The Commentators Curse: Volume 1 – The Battle of the ‘stans’ (Holiday / Sign Up

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see that I am finally recognised as a true wonderkid, though I might need to be much better than that if we are to progress! We'd have to beat them all at some point so why not get it in early and get ready to lift that trophy lke we do the Stanlies Cup EVERY YEAR!!!!

KUTGW - this is a fantastic sign-up

Oh and added side note.

Morocco seems to always do really well for some reason. I've gotton to 2010 in two different games and Morocco made it to the semi-final in one and the quarterfinal in the other.

So don't be surprised if they pull off some upsets.

icon13.gif Sprained ankle! Got dang it!

icon14.gif Nice to see my other home country will be in the World Cup as well icon_biggrin.gif Go Canada!

icon13.gif Only drew Slovenia

icon14.gif Crushed Northern Mariana! Didn;t even know they had a team.

icon13.gif Killer group for us, although at least we avoided major Europe powers. We should have an outside shot at topping Portugal and Holland, although Colombia always has a killer team by now.

icon13.gif Canada didn't appear to have luck on their side either.

icon_eek.gif Wow. England Brazil and Ivory Coast in one group. Man those Elephants never seem to get any luck.

Scott1990 - yeah Dumats was injured in the run up to the Napoli v Portsmouth game.

Player Cam Match Report

Sun 12th Dec: Napoli (16th) v (7th) Catania – League Match

Turkus Mendieta starts the game at centre back again.

Mendieta goes up for an early Napoli corner and sees his header cleared off the line by the man on the post.

Mendieta wins a 50/50 ball in midfield before then launching a Napoli attack. The ball is crossed into the centre where it is tapped in at the back post. 1-0.

Napoli continue to the dominate for the rest of the half but can’t get that second goal.

HT: Napoli 1 v 0 Catania

After 52 minutes Napoli get that vital second goal, with the Chilean Chamagol being fed through to score his second of the game. 2-0.

Napoli win a penalty after 70 minutes for a handball. Converted powerfully, 3-0.

Mendieta moves to left back as Napoli go to a 4-4-2 formation.

FT: Napoli 3 v 0 Catania

Match Overview

Napoli Player Stats

Week ending Sunday 12th December 2009

There as been a sudden surge of interest in Habib Halali. He is wanted by Middlesbrough, Wigan and Porto and Aston Villa have made a £1.3m bid for him. The Chesterfield board have gone over the manager’s head by accepting the Aston Villa bid.

Dumats is out for 2 weeks with a pulled hamstring.

Great news for Marcus Cook as after being out for 8 months with a cruciate knee ligament injury, he has returned to full training. \o/

The UEFA Cup Group Stages have been completed:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Group C Group D Group E

Q. Chelsea +2 8 Q. Fenerbahce +5 9 Q. FC Twente +3 10

Q. Dortmund +1 7 Q. Lyon +3 9 Q. Schalke +2 5

Q. Athletico +1 5 Q. Real Sociedad -3 4 Q. Watford 0 5

-------------------- ----------------------------- --------------------------

4. Napoli 0 5 4. Hearts -3 4 4. Steaua Bucharest 0 4

5. Portsmouth -4 1 5. Zenit St Petersburg -2 2 5. Grasshopper -5 2

Group F

Q. Marseille +4 10

Q. AC Milan +7 9

Q. Athletic Bilbao 0 5

-------------------------

4. Kayserispor -4 2

5. Sparta Prague -7 1

</pre>

Arsenal have won the World Club Championship, after beating Chivas (Club Guadalajara) 1-0 in the final.

Arsenal and Chivas had both qualified for the final after winning their Semi Finals on penalties.

Watford to advance in the UEFA, woo hoo, didnt do much to do so but we still live to fight another day, time to step up the defense and see what we can do.

KUTGW WW, this is way too much fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slater:

im back now. the world cup for us looks likeit could be succesful but for the teams in group c its going to be tough! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And lets not forget... if Kyrgyzstan qualify from Group D then they will have to face one of those Group C teams, but thats still a long way away yet.

Apologies for the lack of updates this weekend, been busy with other stuff. More updates in the next couple of days. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Apologies for the lack of updates this weekend, been busy with other stuff. More updates in the next couple of days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem icon14.gif

Player Cam Match Report

Weds 16th Dec: Parma (19th) v (16th) Napoli – League Match

Mendieta starts as one of the three centre back again.

Fairly even start, just a lack of shots on target.

Mendieta goes close with a header from a corner.

Napoli take the lead after 28 minutes, Bucchi heading home at the far post after a cross from the right. 0-1.

Mendieta makes a couple of timely clearances in the closing moments of the half.

HT: Parma 0 v 1 Napoli

Half Time Stats

Mendieta lets his man get past him, but the Napoli keeper saves well.

Later in the half, a missed interception by Mendieta lets in a Parma striker, but again the keeper saves his blushes.

FT: Parma 0 v 1 Napoli

Full Time Stats

A poor match, but a win nonetheless.

Player Cam Match Report

Sun 20th Dec: Fiorentina (3rd) v (13th) Napoli – League Match

Mendieta starts in the last round of matches in Serie A before their Xmas break.

Chamagol misses fails in his headed clearance and Fiorentina score from the corner after just 4 minutes. 1-0.

Napoli spurn a chance to get a quick equaliser, Dagoberto blasting over from just 10 yards out.

Luca Toni heads in a cross from the left after 18 minutes to double the lead for Fiorentina. 2-0.

It gets worse for Napoli went Jose Mari is sent off after 25 minutes for a shove.

HT: Fiorentina 2 v 0 Napoli

Half Time Stats

Mendieta is subbed after 52 minutes.

FT: Fiorentina 2 v 0 Napoli

Full Time Player Stats

Week ending Sunday 20th December 2009

Chesterfield have accepted the £1.3m bid from Wigan and Middlesbrough for Halali. However, he accepts the offer from Aston Villa and will move to them on January 1st.

Lui has rejected another contract from Qingdao, with his deal set to expire on the 31st.

Selim Atas has been rewarded for his fine recent form (as well as his persistent moaning about moving, let that be a lesson to you all icon_wink.gif) with a new 5 year contract worth £11m, which works out at £37,000pw – nice!

Week ending Sunday 3rd January 2010

Happy New Year everyone - lets hope 2010 is a successful one!

Player Cam this month will follow… Hermandinho at AC Milan (as well as the other there).

Samaras Taraldo has agreed with his boss about his recent good form.

Habib Halali has transferred to Aston Villa for £1.3m, signing a contract until June 2013.

Luke Swinson has signed a new deal with Chelsea that will last until June 2014. He still remains on loan at Villa until the end of the season.

Prof Frink is out for 6 days to 4 weeks (nice to see the physio being specific! icon_rolleyes.gif) with a thigh strain.

Roberto Mancini has been appointed the manager of Liverpool. Liverpool had been without a manager since the start of the season. Inter Milan are now searching for a new manager.

One month after winning the ‘World Player of the Year 2009’ award, Selim Atas is the runner up for the ‘World Footballer of the Year 2009' award. The winner was Thierry Henry.

Selim Atas has won the ‘Young Asian Player of the Year’ Award for the third year running. What is interesting (and slightly farcical) is that he can win and be runner up in the World Awards, yet in the Asian Player of the Year Awards, he doesn’t even make the top three! icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Recky_D:

are my starts comming from the reserve team or first team

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty sure its for Castilla, their reserve / youth team. Casillas hasn't been injured yet this season.

Player Cam Match Report

Sat 9th Jan: Piacenza (19th) v (4th) AC Milan – League Match

Hermandinho starts the match at centre back in a 3-5-2 system. Mick Bubble is on the bench.

Gilardino misses 2 golden opportunities to score. He has 2 shots from 6 yards out, one straight after another, but on both times the Piacenza keeper makes miracle saves.

Milan dominate the first half but can’t find a way through.

HT: Piacenza 0 v 0 AC Milan

Half Time Stats

Piacenza take a shock lead after 70 minutes, their striker glancing a header into the net. 1-0.

Milan pile on the pressure in the last 20 minutes, but in fact Piacenza looked the most likeliest to score on the counter attack.

FT: Piacenza 1 v 0 AC Milan

Full Time Stats

Player Cam Match Report

Sun 17th Jan: AC Milan (6th) v (11th) Catania – League Match

Hermandinho has gone from starting to not even in the match day squad for this game. Bubble is on the bench.

Catania take the lead after 42 minutes when a miscued cross from the right ends up floating into the far corner of the net. Freak goal, but they all count, 0-1.

HT: AC Milan 0 v 1 Catania

Gilberto Silva is shown a straight red card for AC Milan after an hour for a two footed hack on an opponent.

The rest of the game is fairly even, as AC Milan attack but being a man down makes it very difficult for them.

FT: AC Milan 0 v 1 Catania

After 2 defeats in a row, AC Milan are now 11 points off the top spot.

Week ending Sunday 17th January 2010

George Robson has bruised his shin and will be out for a week.

Libertinho has twisted his ankle and will be out for a month.

Alvaro De Santiago has damaged his foot and will be out for a week. On a better note, he signs a new contract until June 2012 with Inter Milan.

Lui has decided to leave Qingdao and is now a free agent. However, Shanghai Shenhua moved quickly to offer him a contract. He agreed terms and has signed a 3 year deal with the club in the Chinese Premier League. The Shenhua manager has said he is delighted to capture his signature and is sure he will be a star for the club.

He remains the only player from either squad to playing outside of Europe (just my luck!).

The Asian Nations Cup 2011 Preliminary Qualifying Groups have been announced. Thankfully, as both teams have excelled in the last few months neither are required to play in this round. Their Asian Cup campaign will start in October 2010 when the main qualifying stage gets underway.

The World Rankings for January have been announced:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Kyrgyzstan 30th (940 points) Up 2 places

Turkmenistan 32nd (926 points) Down 1 place

</pre>

So Kyrgyzstan have leaped ahead of Turkmenistan, the first time Kyrgyzstan have been the best placed ‘stan’ nation in the World.

For the record, Uzbekistan are the 3rd best placed ‘stan’ nation, back in 88th position, so I think its fair to say Kyrgyzstan and Turkmenistan will be the best two ‘stan’ nations for at least the next decade.

Once both nations are both in the top 27, I will produce a screenshot of the top nations (so probably after the World Cup). Currently Argentina are No.1, followed by England, Brazil, Germany and France. Current World Champions Italy are in 7th place.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taunton:

The Milan manager doesn't have a clue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye, the formation they are playing isn't suited to Koppers. However, I think you may be learning a new position as I noticed that you are now classed as 'awkward' for playing left wingback, whereas before you didn't have that position at all.

Player Cam Match Report

Sat 23rd Jan: AC Milan (6th) v (17th) Napoli – League Match

Hermandinho starts for AC Milan, with Mick Bubble on the bench. Turkus Mendieta starts the match for Napoli as well.

AC Milan start the stronger with the Napoli keeper constantly having to make saves.

Milan continue in the ascendancy, failure to score is almost an embarrassment.

HT: AC Milan 0 v 0 Napoli

More of the same at the start of the second half. Then after 63 minutes, AC Milan win a corner. From the left Daniel Carvalho crosses it to the back post, where Hermandinho is hovering, poised to show his strikers how to blooming finish. 1-0.

Its opened a door that can’t be closed, Borowski scores a 30 yard belter after 69 minutes. 2-0.

In injury time Mick Bubble comes on for a very token appearance.

FT: AC Milan 2 v 0 Napoli

Hermandinho finishes with an 8, Turkus Mendieta finishes with a 7 rating and Mick Bubble unsurprisingly get a 6 for his 30 second adventure. I have screenshots for the game, which I will put up later on (don't have them to hand at the moment).

Week ending Sunday 24th January 2010

The defeat by AC Milan was the last straw for the Napoli board and they have sacked their manager. Favourite to take the job is newly retired, Italian legend Fabio Cannavaro.

Alan has signed a new 3 year contract worth £4m, which works out at a nice £21,500pw.

Note:

I was exploring the finer details of FM last night and I made an interesting discovery. At the start of the game, I could not take over Kyrgyzstan and Turkmenistan even though I loaded all players from those nations. Out of interest I decided to see if I added a new manager to the game at this point whether I could play as either nation. Much to my surprise I found that both countries have now become playable teams in FM!

(some of you probably already knew this, but I've never seen that before in all the years I've been playing FM/CM).

Archived