Pairs & Combinations FM2015 - UPDATED

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaking down sides it can be useful. If you pre-set players roles for the position, it can allow you to suddenly go from playing a pair of wingers to inside forwards, or inverting the flanks. Can just add variety and open up a defence.

------------------------Sweeper keeper support--------------------------

---------------CD(D)--------------CD(D)--------------CD(D)--------------

--DW(S)--------------DLP(S)---------------ADPL(A)-------------DW(S)--

----------------P(A)---------------CF(S)---------------AF(A)---------------

second system looks like this:

------------------------Sweeper keeper support--------------------------

---------------CD(D)--------------CD(D)--------------CD(D)--------------

--CWB(A)--------------------------------------------------------CWB(S)--

------------------------DLP(S)-------------ADPL(A)------------------------

---------------IF(S)------------------------------------IF(A)----------------

------------------------------------F9(S)------------------------------------

In the first system there is a real lack of proper width. I would suggest having more width on the right flank with a more attacking role and duty.

The 2nd system looks more solid and reliable on the flanks. Just wonder how congested that middle is going to get. Won't know unless you try it though!

In the first system there is a real lack of proper width. I would suggest having more width on the right flank with a more attacking role and duty.

The 2nd system looks more solid and reliable on the flanks. Just wonder how congested that middle is going to get. Won't know unless you try it though!

In the first system if I understand you, MR need to have more attacking roles and duty, or Poacher to change in Advanced Forward?

In the 2nd system I changes middfield roles to DLP(D) and ADPL(S) and striker to Trequartista, and it's going well for now.

TNX A LOT

Hi Llama, a quick question:

I usually play 2 centre mids, 1 BBM and 1 CM(D)

The team is playing well and is reasonably solid, but I often come up against teams lower down the league, who normally play a flat 4-5-1 or 4-4-2, and try and play long balls in behind my defence.

My question is: in these games is it worth changing my CM(D) to a BWM(D) or even a BWM(S)? I understand that this will make me more open in the middle of the park, but my rationale is that he is being bypassed by the long balls over the top so is being wasted from a defensive point of view. Would he be better off pushing up and trying to stop these long balls at source?

I play with a high defensive line and closing down more, which I appreciate will encourage teams to play like this against me. My CB's are reasonably quick so it's not a huge problem, but it's often a source of goals for certain teams I play against.

Any feedback would be great!

It's not advisable as you will gift so much dangerous space in front of the defence. Pressing more aggressively with your forwards is 1 way of preventing it, the more obvious is to drop your defensive line. Other option is to use a Sweeper Keeper

Hey,

I'm using a flat 4-4-2 in Championship and got promoted to Premiership.

Now I'm reviewing.

----------Adv(a)---DLF(s)---------

-----------------

WM(s)--BWM(s)---DLP(d)---W(a)

------------------------

FB(a)---CD©-----CD(b)----FB(s)

Team instructions:

Fluid

Standard

Pass into space

Play out of defense

Low crosses

Drop deeper

Stay on feet

Be more discipline

Exploit the flanks

Questions:

Should i put a BBM instead of the BWM?

Should i take out drop deeper?

Any suggestion?

The DLP would offer better protection on the left of the central pair, covering for the marauding full back.

Nothing wrong with dropping deeper, because you are staying on feet and being disciplined - you should have a decent shape.

hello, this is my main tactic in my current save with Vicenza (italian serie B). with a slightly different tactic i won serie B in the first season and now i'm 5th in serie A after 18 matches.

mentality: counter

team shape: fluid

----------------GK(d)

WB(s)----CD(d)----CD(d)----WB(a)

WM(a)---DLP(s)----CM(d)---WP(a)

---------------AM(a)

---------------DLF(s)

instructions:

retain possession

pass into space

work ball into box

play out of defence

be more disciplined

push higher up

stay on feet

PI: CDs shorter passing, close down less, WB(a) and CM(d) close down less, WM(a) cut inside, AM(a) move into channels

Advice/suggestions would be grateful

hello, this is my main tactic in my current save with Vicenza (italian serie B). with a slightly different tactic i won serie B in the first season and now i'm 5th in serie A after 18 matches.

mentality: counter

team shape: fluid

----------------GK(d)

WB(s)----CD(d)----CD(d)----WB(a)

WM(a)---DLP(s)----CM(d)---WP(a)

---------------AM(a)

---------------DLF(s)

instructions:

retain possession

pass into space

work ball into box

play out of defence

be more disciplined

push higher up

stay on feet

PI: CDs shorter passing, close down less, WB(a) and CM(d) close down less, WM(a) cut inside, AM(a) move into channels

Advice/suggestions would be grateful

No specific suggestions, do you have specific problems? It's a good setup.

I made the change (DLP to the side of the Attaking Full Back) and the team is more cohesive. Thanks for the advice.

No problem. Glad it's working.

Think about my current tactic i use, is this tactic setup good? or do i need tweak it a little?

-------------SK(D)-------------

--FB(S)--BPD(D)--CD©--FB(A)--

--W(S)--CM(D)----BBM(S)--W(A)--

------DLF(S)--------AF(S)------

Mentality : Attacking

Fluidity : Fluid

Team Instructions :

More Direct Passing

Be More Disciplined

Run At Defence

Play Out Of Defence

Push Higher Up

Higher Tempo

Get Stuck In

Close Down Less

PI :

BPD and CD - Close Down Less

CM and BBM - Shoot Less Often

Ws - Shoot Less Often

SK - Distribute to Specific Team-Mate (BPD)

DLF - Move Into Channels

FBs - Stay Wider, Close Down Less, Shoot Less Often

Your entire midfield should be inverted - you'll create better overlaps with a W(S) in front of a FB(A), and better protection for the W(A) with a FB(S) behind. The CM(D) should be on the same side as the FB(A) to offer better cover when he goes forward.

Do you really have an AF(S)?

No specific suggestions, do you have specific problems? It's a good setup.

Thanks. I don't see specific problems, we are doing well and the football we are playing is good. I'm not completely satisfied with the left back, as I would like to

see more attacking play from him, and the rating of my CM is always low, although he's doing what he should do. Sometimes I struggle to defend well against flat 433, and in general against teams with an AM and two strikers.

This is your PI for 4-1-2-2-1 system:

---------------F9 (S)------------------

IF(A)----------------------------IF (A)

------CM (A)---------DLP (S)---------

--------------DM (D)------------------

WB (A)---CD (D)---CD (D)---WB (A)

--------------GK (D)-------------------

I note that you set both fullbacks on attack duty, and both wingers on attack duty. Why did not you use the same principle as in all other systems, attack fullback and support winger and vice versa?

This is your PI for 4-1-2-2-1 system:

---------------F9 (S)------------------

IF(A)----------------------------IF (A)

------CM (A)---------DLP (S)---------

--------------DM (D)------------------

WB (A)---CD (D)---CD (D)---WB (A)

--------------GK (D)-------------------

I note that you set both fullbacks on attack duty, and both wingers on attack duty. Why did not you use the same principle as in all other systems, attack fullback and support winger and vice versa?

Because the IF's both come inside to attack the space left by the F9, the Wing Back's need to get forward and offer the support down the flank. The centre of the pitch is secure, with 2 of the 3 midfielders capable if sitting deep and compact, protecting against the space left by the Wing Back's bombing on.

It's an idea and example, not a "do it this way" instruction.

llama3,

............sk/d

cd/cov cd/sto cd/cov

dlp/d

w/s b2b/s cm/a w/s

af/a dlf/s

attacking

very fluid

push higher up

prevent gk short dis

close down more

what do you think about this for juventus setup?

I like the central midfield trio, but it has little penetration on the flanks. But at least the wingers will be disciplined defensively.

You defence is the bit I have doubts over - if you play with a player in the DMC slot, then your central defender in the trio should not play as a stopper. He does not need to press forward and attack the space, because the space is already covered. Furthermore, with the Wingers higher up on the flanks than say using Wing Backs, having Covering Duties will concede even more space on the flanks.

No I suggest having "cover" on the wide central defensive positions is a bad idea. I suggest you use stopper-cover-stopper, or, defend-cover-defend if the wide stoppers are too aggressive.

Your wing backs would do more defensively than the Winger, and would get forward with more purpose too.

what do you think about this for juventus setup?

If you're specifically trying to recreate Conte's back three, the closest thing is CD (stopper), BPD (cover), CD (stopper), although you could equally well put the middle of the three on a Libero role. This is effectively what Conte would do in games where Pirlo was marked out of the game, shifting the responsibility for direct passing further back to an unmarked Bonucci. Pirlo works better as a regista, incidentally. The rest is pretty accurate, though I'd probably use defensive wingers (or wing-backs).

Yes, that could work. I would like to play a semi-attacking style so control seems to be the only option, it would also give some counter attack movement I guess? As for pi's I'm struggling, nothing seems to work. But it is a good core to start with.

Yes, that could work. I would like to play a semi-attacking style so control seems to be the only option, it would also give some counter attack movement I guess? As for pi's I'm struggling, nothing seems to work. But it is a good core to start with.

Well it depends how you want to play though. Do you want to sit compact and play on the break? Do you want to press aggressively? Do you want to Counter rapidly primarily? Do you want to retain possession as your main focus? Do you want to play a positive attacking style generally?

Are there certain individuals you see playing a certain way? Any particularly key elements?

Well it depends how you want to play though. Do you want to sit compact and play on the break? Do you want to press aggressively? Do you want to Counter rapidly primarily? Do you want to retain possession as your main focus? Do you want to play a positive attacking style generally?

Are there certain individuals you see playing a certain way? Any particularly key elements?

Compact and play on the break. Retain possession 55-60%

Play the Chelsea way or Mourinho way which seems to be hard. He uses like a hybrid of all types of play these days, contain, counter and control. Don't think he plays very attacking to be honest. Possession, yes. Compact, yes. Counter, yes. Attacks will come naturally of all that maybe? Ivanovic is a complete wingback but is awesome in every aspect of play I think, Azpi is more defending, center half's I don't know really. Fabregas is a dlp or a roaming pm, matic is a combo of cm defend and bwm defend and even a dlp defend sometimes. The three amigos behind Costa is a hard nut to crack and even find a suitable role for Costa is...

I'm open to suggestions and tips.

I would have Hazard as an IF on the left, but not sure on duty. Diego Costa is a complete forward for me all day long. Fabregas as a Roaming Playmaker would really be excellent. I think maybe to offer some space in the middle, having Willian as a Winger would help out.

hi llama !!!

(sorry for my english,im spanish)

awesome guide, im arrived here via spanish forums, which have translated your guide , im a big fan

look , just promoted from french L2 to L1, with Le Havre AC , excellent facilities ,and lot of young prospects, im attempt developing a team with players made in the own academy only, no transfers from other teams,no free player, no youth from the others academies,nothing ...only LH players made in the own academy, but this has its problems, as I have a young team, but poor mental stats, physically powerful (much kind of African player,strenght and pacey), also with lack of technical and flair comparate with the other teams of L1 ...

how i can exploit this strenght and pace ¿?

im think in this shape:

[FM14]

GK (veteran)

FB (S) -> (pacey and not bad regular in mentals )- CB (good anticipacion and positioning great cb ) - CB - WB(A) -> pacey wingback here

A(D) -> (powerful player, high phisics here, lack of tecnique)

W(A)typical winger - MC(A) -> (pacey) - DLP (S) -> (the only one who knows how to move a ball) - WM(S)

F9(S) (what i found,his a typical poacher,pacey and agility,no more)

im play :counter ( think it's better who are behind the ball to go fast to the opp.box) / balanced (more move than structured,i think)/

short (lack technical players ,save the ball,not helt balls to the opp.defence) / high tempo (dont like the patience with ball,if they will think where the ball will go,will end up giving it away)

this shape and TI's is the best way to exploit the physical powerfull,and balance defence/attack ?

or maybe I need to be more direct and change the shape (442?) ?

thx a lot for read, if you can help me, you will do me very happy ;)

Looks a good structure. Although I would swap the MC(A) and DLP(S) would be better swapped to the other sides. You could afford to simply be more direct (this is doesn't mean long ball) to transition quicker. You have a formation this is defensively organised, but breaks quickly, using your pace and power. What problems do you find?

Can you please link me this translation? I have not given permission for a Spanish translation.

Looks a good structure. Although I would swap the MC(A) and DLP(S) would be better swapped to the other sides. You could afford to simply be more direct (this is doesn't mean long ball) to transition quicker. You have a formation this is defensively organised, but breaks quickly, using your pace and power. What problems do you find?

Can you please link me this translation? I have not given permission for a Spanish translation.

one of the things is that when I'm under a lot of pressure, I'm stuck in a trap and my players do not come out of the box, eventually just making a mistake that costs a goal down.

another is when im in ball posession, I make many mistakes as fail easy passes, midfield does not link to upfront

I do not know if putting a fast AMC behind the striker and play with double dmc , would improve things,

then, the shape would be like this:

gk

fb(s) -cb -cb - wb(a)

DMC (S) -> (the typical affrican player box to box ,and run at the counter,lack on tecnicals) / DLP (D)-> my playmaker

W(A) -> (the same to above) /AMC (A) -> (quick ,not very skillfull player,but hot prospect,18y) / IF (L)

F9(Y)

maybe I would need to run more play more separate lines, but this maybe I would killme in defense

what do you thing about this?

thx a lot !

To be honest, your plans there look sensible too. You have cohesive systems, perhaps it is just your in-game management that costs results? Pressing higher in a 4-1-4-1 is perfectly possible still.

sorry, i think I did not explain very well (google translator,here)

I look to play a simple mode, taking advantage of the speed and strength of my players in midfield and up front, my players are not very good technically and mentally, that is why when the opponent pushes me much, make lot of mistakes and we received a lot of goals

why I mentioned changing a 4141 to a 4231, and could escape the pressure that I receive,and make a some counters ...

thx for ur time and patience

I was wondering if it is effective to use both a DLP and an AP at the same time or should it be one or the other (such as [DLP/AM] or [CD/AP])?

Also, am in right in using DLF(a) as the striker in this tactic, or is there something better? (I chose DLF because the tactics creator auto-assign roles made him a DLF in this formation.) Although the striker's best roles are identified as Target Man, Poacher, Advanced forward, he led the team with 20 goals last season as a DLF so I stuck with it.

Any other issues jump out?

I am using 4-2-3-1 Wide with a lower-tier English League 1 team

----------DLF(a)----------

IF(s)-----AP(s)-----W(a)

-----CM(d)---DLP(s)-----

FB(a)--CD(d)--CD(d)--FB(s)

----------GK(d)------------

Standard/Structured

Work Ball into Box

Play Out of Defense

(GK distribute to CDs)

Retain Possession and/or Float Crosses depending how game is going

Thanks for this guide, it's helped me more than anything.

You can use both as long as your style of play sees them both get on the ball. The above system suits the use of both very well.

Might I be better off using an AF(a) rather than a DLF(a) with this setup? Watching the games, it seems the DLF and AMC end up occupying the same space sometimes, though the results tend to be fairly good so I'm not sure if that's a problem. My DLF is a fast TM type of player, with his best positions listed as TM, AF. ( By the way, is TM(a) also an option? ) I 've also wondered if the AP at AMC should be in a support or attack role. Not sure if that would make things worse.

Thanks in advance for any advice. For reference, my setup is the one directly above your last post (#793).

Hey,

I made a 4-4-2 to championship and for the 2 first seasons in Premiership, and it was ok. In first season I end in 3rd and won the qualification to Premiership, them in Premiership I stay in a 11th and now I will be at 6th-9th place. Not bad I think.

In the begin of the season I made some good results, but my team break at the end.

I want to make some changes in the team, to have more power of control/attack and win more balls.

I used this tactis:

-----------------

WM(s)--DLP(d)---BBM(s)---W(a)

------------------------

---------------GK(d)---------------

Team instructions:

- Fluid

- Standard

- Pass into space

- Play out of defense

- Work ball into box

- Higher tempo

- Low crosses

- Drop deeper

- Stay on feet

- Be more discipline

What I’m thinking to do it:

----------Adv(a)---CF(s)---------

-----------------

WM(a)--CM(d)---RPM(s)---WM(a)

------------------------

FB(s)---CD©-----CD(b)----FB(s)

---------------SK(d)---------------

Individual instruction

SK: Take short kicks & distribute to the flanks

LD: Run wide with the ball

CD (Cover): Close down less & hold position

CD (block): Close down more & hold position

RPM: Close down more

CF: Close down more

Adv: Close down less

My WM have preferred moves to cut inside.

Team instructions:

- Fluid

- Standard

- Shorter Passing

- Work ball into box

- Low crosses

- Lower tempo

- Drop deeper

- Stay on feet

- Be more discipline

I want to have a passive short pass with some control of the ball.

I’m not shure about the Rooming playmaker role, BBM is an option but don’t know what to put there. Any help

In the rest all the changes make sense?

The team to help:

GK: Hansen / Cleiton (Brazilian keeper)

CD: Stefan Strandberg (block) / Eric Dier (1st starter Cover) / Erik Sviatchenko (1st starter block / Cover if Stefan in 1 st squad) / Tyler Blackett (4th option)

LD/RD: Ylli Sallahi / Gino Peruzzi / Donati

RM: Michael Antonio / Stephen McLaughlin

CM (CM): Cohen / Adrien Rabiot

CM (RPM): Youri Tielemans / Nick Powell

LM: Dave Hoyt / Sergiy Bolbat (training to be RM to)

ST : Cauley Woodrow / Martin Ødegaard / Britt Assombalonga / Martin Ødegaard

Might I be better off using an AF(a) rather than a DLF(a) with this setup? Watching the games, it seems the DLF and AMC end up occupying the same space sometimes, though the results tend to be fairly good so I'm not sure if that's a problem. My DLF is a fast TM type of player, with his best positions listed as TM, AF. ( By the way, is TM(a) also an option? ) I 've also wondered if the AP at AMC should be in a support or attack role. Not sure if that would make things worse.

Thanks in advance for any advice. For reference, my setup is the one directly above your last post (#793).

If they occupy the same space, and get in each other's way, then yes you need to change it around. As for what works, I leave that to you. Your description makes him sound like a Complete Forward, but honestly, I'd just experiment and see what works instead.

Hey,

I made a 4-4-2 to championship and for the 2 first seasons in Premiership, and it was ok. In first season I end in 3rd and won the qualification to Premiership, them in Premiership I stay in a 11th and now I will be at 6th-9th place. Not bad I think.

In the begin of the season I made some good results, but my team break at the end.

I want to make some changes in the team, to have more power of control/attack and win more balls.

I used this tactis:

-----------------

WM(s)--DLP(d)---BBM(s)---W(a)

------------------------

---------------GK(d)---------------

Team instructions:

- Fluid

- Standard

- Pass into space

- Play out of defense

- Work ball into box

- Higher tempo

- Low crosses

- Drop deeper

- Stay on feet

- Be more discipline

What I’m thinking to do it:

----------Adv(a)---CF(s)---------

-----------------

WM(a)--CM(d)---RPM(s)---WM(a)

------------------------

FB(s)---CD©-----CD(b)----FB(s)

---------------SK(d)---------------

Individual instruction

SK: Take short kicks & distribute to the flanks

LD: Run wide with the ball

CD (Cover): Close down less & hold position

CD (block): Close down more & hold position

RPM: Close down more

CF: Close down more

Adv: Close down less

My WM have preferred moves to cut inside.

Team instructions:

- Fluid

- Standard

- Shorter Passing

- Work ball into box

- Low crosses

- Lower tempo

- Drop deeper

- Stay on feet

- Be more discipline

I want to have a passive short pass with some control of the ball.

I’m not shure about the Rooming playmaker role, BBM is an option but don’t know what to put there. Any help

In the rest all the changes make sense?

The team to help:

GK: Hansen / Cleiton (Brazilian keeper)

CD: Stefan Strandberg (block) / Eric Dier (1st starter Cover) / Erik Sviatchenko (1st starter block / Cover if Stefan in 1 st squad) / Tyler Blackett (4th option)

LD/RD: Ylli Sallahi / Gino Peruzzi / Donati

RM: Michael Antonio / Stephen McLaughlin

CM (CM): Cohen / Adrien Rabiot

CM (RPM): Youri Tielemans / Nick Powell

LM: Dave Hoyt / Sergiy Bolbat (training to be RM to)

ST : Cauley Woodrow / Martin Ødegaard / Britt Assombalonga / Martin Ødegaard

Don't know why you need a SK when you already have a CD ©. Also, I think those FBs should be WBs with Stay Wide as their PI. You don't want your wide men to occupy the same space

The above advice is pretty spot on to be honest. Most of the rest of the system looks sound.

Hey llama it's been a while. Been a little bit since I've been on here and since I last played FM :D

I figured if I was gonna get back into things, a good start would be with some advice on my setup.

ahKaQS9.png

This is what I've decided to give a try. What do you think?

I would say that a bit more variety on the flanks would be good. I think that Fletcher is a poor playmaker and Rooney in a deep role needs to be used either in a very penetrating role, or a creative/playmaker role. I would probably play Falcao & van Persie in a 4-4-2 because of their very "end product" nature. But it's well balanced though. :)