Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

Whenever I use a BWM he's guaranteed to pick up a yellow card, and on average a red card every 4 games. I've tried 4 different players in this position with the same result. I've punished and fined them but it makes no difference. I've tried ones with high aggression, I've tried ones with low aggression - no change.

Are there any settings I can apply to reduce the cards, or do I need to avoid the role altogether?

I've used them fine without too many cards- if they are picking up a lot of fouls, it is likely an elevated dirtiness attribute than high aggression, though it seems strange (though not impossible) that you would have four players that are dirty.  Are they all good tacklers? You might check their mental attributes too, and see if there is a common denominator there like low decisions, or anticipation, or something that might cause mistimed challenges, perhaps low acceleration so they have the right idea but get there late. Just spitballing some potential things because while it is a role that you would expected to see some cards from, it is by no means an unusable one which it sounds like it is being for you.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, I'm a part-time lower league outfit so they don't have good tackling or mental skills; just better than average amongst their peers. Maybe it's just not a role that's suitable for lower-level players. Some have the stamina to play bob-to-box and that seems a safer option, along with CM(d).

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 19:47, Dr. Hook said:

To be honest, that is why I suggested a DLF(A)- because that is about as close as you can get to a target man without using one. It doesn't attract the balls they way a targetman does and that mechanic has always given me problems. I found way too many turnovers were happening from players hoofing it in to him when I last used it, but in theory it fit what I wanted to see from the attack. That is how I came to use the DLF(A) and I was more or less happy with how it did, though I agree it isn't quite the same.

Seem to have sorted my lone striker problem.  A DLF A unfortunately didn't help but one game I changed from my usual counter strategy to defensive and my team has been banging in the goals ever since including the strikers.  In fact I attack better on defensive than I do on attack - 4-0, 2-0, 4-0, 1-0 (with 10 men) since the change - go figure!!! 

Edited by Sussex Hammer

Quick question about Attributes and Roles...

I play lower leagues / amateur football. And I initially went ahead and selected 3-5 attributes I looked at when selecting my players. But I am not sure if that's the best way to go...

Example for a CM:
Stats I would look at: Pas, Fir, Dec
Stats the role highlights: Pas, Tac, Con, Tea

Player A:
Pas: 5
Fir: 6
Dec: 6
Tac: 1
Con: 5
Tea: 5

Player B:
Fir: 4
Dec: 3
Tac: 6

Who's the better player as a CM? Does the game engine actually look at those "suggested stats" or is this something that can be completely ignored, since the game engine looks into more detail (Opponent tries to tackle, check if Agi, Ant, Con is high enough, add rng = tackle success / tackle fails / foul.)

TL/DR: Should I pick my own attributes I think are important for that role when selecting a player or should I primarily look at the highlighted stats the game tells me are important?

^ Yeah, I didn't really agree with your approach. At that level the technical and mental attributes tend to be so piddling that it hardlymakes any difference.

By all means decide on the attributes you think are best, but my priority is to look for young players with the potential and right personality to improve significantly so they develop the attributes I want, rather than start with them.

17 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

^ Yeah, I didn't really agree with your approach. At that level the technical and mental attributes tend to be so piddling that it hardlymakes any difference.

By all means decide on the attributes you think are best, but my priority is to look for young players with the potential and right personality to improve significantly so they develop the attributes I want, rather than start with them.

So you would favor a player with weaker stats but that's professional over one that has better stats but is ... let's say balanced? Is the difference that significant?

How do you decide who gets to play in the first team and who's your backup?
I mean, would you favor a young player that's weaker over an older player? If so, what happens if this young player is 24 years and along comes another youngster?

I'm just trying to find the best system to pick the squad, but it seems that this is not as easy and clear as I'd like it to be...

Well you have to play the game your way, and factor in many issues. For example, if you're an amateur team there's no point trying to develop young players so you just cobble together as good a team as you can before the better ones bog off on a free.

My team is part-time and when I identify a promising youth I try to tie him down to a contract. Coming through the academy, they tend to be fans of the club, have a bond with the staff and thus are less likely to leave.

So, in my teams, I do ensure half the starting XI or more is a core of top players, but I constantly introduce one, two or three fringe youths to give them first team experience. Eventually, when a player appears to have peaked, I'll edge him out in favour of a weaker player who has the potential to surpass him. If we're dominating the league by about November I'll mix and match all season apart from putting out my best XI for cup games (if I get past the first couple of rounds) so that over the season all my players have had a fair bit of first team exposure. By the end of February I know which youths are going to develop and which need to be side-lined to make room for the next academy intake (of those I'll typically give a contract to 4 or 5).

In my current save, in my second season I had a DC come through my academy who was clearly better than any in my first team, so he slotted straight in.  However, by early in the next season I realised that even as a 16 year old, he'd peaked. He'll see out his contract or go if a decent bid comes in, but I'm already easing in a DC from the following intake who currently isn't as good as he is. In that same intake was a striker who is currently bagging all my goals, but I don't think he's got much more in his locker.  If we get promoted and he turns out to be a non-league Jordan Rhodes, I need to be prepared, so I'm easing in another striker who's far inferior but appears to have more long-term potential.

There is no "best" system to pick a squad. You have to think through your personal long term strategy, or philosophy. I really like that FM has introduced the idea of the manager's philosophy to be judged by. You either decide on your strategy before starting a new save - maybe choosing a club to manage that fits with your philosophy, or decide firmly on your philosophy regardless of the club, or you assess your squad early in your first season and decide on your long term strategy from there.

1 hour ago, Areolys said:

Quick question about Attributes and Roles...

I play lower leagues / amateur football. And I initially went ahead and selected 3-5 attributes I looked at when selecting my players. But I am not sure if that's the best way to go...

Example for a CM:
Stats I would look at: Pas, Fir, Dec
Stats the role highlights: Pas, Tac, Con, Tea

Player A:
Fir: 6
Dec: 6
Tac: 1

Player B:
Fir: 4
Dec: 3
Tac: 6

Who's the better player as a CM? Does the game engine actually look at those "suggested stats" or is this something that can be completely ignored, since the game engine looks into more detail (Opponent tries to tackle, check if Agi, Ant, Con is high enough, add rng = tackle success / tackle fails / foul.)

TL/DR: Should I pick my own attributes I think are important for that role when selecting a player or should I primarily look at the highlighted stats the game tells me are important?

For LLM football, I would recommend you go for physicals above all else. You want to make sure the players you pick can outrun the other team first. Then you look at the rest. Typically I would settle for up to 3. Now what you choose should depend on the style of football you want to play.

If you are going to be playing a narrow system where you expect to sit back and defend a lot, then the CM will need to have good composure, first touch, decisions and passing. That should be enough. Those attributes ensure that he will get the ball under pressure and be able to distribute it. However like I said it depends on how you want to play, and what system you are setting it up for. 

Typically you want to look at your whole team and then come to some kind of conclusion what kind of Football they are capable of, and the kind of players you need to get. Then you should look at the rest of the league and see how your side stacks up. With better players and training that comparison will improve during the season. You should check it every season to see whether you are the slowest, the strongest, the best at tackling, the best at ball distribution etc.

If you need more help you can start a thread, and post your thoughts going forward. In my videos I talk about Club DNA and how I do things like that. In fact I have a Kingstonian save from 2016, the start of which is relevant to FM 17. The game doesn't change that much, my approach to the game has not changed in more than 20 years.

4 hours ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Seem to have sorted my lone striker problem.  A DLF A unfortunately didn't help but one game I changed from my usual counter strategy to defensive and my team has been banging in the goals ever since including the strikers.  In fact I attack better on defensive than I do on attack - 4-0, 2-0, 4-0, 1-0 (with 10 men) since the change - go figure!!! 

Can you send that striker over to Torino please..I need one, to finish off all the chances we are creating!

4 hours ago, Sussex Hammer said:

What role did you end up going with for your striker?

2 hours ago, Rashidi said:

For LLM football, I would recommend you go for physicals above all else. You want to make sure the players you pick can outrun the other team first. Then you look at the rest. Typically I would settle for up to 3. Now what you choose should depend on the style of football you want to play.

If you are going to be playing a narrow system where you expect to sit back and defend a lot, then the CM will need to have good composure, first touch, decisions and passing. That should be enough. Those attributes ensure that he will get the ball under pressure and be able to distribute it. However like I said it depends on how you want to play, and what system you are setting it up for. 

Typically you want to look at your whole team and then come to some kind of conclusion what kind of Football they are capable of, and the kind of players you need to get. Then you should look at the rest of the league and see how your side stacks up. With better players and training that comparison will improve during the season. You should check it every season to see whether you are the slowest, the strongest, the best at tackling, the best at ball distribution etc.

If you need more help you can start a thread, and post your thoughts going forward. In my videos I talk about Club DNA and how I do things like that. In fact I have a Kingstonian save from 2016, the start of which is relevant to FM 17. The game doesn't change that much, my approach to the game has not changed in more than 20 years.

Thanks Rashidi. I've already seen the video where you talk about Club DNA and I've based my selection on this. I also started a thread where I explain my strategy here:

I'm just not sure if I picked the right attributes for each role. Because if I go based on the 3 attributes I've set, I'll get an IF with 1 passing. Now, granted, my choices are limited, and I guess Dribbling, Finishing and Decisions are important for an IF, but if I want to play with high possession control football this guy shouldn't even be allowed in the dressing room. Then again, if I chose one that has high passing, he sucks at finishing, dribbling or decisions... :seagull: (It would also help if I could find a guide I can trust where all the attributes are explained in detail and for what roles or positions that attribute is actually important. (Example: Where's the difference between Concentration, Decision & Vision - Who needs better Vision and who needs better Decision? Where does concentration come into play?)

You're over thinking things too much ,just play the game and then take it from there.

who needs vision -anyone who needs to do something special

decisions? - everyone makes decisions don't they. 

Concentration- If you don't have concentration you will switch off:

Attributes there are many, they just guide the overall actions of players. Just play the game and stop over thinking it.

8 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Can you send that striker over to Torino please..I need one, to finish off all the chances we are creating!

You can have him, although Zaza is better in the game than he is IRL.  My main striker is Sakho.  I'd like to buy a better one but you can't get one better unless you part with at least 30 million this year.  Just hope SI don't do a data update based on current real life because my Hammers squad would implode!!!  Seriously it's really been difficult getting a lone striker to score.  Not sure this strategy of defensive will hold out long term but it seems to only strategy that works at the moment!!!

7 hours ago, Dr. Hook said:

Struck with what I had last year but with a change of strategy.  I based a 4141 around one of Knap's 442 tactics when I just dragged a striker back to DM and left one up and changed it to a DF S.  Worked a treat in FM16 but because crosses aren't quite as effective in 17 I have as you know struggled with the lone forward.  However since going to a defensive  strategy from a counter one the DF S has been getting on the end of chances again.   I leave it as per the default bar shoot less.  I gave up trying to create tactics last year as it's just got too much of an impossible jigsaw for me these days so I just download something I like and tinker with that.  Still really struggle with the strategy's though because none seem to do what they say on the tin, at least for me they don't.  As soon as I changed to defensive the commentary said "And West Ham are starting to push players forward!!"

4 hours ago, Rashidi said:

You're over thinking things too much ,just play the game and then take it from there.

Attributes there are many, they just guide the overall actions of players. Just play the game and stop over thinking it.

Yeah, I know I'm thinking too much and I make things more complicated than they need to be. That's why I called my strategy KISS (Keep it simple, stupid!). But still, every time I lose I wonder why. Even while the game is on I can't really react. I start to question everything:

Is my tactic bad? Are my players bad? Maybe if I selected another player for this or that position I would've won. I probably keep the best players on the bench and play the worst players in the worst positions ever!
Yeah, first I got to go back and read another guide and then rearrange my whole tactic and team selection.

I love to understand systems and to know how things work exactly. I'd spend hours on reading up on things or watching videos to learn more instead of just playing. I want to do it right from the beginning and not be the idiot that just booted the next Messi from his squad because one insignificant attribute is just one point lower than some regular Schmoe that will never make it.

But yeah. I'd probably learn more by just playing and not worrying so much...

I mean: who in their right mind would spend about 2 hours setting up multiple spreadsheets to track all their players attributes, their hidden attributes and how they compare to each other, just to play a season that's 20 games long???
Yeah, I did. 

Edited by Areolys

5 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Have to agree with this. The micro-analysis might be appropriate in the Premier League, but at his level you're playing Fat Bob and his idiot brothers Dave the Chippie, Psycho Steve and Trigger. One of my strikers actually started with finishing 1 - he's up to 3 now. Concentration is mainly for defenders and also tends to be very low at this level - and boy do you see them switch off and concede ludicrous goals.

That's another thing that is so great at managing at such a low level:I keep seeing threads in GD raging at the bad or fixed ME because the players don't do what the gamer wants them to do. At this level you never blame the ME - it's always the players being hopeless, so you can immerse yourself in your gameworld without suspending disbelief because your strikers took 20 shots and failed to score, or your goalkeeper conceded six goals without saving a single shot.

Is it dumb to have a WBL/R and in front of them AML/R? I kinda like having my DM as a HB and forming a back three with my CDs and I notice they don't do this when I have a DL/R so I moved them in the WB strata. Will my defense be in trouble because of this set up?

10 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Have to agree with this. The micro-analysis might be appropriate in the Premier League, but at his level you're playing Fat Bob and his idiot brothers Dave the Chippie, Psycho Steve and Trigger. One of my strikers actually started with finishing 1 - he's up to 3 now. Concentration is mainly for defenders and also tends to be very low at this level - and boy do you see them switch off and concede ludicrous goals.

That's another thing that is so great at managing at such a low level:I keep seeing threads in GD raging at the bad or fixed ME because the players don't do what the gamer wants them to do. At this level you never blame the ME - it's always the players being hopeless, so you can immerse yourself in your gameworld without suspending disbelief because your strikers took 20 shots and failed to score, or your goalkeeper conceded six goals without saving a single shot.

Ah, come on now! Psycho Steve TOTALLY will make it in the Premier League. Just give him another year - or maybe two - and he'll smash it. Özil's a joke compared to him. I called it first.

:lol:

But yeah, I'll just try and stop worrying too much. If I lose it's because the team had a bad day, a bad run or the ref was not on our side. Guess it's all part of the inconsistencies, like winning one match 9-2 and then losing the next one 1-3 against a weaker opponent. :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Artin said:

Is it dumb to have a WBL/R and in front of them AML/R? I kinda like having my DM as a HB and forming a back three with my CDs and I notice they don't do this when I have a DL/R so I moved them in the WB strata. Will my defense be in trouble because of this set up?

This works for me with FBa and IFa.

Where do you want your AM to be? Where should the WB be?
If you want your wingers to cut inside the box, set them to inside forwards.
If you want your wingers to stay further back and your WB to overlap set the WB to attack and the AM to support.
If you want your WB to stay back and the AM to go further forward, but stay outside set your AM to attack and your WB to support.

You can always mix and match, like have one side where your WB overlaps and one side where the WB stays further back as a support.

I'd suggest that you test it out in a friendly and look at their positions, then change one role from attack to support and look what happens.

They can be best buddies, but there's no need for them to stay side by side when attacking. Give bothe of them enough space to do their job.

If you feel this is something that is worth of a new topic, I'll open one or if its just a topic to be discussed at the General section. I would like to read some opinions why opponents mentality / team shape, as well opposition player roles and duties are kept in the the dark. Personally, I feel that with so many information tools available IRL, more staff specific duties to watch and analyze opponents, as well as the most obvious one - that is, the manager watching the match from the bench - I completely miss why is this information being kept hiding in FM ??? I'm astonished that some people finds having access to this piece of information a cheat :eek:

30 minutes ago, pedrosantos said:

If you feel this is something that is worth of a new topic, I'll open one or if its just a topic to be discussed at the General section. I would like to read some opinions why opponents mentality / team shape, as well opposition player roles and duties are kept in the the dark. Personally, I feel that with so many information tools available IRL, more staff specific duties to watch and analyze opponents, as well as the most obvious one - that is, the manager watching the match from the bench - I completely miss why is this information being kept hiding in FM ??? I'm astonished that some people finds having access to this piece of information a cheat :eek:

I'll give you my take on this for what it's worth: the match engine is designed to be watched. SI have made a game in which there are multiple ways to play. For those of us who really get into the tactical side and are intent on mastering game tactics and getting the most out of our players, the game is designed to be watched. When you watch a match, it isn't really that hard to deduce the information you mention. You see formation, and from there you can get a sense of roles and duties just by the way the formation screen sets up.  You can watch the opponent D-Line to see how it is set, how many players get into the final third, how many contribute to transitions, who the playmakers are etc- all this is discoverable by watching the game and you can help it out even more by using the various stats provided. I shouldn't think the game displaying this for us is all that necessary given how much we can see just by watching a match, even on comprehensive highlights. Rashidi can tell what the AI is up to by watching key highlights and peeking at a couple stats.

This is just my take, but I imagine it isn't far off from the devs philosophy about it.

16 hours ago, Artin said:

I don't have a STRONG opinion on this, but my sense from futzing around with the 4-2-3-1 is that it depends on how the AML/AMR play.  If they're wingers, I play FBs behind them.  If they're RMD or IF, I play a wingback behind them (unless defensive necessity forces me to put them at FB.)  It's not so much the defending as the attacking, though.  I don't like how a WB and winger in the AM strata interact.  It might be different if you use inverted WBs, which I have never done.  I'm happier with how a WB and IF or RMD interact.

I've never used wide playmaker or any other options for the wide players in the AM strata.

2 hours ago, Dr. Hook said:

I'll give you my take on this for what it's worth: the match engine is designed to be watched. SI have made a game in which there are multiple ways to play. For those of us who really get into the tactical side and are intent on mastering game tactics and getting the most out of our players, the game is designed to be watched. When you watch a match, it isn't really that hard to deduce the information you mention. You see formation, and from there you can get a sense of roles and duties just by the way the formation screen sets up.  You can watch the opponent D-Line to see how it is set, how many players get into the final third, how many contribute to transitions, who the playmakers are etc- all this is discoverable by watching the game and you can help it out even more by using the various stats provided. I shouldn't think the game displaying this for us is all that necessary given how much we can see just by watching a match, even on comprehensive highlights. Rashidi can tell what the AI is up to by watching key highlights and peeking at a couple stats.

This is just my take, but I imagine it isn't far off from the devs philosophy about it.

I was hoping for your feedback when I wrote that :)

I agree, the match engine is designed to be watched and it should be watched. Come one, its supposed to be a simulator, so what manager doesn't watch his own team, right ?! This is completely a given, assumed, it feels right to be as you say. But, lets pick exactly here and look to the real life: any manager tries to master tactics, strategy, today it feels right to say that managers have to master so many different areas, both professional and social, this is precisely why so many specialized duties have emerged, because the manager, himself, has a more generic, broader role. Now, all this together, does that mean, he has information unavailable by his coaches ? Its quite the opposite, he has specialized people working with him and specific data on his opponents. And he still has to watch every match :) its his job !

It feels wrong not having reports from some scout with this kind of data. I would admit having less / worse data when teams are from lower league divisions, because if the coaches have lower attributes, then , the quality / quantity of data should be different if we have high quality staff in 1st division or top teams.

I think there's room to add better scout reports about opponents- I've always thought that they were lacking. You can get the information after forty billion clicks around different screens, watching match highlights of the opponents, etc. but I would like to see the information put into a single scouting report- some notes about roles and duties used, shape, mentality, stats etc. even links to the game clips of goals scored in their last match. Would at least be cool!

But really, lots of people don't watch the matches or much of them. We have a whole category of users who just like to buy the best players, download a tactic and hit continue :) I wouldn't enjoy that so much, but to each his own.

Is there a way I can prevent my players to shoot from outside the box? They always miss from out there and leave great chances by just shooting the ball into the stands.

I thought "Work ball into the box" is the shout I should use, but I heard Rashidi say it prevents crosses.

36 minutes ago, Dr. Hook said:

I think there's room to add better scout reports about opponents- I've always thought that they were lacking. You can get the information after forty billion clicks around different screens, watching match highlights of the opponents, etc. but I would like to see the information put into a single scouting report- some notes about roles and duties used, shape, mentality, stats etc. even links to the game clips of goals scored in their last match. Would at least be cool!

But really, lots of people don't watch the matches or much of them. We have a whole category of users who just like to buy the best players, download a tactic and hit continue :) I wouldn't enjoy that so much, but to each his own.

I would guess that lots of people could well be the vast majority, those were the old times of CM / FM and its fine if FM is played like that, after all its also a kind of legacy inherited. Also for those, having such reports, such data, could be a motivation to go deeper into tactics.

1 minute ago, Areolys said:

Is there a way I can prevent my players to shoot from outside the box? They always miss from out there and leave great chances by just shooting the ball into the stands.

I thought "Work ball into the box" is the shout I should use, but I heard Rashidi say it prevents crosses.

it can also be related to your mentality set up and / or overall tactical set up leading to lack of space to penetrate into the opponent defensive line. Personally, I feel long shots are a bit exaggerated, I've posted several pkm files from AI matches.

5 minutes ago, Areolys said:

You can edit their personal instructions to shoot less often for those that you feel are culprits. Work Ball into Box does reduce crossing, so it isn't ideal, and there are times where you do want them shooting. Also don't discount what Pedro said above about your tactical setup. Most often your players are reduced to shots from range because they don't have other options.

58 minutes ago, Areolys said:

Here's a situation that just happened. And it's probably my first goal from that far out in 1 1/2 seasons.
And here's my Formation and my Instructions.

I'd like them to try a pass behind the defense either from behind or the flanks.

Duh! Forgot the link...

Yeah, so what I saw in that clip was what I expected to see-you were all clumped up in the middle. You had a man making a run, but he was blocked by an intervening defender. The wide right back wasn't available and the goalscorer took the backpass in a position that the left back wasn't an option. If this is something you are experiencign regularly, you can add the pass into space option which will encourage your players to try more through passes. If you want to retain wide options without using a winger, you can instruct one or both of your fullbacks to stay wider so they won't drift into the middle where you already are packed. I think in the clip your left support back was pretty narrow there.

49 minutes ago, Artin said:

With only a few minutes left and I'm chasing a goal, how can I make one of my CDs push forward and join the attack without moving him as a secondary striker in my formation?

I don't think you can, or if you can it's some method that I haven't heard of before.. If you use an overload strategy and go on the counter, he will bomb forward with the rest of team, but I know of no way to tell him him to play as a striker when you have the ball and a defender without it.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Hook said:

Yeah, so what I saw in that clip was what I expected to see-you were all clumped up in the middle. You had a man making a run, but he was blocked by an intervening defender. The wide right back wasn't available and the goalscorer took the backpass in a position that the left back wasn't an option. If this is something you are experiencign regularly, you can add the pass into space option which will encourage your players to try more through passes. If you want to retain wide options without using a winger, you can instruct one or both of your fullbacks to stay wider so they won't drift into the middle where you already are packed. I think in the clip your left support back was pretty narrow there.

Thanks!
I was thinking about changing the FB to WB and possibly take out the play narrow shout. I still want my two IF to move into the box and not stay out wide tough.

I've attached my latest match, where we had 15 shots but just 4 on target.

Just had a look back at my latest games...

Shots / on target: 20 / 9, 13 / 5, 15 / 6, 15 / 4, 5 / 0, 13 / 6
I knew we were giving up chances but I had no idea it was THAT bad... It also seems to mostly happen when I'm on control as opposed to counter.
Yeah, I just realized that I've set my instruction to play much narrower in my control tactic. :rolleyes:

Stones II v Keymer & Hassocks6.12.pkm

hey guys i'm from Indonesia and just joined this forum.. :)

i want to ask you guys about increasing attributes of the player especially the young ( wonderkids )...

this is the case, when i played AC Milan, i knew and noticed the attributes from Donnarumma and Romagnoli have increased..

but, they didn't developed better and faster like AI did...

i noticed it when i checked their attributes in end of the season, i looked and saw the triangle attributes, i know my players ( Donnarumma and Romagnoli ) developed, but when AI played AC Milan in my other saved game, they developed faster and when i saw their triangle attributes was bigger than mine..

would you give me any tips how to make my youngsters grow faster in a year,.. and what training i should do for ?

thank you.. :)

7 hours ago, Dr. Hook said:

Hi there,

This is what you're looking for:

Starting with Barnet, I literally know NONE of their players at all. Obviously the stats aren't the best for the players that's understandable, but what is the best way of creating the right tactic for them based on their ability. Rely on my assistant as a starting point in regards to formation and go from there or? 

Thanks 

31 minutes ago, imchrisjones said:

Starting with Barnet, I literally know NONE of their players at all. Obviously the stats aren't the best for the players that's understandable, but what is the best way of creating the right tactic for them based on their ability. Rely on my assistant as a starting point in regards to formation and go from there or? 

Thanks 

Here's how I'd do it:
Look at team report -> comparison and see where your team is particularly good at. Are they fast or slow? Can they pass well or not? What position are you stronger def or att? You get the point.
So let's say your team is not the fastest, but they are ok with passing and defending. So you'd do best with a defensive strategy that slowly builds up their play from deep. No need to go counter attacking if your players are slow.
With that in mind I'd look at the squad and see what's there. I'd then pick my 3 key players/stars and put then in their best role. From there I'd fill up the other slots around them so they supplement them. For example: Is your key player a DLF? He'll need someone that he can give the ball, so depending on your formation I'd add 1-2 players around him on attack. Or let's say you've got a strong WB. I'd then look to keep his side free and not play a winger up front. In addition I'd look to place the better defender next to him and look to fill in the slot in the midfield with someone else to cover for him.

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 16:34, Dr. Hook said:

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 16:13, Rashidi said:

Well going defensive certainly gets your strikers scoring - not bad for the defence either!!!  :)

scores%202_2.png

Edited by Sussex Hammer

27 minutes ago, Dr. Hook said:

Nice- and a nice example of how playing a bit deeper and managing the ball more conservatively can create space and chances.

Really pleased with it actually although it's all thanks to Knap as it's 99.9% his base.  Struggles a tad at times against lesser opposition but that's understandable as I suspect they will drop deeper, but defensive plays some really nice football and yet I am defending an awful lot better as well.  Not sure what I'll do once I go behind and need a goal though as attacking and overload are misunderstood I think and not necessarily the way to go if you need a goal.

I don't usually bother with PPM's in LL at least until Season 3, but I have a new save where my 32y old DC comes complete with the PPM "Marks Opponents Tightly". His Marking Skill is 6, and Decision Making stat is 9

Would this player with the above PPM still be better at marking than a player with a marking skill of  6 who does not have the PPM or would it be better if he un-learnt it?

Edited by Taipan

5 minutes ago, Taipan said:

I don't usually bother with PPM's in LL at least until Season 3, but I have a new save where my 32y old DC comes complete with the PPM "Marks Opponents Tightly". His Marking Skill is 6, and Decision Making stat is 9

Would this player with the above PPM still be better at marking than a player with a marking skill of  6 who does not have the PPM or would it be better if he un-learnt it?

Howdy Taips :D  How is his acceleration and strength? The PPM won't make him a better man marker, just sets how tight he gets to his target, just as if you'd set the PI for him. This could be a liability if he's weaker and/or slower than the strikers he is usually up against.

Hey Doc!

As you can see I'm still around kicking cans. :)

Thanks, yeah you just confirmed what I thought. Just logical stuff. This guy is "ok" in this position, and his other defensive stats give him a pass mark, so he can keep the PPM.

I find PPM's to be a liability in LLM than a help in most cases and don't even  bother training any up unless the player ticks the large majority of the stats required to preform the move.  

Edited by Taipan

53 minutes ago, Taipan said:

Hey Doc!

As you can see I'm still around kicking cans. :)

Thanks, yeah you just confirmed what I thought. Just logical stuff. This guy is "ok" in this position, and his other defensive stats give him a pass mark, so he can keep the PPM.

I find PPM's to be a liability in LLM than a help in most cases and don't even  bother training any up unless the player ticks the large majority of the stats required to preform the move.  

Same here - I don't even think about PPM for my lower leagues youths until a few years in.

It's comforting to see a fellow poster with over a decade notched up on this board still asking beginners' questions!  :D

hehe, 16+ years with this handle. I should be a 1999 vintage, but the forum had a hissy fit at once stage and my account got removed in error.

Must say it's what I love about this game. Always a question to ask, and always someone here to answer it. 

Well that new tactical revival didn't last long!!  6-0 up first leg of Europa League Semi so understandably I rested certain players to avoid suspension/injury and lost 2-1.  Happy with that as qualified and no injuries and suspensions but then went out and lost 5 on the bounce including two Cup Finals .  All this after going 8 games without conceding!!!  Even in FMT it seems morale takes precedence over tactics because I can't see any other reason for large gaps suddenly appearing, passes going astray, players running into blind alleys and players just walking about rather than closing down which they had been doing previously.  The game baffles me at times.  And three Cup Final defeats in the same year - Ouch!!!!

Untitled.png

Edited by Sussex Hammer

A couple of quick queries here if you've got a minute please chaps:

Is it possible to set up multiple sets of opposition instructions, or must I manually adjust my OIs if I switch my tactic?

When training a player, is it possible for me to select his primary focus and leave everything else to my assistant?  Whenever I try to get involved my meddling Ass Man changes the focus back once I've continued.

This is truly a stupid question.

I have 2 LBs that split time about 60-40.  1 is really, really good at crossing, so I always set him to "cross more."  The other one is better defensively, but not such a good crosser, so I leave him at the default.

How can I set my tactics so I don't have to keep changing?  I see some stuff in the tactic screen indicating it's possible to do that.  I'm just wondering how.  (This will help me at a bunch of areas.  I rotate a great deal, because I play an English team, so League Cup, FA Cup, etc.  And it's a pain in the neck to change my CDs to limited or ball playing, my AMC to hold ball or not, etc.)

Oh, and to make everyone happy:  last night I won a game at Stamford Bridge 1-0.  I played defensive the whole game, and scored on a set piece in the 87th minute.  The final stats had me with 1 half chance.  Chelsea had, IIRC, 4 CCCs and 5 half chances.  Over 30 total shots.

And I won and they lost.

:hammer::hammer::hammer:

42 minutes ago, superdave said:

This is truly a stupid question.

I have 2 LBs that split time about 60-40.  1 is really, really good at crossing, so I always set him to "cross more."  The other one is better defensively, but not such a good crosser, so I leave him at the default.

How can I set my tactics so I don't have to keep changing?  I see some stuff in the tactic screen indicating it's possible to do that.  I'm just wondering how.  (This will help me at a bunch of areas.  I rotate a great deal, because I play an English team, so League Cup, FA Cup, etc.  And it's a pain in the neck to change my CDs to limited or ball playing, my AMC to hold ball or not, etc.)

Oh, and to make everyone happy:  last night I won a game at Stamford Bridge 1-0.  I played defensive the whole game, and scored on a set piece in the 87th minute.  The final stats had me with 1 half chance.  Chelsea had, IIRC, 4 CCCs and 5 half chances.  Over 30 total shots.

And I won and they lost.

:hammer::hammer::hammer:

When you're on the player tactic screen (not team tactic) there's a column on the left where you can add players and when they're playing that position they get adjusted automatically. The page looks like this:

EF29944C98E28177CCD41378563735EA18EB09F0