[FM11]Deltablue Rising II: Delta's Darlings.

deltablue

Frigg

Winter 2013

The sort of thing that I wouldn’t reject didn’t really materialize, as either it was newly playable clubs, or teams well adrift in Portugal, however I decided to take one of the former in Norway, Frigg (familiar to a couple of people I gather), as being a repromoted side, I felt I’d have more of a chance, having nice budgets and a bit of money (815k balance at the time of accepting the job in January) helped as well. Thankfully the eligibility rules just required there to be 3 non-eu players at most, far more relaxed than higher up. The initial squad was another mixed bag, and more seasoned than the pre-existing Krsko squad or my entirely new (which I still maintain was a necessity, as badly as it failed) young Hogaborg side, which would be a good advantage, so I was confident about avoiding a repeat of either.

Since re-adding a load of the middling and smaller nations that I hadn’t had between 07-09, this would be my 6th visit to Norway in the 4 saves I’ve had on 10/11, the 4th in 3 in this version, making it probably my most common destination, but the first time outside the Premier Division.

Dropping the chaff to the reserves still meant there were many places to be filled to get a big-enough squad, but having experienced 2 extremes of situations regarding potential transfers I had a better middle ground this time as I wasn’t flooded with good potential signings but still had a reasonable selection to choose from. Squad depth issues meant there was a flurry of late signings that gave us a few more newcomers than I’d have liked, but hopefully that wouldn’t upset things too much, 7 new players (and a free from before I arrived) meant that with a few versatile players, I felt I could manage with 19 players without changing things even more. As far as expectations were concerned, while I felt we could be comfortable, survival would make a nice change.

Danielsen

Hakon

Leknes

Lynum

Norevik

Transfers

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck with Frigg dude.
Good luck at Frigg :thup:
Hopefully you fair better with Frigg :thup:
Third time lucky! :)
Good luck at Frigg,hopefully you'll get a positiove break with them.

Cheers guys, definitely on slightly solid ground this time, and started alright, though didn't do that much today as I hoped. Hogaborg only got 9 points in the end, which sort of makes me feel better as a much better showing or even survival would have reflected even worse on me.

Apr/May 2013

Frigg 2-2 Brumenddal (D2)

Almost 3 years had yielded what the game described as ‘quite a career’, though that amounted to 40 games and just 7 wins. We started at home to Brumunddal. They took an early lead, but while they were still the better side,2 goals from Argie forward Petry, the only foreigner in the side, gave us the lead by the time 20 minutes elapsed. They quietened down a bit, but we both remained as much as a threat as each other, and right before the final whistle a spilled shot allowed them to equalize, but while it wasn’t a winning start (having to wait 8-9 games in Slovenia and not getting any at all in Sweden), it was fair and promising.

Skeid 3-1 Frigg (D2)

We were behind ahead at Skeid, and despite not getting many chances, they had a second, after having a goal disallowed, before half-time. We burst out of the blocks in the second half, and Hakon got a goal back just after the hour mark, but they soon got a 3rd. We kept pushing but couldn’t even get another goal back.

Sandar 0-2 Frigg (NC)

We went to non-league Sandar in the cup (who had previously played a side called ‘Fart’). For all our first half pressure, it took near the end of the half for Petry to give us the lead, after we’d missed a penalty. Hakon made things more comfortable with a goal right at the beginning of the second half, though more goals didn’t materialize.

Frigg 2-1 Nest-Sotra (D2)

We were under a lot of pressure in the first half at home to Nest-Sotra, but yet got a 2-0 lead from Hakon setting Petry up, then scoring himself. They got a goal back, which had been near-inevitable for a while, and although things eased off a while, they were still close to getting a point, so it felt great to hold on til the end, especially as in terms of time it was my first league win for 2 years, and half the career so far in terms of matches. It was rather harsh for Nest-Sotra though, and funny when their manager ranted (as they often do) about how we were heading for relegation the way we played, you mean the way we beat your lot 2-1 mate? Never fails to raise a smile when that sort of thing happens.

Moss 2-0 Frigg (D2)

We next went to pre-season favourites Moss, who had a mixed the start. The first half saw us exchange a few chances, though otherwise not a lot happened. They took the lead just after half-time, and were gifted a second goal right at the end but we hadn’t looked that bad.

Valerenga 2 0-3 Frigg (D2)

Another tough trip was to Valerenga reserves, who were top, and with the first team having been a pretty consistent pain throughout my regular times in the country. We coped well with some early pressure before the club’s youngest ever player, Hareide, gave us the lead in the 16th minute. There wasn’t too much of a response, most of that in the second half, and a penalty gave Hareide his second goal of the match, and of his career, and flushed with momentum, winger Kringberg capped a great performance with our 3rd with a couple of minutes left.

Frigg 3-4 Sandefjord (NC)

We hosted Premier Division side Sandefjord in the cup. They were struggling in the league but found it easy to take the lead against us. Despite Petry going off injured, we mounted a strong push late in the first half, and our best player, Andreassen equalized. They regained the lead right before the half-time whistle, and I thought that was that. It wasn’t. Winger Lynum, and Hareide each scored to give us an amazing lead. They fought back hard, and while we held out for a while they eventually equalized, and got a late winner, but after an epic tie like as heavy underdogs that I didn’t mind too much.

League Table

Seems an improvement, however small.
Good start, what you needed :D
Looks like a decent start. Shouldn't become another relegation nightmare.

Good luck in my home country :)

We're not big on consistency at the moment, but for me the only thing that really matters is survival, for a change, whether it's scrappy or comfortable probably won't make a massive difference to the massive lift in my spirits if that happens.

June/July 2013

Frigg 1-2 Follo (D2)

The last game before a long break was at home to Follo. It was probably the first game where I didn’t feel like we were the inferior side, which explained how we played, lots of early dominance but no goals, and then conceding instead. They grabbed another before half-time, and it took a while for us to get back up to speed, which we did midway through the half, missing more chances before Hakon got the goal we’d been threatening throughout the game, only for that to be a consolation.

Frigg 3-3 Raucoss (D2)

Late in July, we returned to action when going to Raufoss, who were now top, yet another tricky away game. They took an early lead, but we were able to fight back with the thankfully inappropriately named Sitter (imagine if football commentators address players a bit more formally, then he’d be.... well you get it) equalizing. They hit us hard early in the second half with 2 goals, but we weren’t defeated yet, and Sitter almost immediately got a goal back, later an own goal levelled it. We played the last 20 minutes with 20 fit men after Lynum went off injured (out for almost a month) but the game was now quiet so we had little difficulty in getting the point.

Frigg 4-0 Herkules (D2)

With what seemed like a few of the tougher games already out of the way, it was nice to have a better-looking home game with bottom side Herkules, who had no points, just a single goal, and had conceded 32 goals in just 7 games. They didn’t give us much trouble, as Landro, in for the injured Lynum, gave us the lead, followed by Hakon extending it. We missed a penalty before half-time but Hakon gave us a 3rd in the second half, and completed his hat-trick in stoppage time.

League Table

Aug 2013

Stabaek 2 3-1 Frigg (D2)

The second of the 2 reserve sides in the division, Stabaek 2 were in the relegation zone, and we went to play them next. A win for them would cut our safety margin from 4 points to 1, making it an extra important one to not lose. Unfortunately it was pretty one sided in their favour. They easily had us on the ropes from the start, though it took until well into the first half for them to score. In the second half we had a massive defensive collapse and they ran up a 3-0 lead before Sitter got a consolation. That left the 2 of us at the top and tail respectively of a pack of 5 sides, from 8th to 12th, separated by just 1 point.

Frigg 1-1 Mjondalen (D2)

We faced more pressure at home to promotion-chasing Mjondalen, with a few chances from us. Hakon gave us a surprise lead, then went off injured. He was joined on the sidelines by Landro and Sitter (leaving us short on fit forwards after the latter), but while it looked like we’d actually hold out, as we hadn’t faced many chances in the second half, they got a late equalizer, ironically long after when they deserved a goal, and a few chances we had in stoppage time couldn’t give us a winner.

HamKam 1-3 Frigg (D2)

We were looking very close to the drop zone when we went behind at HamKam. Haugen equalized, but at half-time that looked like the best we could hope for. However we were able to raise our game in the second half, with Sitter and a first goal for defender Leknes giving us a great win.

Frigg 1-0 Strommen (D2)

We were expecting a big challenge from Strommen when they came to ours, but instead not a lot happened in the first half, aside from a couple of poor chances from us. We gave the game its only real bit of life after half-time, which included a goal from Kringberg, but as you can imagine I was much more delighted with a win which took us to 6th, especially against such favoured opponents, then I was worried about the dullness of the game.

Kjelsas 1-1 Frigg (D2)

Kjelsas, who were just above the drop zone, were minor rivals (but only from their end, we barely knew they existed), and we went to them next. Sitter gave us an early lead, though it took just a few minutes to respond. We both had strong periods of heavy pressure, especially in the second half, and we were sitting comfortably enough that I didn’t mind dropping points now, anyway you only really drop points when at the top end of the table, when it’s about survival you merely gain them.

League Table

Sept 2013

Brummundal 0-3 Frigg (D2)

The second half of the season started at Brumunddal. We pushed them throughout the first half, and 5 minutes from half time, finally were headed into the lead by Leknes. The boot was on the other foot for a lot of the second half, but that changes when Sitter snatched a second, very much against the run of play, and with their threat diminished, Hareide wrapped things up with a 3rd.

Frigg 4-1 Skeid (D2)

After our good recent run, Skeid, in 3rd were just too good. Even at home we couldn’t get much of a response together after they took the lead, and they opened the throttle in the second half, going 3-0 up. Sitter got one back but they comfortably took a 4th and final goal, giving us a heavy first defeat in 6.

Nest-Sotra 2-2 Frigg (D2)

Nest-Sotra also looked too good when we went to theirs, taking the lead in the first half with no trouble, and taking advantage of our side being in a complete mess to get another after half-time. We looked dead and buried, but we improved enough to support Hakon, who had come on, in what was his one-man mission. He got a goal back, had an equalizer ruled out for offside, and managed to grab us an unlikely point in stoppage time.

Follo 1-0 Frigg (D2)

He couldn’t save us at Follo, his former club. We were not bad, just average. They scored the only goal just before half-time, and we were merely good enough to keep them out and limit their chances.

League Table

Oct 2013

Frigg 2-0 Moss (D2)

Again we were in the tougher part of the fixture list, hence the slowdown but with Moss having a terrible season, we took advantage to get back up to speed. We easily had the better of a goalless first half, and managed to break them in the second with Lynum giving us the lead, then setting up defender Schroeder to give us the first win for a few games.

Frigg 2-2 Valerenga 2 (D2)

We were similar but more wasteful at home to Valerenga 2, and they struck to take the lead before the break, extending it in the second half. However we managed to rally. Andreassen got a goal back and a penalty from DM Ovrebo gave us a point.

Frigg 0-0 Haufoss (D2)

The best thing that could be said about the game with table-topping Raufoss was that it was easy to forget that they were, as it was a fairly even game, with our player probably having the better of things in terms of number of chances, but not getting that close to getting a goal.

Herkules 0-3 Frigg (D2)

Herkules got points on the board just after we last played them, but that and a few more goals were all they’d got as they were already relegated. They were little trouble, and after we pushed hard, they even kindly gave us the lead with an own goal. Schroder’s goal just after looked like it would be it, but with a few minutes left, Hakon gave us a 3rd.

League Table

Nov 2013

Frigg 2-1 Stabaek 2 (D2)

We all-but-secured survival with 4 games to go after we played Stabaek 2 at home. Petry had been injured for a lot of the season, and had made sub appearances since his return, but this was his return to form, getting a pair of goals in the first half, the second right before half time, to give us a good lead, and while they got a consolation, the win did the trick for us.

Mjondalen 3-2 Frigg (D2)

Landro gave us a slightly surprise lead in the 10th minute at Mjondalen. They came back to equalize before half-time, and the second half went all their way as they got an expected 3-1 win.

Frigg 2-1 HamKam (D2)

We looked like we were winding down at the end of the season, when at home to HamKam, they comfortably took control of the game, and the lead. We showed some life in the second half, and managed to turn it around with quick goals from Landro and Petry around the 70 minute mark giving us a win.

Frigg 1-1 Kjelsas (D2)

In the penultimate game, we had the chance to relegate our sort-of-but-not-really rivals Kjelsas, who would go down in they failed to win, plus it would boost our chances of a particularly good final position in a packed mid-table, with 2 points between 5th and 8th. Defensive uselessness gave them the lead in the first half, followed by a few attempts to equalize before half-time that just weren’t enough. We kept probing in the second half, and Kringberg gave us an equalizer with 15 minutes left, but had it mattered more the lack of success in quite a few chances to get a winner would have bugged me. As it happened even a win wouldn’t have saved them due to results elsewhere.

Strommen 4-0 Frigg (D2)

We finished the season in disappointing style at Strommen. They were expected to be clearly superior, and so they were, getting a 2-0 lead in the first half, and we were poor enough to make it easy for them. In the second half Norevik’s injury left us with a hole in our defence, though that in itself didn’t cover the poor performances of players all over the pitch, and they romped to a 4 goal win.

Once again Norway proves to be most kind to me. It was far from an impressive season, taken generally. Inconsistency was such that we never had more than 2 wins, draws or defeats together, and rarely even that (twice for wins, once for draws and either once or none for defeats depending on if you’re just counting the cup exit), a remarkably unremarkable story. Still, it easily got the job done, and it could be seen as a very good season in some points. It wasn’t boring either, aside from the unpredictability, we had the 5th most goals scored and conceded, and aside from the disastrous Herakles, only Stabaek 2 got (just 1) more goals in total in their matches. The future looked promising, with a squad that would be gelled, and with more reinforcements to come, but without making as many changes.

Final League Table

Squad stats

Star Player: Kringberg

Not one of the young stars, or one of our best players, but definitely far above the rest in this initial season, with his assists being by far the biggest individual contribution, with only Hakon's goals coming close.

Winter 2014

Even before a penny had been spent, the squad looked slightly bigger and better. A few players were released, and in their place came a couple of players at the end of their contract, plus a couple of decent prospects from the youth intake who already had reasonable attributes. My first signing, a keeper, was interesting to say the least. Very eccentric, and according to the scout report, ‘inconsistent’ (which isn’t the handicap it used to be for me) and with an ‘unpredictable’ goalkeeping style, which I don’t see as being entirely a bad thing, but there were plenty of positives, already close to being as good as the aging inherited keeper, great potential, good shot stopper and one who’d perform in good games, which he’d better do at 20k. One of the most polarized signings I’ve ever made.

Aside from that, a relative lack of demand was joined by a lack of particularly good players anyway, so there was far less change, which at this point was a good thing. We were still expected to struggle, but as the only big difference to be made in budget, I set expectations to ‘mid-table’, which was really what I was confident about anyway, but if we could get some sort of consistency together, with last year being one of the least consistent seasons in history (only 3 times with back to back wins, draws or defeats), I was thinking more of getting into the top-half myself, and felt we could have a pretty strong season if things went right, though with only 1 team going up, a promotion push wouldn’t be on my mind before we did have such a strong top half showing.

Sildnes

Bye

Transfers

And the 2 youth players

Skjerve

Buljo

Sorry, not played much this week after a disasterous attempt to play while drinking on Wednesday (which normally works, but this time had to go back to an earlier save after forgetting all about contract renewals and approaching players who were expiring)

Apr/May 2014

Floy 5-3 Frigg (NC)

We started at Floy in the cup, and got off to a very bad start as they went 2-0 up in the first 3 minutes. Kringberg got one back in the 21st minute, but they got a 3rd, and after Hakon gave us another back, the unpredictable Sildnes (who was actually still our best defensive player, so poor were the others) got an own goal on his debut to give us a 4th. We pushed n the second half and should have got a 3rd, but we only did from Leknes after they got a 5th.

Frigg 5-1 Strommen (D2)

The league started much better at home to Strommen. After we were the better team at the start, Petry gave us the lead. The defence was having a wobbly day and they equalized, but Kringberg restored the advantage before half time. With the defence shored up, we went wild in the second half. Hakon, Petry and Kringberg all scoring to give us a 5-1 win against a side considered to be pretty strong.

Skeid 3-3 Frigg (D2)

Skeid away was another tricky one, and while Kringberg gave us the lead again, a very weak defence again meant we were 2-1 behind at the break. We vastly improved after the break, with Bye and Sitter giving us a 3-2 lead, and we pushed well to try and get another, but 3 subs were never enough, and we still had weak points that they took advantage of to get a draw in stoppage time.

Frigg 0-0 Baerum (D2)

A home game with Baerum was a mixed bag. They were newly promoted but had won both games so far, and a fairly quiet 0-0 draw where we had what chances there were in the game summed up that ambiguity.

Mjondalen 1-4 Frigg (D2)

We were back to winning ways at Mjondalen, with Schroder and Bye giving us the lead. In the second half they got a goal back, and things looked nervy for a while, but a Bye penalty made it comfortable, and Hareide finished things with a 4th.

Moss 1-0 Frigg (D2)

We went down to a defeat at Moss, which was a dull game where we nearly survived a poor defence until they scored with 2 minutes left, and were denied a point where an immediate Petry response was ruled out.

Frigg 1-0 HamKam (D2)

On my birthday, we were at home to HamKam. Hakon gave us the lead shortly before the break, and they weren’t much of a threat at all, so without being too impressive, it was easy going.

League Table

Jul/Aug 2014

Orn Horten 0-3 Frigg (D2)

After over a month and a half break, we went to Orn Horten. The breakthough came after half an hour when Andreasen got sent off, but Hareide gave us the lead, followed by Petry before the break. You never know we were a man down, and just before the hour mark, Leknes, who had come on to fill the gap in defense, headed in our 3rd and final goal.

Stabaek 2 1-1 Frigg (D2)

I left the next game with very undiplomatic thoughts about Stabaek 2. In the first 15 minutes they decided to injure the excellent Kringberg, then the other winger, Bye, for good measure. We couldn’t overcome this, and they took the lead just after. Early in the second half, as we made game attempts to get back into it, Hakon went off injured as well, leaving us a man short. I won’t pretend we played particularly well, but Schroder’s equalizer 5 minutes after Hakon’s injury felt far sweeter than such a situation normally would, and the same could be said for a fairly dull game football-wise petering out into a 1-1 draw. Hakon would be ok, Bye would be after a week, but having Kringberg, the latest in a very long line of star left-wingers I’ve had (even who haven’t looked that amazing on paper) throughout the FM ages, out for 6-7 weeks was really frustrating.

Frigg 1-1 Asker (D2)

We could have used him at home to Asker, who were the relegated side from the First Division, and were in the mix at the top (as we were just about). They dominated from the start, being denied by an early goal-line clearance, then taking the lead. They didn’t ease off the pressure, but we got an equalizer from Lynum, getting a lucky point despite a straight red for Hakon meaning for the 3rd game in a row we finished a man down.

Skjetten 0-2 Frigg (D2)

The boot was comfortably on the other foot at home to Skjetten, this year’s whipping boys with just 1 point and 2 goals (and 39 conceded) from 9 games. Petry gave us a first-half lead in a one-sided game. Bye missed a second half penalty but scored another with 8 minutes left to give us a deserved second goal and prevent a potential shock equalizer.

Valerenga 2 3-0 Frigg (D2)

Again as a contrast, we were second best from the first minute at Valerenga 2. They comfortably had a 2-0 lead at half-time, and even encouragement, with often at least makes things closer, didn’t work as they got a 3rd early in the second half, and a potential 4th ruled out later.

Frigg 2-0 Lillehammer (D2)

We wanted to regain momentum against Lillehammer, helped by Kringberg’s return. We kept pushing, even when Petry went off injured in the first half, and it was his replacement Sitter who finally gave us a goal early in the second half, and having long expected a second by that point, Bye got it at the end.

Nest-Sotra 2-2 Frigg (D2)

We were better for a lot of a tricky game at Nest-Sotra, but as well as being wasteful, Sildnes was being a liability at the back and they scored when he made a mess of a shot after 70 minutes. Haugen equalized, but they broke through again in stoppage time. Amazingly there was still time to Haugen to get another goal to save a point, this from a forward/winger who currently was low down the pecking order for both positions.

League Table

Sept 2014

Strommen 3-0 Frigg (D2)

We went to Strommen, who were top after the first half of the season. They got an early goal, but we were determined to push back before they had the chance to get more. That we did, but our tremendous pressure came to nothing, and they start getting more chances before half time. Early in the second half they banged in two goals, and our only threat was soaking up more pressure to stop them getting another couple.

Frigg 0-2 Skeid (D2)

A dull game against Skeid was livened up by an unfortunate incident, as a blunder by ‘liability’ Sildnes (and actually I nicknamed him that during the match, making for a very accurate bit in the match report). It wasn’t my day with keepers, they had a few chances as the only real action, and having taken Sildnes off, his replacement, Harung (the previous first choice, not a useless reserve) finished off the game with an own-goal!

Baerum 0-6 Frigg (D2)

Things worked at lot better at Baerum. Haugen scored in the 3rd minute, and had a hat-trick before we reacted 20 minutes. Hakon got one after the break, but it was Haugen’s day, as he ended up with 5 goals and a 6-0 win! Both club records, and a personal ‘take-that’ both from him to me (as I’ll probably still release him, a couple of excellent games changes little), and from me to the board after pre-match rumours that I might not get a new contract. Though I felt I would in the end anyway, I felt that would scotch those rumours right there and then.

Frigg 2-1 Mjondalen (D2)

A bad start at home to Mjondalen seemed to throw away all that, as they went ahead, and comfortably cruised in the first half. That changed when I brought on Lynum at half-time, for an oddly anonymous Kringberg, and he grabbed the equalizer, then at the end, provided the corner for Schroder to grab a winner.

League Table

Oct 2014

Frigg 4-0 Moss (D2)

We were rather lucky against underachieving Moss, in that they seemed determined to start their own space program for much of the first half. Lund grabbed a pair of goals late in the half to give us a misleading 2-0 win, and he completed his hat-trick soon after half-time. They reappled the pressure, but while they weren’t as inaccurate, there was more chance of them scoring in their own goal then ours, and in fact, with ‘liability’ (and despite the name and the errors, he’s still been solid in a lot of games and had his moments with dealing with strong pressure) managing to keep our the rare on target shot, that’s exactly what happened with a late 4th from an own-goal.

HamKam 2-0 Frigg (D2)

We weren’t expected to get anything from a trip to HamKam, and nor did we. A poor defence (that got better later) meant that Sildnes had to make a load of saves from the start, and while he was beaten twice midway through the first half, it could have been much worse so no blame could be laid at his door.

Frigg 4-1 Orn Horten (D2)

We were just as favoured at home to Orn Horten, and while Haugen gave us the lead (his 8th goal of the season, but only the 3rd in which he’s actually scored), we had a wobbly phase late in the first half and they equalized, though debutant defender Buljo (from this seasons youth intake, which feels good) wasn’t at fault. After half-time we retook control,2 quick goals, from Haugen and a Lynum-assisted own goal, gave us a comfortable lead. Haugen had another disallowed, but Hareide gave us a headed 4th late on.

Asker 1-1 Frigg (D2)

We withstood plenty of pressure at Asker, and even sneaked the lead through Haugen. They kept trying, and equalized in the second half, but we had some late chances which could have given us a winner.

League Table

Nov 2014

Frigg 1-2 Stabaek 2 (D2)

We were unfortunate again at home to Stabaek 2, pushing strongly for a lot of the game, but going behind midway through the second half. Lund scored in the 74th minute, but they got a quick winner which dashed our hopes of a deserved point.

Frigg 2-1 Valerenga 2 (D2)

We put up similar pressure against Valerenga 2, though not so much at first, and this time were rewarded with Buljo heading in his first goal for the club, followed by Kringberg. They grabbed a goal back in the final minute but it was too late to stop us winning.

Lillehammer 0-1 Frigg (D2)

The trip to Lillehammer started off very slowly, but even in the first half we were just about the better side, and started pushing well in the second half. In stoppage time, Lund managed to score gave us a just-about-deserved win but we hadn’t been that impressive over limited opposition.

Skjetten 0-7 Frigg (D2)

We had a great time at doomed no-hopers Skjetten. Hareide, Lund and Hakon gave us a 3 goal lead at the break. The latter took control of the game, with another early in the second half, then he completed a hat-trick after Buljo got another. We eased off for most of the rest of the game, though Lynum got a 7th with 10 minutes left.

Frigg 1-2 Nest-Sotra (D2)

We started well in the last game, at home to Nest-Sotra, with Hakon giving us the lead in the first minute. They equalized 5 minutes later, and continued to keep pushing, breaking the defence to take the lead. We managed to gain the upper hand in the second half, but couldn’t even get what would have been a deserved equalizer at least.

Final League Table

I was very happy with this season, even when we were in 3rd early on I knew we weren’t going to challenge for promotion, and staying consistently between 3rd and 5th was something to be pleased about, even if on balance we were lucky to grab points on quite a few occasions. There was still work to do, consistency was better (and it was impossible for it not to be), aside from having strong goalscorers, there’d be 4 players arriving on frees, and I’d probably alter the lineup a bit for next season, see if I can inject a bit more potential. I would be satisfied with staying into this comfortable position for a while, instead of seriously gunning for the one promotion spot which until I was actually up there would be very much a distant ‘if’, as possible as it was.

Squad stats

Star player: Kringberg

Proving that goal and assist stats aren't everything, as last season's best player didn't improve on those but did far better anyway. But how long can he remain one of our best?

Why did your top goalscorer only start 12 games?

Aside from the fact that it's not quite as little as it looks in a 26 game season, he was simply an average player who was low down the pecking order at the start and got those 10 goals in just a few good games. Those few games did make it tricky to stick with my plan of releasing him, but I did (and very popular decision it was too apparantly), controversal as it may seem.

Winter 2015

The 4 freebees were the bulk of the winter activity. The budgets were getting squeezed, and there was little out there I was interested in, though caved in and tried for 3 players, though had to give up on two who chose to sign a pre-contract deal with their clubs, twice. That was probably just as well as while depth is hardly a bad thing, you can be too crowded for places. There were no good players from the youth intake which limited the changes to a sensible level, though there was an unplanned addition in the form of a loan from parent club Notodden, which I thought I might as well take just in case (age rules applying obviously, which is why I rejected the guy they tried to send last year). Again expectations were raised from ‘avoid relegation’ to ‘mid-table’ (though in reality I was looking for a repeat of last year’s good top-half season or better).

Idland

Jensen

Jonassen

Kristiansen

Transfers

Apr/May 2015

Frigg 3-0 Asker (D2)

The first game was expected to be tricky, at home to Asker. In the first half we were good at playing the ball forward but not much else, as most of our attacking players were making a very poor start to the season, however that was rather more threat than Asker managed. In the second half, Lund gave us our breakthrough, and we proved dangerous enough to assists 2 own goals, the last one in stoppage time, to give us a strong opening-day win.

Fram Larvik 1-3 Frigg (D2)

Lund was staking a claim to be the strong goalscorer we lacked, as he scored after 5 minutes at Fram Larvik. Young Jensen, the signing I was most excited about, got our second goal. In the second half we were far quieter, and they got a goal back, but Jensen’s late second made it safe.

Frigg 3-0 Moss (D2)

Lund was clearly loving having Jensen as his wingman, and he bagged a hat-trick in just over half an hour at home to Moss. They started to really push back hard in the second half, and were unfortunate to have a late goal disallowed, but this was our day, and it meant we were already the only side with a 100% record.

Trauma 0-3 Frigg (NC)

We weren’t at our best at Trauma in the cup, especially in the first half, but comfortably took the lead in the 22nd minute from ‘Luciani’ Lund. Kristiansen got his first goal for the club early in the second half, and Schroder gave us a late 3rd.

Frigg 4-2 Brann (NC)

We were at home to Brann in the next round, a team I wasn’t too fond of, and they were also the reigning Norwegian champions, though weren’t having a good season so far. The first half was as one-sided as you’d expect, except we held out until a Lund penalty in the 37th minute gave us the lead. That spurred them on to finally get the ball in the net in an instant equalizer, but Kristiansen restored the advantage before the break. The second half was mostly quiet, though with 20 minutes left they headed in a corner to level the game, and after another couple of chances, we took control once more, Lund restoring the lead, and finishing things off with an added time penalty. Oh, and it was my 100th career match (finally) as well, sweet.

Frigg 3-0 Nest-Sotra (D2)

I knew we’d have a few blips coming soon, but it didn’t happen at home to Nest-Sotra. We pushed well early on, but with no goals it looked like they were taking control and punishing us, though Lund averted that with a goal after half an hour. He tucked away a second in the 58th minute (taking the 19yr old to 11 goals after just 6 games, more than anyone managed last season), and with no more resistance, Kristiansen’s 3rd in the 82nd made it look easy.

Valerenga 2 1-0 Frigg (D2)

With Stabaek’s relegation from the Premier Division meaning that the reserve side were relegated from the Second, Valerenga 2 were the only reserves in the league, and if they couldn’t improve on poor early form, that wouldn’t be the case for long, and there we went, somehow knowing they’d be a potential banana skin with some good players cast off from the first team. Indeed after a first half of occasional threatening from each side, they took the lead. We tried hard in the second half, but couldn’t quite get something.

Raufoss 3-1 Frigg (D2)

From there we moved to a tough trip to Raufoss, who had come straight back down from the First Division. They scored n the 29th minute, and we had a Kristiansen response disallowed. We kept trying, and Lund levelled it in the 63rd minute, but they quickly retook the lead, and I knew a repeat equalizer was a tall order, and in the end they got a late 3rd for good measure.

League Table

June/Jul 2015

Frigg 1-2 Skarbovik (NC)

The only game in June was in the cup, as we were awarded with a game against non-league Skarbovik. However having given out a shot, we were on the receiving end this time. They scored after 10 minutes, and we had one of our less intense games. Jonassen equalized after an hour, but they struck with 10 minutes left to put us out. Ah well, you win some, you lose some.

Kjelsas 1-1 Frigg (D2)

The league resumed in mid-July at re-promoted Kjelsas, and despite having lost 3 competitive games on the bounce, we were still right up there, 4th but just a point off all of the top 3. Kjelsas were one of those top 3, the early and long break making the season seem further along than it was, paradoxically while 6 games seems a short way it, it’s almost ¼ of the way through, still not much but longer. They scored after 10 minutes from a disputed goal, and our response was to have brief but regular chances. With just one spot available (and yes I’m definitely gunning for it), having a side going 4 points clear would not be good. Thankfully in the 65th minute, Kringberg came to the rescue to make it 1-1.

Frigg 1-0 Lillehammer (D2)

There was a late flurry from both sides, and under the circumstances I was happy to keep close to them. We got a welcome win at home to Lillehammer, though it was a hard-fought one as we pushed reasonably for a lot of the match, and Kristiansen got the only goal after an hour.

Aug 2015

Mjondalen 2-1 Frigg (D2)

At Mjondalen, Schroder gave us the lead after 5 minutes, but then equalized (actually causing me to stick two fingers up at the screen) and pushed strongly for the rest of the half. Kristiansen looked to have restored the lead at the beginning of the second half, but it was disallowed and they made it 2-1 themselves just afterwards, and a period of pressure from us couldn’t give us anything. A most annoying defeat for sure.

Lorenskog 2-0 Frigg (D2)

We were very unlucky to have two(!) relegated sides from the First Division in our group, and had to go to the table-topping other one, Lorenskog. We were able to defy the odds in the first half, attacking reasonably well, but after the break a couple of goals within the first 15 minutes secured it for them.

Frigg 2-0 Skeid (D2)

As we were dropping down the league, we faced a lot of chances from Skeid at home, but Buljo headed us into the lead. The young defender got another just after the break, and we felt free to have a go for the rest of the match.

Frigg 3-1 Strommen (D2)

Strommen at home was an example of a game with a first half where either side could have grabbed the lead with good chances, and it was Kristiansen who did it for us before half-time. Hareide set him up for another early in the second half, and with 15 minutes left, Lund got his first goal since Raufoss at the end of May, just before they got a consolation.

Holand 1-3 Frigg (D2)

The trip to Holand was relatively easy compared to recent ones. Lynum gave us the lead, and came close to another. Lund had one disallowed, and after the break, Buljo and Hareide secured the win before they got a consolation. Again it seemed like the season was far more advanced than just half-way but with Raufoss running away with it, it still seemed a tall order, and the drop in form after the excellent start, as well as some bad luck meant that we would likely have to settle to get close and try again next year with a settled squad.

League Table

Aside from the fact that it's not quite as little as it looks in a 26 game season, he was simply an average player who was low down the pecking order at the start and got those 10 goals in just a few good games. Those few games did make it tricky to stick with my plan of releasing him, but I did (and very popular decision it was too apparantly), controversal as it may seem.

I figured that could be the case.

I wouldn't have released him I'd have given him a new contract! And I'd have played him more (which is one of the many reasons I'm cack at FM :D)

Sept 2015

Asker 3-2 Frigg (D2)

Having looked like we’d salvage the season, we went about falling again at Asker, a very poor start saw them take the lead, though somehow Jensen gave us an underserved equalizer before the break. They re-established their superiority early in the second half, though after Kristiansen equalized, we actually had a good spell that could have seen us get a winner, though they got it in the end.

Frigg 0-1 Fram Larvik (D2)

Even a home game with bottom club Fram Larvik was a struggle, we were just about superior but they took the lead in the first half, we really should have had at least an equalizer in the second half, but didn’t push hard enough for it to really be as cruel as a lot of similar defeats.

Moss 5-1 Frigg (D2)

After that I knew we hadn’t much chance at Moss, who were in 2nd. However I didn’t expect such a poor performance that saw us 3 goals down at half-time. We didn’t improve and soon conceded a couple more, Lynum getting a useless goal in stoppage time.

Frigg 3-2 Raufoss (D2)

I wasn’t optimistic playing runaway leaders Raufoss at home, but having avoided being overrun, we went behind late in the first half, with an added time own goal equalizer. We managed to take the lead thanks to Lund in the second half, and Kristiansen made it 3-1, and though they got a goal back in an even game, we held out.

League Table

Oct 2015

Frigg 2-1 Valerenga 2 (D2)

Valerenga 2 were often troublesome, and they were no exception this time, being in the lead at half-time. We were able to overcome them in the end, Kristiansen drawing us level, then in the final minutes, bouncing a winner in off the post for a very pleasing three points.

Nest-Sotra 2-3 Frigg (D2)

We had another poor start at Nest-Sotra, going behind. Lund quickly equalized and in early the second half Kristiansen have us the lead. They equalized but another Lund goal wrapped it up with 6 minutes left, and it could have been more as Hakon (on for an injured Kristiansen) had a disallowed goal right at the end.

Frigg 1-1 Kjelsas (D2)

The reverse happened at home to Kjelsas, with Haug heading us into the ead after 5 minutes, but a quick response of an equalizer from them, and while the win was still ours for the taking, we barely tried and had to settle for a point.

Lillehammer 3-0 Frigg (D2)

We were definitely in a poor patch, and against struggling Lillehammer we made it easy for them to take a 2-0 lead within half an hour, and we couldn’t even stop them getting more in the second half as they comfortably got a 3rd.

Frigg 2-1 Lorenskog (D2)

After an even first half at home to Lorenskog, Lund gave us the lead as we took control in the second half. We kept attacking but they got a lucky equalizer with a rare push. Right at the end, justice was done with Lund’s second goal.

Nov 2015

Frigg 3-0 Mjondalen (D2)

The form pendulum (which much be very dizzy by now) was back swinging in our favour, and while Mjondalen were struggling, that didn’t mean anything. Haug gave us a couple of early headed goals. Lund’s late goal (after a slow personal performance) wrapped an easy win up.

Strommen 3-0 Frigg (D2)

At Strommen, we faced a lot of pressure, and the best we managed was to hold out until almost half-time. The second half saw them quickly getting another, and later getting a 3rd.

Skeid 1-0 Frigg (D2)

It was a similar story at Skeid, except we mostly manage to match them, except for a point early in the second half with the game’s only goal.

Frigg 1-2 Holand (D2)

We had a jolly old time on the final day against Holand, wasting chances, giving their keeper a front row seat to an attacking comedy of errors, and going behind just before half-time for good measure. Kristansen equalized, but by that point they were pushing us hard, and retook the lead. We could still have had a point with a disallowed Kringberg goal.

A pretty frustrating season, emphasizing that even 26-game seasons are marathons, not sprints, and after the early games, we proved poor even at sprinting as form was rather patchy to say the least, later on the front runners faltered, and while we couldn’t get too close, aside from near the end of the season, all those poor results represented a missed opportunity if we’d managed to avoid even a few of those, especially as later on we got very few points from games against all the sides in or around the relegation zone. In a way the early run could help us for next season, as I’d declined to go for players on expiring contracts which what then was looking like a very possible promotion, and there would be very few changes, which may provide a boost, plus the advantage of a young side is that even if you can’t upgrade through transfers, you can get some improvement, even gradual or slight, through the youngsters developing, bonding and getting experience.

Final League Table

Squad Stats

Star player: Lund

Had an amazing burst at the start of the season, wasn't that great after but still chipped in enough to have what was easily the best individual goalscoring season of my Frigg reign so far.

Winter 2016

I took a bit of a gamble in the close season, releasing a few of the more experienced but less exceptional players, and leaving a few holes in the squad to plug with newer players. We no longer had the link with Notodden as they were relegated to our division, which didn’t bother me too much, but I wanted to be reasonably close to promotion, despite simply upgrading expectations to ‘mid-table’ for the 3rd season running, so there was little pressure from the board to do it. Changes were few so I was banking on a bit of stability boost.

Jacobsen

Oftedal

Toft

Transfers

Shame you had a sticky last couple of months; you wouldn't have been far behind Moss otherwise.
Few bad results in the last couple of months. Good luck next time round.

Thanks, unfortunately this season hasn't started well. I've been starting to think about what to do if I can't get anywhere near promotion in the next year or 2, though its far too early to draw judgements for this season.

Caught up now, reading from the beginning (altho if I'm honest I just skim past most match reports, not enough time to read game-by-game). Looking like you're making a slow start to this career! Time for a bit of a tactical rethink? And/or the relaxing of the signing only under 20s rule you've imposed on yourself? Nevertheless Norway seems to be going far better than Slovenia nevermind Sweden. :D I chuckled at this:

Either that or I’ve been possessed by Iacovone, or the guy mentioned on his thread last year with the ‘global relegation tour’.

:D

And this:

I'd say that couldn't have gone worse, but technically it could.

:D :D

Caught up now, reading from the beginning (altho if I'm honest I just skim past most match reports, not enough time to read game-by-game). Looking like you're making a slow start to this career! Time for a bit of a tactical rethink? And/or the relaxing of the signing only under 20s rule you've imposed on yourself? Nevertheless Norway seems to be going far better than Slovenia nevermind Sweden.

There won't be a relaxing of the U21 rule, tactical shift a little unlikely as consistency has always paid (though I do occasionally take a new approach). Season suddenly looking a bit better but genuinely wondering whether to stay if we still don't get anywhere, try for a bit longer, be thankful for the stability or go somewhere (since I'm sure I can avoid newly promoted clubs now) in a league with a bit more potential for progression. Thoughts?

Archived