Dont whine and complain about the beta.

Why are so many people on here going nuts. saying things like "I will never reorder again" "I will cancel my order unless this is fixed"

Its a BETA version!! You have pre ordered the game. And you have the privilege of being able to play a version of it 2 weeks before the game is released. Not only that, but you also have the option of helping SI out with finding bugs highlighting areas that need improving / looking at. Which means that everyone will get a better product faster and in less updates than any year before.

No one is forcing you to play the game now. But posting unhelpful whiny rubbish is just wasting your own time.

If you cant be bothered to help make the game better. Don't play the BETA!

Simple really :)

I think using the word "BETA" to describe the pre-ordered version of FM13 was a work of genius by whoever came up with it.

Because it allows the defence of "this is a beta, what did you expect?" to be used.

Let us all be serious here for a moment. This isn't a BETA in anything but name. Real BETA versions aren't opened up two weeks before general retail release. With two weeks to go before release the BETA should be signed, sealed and delivered with all of the kinks it revealed ironed out and the only work left to be done some polishing, minor changes and a general sense of satisfaction that the hard work... at least for now... is done. As I understand that it's already been admitted that the "real" BETA went on long before this pre-release bonus. This "BETA" wasn't some revolutionary step by Sports Interactive to start "crowdtesting" games before release... it was a nice pre-order bonus that many of us enjoyed. And that's why people are "whining and complaining".

Because some of the issues are so obvious that the real BETA should have picked them up immediately.

We all expect there to be mistakes, bugs and exploits in Football Manager games, even on release. Partly this is a result of past experiences and partly this is a result of us acknowledging the scale of the game means it is a lot harder to check every little detail. If there is a game-breaking bug related to the Slovakian second division or any other (and I mean this term with no disrespect) other lesser leagues I think most people would be understanding; it's a fairly obscure league that relatively few people will play and for that reason will receive less attention than the more major leagues. But what people struggle to understand is if a similar crops up in one of the major leagues... one of the ones that should have been playtested to death. Look at the bugs in the Spanish league in previous versions... people were rightfully shocked that in a division where it had to be assumed that a lot of players would want to manage a club such a simple issue slipped through. It should have been readily apparent for anyone who'd played a half-dozen games there.

Readily apparent.

That's the issue.

Take the most mentioned complaint about the "BETA"; unmarked headers on the back post combined with general sloppy defending and a lack of tackles. This wasn't some obscure issue that only arose in very specific circumstances. This is something that comes up in almost every single game, even if those far post finishes don't always result in goals. It only takes watching the key highlights for a half-dozen games for it to become apparent that there's really an issue here, that defenders aren't picking up their man, that goalkeepers aren't claiming the ball, that fullbacks aren't tackling as players run down the wing and cross in etc etc. It was at that stage that the issue should have been noticed and steps taken to remove it. It's so obvious that it seems impossible that it can have been missed. Which leaves us with two equally awkward possibilities:

• That with two weeks to go before retail release this entire situation had been completely missed by (either incompetent or non-existent) testers. The fact that when comments on this first arose the reaction was to ask for uploads of matches as opposed to noting that it was a problem they were aware of and were working to fix suggests that this might be the case but I don't put any particular weight on it.
  • That this issue was known about but nothing was done to tell people. A lot of goodwill could have been earned by putting a message along the lines of "Please be aware this is a pre-release version and there are a number of known issues including ### ### ### and ###. We are in process of correcting them for general release" or some such wording.

Because let us stress again, this isn't really a BETA. Even in a world of digital distribution and Day 1 Patches where corrections to a game can be made a lot later then used to be the case a real BETA doesn't open two weeks before retail release. By that time the work should be done.

That's not to say I in any way resent purchasing he BETA. Even with the flaws (and there are many) it is still an enjoyable experience and if it is the case that Sports Interactive were completely unaware of them prior to this pre-order bonus then it's a damn good job people noticed and were critical. But acting as if a build that comes out two weeks before retail release is the same as the sort of unstable builds that normally constitute a BETA and as such should be given the same sort of leniency is, to steal an Americanism, simply drinking the kool-aid.

Excellent post consortium. This is my first time buying the game and the gameplay errors and slow runtime are such devastating flaws (and ones that should never be in a widely distributed version of a game seeing as they are two of the most immediate and integral parts of the game) that I haven't opened it since the first few days. If there is not massive improvement by release date I will ask for my money back. I'm so disappointed bc of the race reviews for previous editions

the beta is getting some great results.

wingers getting marked better, defenders positioning better, and keeper better at handling.

I for one think this will make things ready for the game , when it is released.

remember that we are playing the beta!!!

we could have gotten the game in november, but so much great input has been given , and loads of bugs are being removed.

do like I do ...dont bother until the 3rd patch comes out some time in february

wish SI (WHO PROVIDE THE BEST GAME OUT THERE BY MILES!) would stop trying to rush getting the game out until its fully tested, wouldn't mind if it wasn't until after xmas but I can understand why they do release it for obvious reasons

Why are so many people on here going nuts. saying things like "I will never reorder again" "I will cancel my order unless this is fixed"

Its a BETA version!! You have pre ordered the game. And you have the privilege of being able to play a version of it 2 weeks before the game is released. Not only that, but you also have the option of helping SI out with finding bugs highlighting areas that need improving / looking at. Which means that everyone will get a better product faster and in less updates than any year before.

No one is forcing you to play the game now. But posting unhelpful whiny rubbish is just wasting your own time.

If you cant be bothered to help make the game better. Don't play the BETA!

Simple really :)

So you think SI encourages us to upload examples of bugs 2 weeks before launch if they arent there in the final version? We have every right to complain. In my opinion (I have gotten every FM and CM on release day since the very first) this year will be the first time they release a broken game, and I am so sad about it.

If you play ultra def 442 with long balls and wingers hugging touchline and I play a wild attacking 442 short passing with wingers to cut inside, we are using the same tactics mate, all according to the matchengine.

Consortium is exactly right -- you do not release a "beta" two weeks before you release (maybe a release candidate, but not a beta). While it's great that people are willing to help spot bugs, I personally don't consider being part of an extended QA team a "privilege" when I am paying for a product. But I respect the fact that many people do.

I don't play pre-release games anymore, because it's too easy to become invested in a save only to realize that your time was ill-spent because of some show-stopping bug. So you can't really approach a pre-release game as a player, but more as a tester looking for problems in a flawed piece of software. That isn't really fun for me.

I don't really see what people's probems are... It was always called a Beta, and a Beta implies less than a fully finished game, which in turn implies certain bugs. Granted, it's probably more bug ridden that anyone would have liked (SI included - and I'm currently not playing matches until the patch is released), but we all CHOSE to receive the game weeks earlier than we otherwise would have. FM games usually require a few patches to get in perfect condition, but I hope this years version will reach that stage earlier.

Anyway... you're either going to agree or disagree so I'm actually not sure why I bothered :rolleyes:

Well known fact from my experience is that game is unplayable until last patch (february). But I'm asking you why we have to bother with half-finished products and why we have to do testers job?

It's ok if they release free beta version in august for example if they want to gather feedback and polish game....but game in this state 2 weeks before final release??? Not good! Every year same old story, even same old bugs...like they are making game from start. So every year player has 6 months of quality playing.

Archived