FM 2013: Manchester United Team Guide : Who needs Batman when we have Robin!

matty2323

Something must have materially changed as form shouldn't capitulate like that.

1. Are you playing the same as during your second season? If so, what is your tactical set up?

2. Any major player changes?

3. What was your tactical familiarity like at the start of the season?

4. Were your early fixtures harder than previous seasons?

5. Are teams playing more cautiously against you in view of your performances over the past two seasons?

The only signing I made in pre season was Rafinha from Barca.

I play a 4-1-2-2-1 system and play on the counter. I also have a 4-4-1-1 backup.

My tactical familiarity was full for everything, infact I won all my friendlies by 4 goals, including sticking 7 past Juventus.

I've played city, Chelsea and Arsenal in my first 10 games. I beat city, drew with Chelsea and Arsenal, but I lost to Derby, Spurs and Reading.

I've had a look and the standard I have been struggling against is a simple 4-4-2 (played by Arsenal, Spurs, Derby and Norwich).

My team talks dont seem to be having the desired effect anymore, so I might have to change them a bit. Also where I used to score I am now hitting the post or having the shots go over narrowly.

I might go back to basics and play a balanced 4-4-2 as that has worked in past saves.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This game is so bloody frustrating at times. City lose, I have a chance to go top of the league against bottom of the league Villa, but they beat me for the second time this season 2-1 with just 2 shots compared to my 22. We're just so inconsistent this season. City draw, we draw. City lose, we lose. I've not managed to string any decent results together, and have had disappointing results where we've failed to win against Villa twice, QPR and Norwich.

I could throw my computer out the window sometimes....

Counter, counter, counter.

Loads of shots, no return and then losing against few shots implies that you have been countered to perfection.

Against lesser opposition, it is often best to sit back and counter to draw the opponent out of position, rather than allowing them to do the same to you.

Bloody Arsenal.

Last season they stopped my invincible run in the very last game.

In season two, they stopped my 26 game run of wins in the league with a 1-1 at The Emirates.

At least it's an improvement on a defeat, but I really struggle to know how to play them Away - for your info scott MUFC, I played Counter...

how is it a thought? i can see it happening, away games are always harder, always have been, Home games have been easy, Neutral games are superb watches. it isn't a wrong thought, it is how the game is working.

to say i have wrong thoughts when it is a mix of things that cause the effects, I have to sometimes change tactics for away games, therfore the game behaves differantly away from home.

and nor is it a wrong thought that my counter attacks end in this way, it is what actually happens, and yes I have counter attacking on.

my "wrong" thoughts did not see me have a harder time winning 4-0 away to villa then i would do playing them at home.

players struggle more away, they take more long shots and are more wasteful, what I see is not a thought, it is through these observations I have my current tactic, through fixing the flaws and problems I observe. I can't fix players having a bad game which happens more often away, or the long shots they take when they are trying too hard to score.

Away games are harder then home for me, that is a fact end of, very rare I don't win at home, most losses and draws are away, I do not think this, I see it.

why do you think I got Llorente in? him specifcally, because I found an annoyance in regard to undesireable results due to players not getting on the end of crosses, and as a result of getting him in, results have improved.

seeing a problem then fixing it, there is the thought, and to me i'm getting the right thoughts, because what I do, and who I buy works. if i'm away I increase defenders freedom, shove the line back to normal and play passers of the ball to create.

A story of 2 games.

9/10 this game would be a win to me. no differant to the games I won 4-0.... was a better performace then the away win at villa, don't think i have had 10 shots on targets and NEVER scored before.

30AC3BF928C93F1CC4CFA854CBF3038A5ECBD779

the problem thier keeper saving everything. not something I can control, I cant make him go away

FDE00FF9C53677A7029E0AD71C20D28030A0D587

and a typical away performace, but got the result, 2 out of 2 converted this time.

the main thing is the game is random. the stats are near identical between bost games, the stuff I am looking at in terms of my tactics are similar in both games. (headers won, pass completion, posession) only differance is tackles won, and at home my players intercept more balls anyway.

There's clearly still a near post corner exploit in the game. Is it cheating to use it, or advantageous, considering it's used against me too, albeit unknowingly. What are the thoughts of the pannel?

I personally didn't even know it existed as I have my corners on mixed. I won't be changing as I wouldn't like to erm, cheat.

I personally didn't even know it existed as I have my corners on mixed. I won't be changing as I wouldn't like to erm, cheat.

I'm only assuming so as from this save I've gone near rather than mixed (mainly for a flick) but Vidic has 7 in 23 from corners. Seems too high for me?

Assuming you have the other set to stopper then? As the central defender on defend 'will stay in line with his defensive partner and look to break up attacks, marking opposing forwards and prevent the ball from getting into the box'.

Aye exactly. Vidic/Jones for the 'stopper' role allowing Rio to 'cover' I'd imagine Smalling and Evans could play both roles but I use Smalling as a right back anyway.

Really struggling to control the moral of these players. I seem to always say the wrong things and the players always respond negatively. I don't have anyone on Superb moral, I'm in February and in all the cups, but 6 points off City with 12 games to go -- I'd have thought I might be able to get one of my players happy.

Any ideas?

Really struggling to control the moral of these players. I seem to always say the wrong things and the players always respond negatively. I don't have anyone on Superb moral, I'm in February and in all the cups, but 6 points off City with 12 games to go -- I'd have thought I might be able to get one of my players happy.

Any ideas?

What season are you in ? Most of the time I praise them, I tend to use calm or assertive. Sometimes passionate if it's a game against city or liverpool. I use assertive if I'm not happy with a first half performance or end result. Never get negative feedback but I'm near the end of my 4th season with a world class rep now.

they fixed some heights in a recent patch, might have been that.

I have noticed that the game throws a lot of things at you that effect morale, praises can lower it if they don't a gree, repeative teamtalks, something you say in the media, wrong teamtalks (including by your assistant >.>)

they get annoyed when you say we got lucky, even if they played complete junk and you scrape a 1-0.

What season are you in ? Most of the time I praise them, I tend to use calm or assertive. Sometimes passionate if it's a game against city or liverpool. I use assertive if I'm not happy with a first half performance or end result. Never get negative feedback but I'm near the end of my 4th season with a world class rep now.

1st season. When we were playing well, 15 shots on target but 0-0 I said to keep going out there we're doing well and they all went negative and switched off. I don't get it sometimes.

Why do people get rid of Robin van Persie so quickly? Thirty three and he's still doing it! :cool:

I decided to stick with him this season and not sell in January and he's hit some good form. Joint top scorer with Hernandez.

Just lost 3-0 to Stoke. Michael Owen getting a hattrick from Stokes three only shots all game. I'm beginning to sound like some of the people in GD, but what is it with the disallowed goals? I swear I have one most games. My conversion ratio must be the lowest in the league because I always get 15+ shots a game and lose/draw against teams like Stoke and Norwich from their one shot. It's ******* me off now.

I hate to say this one but; it's your tactics. Honestly.

I know it is. But previously where it would be less obvious, this year it just seems an uphill struggle. With Bayern I went on a 74 game unbeaten run, winning everything. Switch to United and I cannot even beat Villa or Stoke. My players are a bunch of miserable prima-donas. I'm using the same tactics I've imported as Bayern and United have similar players, and I know they wont swap like for like, but it's like we're an amateur side. I've followed all the guides etc. Have players on attack, support and defend where we're told. I don't touch the sliders as we're told.

I think I'm just going to get to the end of the season, get rid of all the players that have annoyed me this year: Young, Nani, Valencia, Welbeck, Carrick, Fletcher. And start with a new team.

I've noticed as soon as moral gets down to okay, you can kiss your season goodbye. The same happened at Bayern. One unfortunate result killed moral and it was a downward spiral. Same has happened here. Lost to Villa, players got angry with me shouting at them. It's got steadily lower, some on abismal. Highest moral is 'fairly good'. I've a cup final v City now. I'm going to get SMASHED!

So you're using a tactic/way of playing that was succesful in one countries league with one set of players, and you're more or less automatically expecting that it will work in another country with a different set of players?

Interesting way of going about things.

So you're using a tactic/way of playing that was succesful in one countries league with one set of players, and you're more or less automatically expecting that it will work in another country with a different set of players?

Interesting way of going about things.

No, I've changed it to suit United more, but only ever so slightly, but like for like, the players are very similar. They have quick wingers and IFs (Shaqiri, Robben, Ribery / Young, Nani, Valencia). They have good ball playing midfielders, strong attackers, good defenders and fast full backs. Pretty similar in terms of players. Using the same player roles shouldn't be too disimilar for the players, but a team like United, with the players at my disposal should be able to play in the roles they're given.

For example, Carrick should be able to play as a DLF, Rooney a treq, Van Persie a Poacher, Rafael and Evra as fullbacks on attack/support. The players should be able to play in the roles I've assigned them. A 73 game run says the tactic is solid. And as wwfan tells us, a solid tactic will work across the ME changes. So by the same token it should work across different teams, no? If it's solid enough, I don't understand why it wouldn't...

There's clearly still a near post corner exploit in the game. Is it cheating to use it, or advantageous, considering it's used against me too, albeit unknowingly. What are the thoughts of the pannel?

I don't think it's an exploit, as so far the balance of goals seems to be about right from corners. I do think that near post defending (on all crosses, not just corners) needs work for FM14.

Because style are different from Country. For example, I don't anyone in Germany plays like Stoke......

Well I'm of the belief that a 4-4-1-1 should work in both Germany and England. It worked for Bayern, it should work for United.

That's a formation, not a tactical way of playing. :D

Touche. I thought that as soon as I posted it but you know what I mean... Anyway, I'm just having a moan up. I'm sure I'll be back to loving the game by the end of the season. I'm off to GD to vent.

Touche. I thought that as soon as I posted it but you know what I mean... Anyway, I'm just having a moan up. I'm sure I'll be back to loving the game by the end of the season. I'm off to GD to vent.

You know you could always ask for help in the tactics forum.

Don't take yourself down the level of the likes of scott who just babbles inane rubbish about the game when something doesn't happen the way he wants it to. You're better than that.

You know you could always ask for help in the tactics forum.

Don't take yourself down the level of the likes of scott who just babble inane rubbish about the game when something doesn't happen the way he wants it to. You're better than that.

Ha! A league cup final 2-1 victory over City has papered over the cracks. First cup won.

Is nani worth keeping or should i sell going to begin save tomorrow

Definitely worth keeping.

I've had him for four seasons, (now selling him in summer 2016 as he won't lower his over the top wage demands and his deal only runs until 2017), and he has been excellent. Don't listen to scott's nonsense about lowering Creative Freedom, I just played him at right midfield, Wide Midfielder - Attack. This is what he has done for me in those four seasons;

122 starts (10 sub apps), 35 goals, 33 assists, Avg Rating 7.32.

So to answer again; yes, he's definitely worth keeping.

Well I'm of the belief that a 4-4-1-1 should work in both Germany and England. It worked for Bayern, it should work for United.

4-4-1-1 is a defensive formation remember, no matter how you set up roles/duties its classed as defensive. And it does work in both leagues. Germany has a lot of weak teams in the top tier once you get past Dortmund, Bayern etc. There is only really 3 good clubs the rest are less than average. Compare that with the EPL and there is weak teams but nowhere near as poor team for team as the German Leagues

4-4-1-1 is a defensive formation remember, no matter how you set up roles/duties its classed as defensive. And it does work in both leagues. Germany has a lot of weak teams in the top tier once you get past Dortmund, Bayern etc. There is only really 3 good clubs the rest are less than average. Compare that with the EPL and there is weak teams but nowhere near as poor team for team as the German Leagues

Sure I know it's weaker in Germany. I get the best out of Rooney in the AMC role, so play a 4-4-1-1 as I didn't have much success with a 4-2-3-1 as I couldn't get the solid defence I was after. I've conceded 19 in 28 games which isn't so bad (the 3-0 loss to Stoke was the most I've conceded this season in a single game). The reason I took this formation from a previous save is because it worked so well for me.

I've also finally managed to get RVP singing as I don't want to disrupt that.

Perhaps I'll move Nani and Young up a notch and try a 4-2-3-1 again...

Are there any players you would replace nani with if for example he wanted to leave

Once I increased his long shots, Shaqiri from Bayern was an animal for me. However, if you're annoyed with Nani shooting from Distance, Shaqiri has the same PPM

decent.

early season results are shocking, first 2 4-0's were superb, 0-0 draw away at chelsea and a scraped 0-1 against west ham away.

next match Liverpool at home :D

finally got a work permit for this guy

C670C34E83F1062529FF8E17127BF02B3409A5A1

248D28E4C9E3795FF2FA29FB10342082381B535F

bought him to be my Llorente.. then i got the real one so tutoring him with Llorente, he already learned his PPM's

Archived