What's the best strategy when you are desperate for a goal?

Overload is the best strategy for this. Your problems could be down to your tactics. You can't just go overload and expect to score if your tactics aren't set up very well.

Perhaps you should explain what your tactical setup is and we might be able to see where you are going wrong.

Overload can work, but it can also horribly fail if the opponent parks the bus well enough. So it's depending on your tactics and your opponent, there can be no single conclusive answer for every situation.
Seconded. It is just like IRL.

Lots of people think overload is an instant goal option, but the recent Villa v Bradford game is an excellent real life example of why not. They flung about 8 forward, who all stood with the defence on the edge of the box, while the remainder stood on the halfway line, passing the ball between them until they got a chance to hoof it forward, from where it was promptly headed back to the halfway line for the process to repeat all over.

What I tend to do is move so I have 3 ST's and at least 3 in the AM line, then set them all to make forward runs and through balls. I should add it is about 50/50 whether this sees me equalise or concede more, but that is how it should be in such desperate scenarios.

If you put too many forward, like back when I used to put 5 up front, they just either end up all offside or all stood on top of each other.

I find this as well. I can only assume that this is because my tactic isn't set up to work well with Overload.
Yup

I have to say I find Overload doesn't work either... it just seems to make the game zoom by without any key highlights.

I do combine it with shouts though, which might be the wrong ones to choose maybe.... stuff like Hit Crosses Early, Get Ball Forward, Shoot On Sight etc.

I find this as well. I've had quite a few occasions where I've been 2-0 down but creating lots of chances, score to make it 2-1 with about 10-15 minutes remaining, and go to Overload with Take More Risks, Pump Ball Into Box and Get Ball Forward to try to press for an equaliser. And then watched as the last 10 minutes tick by without a single highlight. Very annoying. I can only assume that this is because my tactic isn't set up to work well with Overload, but luckily I've usually been 3 or 4-0 up in the last few minutes recently so it isn't really a problem.

I find this as well. I've had quite a few occasions where I've been 2-0 down but creating lots of chances, score to make it 2-1 with about 10-15 minutes remaining, and go to Overload with Take More Risks, Pump Ball Into Box and Get Ball Forward to try to press for an equaliser. And then watched as the last 10 minutes tick by without a single highlight. Very annoying. I can only assume that this is because my tactic isn't set up to work well with Overload, but luckily I've usually been 3 or 4-0 up in the last few minutes recently so it isn't really a problem.

It could be that your opponents manged to defend it very well, meaning there were no highlights worth watching. I would recommend switching to full match for the last 10 minutes and you can see exactly where things are going wrong.

That's because it's very easy to defend. If your opponent is sitting deep with a few tall defenders, they will happily handle an opponent wildly thumping long balls into the box all day long. If that weren't the case, everyone would just punt the ball forward all the time (see also: the decline of English football).

IMO, overload is mainly useful against an opponent also on the offensive, and even then, its main benefit is pinning them into their own third. Against a defensive side high on confidence from holding off a higher rep opponent, you will need several tall, powerful attacking players to stand a chance of creating anything with desperate crosses and long balls.

In general, there is no best strategy. As with all things tactical, context is everything.

Overload can be effective if your team is familiar with that strategy. You should prepare and familiarise your team with a tactic to use when behind late in the game. Just changing strategy to overload when behind in games will have your players playing a tactic where their familiarity for the mentality is 'awkward'.

It's my impression that an overload tactic where the team is fluid in all tactical aspects can be quite effective.

The reason I asked the original question is because I've found that if my team is set up with Attacking style with defensive line pushed right up and a high tempo, and I score an early goal or two my team only goes onto to win comfortably by three or more goals after I've reverted to a Control style with the defensive line pulled back (as opposed to staying in attack mode). If I stay attacking I'll win narrowly or draw. This only works though when I'm leading games against weaker opposition. I'm currently trying to figure out a good way to get back into games from losing positions in the last 20 minutes or so. I have a feeling that it makes sense to avoid overload but I've yet to figure out something that works.

It depends where its all going wrong for you. Games where my team play poorly are usually down to being outnumbered in midfield, i.e. I have fielded a 4-man midfield (3 CMs and AM, or 2 wingers and 2 CMs) and we are playing against a 5 man midfield.

In these situations I have had some success taking off a winger or striker (!) to field a DM in 'the hole' in front of the back four. Just the extra possession and defensive solidity (reducing the opposition's time on the ball) ends up creating chances for my team.

Lots of people think overload is an instant goal option, but the recent Villa v Bradford game is an excellent real life example of why not. They flung about 8 forward, who all stood with the defence on the edge of the box, while the remainder stood on the halfway line, passing the ball between them until they got a chance to hoof it forward, from where it was promptly headed back to the halfway line for the process to repeat all over.

I was there and can confirm it made no difference lol, We caught them on the break everytime and they did not create anything, Their second goal was a punt.

If you apply a bit of logic to the overload setting then it may help.

Overload is telling your whole team to get forward when possible.

For overload you need a high pace, anticipation, decisions, composure, stamina etc to keep it up.

You also need to be the fitter of the 2 sides and also have better players.

If I need to force a draw in a cup game for example and I'm losing I tend to either push one player up front from the back and set him as the target man and supply to his head and go long ball (unless I have a striker on bench and a sub left then I work the tactics around what I've got.)

My base tactic is 4-4-1-1.if I'm losing I go 4-4-2 and if I need something I go 3-4-2 with defensive midfielders (or cm with defend set) and get the ball forward. If it's a bigger club I go counter attack, if it's a smaller or equal club I go attack.

Archived