanted to leave)

- Adrien Rabiot (19.75m to Juventus)

- Luke James (10.5m to Stoke)

- Zakaria Bakkali (6.75m to Valencia)

- John Fleck (750k to Derby)

Overall the club has made a profit in transfer dealings this window and is looking pretty healthy financially. Can't wait to see what this season holds for us.

So far 3 games in, and unbeaten (3 wins out of 3). Got Man City and Liverpool next though, so might be in a different position in a couple of games.

• 1 month later...

I posted this somewhere else, not knowing about this thread:-

I'm playing as Peterborough and got promoted to the Championship, all well and good.

Peterborough currently having standing behind one of the goals at their stadium, and I believe I'm right in thinking that in the Championship you get 3 seasons where you're allowed this and then after those 3 seasons all stands have to be seating or they're not used. As Peterborough have already had 3 seasons in the Championship with the standing terrace, their next promotion (my one in the game) would mean that they would need to change this terrace to seats or the stand can't be used.

This is happening in my game, in League matches the stand is completely empty. In cup games it has fans. This is fine, it's how it should be. Except, and this being the big point here, on my facilities page, it says my stadium is a 14000 All Seater. It's not an All Seater!

And to make matters worse, I know Peterborough don't own their stadium (I'm a fan of the Posh), and so in the Board requests page I can only ask to build a new stadium or buy one. I can't ask to improve it. I haven't actually tried this yet, but I don't really have the money to do it.

Is the statement of an All Seater, when it's clearly not, an error? Has anyone else had this issue?

Archived