Pairs & Combinations FM2015 - UPDATED

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job llama3, congratulation, your thread is absolutely brilliant. What do you think about new roles, specially a combination of a roaming playmaker and a box to box in a 4-2-3-1 with an advanced playmaker to attack in AM position?

At moment i'm working on this 4-2-3-1

GK- defend

WB R support

WB L attack

DC R cover

DC L stopper

MC R roaming playmaker ( who can be a DLP- defend, CM-defend or a Anchorman-defend when i need to retain the result or i face toughest opponents)

MC L box to box

AMR raumdeuter

AM advanced playmaker attack

AML inside forward support

CF Complete forward (support or attack) or advanced forward

Team instructions Flexible - Attack (Standard against toughest opponents) : Shorter passing,pass into space,play out of defence, run at defense,push higher up, close down more, get stuck in,be more expressive,roam from positions,higher tempo.

thanks in advance mate, nice job ;)

Suicidal defensively. That pair of roles is far too aggressive. Your defence will be seriously exposed.

llama3, have I missed it or are you still working on the FM15 update?

Still working. Been busy last week. Brother has been out to visit, and been at the F1 at the weekend. Will try and crack on more over weekend.

Suicidal defensively. That pair of roles is far too aggressive. Your defence will be seriously exposed.

Still working. Been busy last week. Brother has been out to visit, and been at the F1 at the weekend. Will try and crack on more over weekend.

How the other half live! Good man.

Hi llama, great thread here. been really struggling with this 4-2-3-1 DM Wide. Any help appreciated, to be honest I'm really lost on what type of TIs and PIs I should be using.

GK

FB - S

LD - D

CB - D

CWB - A

A - D

DM - S

IF - S

AP - A

W - S

F9 - S

Any help with team balancing or TIs from anyone is appreciated.

Hi llama, great thread here. been really struggling with this 4-2-3-1 DM Wide. Any help appreciated, to be honest I'm really lost on what type of TIs and PIs I should be using.

GK

FB - S

LD - D

CB - D

CWB - A

A - D

DM - S

IF - S

AP - A

W - S

F9 - S

Any help with team balancing or TIs from anyone is appreciated.

Well the big questions - how do you want the team to play? What instructions are you currently using? What are the problems?

For what it is worth, your deepest 6 players look fine (although not sure why you want a Limited Defender when he has 5 good passing options around him), it is your front 4 that look disjointed, lacking a link up with the players behind them, and with no obvious goal threat in the team.

llama3, what do you think of wide midfield diamonds? DMC-ML-MR-AMC? What would one require to make it work?

Basically a lot of movement, as well as a passing range offering a degree of directness to make sure you cannot force a player out of the game. The AMC is situated behind a strike pair, so it stands to reason he is able to drop deep, because there is another forward who can link up in the attack, so there is less pressure on the AMC to get high up. Your DMC does really need to protect the defence, but if they have a good range of passing, then playing as a DLP is a great option. I would probably suggest, playing a Winger/Wide Midfielder on 1 side to offer some directness, but I would recommend getting a Wide Playmaker (Support) to come inside, or a Wide Midfielder with a PI to offer a central passing option. Maybe an Inverted Wing Back could help and add another central passing option. The main aim - don't let yourself get outnumbered in the middle.

Well the big questions - how do you want the team to play? What instructions are you currently using? What are the problems?

For what it is worth, your deepest 6 players look fine (although not sure why you want a Limited Defender when he has 5 good passing options around him), it is your front 4 that look disjointed, lacking a link up with the players behind them, and with no obvious goal threat in the team.

So how would I get them to link up? Would I have to play a BBM or something? And I'm Marseille so I'm looking to be fairly controlling and dominating as I'm one of the better teams in the league

So how would I get them to link up? Would I have to play a BBM or something? And I'm Marseille so I'm looking to be fairly controlling and dominating as I'm one of the better teams in the league

As I said in the previous reply - your deepest 6 are fine (with the potential exception of the limited defender), so playing a BBM is unnecessary. The problem is your front 4. You have no obvious goal threat - look at your front 4 and tell me who you think is actually going to score goals - none of them are focused on converting chances. You have a Winger playing in front of a CWB, and an IF in front of a FB(S) - no width on the left, and players in each others way on the right. Your central playmaker will be crowded out by the striker dropping deep, and the IF coming inside, into the same space as the AP sits already.

three man midfield that consists of the following

DM

AP (a) RP (s)

Does this work in terms of the RP and AP together or will they in theory go into the same space etc? Would a DLP be more effective?

Try it and see if they play in the same space. If they do, go to a CM(A) instead of AP(A), or, you can play a BBM(S) or DLP(S) instead. Variety of options.

hi Llama. my team contain lot of playmaker but physiqally they are bad. I cant hope they could do well as ball winner. I also have 2 great wingers. so what should I do for my central midfield combination?

I play aggressive attacking football. c high pressing,and high tempo.I push higher up .

this is my current role on 4-5-1

GK:SW-support

FB:Wing back -support (both)

cb:Central defender-defend (both)

Winger : inside forward-support (left side) winger-attack (right side)

Forward : trequarista (attack)

my 3 cm is still undecided. I used to play with 1 cm, defend (could be dm with support role too), with dlp(sometimes regista too) and advanced playmaker (sometimes changed to roaming playmaker)

I know team could work well with 2 playmaker,while 1 drop back,and 1 is up front. but how about 3 playmaker? And what is the best way I set my 3 weak midfield to win the ball?

roaming playmaker,should he accompanied with holding midfield,or its ok to use no holding player beside him

I decided to make the most overly attacking setup and then pull back accordingly :D

CFs

AMa

WMa RPM/DLPs DLPd WMa

WBa CDd CDd WBa

I might try FBs instead of WBs and/or try them on support.

Also thinking an RPM might be better than the DLP support.

Either way this should be fun :D

If you want to use 3 playmakers, they need to operate in different areas of the pitch. They still need to cover defensively etc. Best recommendation is DLP(D), RP(S), T(A)

Thanks Llama. I want to ask about RP. does RP a runner,like advanced playmaker? should he always accompanied with holding midfield too?

will RP as aggressive as regista to get the ball?

thanks a lot :)

Hi Llama,

Excellent thread you have there. Really help a lot!

Anyway need some advice from you regarding my formation here:

Man Utd in season 2018/2019, playing 4-2-3-1:

GK De Gea

FB(S) CD(D) CD © FB(A) Rafael Jones Evans Shaw

BBM(S) DLP(S) Fellaini Ward-Prowse

W(A) AP(S) IF(A) Bruma Kagawa/Rooney James Rodriguez/Januzaj

AF(A) Barbosa/Angelo Henriquez

Team Instructions:

Shorter passing

Play out of Defense

Hassle Opponent

More Expressive

Push Higher Up

Roam from Positions

Does this set-up look balanced? Occasionally I will change the DLP(S) to DLP(D) if I need more cover in front of my back 4

Intend to play pressing game (not in possession), possession based, one-two football, short-quick passing

Questions:

1) How to get my striker to score on more consistent basis? My striker goal scoring ratio is sth around 1 goal in 2 games (prefer 1:1 ratio!)

2) How to create some sort of one two quick passing attack in opponent final third?

3) Notice sometimes my BBM(S) and AP(S) will clash onto each other in the same space, how to solve?

No problem in dominating domestically, but never get beyond semi final in Champions League:(

I've started using a Support Striker in a 4-4-1-1 and currently use a DLF as the SC. The guide mentions using a False 9 with a Shadow Striker which I haven't tried yet - has anyone used a DLF with the SS?

I've noticed the DLF drops quite deep - I assume the F9 doesn't drop as deep?

When using the F9 and SS combo, I find the F9 drops very deep, often playing the pass for the SS to run on to.

I've often seen my F9 playing in my own half while the SS is more advanced and running at the defense.

When using the F9 and SS combo, I find the F9 drops very deep, often playing the pass for the SS to run on to.

I've often seen my F9 playing in my own half while the SS is more advanced and running at the defense.

Thanks - i've seen sort of similar with the DLF but not too many fwd runs from the SS...experimentation coming up I suppose!

I found my F9 scored slightly more goals, but he was a slightly better player I would say.

The SS was very close behind in terms of goals though, and was fans player of the season, and I believe had the best avg rating of anyone in the league.

llama3 this is what I play. What do you think about it?

4231 Wide

GK-GK(D)

LB-WB(S)

CB-CD(D)

CB-CD(D)

RB-FB(S)

MCL-BWM(S)

MCR-DLP(D)

AML-IF(A)

AMC-AP(S)

AMR-W(A)

ST-CF(A)

Team Instructions-Retain Possesion,Shorter Passing,Play out of Defence,Prevent Short GK Distribution,Close Down More,Be More Expressive

I have no individual instruction for the players except my GK which I give distribute to fullbacks.

I cant seem to get my striker to play well though. Not sure why. I have Costa as my striker.

Playing with Liverpool and I'm trying to make a tactic work with 2 B2B midfielders, anyone had any success with this?

GK (D)

CD © CD ©

WBR (S) DLP (S) WBR (S)

B2B (S) B2B (S)

SS (A)

CF (S) AF (A)

Attacking - Very Rigid

Centre backs are both set to hold position which seems to work quite well. B2B midfielders have risker passes on and run wide with ball to give width to the formation. Seem to have an issue scoring goals.

Is fludity right for this formation type?

;10048057']llama3 this is what I play. What do you think about it?

4231 Wide

GK-GK(D)

LB-WB(S)

CB-CD(D)

CB-CD(D)

RB-FB(S)

MCL-BWM(S)

MCR-DLP(D)

AML-IF(A)

AMC-AP(S)

AMR-W(A)

ST-CF(A)

Team Instructions-Retain Possesion' date='Shorter Passing,Play out of Defence,Prevent Short GK Distribution,Close Down More,Be More Expressive

I have no individual instruction for the players except my GK which I give distribute to fullbacks.

I cant seem to get my striker to play well though. Not sure why. I have Costa as my striker.[/quote']

The centre is a bit congested, and there are not many players sitting in a good defensive shape. I would say you probably need to be pressing quite heavily to make this system work.

Playing with Liverpool and I'm trying to make a tactic work with 2 B2B midfielders, anyone had any success with this?

GK (D)

CD © CD ©

WBR (S) DLP (S) WBR (S)

B2B (S) B2B (S)

SS (A)

CF (S) AF (A)

Attacking - Very Rigid

Centre backs are both set to hold position which seems to work quite well. B2B midfielders have risker passes on and run wide with ball to give width to the formation. Seem to have an issue scoring goals.

Is fludity right for this formation type?

Playing 2 x BBM's is ok, in a 4 man midfield. Although not sure why you expect them to score goals - considering your opponents have 3 central players ahead of them. What space do you think they are going to attack?

Fluidity is not my best area - try asking The Hand of God in his fluidity thread. He has a superb understanding of fluidity.

I think you have the Half-Back role wrong Llama3. I've always thought that e drops into the backline when his team have possession, but plays a regular defensive midfielder role when out of possession?

Llama, thanks for your thoughts. I'm not expecting them to score the goals, although they have a couple, I'm looking for the goals to come from the attacking 3. Just wondered how the set up looked, the idea is 2 box to box players like henderson and James McCarthy to dominate the midfield area, both are capable attacking players and defensive players with good passing and vision and workrate.

I am not sure why you have 2 covering defenders. The lack of a defensive duty in the DLP is a bit baffling, as the DLP cannot really dribble forward into that midfield zone with 2 x BBM's in front. I also am not sure about the thinking of having the 2 Wing Backs stationed further up.

The covering defenders was to allow the team to drop off a bit, when played with CD (D) conceded a lot more goals. Will try a different DLP function. The wing backs are to provide support to the attacks with crosses but primarily provide a shield.

Not sure if I'm trying to do too much with all things in the tactic. I ideally would like a pressing dominant game with a dynamic front 3 scoring the goals like liverpool last season.

Played CM since 93/94 version but struggling with this match engine for some reason, which is actually great as I think it's much more of a challenge than usual.

GK D - Play it Shorter - Fewer Risky passes

CDR C - Mark Tighter, Hold position

CDL C - Mark Tighter, Hold Position

WBR S - Mark Tighter, Pass it shorter, cross more often, stay wider, run wide with ball

WBL S - Mark Tighter, Pass it shorter, cross more often, stay wider, run wide with ball

DLP S - Dribble less, more direct passes (the idea is Gerrard plays the pivot role)

B2BR S - More risky passes, run wide with ball, close down much more

B2BL S - More risky passes, run wide with ball, close down much more

SS A - Roam from position, pass it shorter, close down much more

T A - Pass it shorter, run wide with ball

T A - Pass it shorter, run wide with ball

(Previously CF S - close down more, run wide with ball & AF - A close down more, run wide with ball)

TI

Shorter Passing

Play out of defence

Play wider

Close down much more

Much Higher Tempo

The idea was to create attractive short passing, but with a pressing game. Play wider and run wide with ball to compensate for lack of width with formation.

Appreciate your thoughts, thanks for taking the time

Dear all,

I have slightly modified my team set up as below:

Formation: 4-2-3-1

Strategy: Control

Fluidity: Fluid

--------------GK---------------

FB(A)--CD(D)--CD©--FB(S)

-------BBM(S)--CM(S)--------

IF(S)--------AP(S)-------IF(A)

------------DLF(S)-------------

Team Instructions:

Shorter Passing

Get Stuck In

Hassle Opponent

More Expressive

Play out of Defense

Push Higher Up

Any suggestion or feedback on this? Anything to tweak?

I have tried DLP(S) instead of CM(S) but I notice DLP(S) stays slightly deeper, thus lack of some options in the middle of the park when in possesion (since my BBM already burst forward). Am I doing this correct by changing to CM(S)?

My main goal threats came from both IF. My question is how can I get my striker to score more consistently as well to lower both my IF burdens? The reason I chose DLF(S) here with PI "Move into channels" is to create space for my IF to fill in and drops deeper to link up with my AP(S).

Any feedbacks are highly appreciated. Please

Dear all,

I have slightly modified my team set up as below:

Formation: 4-2-3-1

Strategy: Control

Fluidity: Fluid

--------------GK---------------

FB(A)--CD(D)--CD©--FB(S)

-------BBM(S)--CM(S)--------

IF(S)--------AP(S)-------IF(A)

------------DLF(S)-------------

Team Instructions:

Shorter Passing

Get Stuck In

Hassle Opponent

More Expressive

Play out of Defense

Push Higher Up

Any suggestion or feedback on this? Anything to tweak?

I have tried DLP(S) instead of CM(S) but I notice DLP(S) stays slightly deeper, thus lack of some options in the middle of the park when in possesion (since my BBM already burst forward). Am I doing this correct by changing to CM(S)?

My main goal threats came from both IF. My question is how can I get my striker to score more consistently as well to lower both my IF burdens? The reason I chose DLF(S) here with PI "Move into channels" is to create space for my IF to fill in and drops deeper to link up with my AP(S).

Any feedbacks are highly appreciated. Please

Did you read the OP? I find it impossible that you read the OP and didn't use a defend duty in central midfield. If your B2B is not getting forward enough, watch his performance in a match. Is there any room to burst into? Are the IFs, DLFs, CMs, and AMs occupying similar spaces? Looks like a can of packed tuna in the AM zone to me.

The IFa is your most consistent man at getting into the box to get on the end of things. If I was a manager, I'd just nullify him and you would be little to no threat to me. Why? Because you got a zillion mail men (support duties) but only one package(attacking duty likely to finish moves). I find it incredible if you read this thread.

Did you read the OP? I find it impossible that you read the OP and didn't use a defend duty in central midfield. If your B2B is not getting forward enough, watch his performance in a match. Is there any room to burst into? Are the IFs, DLFs, CMs, and AMs occupying similar spaces? Looks like a can of packed tuna in the AM zone to me.

The IFa is your most consistent man at getting into the box to get on the end of things. If I was a manager, I'd just nullify him and you would be little to no threat to me. Why? Because you got a zillion mail men (support duties) but only one package(attacking duty likely to finish moves). I find it incredible if you read this thread.

Noted on your points. I did read this thread, just maybe I apply the wrong thing I guess?

Anyway, if I switch DLF(S) to AF(A), and also CM(S) to CM(D), is it the correct way?

Appreciate your feedback on this again pelejunior. Thanks

Noted on your points. I did read this thread, just maybe I apply the wrong thing I guess?

Anyway, if I switch DLF(S) to AF(A), and also CM(S) to CM(D), is it the correct way?

Appreciate your feedback on this again pelejunior. Thanks

It's more coherent and balanced. I'd put the CMd on the FBa side to cover the fullback. I'd think about making the IFs a Winger to give the APs the freedom of the AM stratta.

You have to remember too, that although getting the balance of roles and duties correct is half the battle, the other half comes from getting match strategy correct. Perfectly logical roles and duties, pairs and combos can still fail spectacularly if your match strategy is flawed. This is where watching games is so vital.

Best of luck!

It's more coherent and balanced. I'd put the CMd on the FBa side to cover the fullback. I'd think about making the IFs a Winger to give the APs the freedom of the AM stratta.

You have to remember too, that although getting the balance of roles and duties correct is half the battle, the other half comes from getting match strategy correct. Perfectly logical roles and duties, pairs and combos can still fail spectacularly if your match strategy is flawed. This is where watching games is so vital.

Best of luck!

Have any tips to how you go about reading this?

Have any tips to how you go about reading this?

To be honest it's a massive thread to go through all the permutations. It's really an experience thing. The more you watch, tinker, mess up etc the more you learn. I will leave two threads which will do what your looking for way way better than I ever could

THOGS step through a fair few matches implementing various strategies - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/382854-The-Mentality-Ladder-A-Practical-Framework-for-Understanding-Fluidity-and-Duty?p=9488066&viewfull=1#post9488066

Cleons work in the thread building and maintaining a tactic - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/403153-Building-A-Tactic-From-The-Beginning-And-Maintaining-It-Long-Term?p=10029579&viewfull=1#post10029579

Best of luck!

Thanks! Have changed accordingly from CM(S) to CM(D) and switch him to FB(A) side to cover defensively. However, the problem in which I opt for DLF(S) instead of AF(A) is from the game, my forward wasn't involve as much as I wanted to. Yes, I agree that DLF(S) will drop to AM strata thus congested that area and no one at the end of my attack except my IF(A), but when I play my forward as DLF(S), he tends to drop deep and usually have a quick short passing between himself and the AP(S), and pass it forward to my IF to score, which I think better than the AP(S) controlling the ball alone in that area without anyone near him for short pass (assuming my AP(S) is being marked tightly). Anyway just my thoughts, will improve further on my understanding on it.

Next question is how if I am up against a strong team that tend to play narrow, high pressing game? Initially I change my TI to drop deeper and bring my AMR/L to MR/L to defend, but still am like inviting them into my final third, and with their star players able to open up the space with their skills, I am being pressed heavily.

Then I switched to push higher up, hassle opponent, thinking to stop their attack from back, left them little time to build up the attack momentum, yet am being exposed to through ball into space for their forwards to run into.

Hmmm, advice please?

Thanks! Have changed accordingly from CM(S) to CM(D) and switch him to FB(A) side to cover defensively. However, the problem in which I opt for DLF(S) instead of AF(A) is from the game, my forward wasn't involve as much as I wanted to. Yes, I agree that DLF(S) will drop to AM strata thus congested that area and no one at the end of my attack except my IF(A), but when I play my forward as DLF(S), he tends to drop deep and usually have a quick short passing between himself and the AP(S), and pass it forward to my IF to score, which I think better than the AP(S) controlling the ball alone in that area without anyone near him for short pass (assuming my AP(S) is being marked tightly). Anyway just my thoughts, will improve further on my understanding on it.

Next question is how if I am up against a strong team that tend to play narrow, high pressing game? Initially I change my TI to drop deeper and bring my AMR/L to MR/L to defend, but still am like inviting them into my final third, and with their star players able to open up the space with their skills, I am being pressed heavily.

Then I switched to push higher up, hassle opponent, thinking to stop their attack from back, left them little time to build up the attack momentum, yet am being exposed to through ball into space for their forwards to run into.

Hmmm, advice please?

If you are playing against a stronger team who are pressing you high, it would be a strategy to play more direct from out of the back, moving the ball quicker from the backline will hopefully by pass their press and open up spaces that they leave in behind. If the AI is narrow, then you have space out wide don't you?

As for your DLFs thoughts, absolutely if it is working for you with these players, then absolutely leave it be.

If you are playing against a stronger team who are pressing you high, it would be a strategy to play more direct from out of the back, moving the ball quicker from the backline will hopefully by pass their press and open up spaces that they leave in behind. If the AI is narrow, then you have space out wide don't you?

As for your DLFs thoughts, absolutely if it is working for you with these players, then absolutely leave it be.

Great advice pele! Was thinking the same, as I went down 2-0 in the 1st leg away to Bayern, was totally outplayed by them since they pressed me damn high. Back to home, I switch to "Fluid" and "Control", and trying to press them instead, I went 3-0 up in the 1st 30 mins, then they switch and press me from my back again, they scored 1 back, I switch to "Drop Deeper" "Clear to Flanks" "Pass to Space" "Higher tempo" "More direct", but their keeper saved their lives and end up I been eliminated by away goal :(

My next question would be: Scorers always got the rating of above 7.5 or 8, is it fine if others average around 6.8 to 6.9? Is it mean they contribute little or played average game?

Great advice pele! Was thinking the same, as I went down 2-0 in the 1st leg away to Bayern, was totally outplayed by them since they pressed me damn high. Back to home, I switch to "Fluid" and "Control", and trying to press them instead, I went 3-0 up in the 1st 30 mins, then they switch and press me from my back again, they scored 1 back, I switch to "Drop Deeper" "Clear to Flanks" "Pass to Space" "Higher tempo" "More direct", but their keeper saved their lives and end up I been eliminated by away goal :(

My next question would be: Scorers always got the rating of above 7.5 or 8, is it fine if others average around 6.8 to 6.9? Is it mean they contribute little or played average game?

Players without assists/goals tend not to score very highly, unless, as is sometimes seen, the whole team puts in a super star performance, then everybody seems to score highly. 6.7 > is a grand rating for non goal scorers or assist players.