FM 2013: Manchester United Team Guide : Who needs Batman when we have Robin!

matty2323

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, I have just got to the end of the January transfer window in my 1st season on my United save and here is my progress so far:

Transfers

The policy I had adopted at the start has been retained with no players joining the club and young players going out on loan to gain much need experience:

manutdwintertransferwin.jpg

Season Results

manchesterunitedresults.jpg

manchesterunitedresults.jpg

Here is my best result by far this season, Rooney and Chicharito were on fire:

manutdvtottenhampremier.jpg

Squad Progress

The squad has been mostly injury-free, especially the full-backs and wingers. Valencia has been my most impressive and productive player so far this season, being the top scorer outside the strikers. At the other end of the pitch, Vidic has been a beast in his limited appearances as he has succumbed to injury at the moment and Carrick-Fletcher midfield combination has been fantastic. I would like the likes of van Persie and Rooney to score more goals but hopefully that will come in the business half of the season:

manchesterunitedendofwi.jpg

manchesterunitedendofwi.jpg

Competition Progress

Premier League

The players had a very good unbeaten start to the season, including 7 wins in a row until the first defeat in December at Everton. Another defeat followed soon after at Wigan to complete a sticky festive month as Tottenham were breathing down our necks with a couple of games in hand on us. But January saw a welcome return to form as the players destroyed Spurs at Old Trafford to give us breathing space on the goal difference. Man City had a poor start in comparison and although they have recovered recently, they are too far behind to really defend their title. West Brom and Fulham are both having great season with the former in the 4th Champions League spot at the moment. Reading are really struggling at the wrong end of the table while the other two promoted sides, West Ham and Southampton, are battling in mid-table:

englishpremierdivisione.jpg

Champions League

In the group stages, the players started with a narrow reverse in Amsterdam before notching 4 victories in succession including a destruction of Ajax at Old Trafford. A goalless draw in Moscow helped the players qualify in top spot. The draw for the 1st Knockout Round sees us play Galatasaray, with the first leg in Turkey:

europeanchampionscupend.jpg

FA Cup

So far, the players have won at Tranmere in the dying seconds before winning a thriller with Leicester at Old Trafford. They have progressed to the 5th Round, where West Ham await at Old Trafford.

Capital One Cup

The players started this competition by destroying Arsenal at Old Trafford before edging out high-flying Fulham in a Craven Cottage thriller. The journey did end however in a surprise defeat at Championship side Wolves:

wolvesvmanutdcapitalone.jpg

So what do you think of my 1st season so far? Is there any position that could have been strengthened in January or is this squad capable of going on and challenge for the treble at the end of the season?

Thanks in advance for your suggesions and feedback

Find a backup / replacement for Evra. Büttner didn't good enough and Fabio need more time. Beside I use Fabio as backup for Raphael.

Also Carrick is quite old, better prepare a replacement for him also. Winger and Striker is okay, but I prefer to sell RvP (age,wage and injury prone) and either use the young striker (Hernandez, Wellbeck, Henriquez, Macheda) or bring in a new striker. From the Adryan price I assume you using the old database? Try check Llorente (normally free transfer).

Don't forget to check the regen. In my save Soton and Juventus are the best bet (Soton have three 4* player and Juve have one 4* player and two 4,5* player)

Alaba is grat backup, or shaw if you can get him

Fabio has some great attacking PPM's so worth keeping, no reason he cant play and develop while playing.

so, after that 11-0 win in preseason, what better way to start the community shield then to reward that entire starting 11 then to play that game.

something about my team this season, seems, better, Pjanic is getting forward more, Alaba is keeping Neymar out of winger position with his performances

9AF92EF41B338A4EED01CA3AC6A1453DCA73DC3C

they won :D

and had this annoying match, Celtic park the bus and score from 2 set pieces and a through ball.

8867EC678B037BFCD9C11E3966AA699D2FAA11C8

Alaba scored from a direct free kick, quite close in as well

5E4D321273172717FA82F38F8F2E00F622C3F0B9

what is he smoking? lol not sure a new contract is justified.... 8.62 rating

0BF7C237B1368BD4F4CED0BE002FDFF2EBA642BE

only 1-0, smashed them :(

How are you all having so much success? I'm in my 4th season so far and all we've managed to win is the league and capital one cup. We're a million miles away from the top sides in Europe. I just can't seem to get anything right tactically on FM13, been searching for a working tactic for 4 seasons and no luck :(

doesnt help when the game is constantly trying to ruin your morale though.

74ED940979868668562A2CD41FC690D5F9B5BE37

just what? how?

players get angry at teamtalks about getting away with it after scraping a 1-0, players moral DROPS after so called moral boosting form chats

2F580F8EC4BBECECE579E600070C5E7591E99B1E

forgot to post him before, he is developing nicely under Evras wing

A88B9724242097E049D23174B9D4B244CAE03E64

rediculous fixture time for this, squashed between a tuesday match and a saturday

Beckham scored a 25 yard screamer :D

F8E127F88B959F3CF2D62F3FE3A185E812A7E77C

Jones picked up a 2nd yellow, neymar got the ball near the end dribbled past 2 and scored... only took a season from him to do that

0CC30C822FB9E95FD095A827BDEFD35DFAB54F80

and international break of 2 weeks allows this to be a perfect league table update point.

Evra struggling with homesickness is pretty ridiculous. Never seen that in my save luckily.

Happened in mine too in the 3rd season - think it was triggered mainly due to him disliking one of my teamtalks. Did think it was strange though - thankfully after giving him some time away he came back and isn't complaining again.

Hows Neymar settled in?

He's been excellent. Had to shoulder alot more responsibility than I wanted because of Welbeck and Robin van Persie picking up injuries at different points. Welbeck for example has only managed 14 appearances, whereas RVP has managed just 32, (25 starts), from a possible 52.

Delighted with his return of 30 goals and 10 assists from 40 apps thus far. :thup:

He's been excellent. Had to shoulder alot more responsibility than I wanted because of Welbeck and Robin van Persie picking up injuries at different points. Welbeck for example has only managed 14 appearances, whereas RVP has managed just 32, (25 starts), from a possible 52.

Delighted with his return of 30 goals and 10 assists from 40 apps thus far. :thup:

Managed to get Neymar myself and he's got similar stats for me too and is rarely injured, (saying that may well jinx him though)

Managed to get him for £29.5million with a 35% profit sell on clause. T'was a great deal.

That is a good deal. I bought him a few years in for about £40 million. Don't usually like spending that much but sold Nani for about £33 million in the same window so wasn't a big loss over all.

That is a good deal. I bought him a few years in for about £40 million. Don't usually like spending that much but sold Nani for about £33 million in the same window so wasn't a big loss over all.

Sometimes you just get lucky with a deal. He was listed for £34million and after some to-ing and thro-ing I got them down after getting tired of things and ended up stipulating that the deal was non-negotiable.

Thankfully, they accepted.

got given £31m transfer funds from nowhere at the start of Novemeber, should help me sign up those newgens I was eyeing up.

5FAD69EED620C8EA63D43409312EE40F5570A025

Reserves doing well, couple of those newgens scoring :D

and in other news Alaba out for 2 months with a broken ankle, not too bad in terms of Left Back, got loads of those, but could be problematic with Right midfield/wing? why right?

8C503E244D155F27C32529F20853A241EF941867

you can see the pattern here, Alaba gets injured while playing LEFT midfield, having none of those on the bench, I swapped Pjanic over to left, bringing on Valencia, Pjanic instantly creates an assit for Rooney, before scoring one himself a few minutes later all from work on that side. so Left midfield is sorted.

now the problem with the Right midfield is it isn't well stocked. I only have Pjanic and Valencia playing there, I pulled off a masterstroke in terms of Zaha, in loaning him to spurs for the season for 400k a month, he gets games (and therfore development), I get money win, win :D this was at the start of the season, he is doing well there so definatly be there next season.

so now, i sit back and see what happens in terms of the midfield, as I know Pjanic will still be playing there, but if Kagawa gets injured LFM will only have 2 available players (Neymar and Kagawa).

Had a sesh on FM yesterday with my Manchester United save, winning the Club World Cup. But after the most ridiculous injuries crisis I've ever had, losing Rafael, Evra, Vidic, Falcao, Rooney, RVP and Henriquez for over 3 months, I've stumbled somewhat.

I'm in March now, and having got through that period, despite being knocked out of the FA Cup 5th round at Burnley, I've scraped through the Champions League against FC Porto 1-1 (winning on pens), and against Juventus, in two epic games; losing 3-2 in Juventus (3-0 down, but scored two away goals late on), and winning 4-2 at Old Trafford and my lead at the top has been withered down to just 3 points. The title run in is going to be close, but all the big players are now returning :)

In January, after Lindegaard moaning for months, he requested a transfer, I replaced him with Fraser Forster for £5m, since then no one wanted Lindegaard, and he asked to stay, to which I rejected, now he plays reserve football and does not play for Denmark :D: And I occasionally fine him for the crack :D I'm going to miss our chats when he's gone :D

I also decided to spend £7m on a DMC 15-year-old regen.

:)

Season    League                 League Finish   FA Cup     League Cup  Europe        Charity Shield     Super Cup    World Club Cup    Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13   Premier League         1st             Winners    Winners     CL Winners    N/A                N/A          N/A               Manager of Year
2013/14   Premier League         -               5th Round  3rd Round   -             Runners Up         Winners      Winners           -

I'm struggling to find a tactic that works away from home. Comfortably beating everyone at Old Trafford but dropping silly points at away games such as Norwich, Stoke...HUDDERSFIELD?! So frustrating.

A bit more infomation is needed before anyone can offer you any help. What formation you play, team instructions, etc.

Also have you looked back at the games you have struggled in to try and figure out why? All the infomation you need will be in the stats and analysis tab.

Jan 2013: sold anderson for 23m and close to sealing Sandro for 35m (Had to beat Man City for his siganture). Hope he is worth it.

Great work on getting £23m for Anderson, how did you manage that!?

I got £1.5m for him.

And on mine, Sandro is class, joined Juventus for £33m.

A bit more infomation is needed before anyone can offer you any help. What formation you play, team instructions, etc.

Also have you looked back at the games you have struggled in to try and figure out why? All the infomation you need will be in the stats and analysis tab.

I've honestly tried every playing style and formation out there and NOTHING works. I've got a squad consisting of the likes of Fellaini, Gotze, Pjanic, Zouma and the first two games of season 5 are as follows:

Reading 2-1 United

United 1-2 Southampton

I've never known anything so ridiculous in all my years of playing this game. Against Southampton I switched to an attacking mentality after they went in front and we had ONE shot in 40 minutes. Absolutely bizarre.

On my united save I am playing a 4-4-2 with rooney and RVP up top. We are creating plenty of chances but can't seem to convert them, be it saves from the goalie or off-target. (these are all good chances, not 30 yard shots). Can anyone suggest how i can improve my conversion rate? I already have rene mulensteen concentrating on finishing in training at 4.5 stars. Thks

I've honestly tried every playing style and formation out there and NOTHING works. I've got a squad consisting of the likes of Fellaini, Gotze, Pjanic, Zouma and the first two games of season 5 are as follows:

Reading 2-1 United

United 1-2 Southampton

I've never known anything so ridiculous in all my years of playing this game. Against Southampton I switched to an attacking mentality after they went in front and we had ONE shot in 40 minutes. Absolutely bizarre.

Well the majority of other people aren't having the same struggles as you, so it must be somethimg you are doing. Like I said, until you actually give any details then it's going to be very hard for anyone to help you.

I must point out that constantly switching formations and tactics isn't going to help, so there's one problem you've got right there.

Great work on getting £23m for Anderson, how did you manage that!?

I played him for half a season :p (whenever fit). Silly Arsenal struggling with injuries of their own made a move for him.

Fellaini and Mkhitaryan were listed for 14m and 7.5m respectively but PSG grabbed both of them.

Corrupt my save file so I force to reload from the latest backup (around January) and just finish my first season. Win the league with only 1 lost and 3 draw. Win the FA easily (the only hard opponent is Chelsea in semi, the rest are championship or league 1 teams). Win the CL with penalty against Real Madrid.

For the player transfer:

In :

Fellaini *

Bale *

Sandro *

Gotze *

Isco *

Wellington Nem

Ademilson

Adryan

Sergi gomez

Zakaria Bakkali

Timo Werner

Jadson

Alaba *

Luke Shaw

Player with * are the one I plan to keep, player without star is undecided. Will sell some of them and keep some. All player with * have score for me (even Alaba)

Out :

Young

Nani

Wellbeck

Valencia

Anderson

Loan:

Buttner

Macheda

Bakkali

Timo Werner

Henriquez

Others (a lot of others)

Next season transfer plan:

Budget : 20M

Wage budget 1,5 M (lower then previous season)

Since I have lower wage budget that mean I will sell some high wage player and replace them with lower wage player

Player out:

RvP -> injuries prone, aging(although still useful) and high wage

Ferdinand -> injuries prone and high wage

Hernandez or Henriquez ->Probably Hernandez since he have higher wage

Evra -> aging + high wage + already have good replacement in Alaba, Fabio, Shaw

Buttner -> not good enough for first squad. Will either sell or loan him

Lindegard -> I got a good regen keeper and he keep asking for playing time. I try to play him but 70-80% he make a huge mistakes. 40-50% times when he make the mistake cost me a goal

Player to keep:

Scholes -> good tutor and I manage to get his wage down to almost 50%

Giggs ->good tutor and I manage to get his wage down to almost 50%

Both have contract as player/coach

Player in:

Llorente -> Free transfer and a great replacement for RvP with "only" 80k wage (compared to RvP 180k)

Gabriel -> Free transfer and low wage(forgot how much), will play him several times and then sell him

Rivaldo -> Free transfer + good tutor with only 5k wage

massimo ambrosini -> Free transfer + good tutor with 9k wage (a little high but he and Rivaldo are the only two good tutor I can find for free)

Undecided:

Destro -> Free transfer but asking around 44k-50k wage(his current is 40k). I don't have long plan for him, only interested since will get him for free and probably get a decent amount of money for him

Looking for :

A good tutor for my GK (I have good Regen with 4,5*)

A good DR backup -> still considering this. I have the twins + Jones and Smalling to cover this area but aside of Rafael (haven't play Fabio yet) the others are not to good on helping the attack (solid defend from Jones and Smalling).

Question :

I have kyriakos papadopoulos listed, Will probably got him for 8-10M. but with Vidic, Jones, Evans,Smalling I think I have enough to cover the CB. Do I sell one of the CB and get him? If so who must I sell? Or do I buy him without selling considering Vidic is 32 y/o already

The Bayern thread is dead in the water so thinking about coming back to United... Seems a lot sell Nani, Young and Valencia off the bat. Are you able to replace these players sufficiently? Do the finances become a real issue in the latter seasons?

The Bayern thread is dead in the water so thinking about coming back to United... Seems a lot sell Nani, Young and Valencia off the bat. Are you able to replace these players sufficiently? Do the finances become a real issue in the latter seasons?

I personally didn't sell any of them straight away, and coming into season three I've just let Valencia go as we couldn't agree on a contract extension which only had a year left to run. Got £28million, (in one payment), off PSG for him after a couple of good seasons.

Young has been great at ML, Winger-Support. And Nani has been at times spectacular at RM, Wide Midfielder-Attack. But then again you might not be playing with wide midfieldrrs and instead going for AML/R, so what i said may be irrelevant to you!!

As for finances, mine are in great condition, but that'll be because I don't go in for all the over-the-top spending that most other users do.

Well I used the first database so if you play the new patch thing probably will be different. I sold Nani and Young since I don't like them IRL and Young for Bale + Nani for Gotze is not a bad exchange I think.

Beside I won't buying any big name after this and focus on the youngster, probably will only hire the big name as tutor or free agent.

Anybody have a list of good old player that can be hired cheaply as tutor for the youngster?

Thanks for the replies. I'll fire up a game tonight then.

Typically I play a 4-3-3 but not sure that's going to be good for United. I'll have to have a look when I get home. Welbeck and Valencia were outstanding on the Demo.

Did anyone start as Sunday League football as past experience or all come in as internationals?

Thanks for the replies. I'll fire up a game tonight then.

Typically I play a 4-3-3 but not sure that's going to be good for United. I'll have to have a look when I get home. Welbeck and Valencia were outstanding on the Demo.

Did anyone start as Sunday League football as past experience or all come in as internationals?

Welbeck still is superb. And despite a slight downgrade, Valencia did very well for me. As I said, I wouldn't have got rid of him, but his contract demands were unreasonable.

I started just as a former professional. :thup:

Wayne Rooney a monster for me this season, goals to game ratio of 1:1

including some goals in this one :D

3D824EB65F3D8A72FA162D46B2BE310D4F25FC13

january reached

B277447311F3C37C14CCBA68F9C7355ED22B2C6F

dont ask about wigan... I dunno either :p

now for signings

9DB7DED52193B47C23643FBB48B535D5CF5DE6E9

00609F9E5CECE061593911EE291FAFF09C8423D7

Evras idea, Solid defender when i used him in the league cup.

7E8BFC851FB81FD59C691A9468A80DC71CCB59A5

this guy looks special, and he cost me a total of £0

D3EC39706770DBC31FE94B05EB1151441FF61983

found a croatian LB to go with my RB

1DD3E8F4FDFEA21764C33A656AB9A5C92A901C7F

this guy currently shares very similar stats to Cleverley

Archived